[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

Just now, stawns said:

Why?  JG is far more productive and far better defensively than Boeser is.  Further to that Boeser is going to want a raise on his next deal.  Age is the only issue, imo

I have no issue giving up a few players to get JG but not our "Staples". DO NOT TOUCH THE CORE. yes Brock might want more next contract but you cant really buy loyalty.

3 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I have no issue giving up a few players to get JG but not our "Staples". DO NOT TOUCH THE CORE. yes Brock might want more next contract but you cant really buy loyalty.

In what universe does loyalty apply or affect professional sports?

Edited by stawns

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

the only one we live in. they're humans, not trading cards, and emotions affect performance. 

• Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, tas said:

the only one we live in. they're humans, not trading cards, and emotions affect performance. 

Not to mention it sends a good message to future players that the team has some sense of loyalty to players.

I know rumours like these are supposed to invoke a fun discussion of "what if's," but I think the answer is pretty simple here.

We have a limited amount of cap space and what needs more improvement currently is the defence, not our top-6. 

If that's the case, why should the Canucks spend what little space they have left on an expensive forward when they haven't rounded out the defence yet. Unless people think Zadorov was the answer...? In which case... sorry to say, but you're out of your mind 😅

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

If your meaning there is no guaranteed loyalty in sports, definitely agree. It's a business. Is that what you meant?

I'd rather we trade for Tanev or some other RHD to give us some insulation for injuries on D. We already are the highest scoring team in the league, but 28th GA/GP. Guentzal is overkill and overpriced. He may be more valuable as a player but bringing a Tanev in would be more important. It also helps break up Hronek from Hughes:

Hughes   Tanev

Soucy     Hronek

Zadorov  Myers

Cole, Juulsen

We'd also better be able to rest our dmen for the playoffs. 

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

Reminds me of the Bergevin quote after Radulov signed with Dallas instead of Montreal after Montreal took a chance on him the year before.   ,"If you want loyalty, buy a dog" 

20 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Not to mention it sends a good message to future players that the team has some sense of loyalty to players.

I'm more worried about the current players who love brock like a brother. 

people may think these things don't matter, or that they shouldn't matter because they're millionaires and blah blah blah, but anyone who has worked in a group setting or been part of a team knows just how much the interpersonal relationships matter to the end result. 

7 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

I'd rather we trade for Tanev or some other RHD to give us some insulation for injuries on D. We already are the highest scoring team in the league, but 28th GA/GP. Guentzal is overkill and overpriced. He may be more valuable as a player but bringing a Tanev in would be more important. It also helps break up Hronek from Hughes:

Hughes   Tanev

Soucy     Hronek

Zadorov  Myers

Cole, Juulsen

I think you're reading the charts backwards.  We're 5th in GA/GP... not 28th 😆

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

thats thinking out of the cannabis Box Store

Jake Guentzel is a two time 40 goal scorer and a Stanley Cup champion. What exactly has Brock Boeser done in his career for you to warrant him superior to Guentzel? 

Maybe you are the one that needs to lay off the pipe. Boeser couldn’t even hold Guentzel’s jock strap. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stawns said:

So you truly believe that this is a team that will make it to the conference finals, at least?

If we add Jake Guentzel?  Definitely. Dude is a complete stud and a huge playoff performer. Guentzel has 58 points in 58 playoff games.Talk about  a big game performer. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Canucks' recent ascension needs to proceed with patience.

Trust in your scouting and have players within the system fill out the depth. You'll have young players on cap-efficient ELCs while also being significant contributors. Why give up assets now to try and rush towards a deep run when formidable prospects are in the pipeline 2-3 years away.

In 3 years, Petey and Hughes will still be under 30. They're not even at the apex of their careers yet. The Canucks have time to approach their rise to the top with patience.

37 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I know rumours like these are supposed to invoke a fun discussion of "what if's," but I think the answer is pretty simple here.

We have a limited amount of cap space and what needs more improvement currently is the defence, not our top-6. 

If that's the case, why should the Canucks spend what little space they have left on an expensive forward when they haven't rounded out the defence yet. Unless people think Zadorov was the answer...? In which case... sorry to say, but you're out of your mind 😅

27 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

Hughes   Tanev

Soucy     Hronek

Zadorov  Myers

Cole, Juulsen

We can do both, especially if shipping out an ill fitting Kuzmenko to get him.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We can do both, especially if shipping out an ill fitting Kuzmenko to get him.

You'd have to add on top of Kuzmenko + be confident that you have enough cap space to resign Guentzel in the summer. 

Don't know where that cap space is coming from when OEL buyout goes up and Petey needs to get paid. Not to mention the need for another legit top-4 D.

Unless you're suggesting he be a rental, which I would be very against.

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

You'd have to add on top of Kuzmenko + be confident that you have enough cap space to resign Guentzel in the summer. 

Don't know where that cap space is coming from when OEL buyout goes up and Petey needs to get paid. Not to mention the need for another legit top-4 D.

Unless you're suggesting he be a rental, which I would be very against.

As does Hronek and, to a lesser extent, Zadorov

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jake Guentzel is a two time 40 goal scorer and a Stanley Cup champion. What exactly has Brock Boeser done in his career for you to warrant him superior to Guentzel? 

Maybe you are the one that needs to lay off the pipe. Boeser couldn’t even hold Guentzel’s jock strap. 

Looking at the deep stats, Brock is actually the more efficient scorer of the 2. JG scores at a rate of 1 goal per 20:16 of ice-time whereas Brock scores the same in only 18:14 of ice-time. Jake is almost always playing 1st line / 1st PP minutes in a game where-as Brock is slightly below that...so...if BB got more ice-time he might just be as prolific a scorer as Jake (.47 GPG for Jake vs .37 GPG for BB averaged over the past 4 seasons).

And JG scored 40 for the second time at age 27...BB is just 26 and will certainly hit 40 this season. As for SC wins (it is a team that wins a SC)...Brock should have his first this year...jus' sayin'...

EDIT: Should have said he achieves his avg GPG in the stated amount of ice-time where-as BB achieves his in less ice-time...not sure if that cleared it up or muddied it more...apologies.

Edited by ABNuck

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we add Jake Guentzel?  Definitely. Dude is a complete stud and a huge playoff performer. Guentzel has 58 points in 58 playoff games.Talk about  a big game performer. 

I doubt anyone doubts JG's abilities, though I take them with a grain of salt considering who hes played with for most of his productive years.  Really, it's the price they'd have to pay and the risk of him walking at the end of the season.  Imo, they're not in the place to start doing that yet.  

Again, it's depend on what the deal was

4 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Do people want the Canucks to become a top-heavy heap of garbage like the Oilers and Leafs or something? Why in the world do we need Guentzel with the offensive personnel we already have.

I'm with you on that.  Id rather they just be patient, see if there's another zadorov type deal out there and make moves on the off season

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Do people want the Canucks to become a top-heavy heap of garbage like the Oilers and Leafs or something? Why in the world do we need Guentzel with the offensive personnel we already have.

We wouldn't be top heavy this year as we could ship out Kuzy and bring in Jake for almost the same cap hit...and it would be a MASSIVE upgrade in my opinion. If that was all there was to the deal (Kuzy + a 2nd) I'm all over this trade. BUT if we have to add 1st's and prospects...well...no. Because, you are correct in stating we would be top heavy next year. Again, as I stated earlier, the ONLY way we make this work next year adding JG at 8-8.5mil is if management already knows Petey is headed to free agency. Then we have the $$ to sign JG...plus trade Petey's rights after qualifying him for a young 2C (move JT to 1C). It works financially but there's a lot of ifs.