[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

14 minutes ago, RWJC said:

for sure/ the other side to this is the roster and factoring in the pride and camaraderie they might already have affected by performing as well as they have on their own, themselves. Sometimes the balance can become a bit delicate when you introduce new faces to replace some of the ones (or their roles) that helped carry a team thus far. It’s a bit of a gamble that way, imho. I realize it’s pro sports and it’s highly transactional, but I just can’t help but feel that the chemistry is good with this team and I worry about tinkering with it too much. 

our current core, JT (traded) Demko, Petterson, Boeser, Hughes (all drafted born and raised Canucks)

Our sub core is our drafted talent. Who are growing into the core, watching Hogz/Podz.

Dont give up our core, give away anyone else as fancy as the stats say they are.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bardown said:

I don’t see the value in giving up any oF

Raty

Podz

Lek

Willander 

EP2

those are all players who could be part of the next core and the support for the existing core 

Find a lower cost player and go with what we got. 

We want multiple runs not just a couple 

Raty doesn't belong on that list.. 

But the other 4 no way I'm trading them. 

Raty I'd gladly trade as part of package for Guentzel but he'll require one of the 3 top young prospects. And no way I'm trading any of those 3. 

Guentzel will be too expensive for us. Lekkerimaki/Willander + Raty + pick + Mikheyev 

Way too expensive. I wouldn't do it..

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Then unfortunately, you won't get anyone worth trading for unless is a bottom 6.

So be it. Those players are going to be key to keeping our window open long term.

They will be needed when we re sign Hughes, Demko and Hronek as you need  young cheap talent to offset those contracts. 

if you don’t well end up like Toronto or Edmonton. Top heavy with bottom 6 AHL junk 

• Cheers 2

On 3/3/2024 at 1:22 PM, Chicken. said:

Part of me wants to switch Suter with Hog

I guess going with the hot hand at the time would work as well

They have played parts of 33 games together 113mins. It hasn't been the desired results. 7gf 6ga vs Suter in 149 mins together 14gf and only 3 against. Suter on that line is money it's not about the points it's about the goals against.

That line plays top matchups Suter allows Miller Brock more freedom to play offense without getting burned. 

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Raty I'd gladly trade as part of package for Guentzel but he'll require one of the 3 top young prospects. And no way I'm trading any of those 3. 

Guentzel will be too expensive for us. Lekkerimaki/Willander + Raty + pick + Mikheyev 

i'm ok with letting lekkerimaki go if it means mikheyev going the other way and guentzel re-signing in vancouver. that'll give us 2 scoring duo miller with boeser guentzel and ep. we are too hell bent on holding on to every single one of our top prospect.. good chance out of D EP, raty, lekkerimaki, willander.. there's more than 50% chance for each that don't become an impact player.. lekkerimaki have skill and talent.. but this forum was drooling over karlsson 2 seasons ago in the SHL.. where is he now? still in the ahl 2 years later can't even crack the lineup at 24. but again i would only move these prospect if the player coming back is not a rental or we are re-signing them. mikheyev is a cap dump he has 0 value for rebuilding teams and cost quick a bit of cash.. 

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm ok with letting lekkerimaki go if it means mikheyev going the other way and guentzel re-signing in vancouver. that'll give us 2 scoring duo miller with boeser guentzel and ep. we are too hell bent on holding on to every single one of our top prospect.. good chance out of D EP, raty, lekkerimaki, willander.. there's more than 50% chance for each that don't become an impact player.. lekkerimaki have skill and talent.. but this forum was drooling over karlsson 2 seasons ago in the SHL.. where is he now? still in the ahl 2 years later can't even crack the lineup at 24. but again i would only move these prospect if the player coming back is not a rental or we are re-signing them. mikheyev is a cap dump he has 0 value for rebuilding teams and cost quick a bit of cash.. 

Karlsson didn’t even start playing in the SHL until he was 22.  Lekkerimäki is already dominating at 19.  He is closer to Naslund than he is to Karlsson.  Lekkerimäki has a world class release and shot that Karlsson can only dream of. 

• Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

You definitely have to give value to get value,but the negative to trading Lekkerimaki is that he is cost controlled and his ELC would provide real value to us when the OEL cap hit increases. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Karlsson didn’t even start playing in the SHL until he was 22.  Lekkerimäki is already dominating at 19.  He is closer to Naslund than he is to Karlsson.  Lekkerimäki has a world class release and shot that Karlsson can only dream of. 

At the end of the day a prospect is a prospect a high end prospect have a better chance of being successful in the nhl but at the same time they have a far bigger chance of being nothing spectacular. What is the % of prospect dominating certain league turn into a star? It’s still relatively low. Like I said if we moving one of those prospect it better be re signed and not a rental otherwise it’s a easy no

If I heard correctly on SNET just now, apparently PIT isn’t interested in Hoglander but we are still the frontrunner to land  Guentzel despite VGK’s LTIR space…?

24 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

At the end of the day a prospect is a prospect a high end prospect have a better chance of being successful in the nhl but at the same time they have a far bigger chance of being nothing spectacular. What is the % of prospect dominating certain league turn into a star? It’s still relatively low. Like I said if we moving one of those prospect it better be re signed and not a rental otherwise it’s a easy no

In the last 10 years (2013 - present) we drafted the following NHL Players (all these players were picked in the first 3 rounds) 

The highlighted ones I would say make up our core (right now) I would say 1 player out of each draft hits, usually the 1st rounders.

There were others not included in this list that could still turn out but i didn't include them as they were drafted after the 3rd round (IE Silvos) 

2013 Horvat - Turned into Hronek 

2014 Demko & McCann - who we traded away 

2015 Boeser & Brisbois 

2016 was a dud

2017 Elais Pettersson

2018 Quinn Hughes

2019 Vasily Podkolzen & Nils Hoglander 

2020 bit of a dud as well

Players picked from 2021 on are prospects that might hit...Bolded ones are potential home runs (IMO).  

2021 Danila Klimovich

2022 Jonathan Lekkermaiki & D-Petey 

2023 Tom Willander  

I would say the players we've drafted and developed have shaped this team into what it is. Which is why I'm leary of trading top prospects away.

We got a top Goaltender, # 1 Center, # 1 D-man and good support players from drafting.    

Edited by Blitz-Pix

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

yeah, i'm not doing that deal either if it means that we have to part with Lekkerimäki or Willander, Podkolzin or Höglander, or DPetey. No to any of those guys for a pending UFA. I know Petey needs a winger, could we find someone that wouldn't cost those five guys? 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RWJC said:

If I heard correctly on SNET just now, apparently PIT isn’t interested in Hoglander but we are still the frontrunner to land  Guentzel despite VGK’s LTIR space…?

This scares me. What is Allvin and Rutherford offering that would make us the front runners? They must be dangling Willander and/or Lekkerimäki??? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

So be it. Those players are going to be key to keeping our window open long term.

They will be needed when we re sign Hughes, Demko and Hronek as you need  young cheap talent to offset those contracts. 

if you don’t well end up like Toronto or Edmonton. Top heavy with bottom 6 AHL junk 

Yeah, we need cheap ELC contracts coming up to play on the roster as well. 

Höglander at 1.1M 

Podkolzin (whatever he's making)

Willander 

Lekkerimäki 

DPetey

etc 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah, i'm not doing that deal either if it means that we have to part with Lekkerimäki or Willander, Podkolzin or Höglander, or DPetey. No to any of those guys for a pending UFA. I know Petey needs a winger, could we find someone that wouldn't cost those five guys? 

Tofolli

3 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

If we were to trade for Guentzel I'd give up 

Mikheyev - who I think Dubas likes

Raty 

Bains 

3rd round pick 

Unfortunately I don't think that gets it done 

Nope, not even close to getting it done. Who's the top prospect there? Räty and Bains? Dubas Laughs at Allvin's face and then hangs up on him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd rather not pay for him precisely because of what it'd cost, he will not be cheap

We're not going to outright win every trade, we're not going to always get players we want for moderate prices like we did with Zadorov

The NHL does not revolve around the Canucks, bottom line is that if Dubas is trading Guentzel he needs as close to a home run as possible, Guentzel is the best trade chip he has and the Penguins can't afford to flub it 

Maybe he'd put us over the top, but Cinderella runs are unusual and Cinderella run winners even moreso, I'm not sold on us being contenders this season

Do we have a shot? Sure, but our core is also relatively inexperienced come playoff time, I reckon we go out within the first couple rounds 

Would I love to be wrong about that? Sure, but I reckon we'll have to pay our dues in the playoffs like most teams who eventually break through do beforehand 

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

I think the point that perhaps you need to consider isn’t necessarily anyone overvaluing any prospects but more so the premise of valuing said prospects for their fit to OUR team going forward. That’s the value. And going all in on a cup run doesn’t have to mean decimating your short term future…and ability to cost balance and retain your top players going forward.

We didn’t stock the cupboard to blow it all on a single run. We built it up as part of a process of succession.

You might want to revisit the value in that because previous to this regime, the pipeline and development side of this franchise has been shit and our asset pool even for trade was far less than enticing. 

I’m with you though in that this is THE year to lay it all out on the line and (within reason) load up 

I don't disagree with any of what you guys are saying, but I'm sure you're both half my age, and haven't been through the dark days of the 70's and 80's, waiting....hoping....staring into the abyss......I am beyond fuckin' impatient, I want a cup NOW hahaha 🍻

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Can Vegas offer that?

No so you only need to offer a bit more than them.

Podkolzin and a prospect  like Raty or D-Petey is probably the ask.

Would hurt to lose Podkolzin, but I'd do Podkolzin and Räty for Guentzel. We keep a defensive prospect. Sucks to lose Podz though. 

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

This scares me. What is Allvin and Rutherford offering that would make us the front runners? They must be dangling Willander and/or Lekkerimäki??? 

Dont rush in to it.You have old fox on helm.

7 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

If we were to trade for Guentzel I'd give up 

Mikheyev - who I think Dubas likes

Raty 

Bains 

3rd round pick 

Unfortunately I don't think that gets it done 

If you put 1 st maybe

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Nope, not even close to getting it done. Who's the top prospect there? Räty and Bains? Dubas Laughs at Allvin's face and then hangs up on him. 

As I said, I don't think it gets done...1 player, 2 prospects (that are close) and a draft pick for a RENTAL is a lot but we are talking about Guentzel. 

I'd be happy if someone else signs him at this point TBH.  

Edited by Blitz-Pix