[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

If there's a deal there will be cap for next year moving out again for sure Mikheyev makes sense, helps possibly resign someone next year. If we send away two 1sts and all the other little things and cant resign everyone these trades are gonna look like big losses if they don't go far in the playoffs. 

Would people be open to moving Hoglander for Guentzel assuming an extension is in place.

hear me out before you spaz 

Hogs is playing great and I love him, that being said, he’s still getting limited minutes, particularly given his performance. This would suggest he hasn’t fully got Tocchet’s “trust” defensively. They said this on Halford and Brough today. 

as good as he’s been, Guentzel is clearly a much better top 6 winger. He’s proven, in the playoffs as well.

this allows us to sell high, keep podz and upgrade top 6. 

Podz is a much more well rounded player, and will probably be more valuable down the road.

i thought about this today, and I think Hogz being the core piece would address Pens high value ask and probably not hurt us for our run. 

I would miss Hogz, but I think I’d be more worried giving up podz long term. 

and “asset management” we’d be selling high. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Friedman suggesting Nashville might poach Guentzel. Now that actually makes some sense. 

They certainly have the picks to do it, less sure about the prospects but Matthew Wood and Felix Nilsson are their first and second round picks from this past draft

Maybe Joakim Kemmel, their top pick from 2022 or Tanner Molendyk, the 24th OA from 2023

Speaking of strictly picks, they have their 1st over the next three seasons as well as Tampa's 1st next season, three 2nd's this draft, a couple 3rd's this draft, and most of their other picks over the next three drafts 

If Nashville actually wants to pay it's doubtful either Vancouver or Vegas could outbid them, they could use firepower up front, but it comes down to whether Guentzel would extend there 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

our current core, JT (traded) Demko, Petterson, Boeser, Hughes (all drafted born and raised Canucks)

Our sub core is our drafted talent. Who are growing into the core, watching Hogz/Podz.

Dont give up our core, give away anyone else as fancy as the stats say they are.

I was so wrong about JT that I have to say ‘no comment’.  OK, enough of that. Since CAP space will be such a huge issue for the Canucks I doubt there is a big deal. Guentzel will have a high ask and then resigning him will be CAP heavy with term. Cannot see how PA makes that work?

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They certainly have the picks to do it, less sure about the prospects but Matthew Wood and Felix Nilsson are their first and second round picks from this past draft

Maybe Joakim Kemmel, their top pick from 2022 or Tanner Molendyk, the 24th OA from 2023

Speaking of strictly picks, they have their 1st over the next three seasons as well as Tampa's 1st next season, three 2nd's this draft, a couple 3rd's this draft, and most of their other picks over the next three drafts 

If Nashville actually wants to pay it's doubtful either Vancouver or Vegas could outbid them, they could use firepower up front, but it comes down to whether Guentzel would extend there 

I'd be good with that.  Tired of VGK poaching all the big name guys and putting guys on LTIR to make it work until playoff time. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd be good with that.  Tired of VGK poaching all the big name guys and putting guys on LTIR to make it work until playoff time. 

They'll get someone, just a matter of who

Trotz is a real wildcard in Nashville

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

What makes you think our timeline is just 3-5 years?

i'd suggest its more likely to be this and next and then in 3 years and for the next 5 years+...,

Once OEL cap is gone we are in Peteys Prime and QHs as well... we are going to cook at that time. 

Demko will be 33 in 5 years assuming he re-sign and stay with the Canucks. There’s no guarantees silov will be the next Demko. Then we are into the likely declined miller and Hughes re-signing with the Canucks is not a slam dunk. Especially if the CRA wins against Tavares and the government goes after signing bonus for athletes. How many teams in the nhl have you seen in recent years have legitimate extended windows? There are a few but not many. Chicago with Kane and Toews Pittsburgh with Malkin and Crosby Tampa with their infinite stars.. I don’t think any of the Canucks star are anything close to those guys at their peak prime. By the time OEL cap is finally gone.. ep will be at the tail end of his prime. Hughes will prolly need a contract in the 14-15mil range in 4 years time if he decides to stay. There’s way too many uncertainty beyond the 3-5 years 

45 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Would people be open to moving Hoglander for Guentzel assuming an extension is in place.

Hogs is playing great and I love him, that being said, he’s still getting limited minutes, particularly given his performance. This would suggest he hasn’t fully got Tocchet’s “trust” defensively. They said this on Halford and Brough today. 

as good as he’s been, Guentzel is clearly a much better top 6 winger. He’s proven, in the playoffs as well.

Podz is a much more well rounded player, and will probably be more valuable down the road.

i thought about this today, and I think Hogz being the core piece would address Pens high value ask and probably not hurt us for our run. 

What is Hogs further upside? He could be a 40 goal player as a top 6 and more TOI. He isn’t a finished product yet. Pitt would be giving up a player they might not be able to resign but so could Vancouver. Extension in place it could happen. 

49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was so wrong about JT that I have to say ‘no comment’.  OK, enough of that. Since CAP space will be such a huge issue for the Canucks I doubt there is a big deal. Guentzel will have a high ask and then resigning him will be CAP heavy with term. Cannot see how PA makes that work?

I am hopeful that PA does not make that work. We got everything we need, I hope we dont lose Podz because some other team sees what he got. I hope PA and Tocc sees what Podz got.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What is Hogs further upside? He could be a 40 goal player as a top 6 and more TOI. He isn’t a finished product yet. Pitt would be giving up a player they might not be able to resign but so could Vancouver. Extension in place it could happen. 

I don’t see hogs as a 40 goal player 

I see him as a 25 goal player LT

yes I am assuming an extension 

• Wiener 1

1 minute ago, Bardown said:

I don’t see hogs as a 40 goal player 

I see him as a 25 goal player LT

yes I am assuming an extension 

I dunno about 40, but I certainly see 30+.  He's scoring ALL his goals 5v5.  If he continues at this pace, he'd finish with 25 to 26 goals.  Put him on the PP (not sure why he isn't there yet), and he could pot another 5 to 10 there.  That puts him in the 30 to 35 goal range IMO.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

Hard no, for me. We've been developing Hogs for years now, and he's showing he can be a regular NHL player at both ends of the rink. He plays the right way. Plus, we could lock him in on a cheap deal for eight years and have him through his prime whereas signing JG means we have him locked in for his twilight years. I'd rather send Mikheyev, Podz, and a later pick for JG and have him and Hogs on the same team.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Demko will be 33 in 5 years assuming he re-sign and stay with the Canucks. There’s no guarantees silov will be the next Demko. Then we are into the likely declined miller and Hughes re-signing with the Canucks is not a slam dunk. Especially if the CRA wins against Tavares and the government goes after signing bonus for athletes. How many teams in the nhl have you seen in recent years have legitimate extended windows? There are a few but not many. Chicago with Kane and Toews Pittsburgh with Malkin and Crosby Tampa with their infinite stars.. I don’t think any of the Canucks star are anything close to those guys at their peak prime. By the time OEL cap is finally gone.. ep will be at the tail end of his prime. Hughes will prolly need a contract in the 14-15mil range in 4 years time if he decides to stay. There’s way too many uncertainty beyond the 3-5 years 

I think this is rather glass half empty v half full... 

Petey will be 30 when OEL Cap ends... but only 28, when its no more than $2M... hardly end of his life as a forward.. one could argue or even expect that he should be at the height of his career... after all this is the age Miller is at now.

Demko will be 33 when the cap ends, but 31 only when its reduced to $2M... 

Quinn Hughes may or may not sign, but there is nothing to suggest he won't. As for contract figures, nothing is for free, but the cap is increasing so that should help.

Hogs maybe a 27-29 year old 1st line winger and with a bit of Luck both Lekkerimaki and Willander will be well established players as well.

On top of that, so far the management team has done an excellent job in the professional scouting department, and found a lot of value for money...

Nothing suggests to me that is going to change anytime soon. 

So all in all I feel there are plenty of reason to look forward to the future in the media to longish term... 

I do agree there are lots of uncertainties into the future, but there always is... Any player can get injured, lose form, be moved etc etc, but at least we have some building blocks and a few more arriving... as I said its a bit like glass half empty v half full... 

I believe its half full and definitely feel that as well...

PS. Crosby is now 36 and still scoring for fun, while Malkin is 37 and on his last legs. Eller is 34 and also still a decent player, so I don't think we should expect our star players to all drop dead just after 30...

Edited by spook007
PS.

Dhaliwal says no chance this happens as other teams have much deeper prospect pools. 

Zucker - Canucks have poked around him. (I'D PASS)

Greenway - They've wanted him for a long time. but the price is way too high. 

Kessel - Decision is coming... ' IT IS NOT FITNESS RELATED IF THEY DON'T SIGN HIM ' 

Almost sounds like nothing is going to happen. 

6 minutes ago, Dom said:

Dhaliwal says no chance this happens as other teams have much deeper prospect pools. 

Kessel - Decision is coming... ' IT IS NOT FITNESS RELATED IF THEY DON'T SIGN HIM ' 

And that's ok too.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Dom said:

He also said Pettersson wasn't signing long term. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

When key canucks get injured, we cry bad luck. When key players on other teams get injured, we cry cap circumvention.  Losing your captain for the last 2 months of the season is not all its cracked up to be.

20 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Hard no, for me. We've been developing Hogs for years now, and he's showing he can be a regular NHL player at both ends of the rink. He plays the right way. Plus, we could lock him in on a cheap deal for eight years and have him through his prime whereas signing JG means we have him locked in for his twilight years. I'd rather send Mikheyev, Podz, and a later pick for JG and have him and Hogs on the same team.  

I agree with all your logic, my suggestion was assuming (and not explicitly) that the Canucks are going to take a hard run at Guentzel regardless. In that situation, if we assume they are just too enamoured with him .....would you make that deal...

Just now, Sell.the.team said:

When key canucks get injured, we cry bad luck. When key players on other teams get injured, we cry cap circumvention.  Losing your captain for the last 2 months of the season is not all its cracked up to be.

Don't got a problem with it when the timing isn't so perfect that they can just replace their captain with a 40 goal scoring winger, just to have their captain back for game 1 of the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Don't got a problem with it when the timing isn't so perfect that they can just replace their captain with a 40 goal scoring winger, just to have their captain back for game 1 of the playoffs. 

Exactly just so happens as Eichel comes back stone has a injury that’s reported to be “rest of the regular season” they look comfortable in a playoff spot, if Myers went to the ltir and was back for game 1 round 1 and we maxamized that cap space I’m sure bettman would find a penalty to slap us with just like the luongo BS 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Exactly just so happens as Eichel comes back stone has a injury that’s reported to be “rest of the regular season” they look comfortable in a playoff spot, if Myers went to the ltir and was back for game 1 round 1 and we maxamized that cap space I’m sure bettman would find a penalty to slap us with just like the luongo BS 

Still amazes me we never took Bettman to court over that crap while LA and New Jersey begged and pleaded with him to get out of their penalties for Richards and Kovalchuk. That penalty cost us keeping at least one of Toffoli or Tanev. 

Edited by Pears
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dom said:

It's a pipe dream to trade for Guentzel. Lol

At this point I have to agree, I feel the lotto line being reunited Joshua Lindholm garland as a second line and then making some trades to fill out a 3rd line with hoglander blueger or suter and a trade partner winger 

• Like 1