[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

it would have to be good. 

I'd flip him for Kuzy straight up even if JG did walk as a UFA, given how well JG has shown he steps it up in the playoffs. But I doubt Dubas would go for that, unless things get really sour between him and JG.

I don't think Pits is necessarily looking for any young assets either, given the age of their stars and the current window, if it is really still open for Sid. 

I'd do that as well.  What I wouldn't do is trade the future for him, even if he did resign.  They need good young players on good contracts to keep their window open, imo, and they're not in the spot to deplete that depth for a true run at the Cup

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd do that as well.  What I wouldn't do is trade the future for him, even if he did resign.  They need good young players on good contracts to keep their window open, imo, and they're not in the spot to deplete that depth for a true run at the Cup

what's easier to climb through, a window that's open all the way for a short period, or a window that's only open halfway for a longer period?

this core's chances are only likely to get worse going forward, not better imo. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, tas said:

what's easier to climb through, a window that's open all the way for a short period, or a window that's only open halfway for a longer period?

Yeah, the slow and steady route looks unlikely to work with the current group.  

Doesn’t necessarily mean we need to make a move for Guentzel, but management is unlikely to just sit on their hands and see what this group can do in the playoffs.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, tas said:

I agree, at least for the short term. I've been saying I'd rather not see us be another Edmonton or Toronto where our ceiling with an elite core is the second round. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

they do, but likely our 1st this year (barring a minor miracle) won't be on the team for 5 years. So for the right deal I wouldn't be opposed to moving it, e.g., for someone 23-24 either a bigger top 6 or RHD.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive and I also know that very few teams get it done in a short window.  It's usually a long process over the course of multiple seasons, of pushing and failing before they get there.  The teams that figure out that you have to have a longer term plan are the ones who get there, imo.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

they do, but likely our 1st this year (barring a minor miracle) won't be on the team for 5 years. So for the right deal I wouldn't be opposed to moving it, e.g., for someone 23-24 either a bigger top 6 or RHD.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving the first for a younger, cost controlled player coming into his prime years.  That's a smart move and one that teams who see the bigger picture make.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive and I also know that very few teams get it done in a short window.  It's usually a long process over the course of multiple seasons, of pushing and failing before they get there.  The teams that figure out that you have to have a longer term plan are the ones who get there, imo.

Agree.  I think this management knows that it's not good enough to only have 2-3 great years after a decade of misery.  They may have to shift a big salary or two to get there but they'll find ways.  Giving up first rounders and prospects is not a great plan for a short rental, so I can't see this happening unless there's a 3-5 year agreed upon plan with the player involved.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

sometimes, definitely, but others they get there meteorically, take a step back, and then continue to climb after. 

all I'm saying is this team can't afford to not throw everything they have at a cup this year. mortgage the future? no, but quality always has a cost. 

4 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Between Suter and Blueger, I am quite happy with our Centers at this time. The problem with our current lineup is no real longterm answer in the top 6; we are a player short! PDG, Hogs, etc are just plaeholders getting rotated through. IF you could get that Top6 guy (even on rental), it would push more talent down and create 4 very dynamic lines....think of a 4th line of Hogs/Mik-Suter-Lafferty for example.

That is true...but you rarely see 6 top end guys fill out a top 6. Considering we are first in the league in goals scored, I'd rather any big move to be one to improve the Defense long term. 

Guentzel has always been a guy I have admired for his complete and competitive game.   He would be a perfect addition. The cost would have to be right, however the off season could be interesting if they could find a way to add him under the cap.

24 minutes ago, tas said:

sometimes, definitely, but others they get there meteorically, take a step back, and then continue to climb after. 

all I'm saying is this team can't afford to not throw everything they have at a cup this year. mortgage the future? no, but quality always has a cost. 

I see it differently, imo they can't throw everything they've got at their first run through the playoffs.  They need to play the long game I think

1 minute ago, Screw said:

Guentzel has always been a guy I have admired for his complete and competitive game.   He would be a perfect addition. The cost would have to be right, however the off season could be interesting if they could find a way to add him under the cap.

Yes, I'm not against JG, just not at the cost of a hoglander, podkolzin or a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Kuzmenko is in a dog house and doesn't look to be getting out of it and pettersson is stuck with mikheyev a fast winger with little skill but hounds pucks he’s useful none the less and one of our 4th liners with little to no skill, petey needs someone to think the game at his level to get the best out of him, so a trade for a guy like Guentzel could potentially not only add a 40 goal guy to our lineup but possibly untap Peteys potential, my thoughts going forward is can we get Guentzel on an extension and possibly ship out boeser who in my opinion isint as good as Guentzel but will demand around the same dollar 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I see it differently, imo they can't throw everything they've got at their first run through the playoffs.  They need to play the long game I think

the bubble was the dry run. the core is the same. and they nearly upset their way to the conference finals. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yes, I'm not against JG, just not at the cost of a hoglander, podkolzin or a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Yeah, it would have to be a shocker like the Zadorov trade.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

the bubble was the dry run. the core is the same. and they nearly upset their way to the conference finals. 

So you truly believe that this is a team that will make it to the conference finals, at least?

I think if there's a chance to get a player like this we have to try but like said above a sign and trade.

Only problem we need to get rid of Garland or Brock plus another contract.

Might just cost much.

8 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Kuzmenko is in a dog house and doesn't look to be getting out of it and pettersson is stuck with mikheyev a fast winger with little skill but hounds pucks he’s useful none the less and one of our 4th liners with little to no skill, petey needs someone to think the game at his level to get the best out of him, so a trade for a guy like Guentzel could potentially not only add a 40 goal guy to our lineup but possibly untap Peteys potential, my thoughts going forward is can we get Guentzel on an extension and possibly ship out boeser who in my opinion isint as good as Guentzel but will demand around the same dollar 

Now that's thinking our of the box.  My only issue is age when weighing JG against Boes.  

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

So you truly believe that this is a team that will make it to the conference finals, at least?

will? I'm not much of a predictor. capable? definitely, and at least as capable as any other group this team will put forth over the next handful of years. 

edit: you and I have been around here a hell of a long time. the only time I can remember making a prediction for how this team would finish was 2010-11 when i stated assuredly and repeatedly to anyone who would listen both prior to and throughout the season that that group was the one that was bringing us a cup. 

Edited by tas

10 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

No

2 minutes ago, tas said:

will? I'm not much of a predictor. capable? definitely, and at least as capable as any other group this team will put forth over the next handful of years. 

That's fair, I think they're at the beginning of their window

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Now that's thinking our of the box.  My only issue is age when weighing JG against Boes.  

thats thinking out of the cannabis Box Store

Just now, Tusk said:

thats thinking out of the cannabis Box Store

Why?  JG is far more productive and far better defensively than Boeser is.  Further to that Boeser is going to want a raise on his next deal.  Age is the only issue, imo