[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

I like Toffoli over Guentzel, he would be cheaper and the players have history with him.  But what do the Devils want what the Canucks have?  Allvin doesn't want to trade Willander or Lekkerimäki but can the Canucks trade say a Myers for a late 1st rounder or 2nd rounder to then use that pick and get Toffoli.  Similar to how the Canucks got Hronek.  They didn't have the assets to get Hronek, they had to trade to get the assets Detroit wanted.  With Petey signed it will give Allvin something to sell trade deadline acquisitions and enough time to work his magic.   I know the Canucks were thin on the right side but with the emergence of Juulsen and Zadorov able to play on the right side, and Friedman the Canucks would be ok and would have enough cap space to shore up any RHD deficiencies. 

I prefer Toffoli as well but I don’t see the Canucks wanting to part with Myers before a cup run. 

I don’t see the value in giving up any oF

Raty

Podz

Lek

Willander 

EP2

those are all players who could be part of the next core and the support for the existing core 

Find a lower cost player and go with what we got. 

We want multiple runs not just a couple 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Makes sense, I'm pretty sure I've said it in this thread before, but if the Pens are looking for prospects/young NHL'ers than Hoglander would probably appeal to them 

Maybe moreso than Podz given his production 

Does this make sense to the Canucks Cap? next 5 years? Fuck no. of course Pens want that deal every frigging day. but they better throw in Crosby with %50 retention on both them old dudes.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

They don't have much to offer in the way of prospects at this point

What they do have is almost all of their picks over the next three drafts, they're only missing a 4th this draft and a 7th next season 

If a team is gonna overpay with picks it'll likely be Vegas 

Hmm that's what I thought too, which is why Vegas might not be able to offer the best package if Pens don't want picks.

• Huggy Bear 1

54 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Dude are you serious?  It's not like Toffoli never played with the Flames.  It was an easy mistake a lot more excusable than your response.  

Dude…. Maybe get your facts straight rather than playing victim after a terrible comment 😂

10 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Raty

Podz

Lek

Willander 

EP2

those are all players who could be part of the next core and the support for the existing core 

I want one successful one. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Canucks, Golden Knights Among “Legit Suitors” For Jake Guentzel

March 4th, 2024 at 2:06pm CST • By Josh Erickson

The Canucks and Golden Knights are among the teams making serious offers for star Penguins winger Jake Guentzel ahead of the trade deadline, Pierre LeBrun of TSN and The Athletic reports Monday. The two Pacific Division squads are among at least six “legit suitors” for his services.

Pittsburgh was viewed as a team with uncertain status heading into deadline season a few weeks ago, but three straight losses now have them 10 points out of a playoff spot and hurtling toward seller status. As such, the likelihood of them parting ways with Guentzel this week has skyrocketed, with the team reportedly preferring high-end prospects in return rather than first-round draft picks.

If that’s the case, Vancouver has the much stronger arsenal to deal from. The team recalled 2019 top-10 pick Vasily Podkolzin from AHL Abbotsford over the weekend, and he made his season debut yesterday against the Ducks, speculatively as a showcase for a trade. Offers centered around him, such as 2022 first-round pick Jonathan Lekkerimäki or 2023 first-round pick Tom Willander, are likely to draw the attention of Penguins GM Kyle Dubas.

In comparison, Vegas’ potential offer could center around 2020 late first-round pick Brendan Brisson or 2023 selection David Edstrom, the last pick of the first round, who grades out as a potential high-end third-line center.

Importantly, neither team has the long-term flexibility to ink the pending UFA to an extension. The Golden Knights are averaging less than a $1MM cap hit in space for every open roster spot next season, while the Canucks need to allocate a significant chunk of next season’s spending to their defense – only Quinn Hughes and Noah Juulsen are signed through next season or longer. Guentzel’s $6MM cap hit would also pose an insurmountable salary cap hurdle for Vancouver and Vegas, so the team must retain half of his salary in any potential deal.

Both teams could use the top-line help, however. Canucks star center Elias Petterssonis currently flanked by Nils Höglander and Pius Suter, both of whom are better suited for middle-six roles. Vegas, meanwhile, is still looking to shoulder the loss of captain Mark Stone for the rest of the regular season, and potentially the playoffs, due to a lacerated spleen.

While also injured, Guentzel is nearing a return from an upper-body injury that’s kept him out since mid-February and should be ready to return shortly after the deadline. He has 22 goals and 52 points in 50 games this season, set to eclipse the point-per-game mark for the fourth time in the last five years.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/canucks-golden-knights-among-legit-suitors-for-jake-guentzel.html#ref=home

Well... now that guy doesnt know jack shit? Canucks star center Elias Petterssonis currently flanked by Nils Höglander and Pius Suter, both of whom are better suited for middle-six roles

I really really hope Canucks are smarter than the friggin reporters.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Does this make sense to the Canucks Cap? next 5 years? Fuck no. of course Pens want that deal every frigging day. but they better throw in Crosby with %50 retention on both them old dudes.

Settle down, I didn't say trade him

Pittsburgh have the most coveted forward on the market, they're going to ask for pieces teams and fans would be reluctant to move

They're not trading him for peanuts

• chaos 1

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

what do you suggest 

More than the Lindholm trade is a realistic offer.  People won't be happy about it, but it will be reality.  Guentzel should net a pretty decent hall.

25 minutes ago, Wing said:

Hmm that's what I thought too, which is why Vegas might not be able to offer the best package if Pens don't want picks.

Pens could probably fetch a very nice return if they sent Guentzel and Reilly Smith to VGK in a package 

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Pens could probably fetch a very nice return if they sent Guentzel and Reilly Smith to VGK in a package 

but can Vegas afford 5 million next year for an over the hill smith ???

Just now, canucks curse said:

but can Vegas afford 5 million next year for an over the hill smith ???

Seems Vegas only takes things one year at a time to begin with and still manages to succeed 

38 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Raty

Podz

Lek

Willander 

EP2

Then unfortunately, you won't get anyone worth trading for unless is a bottom 6.

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Settle down, I didn't say trade him

Pittsburgh have the most coveted forward on the market, they're going to ask for pieces teams and fans would be reluctant to move

They're not trading him for peanuts

Yup. People are overvaluing our "prospects", and undervaluing JG...and acting as if he's old, he's 29 haha. The guy is a stud, and would be great here.

And obviously we'd want ink to paper and not just a rental, and if that were the case then throwing Hogz to the Pens isn't even a debate, gotta give to get (and I love the kid like everyone else too)

But....I think the real question that no one seems to be asking, is IF we acquired JG and another D-Man, how much better our our chances in winning a SC NOW??? I think if everything gels, we could do some damage.

I like our squad, and I think a player like JG, (and let's not forget Phil the Thrill) these two guys would be significant adds that could put us over the top....sometimes we gotta step up to the table and "roll the bones" and go for it, and I like that JR/PA have the balls to do the necessary and even unpopular moves...

Personally, I would empty the cupboards for the next 10 years if I knew a SC was coming here in a couple of months

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yup. People are overvaluing our "prospects", and undervaluing JG...and acting as if he's old, he's 29 haha. The guy is a stud, and would be great here.

And obviously we'd want ink to paper and not just a rental, and if that were the case then throwing Hogz to the Pens isn't even a debate, gotta give to get (and I love the kid like everyone else too)

But....I think the real question that no one seems to be asking, is IF we acquired JG and another D-Man, how much better our our chances in winning a SC NOW??? I think if everything gels, we could do some damage.

I like our squad, and I think a player like JG, (and let's not forget Phil the Thrill) these two guys would be significant adds that could put us over the top....sometimes we gotta step up to the table and "roll the bones" and go for it, and I like that JR/PA have the balls to do the necessary and even unpopular moves...

Personally, I would empty the cupboards for the next 10 years if I knew a SC was coming here in a couple of months

I'd rather not pay for him precisely because of what it'd cost, he will not be cheap

We're not going to outright win every trade, we're not going to always get players we want for moderate prices like we did with Zadorov

The NHL does not revolve around the Canucks, bottom line is that if Dubas is trading Guentzel he needs as close to a home run as possible, Guentzel is the best trade chip he has and the Penguins can't afford to flub it 

Maybe he'd put us over the top, but Cinderella runs are unusual and Cinderella run winners even moreso, I'm not sold on us being contenders this season

Do we have a shot? Sure, but our core is also relatively inexperienced come playoff time, I reckon we go out within the first couple rounds 

Would I love to be wrong about that? Sure, but I reckon we'll have to pay our dues in the playoffs like most teams who eventually break through do beforehand 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I think the point that perhaps you need to consider isn’t necessarily anyone overvaluing any prospects but more so the premise of valuing said prospects for their fit to OUR team going forward. That’s the value. And going all in on a cup run doesn’t have to mean decimating your short term future…and ability to cost balance and retain your top players going forward.

We didn’t stock the cupboard to blow it all on a single run. We built it up as part of a process of succession.

You might want to revisit the value in that because previous to this regime, the pipeline and development side of this franchise has been shit and our asset pool even for trade was far less than enticing. 

I’m with you though in that this is THE year to lay it all out on the line and (within reason) load up 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Ok, if we cant get toffoli from LA maybe we can get Tanner pearson from LA for Hoglander

giraffes fighting GIF
There’s just a whole lot of Giraffe chaos vibe on this quote…

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

max sassons 

9 months older than podz, C, similar size to Podz, nearly identical point totals, Sassons has 1 more point than podz in 3 less games... why is no one talking about this guy????

cause Podz has the juice. Podz hasnt played in Abby like he can play with top end players.

45 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Well... now that guy doesnt know jack shit? Canucks star center Elias Petterssonis currently flanked by Nils Höglander and Pius Suter, both of whom are better suited for middle-six roles

I really really hope Canucks are smarter than the friggin reporters.

It's sometimes hard to take these writers seriously...do they even fact check?   Tidbit from the article.... 

"the Canucks need to allocate a significant chunk of next season’s spending to their defense – only Quinn Hughes and Noah Juulsen are signed through next season or longer" 

I know we haven't seen much of him this season, but I'm pretty sure we signed Soucy to a 3 year deal. I get what they're saying though.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I think the point that perhaps you need to consider isn’t necessarily anyone overvaluing any prospects but more so the premise of valuing said prospects for their fit to OUR team going forward. That’s the value. And going all in on a cup run doesn’t have to mean decimating your short term future…and ability to cost balance and retain your top players going forward.

We didn’t stock the cupboard to blow it all on a single run. We built it up as part of a process of succession.

You might want to revisit the value in that because previous to this regime, the pipeline and development side of this franchise has been shit and our asset pool even for trade was far less than enticing. 

I’m with you though in that this is THE year to lay it all out on the line and (within reason) load up 

I would rather trust the team we have, then give up our future 4, 5 or 6 years. maybe we make past first round? success

maybe we win second round?

Success.

Western conf? obvious, one of our conditional pik is based on this outcome.... SUCCESS

If we cant trust ourselves there is no point.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

I would rather trust the team we have, then give up our future 4, 5 or 6 years. maybe we make past first round? success

Success.

Western conf? obvious, one of our conditional pik is based on this outcome.... SUCCESS

How many times have we said we can’t trade the farm and then those players turn out to be duds? 😂

Im not saying trade every prospect, but fans have to realize most prospects don’t pan out. They’re lottery tickets. Simply collecting a bunch of them doesn’t guarantee anything.

I trust that this management has a good idea of who’s untouchable and who we’re able to part with.

The window is now though. Better get used to us dealing out players that won’t help us in the next few years.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Success.

for sure/ the other side to this is the roster and factoring in the pride and camaraderie they might already have affected by performing as well as they have on their own, themselves. Sometimes the balance can become a bit delicate when you introduce new faces to replace some of the ones (or their roles) that helped carry a team thus far. It’s a bit of a gamble that way, imho. I realize it’s pro sports and it’s highly transactional, but I just can’t help but feel that the chemistry is good with this team and I worry about tinkering with it too much. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1