[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

1 hour ago, kodos said:

Personally, I could deal with a 2025 1st, Raty and Mik for Guentzel if we really are going for it this year. I could not deal with giving up Lek or Willander.

Seems like a LOT for one single cup run, don't think that's the most sustainable way to make a contender. I'd rather we stop throwing futures away for just one run. If there's any way we can re-sign some of these guys then lovely, go for it, but Lindholm and Guentzel would look like pure rentals. Two firsts, 3 B-grade prospects and two 5M wingers for two rentals seems like way too much. 

If there's a crazy world in which we can re-sign Guentzel and Lindholm then go for it. Both are going to ask for 7-8M which we simply do not have and should not give them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Seems like a LOT for one single cup run, don't think that's the most sustainable way to make a contender. I'd rather we stop throwing futures away for just one run. If there's any way we can re-sign some of these guys then lovely, go for it, but Lindholm and Guentzel would look like pure rentals. Two firsts, 3 B-grade prospects and two 5M wingers for two rentals seems like way too much. 

If there's a crazy world in which we can re-sign Guentzel and Lindholm then go for it. Both are going to ask for 7-8M which we simply do not have and should not give them.

The thing about making a run though is you never know what your best chance could be. Maybe it’s this season? Maybe this is this team at its peak and it only goes down from here.

I hope not but they always say your best opportunity is the one you have now.

At least if they decide to go all in there won’t be any questions of what if we just added one more piece?

Im not gonna lose sleep over 1st round picks or B level prospects. Those pieces won’t help us in the next few years when this teams window will be the most open. Picks and prospects can always be recouped, chances to compete for the cup cant.

If that’s all it cost us I would say that’s a bargain based on the price for Lindholm. I think Guentzel is the better player.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I’d rather go after Toffoli than Guentzal

Guentzel is a better player than Toffoli in pretty much every way. That said, as much as I'd love to add him, I'd imagine Lindholm's are big add. We're likely looking more for a Martinook/B Tanev type now.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Guentzel is a better player than Toffoli in pretty much every way. That said, as much as I'd love to add him, I'd imagine Lindholm's are big add. We're likely looking more for a Martinook/B Tanev type now.

Better player sure. But it would cost less to get Toffoli. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Guentzel is a better player than Toffoli in pretty much every way.

Except for perhaps the cost to acquire, fitting his cap hit in & if there's any linging issues with his injury.

You also don't know if he's gonna have any chemistry with certain players.

In a small sample size you know Toffoli has some chemistry with Petey.   

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Better player sure. But it would cost less to get Toffoli. 

Once you're in the ballpark, you may as well just spend the extra bit and get the better player IMO. Toffoli's going to cost what 2 assets instead of 3?...meh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Except for perhaps the cost to acquire, fitting his cap hit in & if there's any linging issues with his injury.

Maybe Allvin can fool Dubas with Magic Beans 

4 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I actually think that is pretty key. Chemistry is a known for TT and an unknown for JG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I actually think that is pretty key. Chemistry is a known for TT and an unknown for JG

Agreed, just because you get a proven player doesn't mean they'll mesh with your team or culture.

I believe RT, PA & JR have a good handle on whether he'd be a good fit on the ice and in the room, clearly he's a proven winner, but...

I feel Pittsburgh doesn't really want to trade him unless they're getting an unbelievable package in return. 

Just my opinion however...

Edited by Blitz-Pix

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins/latest-news/vancouver-canucks-making-push-pittsburgh-penguins-jake-guentzel

Canucks Making Push for Penguins’ Jake Guentzel
The Vancouver Canucks are still in on a trade for the Pittsburgh Penguins star.

PITTSBURGH – Internally, the Pittsburgh Penguins are hunting for a playoff spot. Externally, however, things continue to lean toward Jake Guentzel finishing the season with a team not named the Penguins.

Guentzel’s name has been linked to numerous teams, and despite their earlier swing for Elias Lindholm, the Vancouver Canucks are still sniffing around. According to Rick Dhaliwal, the Canucks are still in the conversation, and the return for Pittsburgh would be enormous.

“I’m definitely hearing they are in on Guentzel,” Dhaliwal said. “The asking price is going to be massive. You can can re-sign the player, I guess. Or you can do a sign and trade.”

The Penguins have set the bar high for one of their top performers. Since breaking into the NHL, Guentzel has consistently been one of the Penguins’ most important players, forcing a hefty asking price.

“If you’re going to go after Guentzel,” Dhaliwal said. “They want a first-round pick, maybe a second. They want prospects, they want young players coming in.”

Part of the equation for teams interested in Guetnzel will be the topic of extending him after his contract expires at the end of the season. Guetnzel’s price tag is sure to be high, considering his pedigree both as a goal scorer and playoff performer.

On the free agent market, Guentzel could easily grab a deal that earns him $10 million against the salary cap yearly. Dhaliwal doesn’t think the number will be that high, but it's still a large cap hit.

“Then you’re going to have to give that guy $8-9 million,” Dhaliwal said.

Dhaliwal didn’t quite say those numbers as something he’s hearing or as speculation, but those have been popular options for Guentzel’s next contract.

The Canucks have a management group that is not afraid to take multiple big swings. Penguins fans should know Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin lead them. That familiarity between the Canucks’ front office and Guentzel is a big reason why they are still around the move, as well.

The Penguins are looking for a playoff push, and they just might get one, thanks to the magic of Sidney Crosby. It’s possible, however, that he’ll have to do it without Guentzel.

If the numbers that have been rumbling around for EP and Hronek are even close to accurate, it is not worth going crazy on Guentzel.
We won’t be able to afford him or Lindholm and that is a lot of assets for 1 playoff run based on performance of half a season. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins/latest-news/vancouver-canucks-making-push-pittsburgh-penguins-jake-guentzel

PITTSBURGH – Internally, the Pittsburgh Penguins are hunting for a playoff spot. Externally, however, things continue to lean toward Jake Guentzel finishing the season with a team not named the Penguins.

Guentzel’s name has been linked to numerous teams, and despite their earlier swing for Elias Lindholm, the Vancouver Canucks are still sniffing around. According to Rick Dhaliwal, the Canucks are still in the conversation, and the return for Pittsburgh would be enormous.

“I’m definitely hearing they are in on Guentzel,” Dhaliwal said. “The asking price is going to be massive. You can can re-sign the player, I guess. Or you can do a sign and trade.”

The Penguins have set the bar high for one of their top performers. Since breaking into the NHL, Guentzel has consistently been one of the Penguins’ most important players, forcing a hefty asking price.

“If you’re going to go after Guentzel,” Dhaliwal said. “They want a first-round pick, maybe a second. They want prospects, they want young players coming in.”

Part of the equation for teams interested in Guetnzel will be the topic of extending him after his contract expires at the end of the season. Guetnzel’s price tag is sure to be high, considering his pedigree both as a goal scorer and playoff performer.

On the free agent market, Guentzel could easily grab a deal that earns him $10 million against the salary cap yearly. Dhaliwal doesn’t think the number will be that high, but it's still a large cap hit.

Dhaliwal didn’t quite say those numbers as something he’s hearing or as speculation, but those have been popular options for Guentzel’s next contract.

The Canucks have a management group that is not afraid to take multiple big swings. Penguins fans should know Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin lead them. That familiarity between the Canucks’ front office and Guentzel is a big reason why they are still around the move, as well.

The Penguins are looking for a playoff push, and they just might get one, thanks to the magic of Sidney Crosby. It’s possible, however, that he’ll have to do it without Guentzel.

If we acquire Guentzel that probably makes Lindholm a rental imo, but I suppose it'd depend on how both perform post-deadline

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If we acquire Guentzel that probably makes Lindholm a rental imo, but I suppose it'd depend on how both perform post-deadline

Certainly would give us options. See who fits better etc. I could also see Guentzel as more of a target should Pettersson not extend. Get pieces for Pettersson, flip some of those for Guentzel (ala Hronek).

How about Lindholm and a 2nd for Guentzel? LOL

Pitts can then parlay Lindolm into the first and more. He doesn't seem to be fitting in here

Didn't trader Jim do that with Pearson and us? Brought him in, tried him out for a brief stint, didn't fit and moved him in the same season to us?

Not outside the realm of possibility.

Edited by Bardown

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Certainly would give us options. See who fits better etc. I could also see Guentzel as more of a target should Pettersson not extend. Get pieces for Pettersson, flip some of those for Guentzel (ala Hronek).

It's possible, I don't expect a Pettersson curveball though, it likely gets done

Guentzel would give him a legit running mate though, which is something he's lacked this season

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

What if Petey was traded for the 6 pieces involved with Carolina then those pieces flipped to PIT for Guentzel?

To CAR

Petey

To VAN

Necas

Kotkaniemi 

Heimosalmi

1st 

2nd

3rd

Then...

To PIT

Kotkaniemi

1st

2nd

To VAN

Guentzel

Necas-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Guentzel

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Mikheyev-Suter-Lafferty

Are we better or worse?

• chaos 1

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What if Petey was traded for the 6 pieces involved with Carolina then those pieces flipped to PIT for Guentzel?

To CAR

Petey

To VAN

Necas

Kotkaniemi 

Heimosalmi

1st 

2nd

3rd

Then...

To PIT

Kotkaniemi

1st

2nd

To VAN

Guentzel

Necas-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Mikheyev-Suter-Lafferty

Are we better or worse?

Hard to say, Lindholm still seems to be acclimatizing as is, Guentzel may have to adjust to whichever team he acquires as well, same would presumably go for Necas

Knock Pettersson or not, he already knows the systems and personnel 

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To CAR

Petey

To VAN

Necas

Kotkaniemi 

Heimosalmi

1st 

2nd

3rd

Then...

To PIT

Kotkaniemi

1st

2nd

To VAN

Guentzel

Necas-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Mikheyev-Suter-Lafferty

Are we better or worse?

Prefer Petey + Guentzel.

Lets do that instead.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Guentzel would be the exact kind of player this group needs down the stretch. 

Guentzel - Pettersson - Lindholm

Höglander - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Lafferty - Suter - Kessel?

That would be worth it. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Guentzel would be the exact kind of player this group needs down the stretch. 

Guentzel - Pettersson - Lindholm

Höglander - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Lafferty - Suter - Kessel?

That would be worth it. 

I would swap Kessel with someone like Duhaime. Much more suited to that role.

Other than that that’s a damn good looking forward group. Only tricky part is unloading Mikheyev.

• Like 1

if they go after geuntzel, they will re sign him, they will move out Milkeyev and let Lindholm walk most likely 

its going to be something like:

Milkeyev

2025 1st

Podkolzin

woo

or 

Milkeyev

2025 1st

Klimovich

Karlsson/Aman

woo 

Petey Miller Brock

Guentzel Lindholm Hogz

Joshua Bluegger Garland

Lafferty Suter Kessel 

Edited by canucks curse
  • Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 9:04 AM, DeNiro said:

The thing about making a run though is you never know what your best chance could be. Maybe it’s this season? Maybe this is this team at its peak and it only goes down from here.

I hope not but they always say your best opportunity is the one you have now.

At least if they decide to go all in there won’t be any questions of what if we just added one more piece?

Im not gonna lose sleep over 1st round picks or B level prospects. Those pieces won’t help us in the next few years when this teams window will be the most open. Picks and prospects can always be recouped, chances to compete for the cup cant.

If that’s all it cost us I would say that’s a bargain based on the price for Lindholm. I think Guentzel is the better player.

If it goes down from here, then I'm not sure why Petey would want to remain here.