[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

Of course it's a possibility that we crap the bed in the first round but the possibility of picking 17th? We would have to finish no better than 8th in the league and then have the top 7 teams in the league all eliminated in the first round.

The odds of that happening are astronomical.

depends where they end up at the end of the reg season.  

1. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 17–24 up to 28)

per wikipedia

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Just like how the Canucks weren't supposed to be anywhere close to as good as they are this year, right?

Nobody's arguing the Canucks haven't been better than most expected, that doesn't change the fact that most cup winners are teams who've had to lose and garner playoff experience before breaking through. 

This team has still shown signs of growing pains this season despite having success, I don't think expecting a first or second round exit is unrealistic. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

Guentzel could very well be a part of a multi year window, though.   You’d think if they’re paying, the idea would be to sign him.

Absolutely, he very well could be. 

Don't think the Pens want to rebuild or retool just yet, they just got Karlsson on board and are just outside a playoff spot? Only way they make this deal is if it's a lateral trade which I doubt we'll see.

Maybe Kuzmenko + Hoglander + 1st or prospect for Guenztel? I certainly wouldn't do that.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

depends where they end up at the end of the reg season.  

1. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 17–24 up to 28)

per wikipedia

Yes, we would have to finish 16th in the league and then be bounced in the first round in order to pick 17th. Or finish 15th and have 16th win their series. Or finish 14th and have BOTH 15th and 16th win their series... etc.

Once again odds are ridiculous that happens

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Don't think the Pens want to rebuild or retool just yet, they just got Karlsson on board and are just outside a playoff spot? Only way they make this deal is if it's a lateral trade which I doubt we'll see.

Maybe Kuzmenko + Hoglander + 1st or prospect for Guenztel? I certainly wouldn't do that.

talk about selling low on a 39 goal scorer

• Like 1

Just now, Coryberg said:

Yes, we would have to finish 16th in the league and then be bounced in the first round in order to pick 17th. Or finish 15th and have 16th win their series. Or finish 14th and have BOTH 15th and 16th win their series... etc.

Once again odds are ridiculous that happens

depends on how other teams do. I see Van in a wc spot bythe end of the season, or maybe 3rd divisional spot.  There will be at least one upset in the 1st round, maybe more.  To me, the risk and cost isn't worth the reward

Thinking bigger picture, would people be into Garland + 1st for Guentzel? 

I think Garland is doing more this season but the 3 years of cap flexibility could be critical.  We can probably flip Kuzmenko this offseason (or the deadline) fairly easily too. Let’s say for a 2nd and an expiring contract.

out:  1st, Kuz, Garland (10.5 mil cap)

in:  Guentzel, 2nd

Re-up Guentzel at 7.5 and free up 3 mil in cap space.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I think Garland is doing more this season but the 3 years of cap flexibility could be critical.  We can probably flip Kuzmenko this offseason (or the deadline) fairly easily too. Let’s say for a 2nd and an expiring contract.

Garland is also a non starter for me.  

• ThereItIs 1

Not only do you have to factor in the trade pieces but also the estimated cap hit if Guentzel is re-signed.  He will be 30yr and this will probably be his last contract.  So he’d want $$ and term.

Guentzel is about a ppg player that is capable of 20-40g.  Think $7.5-8M x 5-6yrs.  But I doubt he would sign for that.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, The Duke said:

This trade would put pittsburgh 4.25 million over the salary cap.

• ThereItIs 2

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

tbh if they’re trying to win this year, I’d rather have Kuz and Garland than Guentzel

same, at least there's contract and cost certainty there

7 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

This trade would put pittsburgh 4.25 million over the salary cap.

No, separate trades and I said Kuz for an expiring contract.

Edited by The Duke

Are there any untouchables on the Canucks? My guess:

F - Pettersson, Miller, Lekkerimaki

D - Hughes, Willander, Brzustewicz, D-Petey

G - Demko, Silovs

IMO, possible trades - Kuzmenko, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Raty

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

G - Demko, Silovs

I'd put Raty on the untouchable list.  They have no C depth in their system

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

G - Demko, Silovs

Only the core members and top prospect should be a team's untouchable. 

9 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

G - Demko, Silovs

I don’t think anyone outside of Petey, Hughes and Demko are untouchable - and likely Miller too.

Willander, Lekkerimaki, Raty, Pods (and Hogs) are going to need to jump into the NHL as guys like Joshua, Lafferty Suter and maybe even Blueger price themselves out of our system.  So I wouldn’t move them in rental / short term trades.

But I’d include any besides Willander in a trade for the right RFA-aged stud. 

Brzustewicz is actually a prime “sell high” candidate. I wouldn’t throw him away or anything but I’d dangle him in a high profile deal.  D-Petey is still a long shot to make the NHL so for the right price I’d move him.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Only the core members and top prospect should be a team's untouchable. 

I agree!

Brzu was selected late in last year's draft. He should've gone in the 1st round. Canucks got lucky. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Gotta give to get and I'd much rather move Brzustewicz and a 1st than Höglander. 

I'd rather give Podz or Bains a chance.

We don't have a 2nd rounder. Even a late 1st is important to keep.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

it would have to be pretty darn team friendly for me to think it was a god idea.  Next year, when we have a better idea of how Lek is going to transition, maybe.  Right now, they just don't have any scoring wingers intheir system that are going to be able to make up for losing Kuz and hogz if JG doesn't work out or he doesn't re-sign

it would have to be good. 

I'd flip him for Kuzy straight up even if JG did walk as a UFA, given how well JG has shown he steps it up in the playoffs. But I doubt Dubas would go for that, unless things get really sour between him and JG.

I don't think Pits is necessarily looking for any young assets either, given the age of their stars and the current window, if it is really still open for Sid. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 2