[PGT] Vancouver @ St. Louis

Chickenspear

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

You do if you want him to rebuild his game to play a more complete game. 

They're trying to build a championship team. That means no holes in the top 6 and a defensively solid team. 

I would rather they sit him now to teach when playoffs are pretty much secured than sit him during the playoffs because he's a defensive liability. 

My hope is that we see him in every single playoff game. 

I love that management isn't chasing reg season stats. It's about playing the right way and building this team for the playoffs. 

Isn't it strange to you that only two players are held "accountable"?  And you don't teach somebody something by not giving them the opportunity to apply it in a practical situation and give them.the time and flexibility to work it out.  He is very clearly playing scared toske a mistake.

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

They're trying to build a championship team. That means no holes in the top 6 and a defensively solid team. 

I would rather they sit him now to teach when playoffs are pretty much secured than sit him during the playoffs because he's a defensive liability. 

I love that management isn't chasing reg season stats. It's about playing the right way and building this team for the playoffs. 

Tochett has made his point with Kuz, but enough. Time to play him and if he reverts to bad habits during the game, sit him for shifts. Enough. While Tochett is at it start sitting Boeser some shifts as his back check and board battles have been crap lately as well. 

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

In my classroom, I have 28 kids and 28 different ways of dealing with them.  For every lesson, I create about 8 different plans and assignments because they all learn differently.  Tocchet needs to understand that concept........it's easier for one person to adjust their thinking than it is for 23 people to do it.

do you teach the best 28 kids in the country on a specific subject? 

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

They're not trading him, so does it matter?

He’s as good as gone 

3 top 6 forwards won’t win long term. 

5 mill in the pressbox while ahlers play and 4thliners  line up with the guy your trying to sell on resigning long term. 
He won’t ever play the way Tocc wants he’s just not a fit, we need a top six to play with EP that plays Tocs way. 

Makes no sense to keep a player when it’s clearly not a fit the longer it drags on the more obvious it becomes. for other gms to. 

Just now, stawns said:

Isn't it strange to you that only two players are held "accountable"?  And you don't teach somebody something by not giving them the opportunity to apply it in a practical situation and give them.the time and flexibility to work it out.  He is very clearly playing scared toske a mistake.

I think RT identified weaknesses in the team and is approaching it one by one. 

The first one that was singled out was Hogz. He then played his way into the lines up. If anything, we can say Kuz is getting the Hogz treatment. Hopefully, Kuz also plays his way into the lineup after. 

Funny though, recently RT was asked about Hogz' elevated play and he still mentioned that Hogz sometimes gets behind the f3. 

RT is a pretty smart coach. I trust what he is doing. So far Kuz has been playing ball but if he can't handle it and wants out, I'm ok with that too. 

The rest of the forwards don't really have holes in the defensive side. Boeser did but he came into this season a different player. Like who else would you single out? 

Walk before you run. 

Practice hard, get spot duty in games with favorable matchups and then once consistency is shown, put him in more games that are challenging. 

I don't find anything odd about that. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

In my classroom, I have 28 kids and 28 different ways of dealing with them.  For every lesson, I create about 8 different plans and assignments because they all learn differently.  Tocchet needs to understand that concept........it's easier for one person to adjust their thinking than it is for 23 people to do it.

Lol no you don't.

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Oh yeah..top 6 is looking great with Lafferty.on the top line (but is it the top line?) and BTW have you actually seen abunch od blown D coverage from Kuzy, I've been watching for it and haven't seen any more then some other players. I think it's demeanor, he doesn't appear serious enogh for RT, he needs to scowl and frown more like JT or be completely deadpan like EP lol

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

do you teach the best 28 kids in the country on a specific subject? 

What's that got to do with anything?  Whether you're a coach or teacher you have to understand that everyone is different and you have to approach each of them differently to get the best out of them.  So far, I see toccchet using a blunt hammer on everyone who he thinks doesn't play the tocchet way........which is fine if that's what they want to do, but you can't just sit him in the press box and tank any value he has.  

To me, it's a pride thing and it's going to wreck a player and his value as an asset.

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think RT identified weaknesses in the team and is approaching it one by one. 

The first one that was singled out was Hogz. He then played his way into the lines up. If anything, we can say Kuz is getting the Hogz treatment. Hopefully, Kuz also plays his way into the lineup after. 

Funny though, recently RT was asked about Hogz' elevated play and he still mentioned that Hogz sometimes gets behind the f3. 

RT is a pretty smart coach. I trust what he is doing. So far Kuz has been playing ball but if he can't handle it and wants out, I'm ok with that too. 

The rest of the forwards don't really have holes in the defensive side. Boeser did but he came into this season a different player. Like who else would you single out? 

Walk before you run. 

Practice hard, get spot duty in games with favorable matchups and then once consistency is shown, put him in more games that are challenging. 

I don't find anything odd about that. 

I certainly don't see hogz getting a lot of reward for being one of the best, hardest working players on the team.  He's the first one demoted.

For everyone complaining about the “treatment” of Kuzmenko, management has already come out and said they have a plan with him and his agent seemed very much on board.

Based on JR’s comments on him not being in “hockey shape” I would imagine the plan involves getting his fitness level up to their standards. So giving him games off to work on those goals is probably part of that plan.

I would be surprised if he sits more than a game.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I just want to stick to what we know/can prove objectively:

1. Kuz has some of the worst defensive numbers on the team, even with so much time with Petey

2. Rutherford told us his offseason training was wrong

3. His agent says there is a plan everyone is on board with.

Lets take the emotion and speculation out of it and what do we have? Pooched offseason training. 

I believe we can get the player back, but improving conditioning during the season is just so difficult. We may not see it until next season when he can train properly in the summer and will be very very motivated in his one big contract year opportunity. 

If we lose Kuz and potentially Petey due to Tocc. Then Tocc must bring us the cup in the next few years. Nothing less.

It is far easier to get a new coach than replacing those two talents. That's why coaches dont make nearly the dough players do. 

I dont have much emotion in it. But it is interesting to speculate. It's nice today that we can all have convos about it without being yelled at about being negative.

It is also intestesing about all this off season talk. Times have changed. Kuz is in shape but didnt do it the right way. I havent heard that since Brent Sopel had to put on muscle to please an abusive Crawford ( one of my fav coaches of the Nucks)

• Vintage 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

If we lose Kuz and potentially Petey due to Tocc. Then Tocc must bring us the cup in the next few years. Nothing less.

It is far easier to get a new coach than replacing those two talents. That's why coaches dont make nearly the dough players do. 

I dont have much emotion in it. But it is interesting to speculate. It's nice today that we can all have convos about it without being yelled at about being negative.

It is also intestesing about all this off season talk. Times have changed. Kuz is in shape but didnt do it the right way. I havent heard that since Brent Sopel had to put on muscle to please an abusive Crawford ( one of my fav coaches of the Nucks)

For Real Truth GIF by The Comeback HBO

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

What's that got to do with anything?  Whether you're a coach or teacher you have to understand that everyone is different and you have to approach each of them differently to get the best out of them.  So far, I see toccchet using a blunt hammer on everyone who he thinks doesn't play the tocchet way........which is fine if that's what they want to do, but you can't just sit him in the press box and tank any value he has.  

To me, it's a pride thing and it's going to wreck a player and his value as an asset.

Which makes the point of sitting Kuz more than treating him "the same" as others. He's learning differently than the rest but, for some reason, people are upset over that. His plan is tailored to him?

Imagine parents in the class coming to you, complaining that their kid is being treated differently/badly when you're really just tailoring things to what teaches them best. But it's different than their friend sitting next to them.

You're supporting exactly what is happening....Kuz is learning based on what they feel best suits him even if it's different than what others are experiencing. We don't get to see what's happening on the bench, in practice, etc. The coaches do.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

Oh yeah..top 6 is looking great with Lafferty.on the top line (but is it the top line?) and BTW have you actually seen abunch od blown D coverage from Kuzy, I've been watching for it and haven't seen any more then some other players. I think it's demeanor, he doesn't appear serious enogh for RT, he needs to scowl and frown more like JT or be completely deadpan like EP lol

Well obviously Lafferty isn't the right solution. 

What RT is doing is showing Kuz how aggressively and quickly Lafferty gets in on the forecheck. 

The difference is that once Kuz understands that and gains puck possession by going in quickly, he will actually have the skills and talent to create an opportunity with it. 

Problem is, Kuz doesn't give himself a chance to even have that opportunity to do something with the puck because he doesn't get in fast enough. 

There's no way around it. Petey's a centre so it's unlikely he'll be F1. So that leaves Mik and Kuz to do that. Mik can't be the only one. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Well obviously Lafferty isn't the right solution. 

What RT is doing is showing Kuz how aggressively and quickly Lafferty gets in on the forecheck. 

The difference is that once Kuz understands that and gains puck possession by going in quickly, he will actually have the skills and talent to create an opportunity with it. 

Problem is, Kuz doesn't give himself a chance to even have that opportunity to do something with the puck because he doesn't get in fast enough. 

There's no way around it. Petey's a centre so it's unlikely he'll be F1. So that leaves Mik and Kuz to do that. Mik can't be the only one. 

Haven't seen what you've seen

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Lol were sitting near the top of the league and were talking about firing coaches? 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1