[PGT] Vancouver @ St. Louis

Chickenspear

9 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Yeah, I don't get why they have to be attached by the hip. 

Because they literally have 0 players with the talents available to play with ep when kuzmenko is in the pressbox.. literally every winger ep played with this season outside of kuzmenko.. their career high for a season both add up is not even close to EP season total from either of the last 2 seasons.. that just shows how lacking in talents we are in the top 6 and kuzmenko is as good as gone. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

How can Kuz be benched while Boeser still playing ? 

Boeser isn't trying anymore. He's skating in the sand, has stone hands, bad IQ, can't shoot, only chips the puck in the corner, never attacking the carrier, then cruise to the bench like he had a hard workind day. 

Miller needs some better wingers. If the 3rd line wasn't that great i would have put Garland with Miller and Hoglander.

Now we're stuck with Boeser as a top 6, how can Kuz could not be a Tocchet player's but Boeser one's ? 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

If the Canucks beat NYR I will not say a negative thing against the team or the Coach for the rest of the regular season

If they lose you have to post the Canucks need to fire Tocchet 

Sylvester Stallone Boxing GIF

Game on! 

We've got Garland.   And Demko.   Never out of the game lol.   

We win, want to really see some genuine homerism! 

1 hour ago, DexM94 said:

How can Kuz be benched while Boeser still playing ? 

Boeser isn't trying anymore. He's skating in the sand, has stone hands, bad IQ, can't shoot, only chips the puck in the corner, never attacking the carrier, then cruise to the bench like he had a hard workind day. 

Miller needs some better wingers. If the 3rd line wasn't that great i would have put Garland with Miller and Hoglander.

Now we're stuck with Boeser as a top 6, how can Kuz could not be a Tocchet player's but Boeser one's ? 

We truly are a fickle bunch.   Bad game, aside from Demko.   Missed our chances.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

One thing I've noticed in the NHL and really all competitive sports is that they rarely make a lot of changes to what already works. Regarding doing new stuff sure it's easy as a fan to say hey I would have split Miller and Boeser but you could also just as easily cause a useless lack of cohesion, and disrupt the chemistry already built upon. Maybe that sends a bad message. It's not like this team is on an 8 game slide or anything. Also I don't know if shuffling Boeser around is a great idea either.

Tocchet is already doing a lot with what he has. He brought Boeser to a level no one here thought was possible in such a short time. He also has Garland contributing in a significant way. Other than that he doesn't have a hell of a lot to work with as far as moving around parts, which is why we're seeing PDG. Suter, and Lafferty popping up higher in the lineup.

I would say splitting Boeser/Miller, and Hughes/Hronek are cards Tocchet still has yet to play. We're still not midway in the season and so far we haven't needed to start making all in moves. Nor should we now. There is a lot of season left.

Yep.   Agreed.   There is a point the blender is  needed.   It's awfully rare a line is hot all season.    That's what this team would need though, if we want to see more then a couple home games this postseason, both lines going, throughout, is actually enough to win a cup.     EPs line wasn't really going at the start, despite him piling up the points.   

Hope they can shake off the Christmas break, and go on another heater.     Even with one of our lines red hot, it's enough to win a series ... Millers line was amazing to start the year.  

Edit:  Green broke up the Lotto line which was trash his final season ...  And did a blender and that's with Horvat in the group.   This is the first time, we are actually missing that element.    Hate to pile on Tochett, but he truly does need to work things out with Kuzmenko, and if he can't, move on and let Allvin pull the trigger on something else.   At this point another Tanner Pearson would do wonders, as in a middle six player that can provide a boost to any line, and give us a couple extra million in cap space heading down the stretch. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Because they literally have 0 players with the talents available to play with ep when kuzmenko is in the pressbox.. literally every winger ep played with this season outside of kuzmenko.. their career high for a season both add up is not even close to EP season total from either of the last 2 seasons.. that just shows how lacking in talents we are in the top 6 and kuzmenko is as good as gone. 

When asked his agent says everything is ok, and that he's going to stay.   So not so sure.   

I do think that this has become a distraction of sorts, listened to the game last night, Brendan Batch was certainly spending a considerable amount of time,  focusing on Kuzmenko between the second and third period...the media isn't going to let this go.   Personally I trust Tochett knows what he's doing, and Kuzemenko has become a lightning rod when we don't score, and especially when it comes with EP.   They went on and on about EP not having the skill he needs to succeed, and on and on, even said  this is going to make him want to leave the team if Allvin and Tochett couldn't make it work with Kuzmenko (or bringing in a long term wingman).   

Talked about pairs and how Miller has Boeser (who before this season was also one of their whipping boys, ironic there), and how EP needs a skilled guy.    And how Lafferty is just another Ilya Mikheyev type, as in a north south player blah blah blah ... 

5.5 is enough cap space to provide EP with something decent.     Pretty sure if we went back and looked at that signing, we wouldn't find many (any?) posters complaining.   Last season,  Kuzmenko for sure looked like he could become EPs wingman.    Losing hope that's going to happen.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Kurtis said:

Toch isn’t as a good a coach as it looks imo.  We have a good team and I would argue with the changes in the off season and growth of many players we previously had, most coaches would have roughly the same record. 

??

Top in our division, close to the top in the league, but the coach sucks and lets get a new one??? 

As for what other coaches would have, lets not screw this up, by starting a search for a maybe better coach. 

I honestly think our best start to a season in a decade has gone to the head of folks... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

So something I noticed and seems to support Drance's point. He claims that (paraphrasing) the team doesn't generate enough scoring/shot attempts at 5-on-5 and are relying on a high shooting percentage to win games. 

And just by looking at the games they lost mostly only scored 0 or 1 goals. Since the loss to the Devils the game they scored the most goals at a loss is Dallas with 2. He could be right.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

When asked his agent says everything is ok, and that he's going to stay.   So not so sure.   

I do think that this has become a distraction of sorts, listened to the game last night, Brendan Batch was certainly spending a considerable amount of time,  focusing on Kuzmenko between the second and third period...the media isn't going to let this go.   Personally I trust Tochett knows what he's doing, and Kuzemenko has become a lightning rod when we don't score, and especially when it comes with EP.   They went on and on about EP not having the skill he needs to succeed, and on and on, even said  this is going to make him want to leave the team if Allvin and Tochett couldn't make it work with Kuzmenko (or bringing in a long term wingman).   

Talked about pairs and how Miller has Boeser (who before this season was also one of their whipping boys, ironic there), and how EP needs a skilled guy.    And how Lafferty is just another Ilya Mikheyev type, as in a north south player blah blah blah ... 

5.5 is enough cap space to provide EP with something decent.     Pretty sure if we went back and looked at that signing, we wouldn't find many (any?) posters complaining.   Last season,  Kuzmenko for sure looked like he could become EPs wingman.    Losing hope that's going to happen.    

the problem i see with kuzmenko is he's just playing scared on offense.. RT basically have kuzmenko leash by his neck everytime he tries something in the offensive zone he'll yank it.. kuzmenko was never going to be the defensive player RT is trying to force him to be.. and at the same time he can't be the offensive player he can be because he's not really given the freedom by the coaching staff to do so.. if he tries something and it doesn't work or worse goes back the other way and end up in the net.. he knows he's getting benched or parked in the pressbox. between kuzmenko mikheyev and garland.. that's a crazy amount of money invested in players that are not capable of producing at a top 6 level.. garland i'll stand by he's overpaid for what he brings if he's not putting in 50 points at least a season and his first 2 season his stats are padded against bad teams that were out of the playoffs.. mikheyev i didn't like the signing one bit at the price tag.. not sure how a career high 32 points nets u 4.75mil.. the guy is also injury prone.. i would have preferred a lower cap hit at like 4 or even a shorter 2 year deal.. let's face it.. i don't think there's a bidding war for the guy at 4.75mil for a 32 point winger coming off an injury

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

??

Top in our division, close to the top in the league, but the coach sucks and lets get a new one??? 

As for what other coaches would have, lets not screw this up, by starting a search for a maybe better coach. 

I honestly think our best start to a season in a decade has gone to the head of folks... 

Tochett did his best to prepare the media and fans for some rough patches, and kept saying "we haven't won or earned anything yet" ... 

Guys about as perfect a coach as we could hope for with this group.    PIT players highly respected him, and enjoyed the teaching he provided, and the players on our team also are saying the same things.   Don't re-call a more active coach in practice.   Gonchar and Foote.    Won't hear or see me complaining about the coaching.   Also don't re-call a season, where we lose a game and come back and win every game either.   Not sure why they've had a tough time rattling off more wins, but they will come.  

They could have won last night.   Missed their chances.    That's got to be Millers favourite media pal's, wet dream!   PDO and all that.  

Tochett isn't just coaching the team, he's taking the marco view.    It took some time with AV as well.   But once they bought in completely, we became a force.   And for sure that team relied on goaltending too.   It's part of the puzzle.    Tochett's goal was to reduce shots, and especially high danger shots, at least one of them.     Run and Gun was fun when Bruce first arrived.   That's not how we will win a cup, even with Horvat, it wasn't enough.    And thank god for that.    When players are flat, they can rely on systems.   And still win games. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So something I noticed and seems to support Drance's point. He claims that (paraphrasing) the team doesn't generate enough scoring/shot attempts at 5-on-5 and are relying on a high shooting percentage to win games. 

And just by looking at the games they lost mostly only scored 0 or 1 goals. Since the loss to the Devils the game they scored the most goals at a loss is Dallas with 2. He could be right.

I thought, we had a lot of half open nets and very good scoring opportunities, but missed the target in a (not normal) show of poor finishing bu our normally good shooters... 

Some teams generate lots of shots on target and lives of goalie mistakes or garbage goals... others more finesse goals and great finishing (high shooting %)...

He is right, we have high shooting %, but as long as it works, its nothing to be worrying about. 

We are top in our division because of the way we play, not because of how we could play... if we can't sustain this, then by all means be concerned, but for now its a bit early to change the way we play. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I thought, we had a lot of half open nets and very good scoring opportunities, but missed the target in a (not normal) show of poor finishing bu our normally good shooters... 

Some teams generate lots of shots on target and lives of goalie mistakes or garbage goals... others more finesse goals and great finishing (high shooting %)...

He is right, we have high shooting %, but as long as it works, its nothing to be worrying about. 

We are top in our division because of the way we play, not because of how we could play... if we can't sustain this, then by all means be concerned, but for now its a bit early to change the way we play. 

Agreed, they played a pretty classic road game last night, but could t capitalize when they needed to.  Like I said, they needed to get that game to ot and secure a point.

It's going to be a 4 horse race for three divisional spots........they need to get points when they lose

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Bingo.    Folks who never watched Gretzky or say Micheal Jordan play, look at the stats and think it must be a mistake,  luck must have been involved, the goalies must have been trash - I mean how many times was his shooting percentage 25% or higher?   It's not a one off, or a fluke if it's consistent.   I love the fact we are at the top of the division, I also love (so far knock on wood and if this does go sideways on this road trip, not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater yet either), how we lose a game and then follow it up with a W, doesn't seem to matter who it is next either, even if some of them are ugly and not roasts.     This road trip, .500 isn't the end of the world.    Sure i'd love to see us come home .600 or better.     Get that us as fans have a million reasons not to trust the team and the management and the coaches.    Canuck Luck is the inverse (it's a bad thing lol). 

A lot of heartbreak, and an abusive relationship even (as fans).   You can't pick your family though.   Right now we have a pretty good roster.   It's not exceptional, but for sure has potential.    Personally going to enjoy the playoffs immensely.    Might even buy some tickets and fly out.   This can be our time.  Why not? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Hey, I am going to pretend I am Tocchet.

So my team just scored 5 goals in the first period and coasted to win. I can't have that, there is no coaching kudos for me!

That damned Kuzmenko played twice as good as Boeser again, it was so obvious I have to get him off the ice.

I can't have Pettersson too comfortable. When he is playing with Kuz he gets too many chances, best to mix up his line again.

I will just say that isn't good enough for a playoff team, they aren't that but the marketing media eat that crap up, they have to stick to the staples, great little phrase I conjured up, "staples" they don't get it, stitches, they keep me in stitches (:D)

Messier and Keenan, well I got mine, Miller and Tocchet! 

We won the last game so let's throw the names in a hat and pull out some new players but keep Kuz's name out. Odd that the team wins' more with him in the lineup? Better make sure the marketing media doesn't say anything about that.

Boeser almost got close to a St Louis player on purpose twice. Still floating/coasting around between face off dots.

Hughes got caught on both StL goals.

Great bench discipline, how many 2 minute shifts? Wasn't he benching players for this kind of stuff? Not sticking to the "staples"? The right way?

How much is really Tocchet and how much just an improved and healthy line up? 

Edited by TheGuardian

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tochett did his best to prepare the media and fans for some rough patches, and kept saying "we haven't won or earned anything yet" ... 

Guys about as perfect a coach as we could hope for with this group.    PIT players highly respected him, and enjoyed the teaching he provided, and the players on our team also are saying the same things.   Don't re-call a more active coach in practice.   Gonchar and Foote.    Won't hear or see me complaining about the coaching.   Also don't re-call a season, where we lose a game and come back and win every game either.   Not sure why they've had a tough time rattling off more wins, but they will come.  

They could have won last night.   Missed their chances.    That's got to be Millers favourite media pal's, wet dream!   PDO and all that.  

Tochett isn't just coaching the team, he's taking the marco view.    It took some time with AV as well.   But once they bought in completely, we became a force.   And for sure that team relied on goaltending too.   It's part of the puzzle.    Tochett's goal was to reduce shots, and especially high danger shots, at least one of them.     Run and Gun was fun when Bruce first arrived.   That's not how we will win a cup, even with Horvat, it wasn't enough.    And thank god for that.    When players are flat, they can rely on systems.   And still win games. 

Spot on amigo. 
We have had a strong start, now playing some .500 hockey or worse is not going to ruin that. 
The team is in a far better place, than it has been the last decade. The systems implemented have helped the team immensely. 
Things take time, and the change of forwards with Petey and Miller reminds me of AVs fun with finding wingers for the twins and Kesler... Lots of combinations tried...
Hopefully we find a solution to the Kuz issue, so Petey can get a winger he deserve one way or another. 

49 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I wonder how the process goes when discussing new contracts? Does PA say to Petey 'if I give you that then I can only give Hronek this and I don't think he will sign for that'. I have always liked your idea of a % of the CAP based on the team hierarchy. 

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Spot on amigo. 
We have had a strong start, now playing some .500 hockey or worse is not going to ruin that. 
The team is in a far better place, than it has been the last decade. The systems implemented have helped the team immensely. 
Things take time, and the change of forwards with Petey and Miller reminds me of AVs fun with finding wingers for the twins and Kesler... Lots of combinations tried...
Hopefully we find a solution to the Kuz issue, so Petey can get a winger he deserve one way or another. 

While I agree, playing .500 hockey is going to land them in a WC spot........which we all would have been thrilled with 3 months ago

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed, they played a pretty classic road game last night, but could t capitalize when they needed to.  Like I said, they needed to get that game to ot and secure a point.

It's going to be a 4 horse race for three divisional spots........they need to get points when they lose

Yes a point would have been welcomed, but sometimes its just not in the script...

They could just as easily have gotten at least a point in that game...

I think, we have to be careful to over analyse these last few wins or loses, as the main thing is that in just about everyone of those, we were in them (apart from the Flyers game). 

There will be enbs and flows, but no reason for alarm bells in my humble opinion. 

You nailed it yourself a few months back, when you suggested it was probably a wild card team. We are better than that atm, but it may turn. 
Regardless of this road trip, we are in a far better place, than we've been the last 10 year. And things take time. Lers not forget, this team is still learning to win constantly and to carry the expectations of both winning, and winning in style. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I wonder how the process goes when discussing new contracts? Does PA say to Petey 'if I give you that then I can only give Hronek this and I don't think he will sign for that'. I have always liked your idea of a % of the CAP based on the team hierarchy. 

I'm sure they talk about cap restrictions, but I doubt they players off against each other.  

• Vintage 2