[PGT] Vancouver @ St. Louis

Chickenspear

Tocchet's Postgame tells me he is out of ideas.

Blaming the loss on missed opportunities is not an answer.

If the team is organized and playing well, it finds a way to get it done.

The fact Tocchet had Garland on the PP tells me he doesn't understand elite offensive players.

Garland is a decent playmaker, but he is not a goalscorer... he does not have the consistent shot.

Replacing Kuzmenko with him is not a solution.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Was a sloppy and scrambly game. Binnington was also playing really well. 

Hronek was having some issues working the puck in his own end. 

Hronek has been having issues since Soucy went down to injury. Forcing him and Hughes to play alot more minutes. Maybe when Soucy returns he'll get better. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Meanwhile Bo Horvat is a plus 8 with 35 points in 36 games.

He'd be a good 2nd line center.

Meh but would he really? If it didn't work the first time, it usually doesn't the second. Ill tell you that for free. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s pretty obvious we need another top 6 forward, especially if Kuzmenko is in the press box.  We aren’t winning anything with Lafferty in the top 6.  

I don’t believe that Höglander is a top 6 player.  He’s a tweener than doesn’t fit any line.  That’s why Tocchet keeps moving him around.  I would use him as a trade chip for a legit top 6 forward.  

Imagine if Jake Guentzel was playing with Petey?  This team would look completely different. Lafferty is totally fine on the 4th line playing with Suter.  It strengthens our 4th line.  Having those guys in the top 6 not only weakens our top 6 but it also weakens our 4th line.

Adding a guy like Guentzel puts other players in their proper place.  It would make us a 4 line team…

Can we sign him to a contract?

31 minutes ago, Blue said:

So basically Tocchet is playing general manager. If we are trading Kuzmenko, you can be sure he wont be replaced with a one way scoring forward. It will be a borderline top 6 tweener. A Tanner Pearson type. 

It better not be a Tanner Pearson type.  And yes Tocchet is playing GM.  He’s basically calling out Allvin and telling him he doesn’t want Kuzmenko around…

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Such a weird schedule: The Canucks need to remain focused. I believe by January 20th the Oilers will have four games in hand again. If the Oilers keep winning and the Canucks have a subpar road trip, the Oilers will make up some ground with a significant number of games in hand.

Oilers are currently 12 points back with three games in hand. Makes no sense. Hopefully the Oilers feel the grind of a more condensed schedule after the 20th (just like the Canucks did in late November / early Dec). 

To bad they lost tonight but expecting some big wins over the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Hronek has been having issues since Soucy went down to injury. Forcing him and Hughes to play alot more minutes. Maybe when Soucy returns he'll get better. 

Soucy’s return can’t happen soon enough. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Can we sign him to a contract?

For sure.  Probably 8x7 would do it.  If we trade Kuzmenko and then put Lekkerimäki in the lineup with a cheap ELC contract then there is room for a Guentzel who is a massive playoff performer.  We can win a cup with Guentzel playing with Petey.  We probably don’t even win one round if Lafferty is in the top 6…

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Realistically winnable. 

Tonight was a winnable game, but the top six has been missing in action recently. When was the last time Miller scored? Petey lately seems quiet and invisible out there on the ice. Kuzmenko's being benched, and Mik hasn't scored in a while either it feels like. I think management is going to make a trade for a top six forward to bolster the top six, because right now, they just don't have it. 

Maybe when the Canucks visit Pittsburgh they'll swap for Guentzel

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It better not be a Tanner Pearson type.  And yes Tocchet is playing GM.  He’s basically calling out Allvin and telling him he doesn’t want Kuzmenko around…

And what's worse, he is driving down Kuzmenko's value.

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s pretty obvious we need another top 6 forward, especially if Kuzmenko is in the press box.  We aren’t winning anything with Lafferty in the top 6.  

I don’t believe that Höglander is a top 6 player.  He’s a tweener than doesn’t fit any line.  That’s why Tocchet keeps moving him around.  I would use him as a trade chip for a legit top 6 forward.  

Imagine if Jake Guentzel was playing with Petey?  This team would look completely different. Lafferty is totally fine on the 4th line playing with Suter.  It strengthens our 4th line.  Having those guys in the top 6 not only weakens our top 6 but it also weakens our 4th line.

Adding a guy like Guentzel puts other players in their proper place.  It would make us a 4 line team…

Daring to dream, assume PA/JR pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat and Lindholm plus Guentzel are on the team. That means the Canucks have pushed all their chips into the middle of the table and are going for it. Also means $10.85M cap hit is on the books. 

Who is not on the team along with the 1st, 2nd (probably), and a smattering of low round picks plus at least a B-prospect if not 2? Kuz for sure and maybe Cole. Still leaves about $5M (give or take) to move off the roster - can't be spending to the cap with TDL still a ways away. 

Plus would need a player from Abby to step up on forward ... looking at you Podz.

Yes, good game, had our chances, bummed we couldn't get at least a point but the looks that were missed were both thrilling and making me want to launch the big screen through the window and out onto the 2nd tee box.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Keep imagining.  Dubas isn't going to trade someone like that unless he thinks it'll improve the team today.  Hard to really improve on Guentzel if you're the Penguins.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

With Lekkerimaki looking great and Willander/D-Petey looking good I could see our first rounder on the table for sure

If we trade our first, then we don’t have a pick till round three. Our prospect depth has improved but it could still use more help. I expect a ‘hockey trade’ for a bigger winger but want to keep our first rounder. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

With what cap? 😂

I thought it was pretty obvious we couldn’t keep both.

It would be do-able- if they weren't paying $5.5 mill for a guy to sit in the press box.