[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

At this point, I find myself hoping someone else (in the East) trades for Guentzel quickly. 

Sometimes when you have to long to think about something you talk yourself into it. LOL

If he's off the table, we can hold onto our top prospects and move onto depth trades.

Realistically we've been upgrading our team all season, Desmith, Zadorov, Lindholm...don't know that we need to make a big splash at the deadline.

If we can't get it done in the playoffs we can address where we came up short in the off season.

At least we'll have most of our top prospects to address some of those areas (if any) 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

At this point, I find myself hoping someone else (in the East) trades for Guentzel quickly. 

Sometimes when you have to long to think about something you talk yourself into it. LOL

If he's off the table, we can hold onto our top prospects and move onto depth trades.

Realistically we've been upgrading our team all season, Desmith, Zadorov, Lindholm...don't know that we need to make a big splash at the deadline.

If we can't get it done in the playoffs we can address where we came up short in the off season.

At least we'll have most of our top prospects to address some of those areas (if any) 

We won't have much cap left if we decide to re-sign some of our FA's ...No better time then now to stock up and make a run!

• Like 1

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Toffoli kind of feels like the better fit. We know he did well with our core centres including Lindholm.
He has thrived under coaches like Tocch as well. 

Totally agree but I keep hearing NJ is a buyer so I wonder of they would even part with him; however, given how far they are out of the playoffs, hopefully he is an option for the Canucks.

23 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Honestly, I'm completely fine if we don't make another sizeable addition

I've always been more bullish on the importance of picks, prospects, and development than some, I'm not interested in our mortgaging the future 

Guentzel doesn't guarantee us anything, folks would do well to keep the fact that an all-time winning Bruins team got punted out in the first round in mind when considering big deadline trades

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

We won't have much cap left if we decide to re-sign some of our FA's ...No better time then now to stock up and make a run!

Your post works for both viewpoints, depending on if your pro or con for trading for Guentzel.

We won't have much Cap space regardless if we add him or not. If we do trade for him we're just in a deeper hole this off season with less prospects.

If we don't trade for him at least we'll have some prospects on ELC that we can let some of our FA walk, if we can't get them signed.

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Toffoli kind of feels like the better fit. We know he did well with our core centres including Lindholm.
He has thrived under coaches like Tocch as well. 

I totally agree and have suggested the same thing, Don't know the cost to aquire him though.

It could be ridiculous as well. LOL Worth checking into though.

Honestly, they might be better off poking at Vatrano, not that he'd be cheap either 

If nothing else they'd get this season and next out of his present cap hit, he'd be due for a solid raise though 

Almost at 30g already

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, if he doesn't resign with us, some other GM in the league is bound to be silly enough to offer him close to what he's asking for. I can see him walk for sure. We can't be paying Lindholm 8-9M to anchor the third line. That's absurd and not a good use of the cap or the money that we have. We could find or sign in free agency a better fit than that. And besides, Lindholm hasn't been that great offensively either. If he wants the bag, then he's gotta produce, and he hasn't done that consistenly enough up to this date. 

I mean that's not how you run a business or anything though. We can't be making decisions and handing out deals based on what other gm's might do? It's true we could lose all of our FA's Dak, Spluger, Zad, Laffer, Cole, Myers and Lindy if some other GM backs a truck up. We shouldn't partake in a bidding war when the numbers no longer work for our club it's time to walk away. 

That's why we have a pro scouting department. Of the guys mentioned only Dak and Myers were with our club before this year. And here we are. It's peoples jobs to find others to plug those holes. 

Lindy won't get 8+ mill anywhere, and if he does it won't be from us. I believe this MGMT knows when to hold and when to fold no matter the pot. 

• Cheers 2

Would rather see Greenway ($3M) and Toffoli ($4.25M) for depth in the forward group.

Greenway Miller Boeser

Toffoli EP Lindholm

DJ Blueger Garland

Hogs Suter Laff/xx

Could also put Lindholm on a purely defensive line depending on the match-ups, etc.

Out

Mik ($4.75M)

In

Toffoli ($3.19M - 25% retained)

Greenway ($3M)

That leaves a difference of approximately $1.44M, which I believe they will be able to cover with existing cap space, a demotion, cap gymnastics, etc.

Their long homestand and minimal travel should allow for some flexibility given the teams proximity to the Abby Canucks (i.e. call ups).

Re Guentzel now that Pete's signed I think I'm out on him. I would however still be in on Wilson and Giroux if we were able to send Mik the other way as part of the package. Those are really the only 2 big ticket guys I'm interested in. 

I still say we don't need more offence. Miller, Pete, Brock, Lindy, Hog, Garland is enough firepower for 3 waves. Ya our PP sucks but that's on the boys to figure that shit out with the talent on the ice it should be one of the best in the league. We don't need to put icing on our muffin and make our squad a cupcake. 

In the playoffs cups are won by winning 2-1 not 7-5 it's the 2-1 games that separate the contenders from the pretenders and swing a series. 

I'm going to keep spamming this. The guys I'm pining after to add to our group are Clutterbuck, Beck Malenstein, Brandon Duhaime, Colton Sissons, Sam Carrick guys who are going to help us win a 7 game war in the trenches. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Re Guentzel now that Pete's signed I think I'm out on him. I would however still be in on Wilson and Giroux if we were able to send Mik the other way as part of the package. Those are really the only 2 big ticket guys I'm interested in. 

I still say we don't need more offence. Miller, Pete, Brock, Lindy, Hog, Garland is enough firepower for 3 waves. Ya our PP sucks but that's on the boys to figure that shit out with the talent on the ice it should be one of the best in the league. We don't need to put icing on our muffin and make our squad a cupcake. 

In the playoffs cups are won by winning 2-1 not 7-5 it's the 2-1 games that separate the contenders from the pretenders and swing a series. 

I'm going to keep spamming this. The guys I'm pining after to add to our group are Clutterbuck, Beck Malenstein, Brandon Duhaime, Colton Sissons, Sam Carrick guys who are going to help us win a 7 game war in the trenches. 

Trenin as well.

15 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Would rather see Greenway ($3M) and Toffoli ($4.25M) for depth in the forward group.

Greenway Miller Boeser

Toffoli EP Lindholm

DJ Blueger Garland

Hogs Suter Laff/xx

Could also put Lindholm on a purely defensive line depending on the match-ups, etc.

Out

Mik ($4.75M)

In

Toffoli ($3.19M - 25% retained)

Greenway ($3M)

That leaves a difference of approximately $1.44M, which I believe they will be able to cover with existing cap space, a demotion, cap gymnastics, etc.

Their long homestand and minimal travel should allow for some flexibility given the teams proximity to the Abby Canucks (i.e. call ups).

The issue I have with Greenway is he's just not very good. If the price is right of course sure but I just feel like he's a player someone will over pay for and then realize he's not as good as they thought he was. He's more bark than bite. and doesn't have the skill around the net to be a Dave Boland let alone Buff.

On 1/4/2024 at 6:20 AM, ABNuck said:

I seem to recall a couple of other high flying penguins (Brown and Stevens) who crashed to earth after leaving the wings of a great (some say the greatest) setup man...what happen to Jake with no Sid? Is it really worth cashing out our future and possibly ending up with a bust? I know...nothing ventured, nothing gained...BUT...is our team really in that desperate a need this year? We will need those cheaper contracts next year if we're to stay competitive, so why give up an ELC and a reasonable contract (under 2mil) to potentially re-sign a player to 8+mil? Sorry sports fans, but this would make no sense...UNLESS...the management team already knows Petey is out the door.

Heh, BJ MacDonald 

I’d like to toffoli and duhaime

ep miller boeser 

tof Lind hog 

dak blue gar

laff sut duhaime

The Canucks , Lindy,  miller and others have a history with tof he’d be cheaper that Jake G 

If the cap would work mik in place of laff

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Honestly, I'm completely fine if we don't make another sizeable addition

I've always been more bullish on the importance of picks, prospects, and development than some, I'm not interested in our mortgaging the future 

Guentzel doesn't guarantee us anything, folks would do well to keep the fact that an all-time winning Bruins team got punted out in the first round in mind when considering big deadline trades

Lindholm is still adjusting but as it stands it hasn't been an upgrade. Our winning percentage is much worse since the trade. I'm typically not a fan of big deadline splashes.

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Yeah, I am kinda leaning this way myself now that we have the bulk of our core signed

It doesn't have to be a chips all in season

We made big improvements in 1 season (which I didn't think was possible)

I am not nervous whatever they decide to do

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Totally agree but I keep hearing NJ is a buyer so I wonder of they would even part with him; however, given how far they are out of the playoffs, hopefully he is an option for the Canucks.

Jersey stinks. Be foolish of them to be a buyer. 

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Being a buyer while being 8 points out seems kind of silly to me. 

46 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Lindholm is still adjusting but as it stands it hasn't been an upgrade. Our winning percentage is much worse since the trade. I'm typically not a fan of big deadline splashes.

That's the other thing, players don't acclimatize immediately all the time, and Lindholm is a better player offensively than he's looked

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jersey stinks. Be foolish of them to be a buyer. 

I wonder if they like Petey's new shiny affordable contract in trade for Luke and Jack now? Huh? Petey is looking pretty sweet for 8 years!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Lindholm - Vatrano

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Lafferty - Suter - Duhaime

Kessel

That is a waste of Pettersson. Miller and Brock dont need him, Petey can center now that the contract monkey is off his back.

4 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

That is a waste of Pettersson. Miller and Brock dont need him, Petey can center now that the contract monkey is off his back.

Faceoffs

Lindholm - 55.8%

Miller - 55%

Pettersson - 49.3%

Edited by Nucker67

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

One guy is the cause of the losing streak? ha ha ha if only one guy had so much power! He could ask for 20 mil x 8 years!