[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Where was Dakota Joshua when he was 24?  In the AHL?  Joshua didn’t even break out until he was 27. McBain is only 24. He will get much better. 

Just because you can name 1 player having done the unlikely in Joshua, it doesn't mean you can just name another player and that player would do the same thing. It's a lot more complicated than that.

19 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Just because you can name 1 player having done the unlikely in Joshua, it doesn't mean you can just name another player and that player would do the same thing. It's a lot more complicated than that.

True. But McBain has done more than Joshua did up until age 24. McBain was even put on Arizona’s top line for awhile this year. He is similar to Joshua in terms of how he plays the game. He’s a better skater though and a harder hitter and a better fighter. 

I think he is worth taking a look at for sure. Tocchet will love him and turn him into an even better player than Joshua. 

In fact, if Joshua demands too much money he might be Joshua’s replacement. 

19 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Canucks to Prospects:

1. Lekkeremaki

2. Willander 

3. D Petey 

4. Bains - ahl asg mvp

5. Silovs - recall word championship

6.Raty - ahl 37 pts in 52 gsmes

7. Podz

8. Sassons 

I'd have to believe that Lekkerimaki and Willander are off limits. 

Everyone else is game, if management is serious about acquiring Guentzel. If they give up Lekkerimaki and Willander, I think we're in trouble moving forward. 

27 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

That is super uncommon. McBain is worth a 4th or a depth prospect. Guy would be hard pressed to be on our 4th line. 

Bigger players take longer to develop. Tage Thompson also got traded and bounced around until he was 24/25. 

I disagree about how he wouldn’t even make our team. I would literally play him with Petey. 

My preference is Toffoli over Guentzel, but 2 players I hope we pursue are Will Borgen from SEA and Jordan Greenway from BUF for solid playoff depth options.

Toffoli would just be a rental but I imagine Mikheyev and 2nd/3rd is his cost, and each of Borgen (2.5 mill cap hit expiring end of next season) and Greenway (3mill cap hit expiring end of next season but next year has NMC) may possibly be had for a 3rd rounder. If we’re going all in, we can still do so by minimizing cost of acquisition all the while obtaining value adds. Would be tight fit under cap for this year but those 3 combined I think provide sufficient coverage for a playoff run and a solid base framework for insulation against any potential exiting players/expiring contracts at season end and onwards going into next season. 

Borgen plays RD but could take over Cole’s spot should he sign elsewhere, and is about the same size and plays a similar game.

Greenway would slide into a portion of the Toffoli cap space, can play either side W, and would add such a valuable combo of size and skill into our top 9. If the 3rd line is blown up in the offseason and Garland traded and/or Blueger Joshua price themselves out of range, then we have at least leveraged against some of that loss with Greenway on our roster. 

Just both solid options imho.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bigger players take longer to develop. Tage Thompson also got traded and bounced around until he was 24/25. 

I disagree about how he wouldn’t even make our team. I would literally play him with Petey. 

You're out to lunch on this one... hard. Thompson was a first round pick. He isn't a comparable for McBain. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd have to believe that Lekkerimaki and Willander are off limits. 

Everyone else is game, if management is serious about acquiring Guentzel. If they give up Lekkerimaki and Willander, I think we're in trouble moving forward. 

D Petey I think is also untouchable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That is Podz place

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

D Petey I think is also untouchable 

I think he's an important prospect, but I don't think he can be classified as untouchable. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

D Petey I think is also  almost untouchable 

There, fixed it for ya.  That being said, I really hope they don't trade him too.  Him and Willander would make a great future D pair.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Canucks to Prospects:

1. Lekkeremaki

2. Willander 

3. D Petey 

4. Bains - ahl asg mvp

5. Silovs - recall word championship

6.Raty - ahl 37 pts in 52 gsmes

7. Podz

8. Sassons 

Sell high on Bains

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Dom said:

I don't understand this one.. another tiny guy, we need a hulking top 6. 

A “tiny guy” that was a key contributor in winning a cup.

Last time I checked the reigning conn Smythe winner is a tiny guy.

We need guys that can put the puck in the net.

14 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

On Friedman's 32 thoughts he mentioned that Dubas would prefer two prospects vs a prospect and a 1st, they want players who will fit sooner than later 

Maybe one would be Podz, but I question who the other would be

I question the trade value of other forward prospects not named Lekkerimaki, maybe Raty, and that of D not named Willander and Pettersson 

Could see them asking for Hoglander too, he fits the bill as a young NHL forward with upside

Pittsburgh's ask may be what closes the door for us

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-a-note-on-every-team-to-open-trade-deadline-week/

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

yup, hes a playoff beast, thats were he becomes a demon, why JR likes him so much

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yup who played with the best in the world in Crosby. Have a feeling this is another Lindholm. 

Plus A LOT of other teams after him - would rather not blow up the prospect pool. 

Edited by Dom

2 minutes ago, Dom said:

I don't understand this one.. another tiny guy, we need a hulking top 6. 

Would rather the team grab Brad Duhaime and Jordan Greenway for the fourth line, and Erik Johnson for the defense. Move Aman, PDG down to Abbotsford, and trade Mikeyev and Cole.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Suter - Lindholm - Hoglander

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Duhaime - Lafferty - Greenway

Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Zadorov

Myers - Johnson

Juulsen

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

If it removes Mikheyev and his future cap hit from the lineup, then it's basically 2 birds with 1 stone:

1. Acquiring a top 6 goal scorer.

2. Removing future cap commitment and increasing flexibility for re-signing UFAs/RFAs (read: cap dump).

From that perspective, I can see why PA/JR are considering it. 

1 minute ago, Dom said:

Yup who played with the best in the world in Crosby. Have a feeling this is another Lindholm. 

Plus A LOT of other teams after him - would rather not blow up the prospect pool. 

Considering we don't have many blue chip prospects with trade value, I agree

• Like 1