[PGT] Vancouver @ St. Louis

Chickenspear

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i think tocchet have done well in holding them accountable for the most part.. but in terms of actual head coaching job.. i've really yet to see him make any adjustment in games yet

Coaching isn't just x's and o's, blowing whistles, and line changes. Was Tom Brady even considered a legit starter before Belinchuk "coached" him. List goes on and on where athletes went from average to superstardom with proper coaching, confidence, teachings, listening, caring. Its motivation and showing them the game is fun again, not always adjustments in games. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Vancan said:

We were horrible with every aspect of the game, defensive just one of many. This is one of the biggest turn around from neg to pos in all aspects in recent memory. Can you honestly say that is because of 2 assistant coaches with zero head coach experience is the reasoning? 

Well they are 2 of the greatest dmen to play the game so you would think some of that experience and knowledge rubs off on the players. Myers is playing better. The emergence of Juulsen. The safe and steady play of the bottom 6. Yes the acquisitions by Alvin play a roll too.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Well they are 2 of the greatest dmen to play the game so you would think some of that experience and knowledge rubs off on the players. Myers is playing better. The emergence of Juulsen. The safe and steady play of the bottom 6. Yes the acquisitions by Alvin play a roll too.

Sorry you lot me with 2 of the greatest dmen to play the game. 

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

oh i already know tocchet doesn't like kuzmenko since day 1 despite he was still producing under him.. if tocchet was the GM boeser kuzmenko would have been sent packing already and he fill the lineup full of garland and grind their way to victory every night. the biggest thing i don't like about tocchet coaching style is his lack of creativity and imagination.. the hughes/hronek pairing haven't looked great defensively for quite some times now yet he refuse to split them up and try something new.. the Miller/boeser line haven't been all that great in games lately.. like i dunno split them up maybe and try something else.. but let's just leave them intact even though they have done nothing and keep marching them back out to do nothing.. literally the whole season the only line juggling he have done is with EP.. he haven't touched the boeser miller or the hronek hughes combo once.. ok maybe he did once when he benched miller.. play EP with the hughes pairing more if we ain't going to give him any wingers to play with.. play a more defensive pairing with Miller.. they are our top "shutdown" line.. Hughes and Hronek are not your "shutdown" defenceman.. they easily get exposed against the good teams 

One thing I've noticed in the NHL and really all competitive sports is that they rarely make a lot of changes to what already works. Regarding doing new stuff sure it's easy as a fan to say hey I would have split Miller and Boeser but you could also just as easily cause a useless lack of cohesion, and disrupt the chemistry already built upon. Maybe that sends a bad message. It's not like this team is on an 8 game slide or anything. Also I don't know if shuffling Boeser around is a great idea either.

Tocchet is already doing a lot with what he has. He brought Boeser to a level no one here thought was possible in such a short time. He also has Garland contributing in a significant way. Other than that he doesn't have a hell of a lot to work with as far as moving around parts, which is why we're seeing PDG. Suter, and Lafferty popping up higher in the lineup.

I would say splitting Boeser/Miller, and Hughes/Hronek are cards Tocchet still has yet to play. We're still not midway in the season and so far we haven't needed to start making all in moves. Nor should we now. There is a lot of season left.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One thing I've noticed in the NHL and really all competitive sports is that they rarely make a lot of changes to what already works. Regarding doing new stuff sure it's easy as a fan to say hey I would have split Miller and Boeser but you could also just as easily cause a useless lack of cohesion, and disrupt the chemistry already built upon. Maybe that sends a bad message. It's not like this team is on an 8 game slide or anything. Also I don't know if shuffling Boeser around is a great idea either.

Tocchet is already doing a lot with what he has. He brought Boeser to a level no one here thought was possible in such a short time. He also has Garland contributing in a significant way. Other than that he doesn't have a hell of a lot to work with as far as moving around parts, which is why we're seeing PDG. Suter, and Lafferty popping up higher in the lineup.

I would say splitting Boeser/Miller, and Hughes/Hronek are cards Tocchet still has yet to play. We're still not midway in the season and so far we haven't needed to start making all in moves. Nor should we now. There is a lot of season left.

Garland/Blueger/Joshua. Are you serious? A gut that requested a trade in pre season, a guy that was scratched throughout a Stanly cup winning run, and a guy who showed up to training camp over weight and out of shape. 3 of the most unlikely players to connect and produce. Ya crappy coaching

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

It's alarming; We lost the first game of a road trip after being home with family, friends and playing in our own rink.

intense-oh-my-god-reaction-jake-gyllenha

On top of it by one whole goal.

Tough to win games when all of your grade A chances don't even count as a shot on net.

Petey also put on a masterclass performance on how to have your possessions turn into the other teams' possessions. Had the reverse Midas touch tonight.

Our top 6 needs a desperate shake up. Petey and Mikheyev isn't working out. 

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Coaching isn't just x's and o's, blowing whistles, and line changes. Was Tom Brady even considered a legit starter before Belinchuk "coached" him. List goes on and on where athletes went from average to superstardom with proper coaching, confidence, teachings, listening, caring. Its motivation and showing them the game is fun again, not always adjustments in games. 

Also, what if they don't all of the sudden score 8 goals with the new scrambled lineup and we still lose? Then what, just keep randomizing the line-up until you get better than a .689 winning %?

That doesn't show a lot of confidence in your team.

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

i dunno the boeser/miller hughes/hronek split should have been done to kick start the team in games where its clearly not working.. the only thing he has done is throw my grinders on EP's wing and expect him to turn them into a top 6 or something.. i mean even if he doesn't split them.. prioritizing Hughes/Hronek 5v5 with the scoring line EP would make too much sense if Miller is suppose to be your tough matchup assignment?? Hughes and Hronek have been OK defensively this season not great not bad.. Hughes is actually contributing in a negative way 5v5.. the team is expected to score more with him off the ice than he is on the ice 5v5 during the almost last month and a half or so. Hughes will score regardless.. so wouldn't it make sense for him to not be up against other teams top players example not go up against the mackinnon and the makars who will light you up if u make a mistake or a bad pinch

43 minutes ago, Vancan said:

sure it's not just x and os.. but a lot of time the players can make the coach look better than he really is.. mcdavid is making the new coach look really good but in reality they are doing exactly the same as before and mcdavid is just scoring again. the player personnel on defence is lightyears ahead of where it was last year where bear might be considered the 2nd best defenceman on the team at times. for all we know... boeser turn around could have absolutely nothing to do with RT and maybe he finally got over dealing with family matters who knows. structure wise for sure we look better.. but defensively we still give up one of the most high danger chances in the league. edmonton by comparision gives up the 2nd fewest.. problem with them is everything ends up in the net vs our goalie bails those chances out most of the time. his lack of in game adjustment in games still worries me when his top players are not going.. instead of making changes to try and get them going.. he just well sit them and play them less and toss out the grinders on the 3rd and 4th line for more shifts.

21 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Garland/Blueger/Joshua. Are you serious? A gut that requested a trade in pre season, a guy that was scratched throughout a Stanly cup winning run, and a guy who showed up to training camp over weight and out of shape. 3 of the most unlikely players to connect and produce. Ya crappy coaching

Ummm, was this meant for me? I didn't say anything about that line except Garland was playing significantly well.

Hmmm, oh maybe you meant that line was playing well. I agree, why would you change that, along with what's got you to a 24-11-3 record?

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno the boeser/miller hughes/hronek split should have been done to kick start the team in games where its clearly not working.. the only thing he has done is throw my grinders on EP's wing and expect him to turn them into a top 6 or something.. i mean even if he doesn't split them.. prioritizing Hughes/Hronek 5v5 with the scoring line EP would make too much sense if Miller is suppose to be your tough matchup assignment?? Hughes and Hronek have been OK defensively this season not great not bad.. Hughes is actually contributing in a negative way 5v5.. the team is expected to score more with him off the ice than he is on the ice 5v5 during the almost last month and a half or so. Hughes will score regardless.. so wouldn't it make sense for him to not be up against other teams top players example not go up against the mackinnon and the makars who will light you up if u make a mistake or a bad pinch

Yes, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. Just pointing out an observation. Pro coaches are reluctant to mess with what has/is proven to work, and it makes sense to some degree. So does your view though.

Totally different situation but I'm reminded of a couple NFL players. Deshaun Watson took 2 years off football (cause he's a total scumbag) and thought he'd come back just as good as ever, so did the Browns. He sucked this year before getting injured after signing a 5 yr 230 mil deal. Similarly Odell Beckham Junior was the toast of the league until his head got too big and combined with injuries he's now barely a 3rd string receiver. Point is in pro sports it's hard to be at the top, you don't get to many opportunities to mess with it and stay there.

We may see changes anytime. It's not like he's been riding a losing line-up for weeks on end now though and refusing to change it. We were 7-2-1 in the last 10 coming off a 6-3 win.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Panarin doesn’t even know where the defensive zone is and some people in the media are saying he is a Hart trophy nominee.  Kaprizov couldn’t back check to save his life…

Well, he doesn't have Tocchet as his coach, sooooo...

Kaprizov is also younger and has produced more. He had a 108 point season in his second season, where he scored 47 goals at the age of 23/24 years old. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, he doesn't have Tocchet as his coach, sooooo...

Kaprizov is also younger and has produced more. He had a 108 point season in his second season, where he scored 47 goals at the age of 23/24 years old. 

And he’s never closed to those numbers again ever since

12 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Petie is a great player but sucks at faceoffs. 

he always sucked at faceoff. He doesn’t have the size/weight/power as leverage to be effective at it imo. I predicted the Canucks will struggle hard in faceoff when they got rid of Horvat that’s 1800 faceoff a season they need to cover. They don’t have the luxury of putting 2 center on the line and let ep not take the draw