[PGT] Vancouver @ St. Louis

Chickenspear

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it's time to let go of the Myers tropes.  He's had a solid season so far.  

i'm not ripping on myers.. i've actually been a myers supporter if you bother to read all my post regarding him.. it's more so myers cole zadorov soucy is not exactly capable of producing offence.. hughes and hronek both probably have as much points as all the defenceman adding up.

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Well obviously Lafferty isn't the right solution. 

What RT is doing is showing Kuz how aggressively and quickly Lafferty gets in on the forecheck. 

The difference is that once Kuz understands that and gains puck possession by going in quickly, he will actually have the skills and talent to create an opportunity with it. 

Problem is, Kuz doesn't give himself a chance to even have that opportunity to do something with the puck because he doesn't get in fast enough. 

There's no way around it. Petey's a centre so it's unlikely he'll be F1. So that leaves Mik and Kuz to do that. Mik can't be the only one. 

My eye test doesn't back that up.  Kuz will never be mistaken for a defensive fwd or a gritty forechecker, but he's not lazy and he doesn't float.

He's an opportunistic scorer who is in the right place at the right time.  They knew that when they re-signed him and now, all of a sudden, they want dismantle and rebuild his game......at 27 years old.  Sorry, that's not going to end well for anyone

Edited by stawns
  • Vintage 1

Myers has had a solid season to those who don't watch the games.

I will not move off that stance until he goes awhile without a big blunder that puts him in the box/us shorthanded or helps the other team score.

He's been noticeable in a bad way more often than he should be.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   Agreed.   There is a point the blender is  needed.   It's awfully rare a line is hot all season.    That's what this team would need though, if we want to see more then a couple home games this postseason, both lines going, throughout, is actually enough to win a cup.     EPs line wasn't really going at the start, despite him piling up the points.   

Hope they can shake off the Christmas break, and go on another heater.     Even with one of our lines red hot, it's enough to win a series ... Millers line was amazing to start the year.  

Edit:  Green broke up the Lotto line which was trash his final season ...  And did a blender and that's with Horvat in the group.   This is the first time, we are actually missing that element.    Hate to pile on Tochett, but he truly does need to work things out with Kuzmenko, and if he can't, move on and let Allvin pull the trigger on something else.   At this point another Tanner Pearson would do wonders, as in a middle six player that can provide a boost to any line, and give us a couple extra million in cap space heading down the stretch. 

Yeah. I've been put in that Kuzmenko situation and it's a tough one. You can ignore a player refusing to play the right way during the season and still have success. You can build rules around them like #96 is the only one who is allowed to float and purely go for goals. It's also a double edged sword in that you can get to the playoffs and all of the sudden that player is non-existent and become invisible, and before you know it the season is over. I'm sure this is Tocchet's concern and it's really hard to argue with a guy who has gotten the results he has.

I agree though, this on again off again treatment probably doesn't solve much in the long run. Either figure out something that works, or ship him out for something we do need. I'm not going to pretend I know the answer. Petey sure could use a targeted player to add to his line though and free him up.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol were sitting near the top of the league and were talking about firing coaches? 

I didnt type that.

...andI provided parameters

If....followed by a....then....with a timeline of....a few years.

If we lose Kuz and potentially Petey due to Tocc. Then Tocc must bring us the cup in the next few years. Nothing less.

• Cheers 2

Kuze had a overly large shooting percentage last year- and doesn't this year.

The team has an overly large shooting percentage this year, and a too small number of shots.

In games where the shooting  percentage goes down, and the amount  of shots stays down; we lose.

tldr?

Not enough shots being taken by the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

The other thing to consider if we're just totally speculating on the why's in all of this.

I've seen Kuz celebrating/having fun in practice....maybe the team, that shows others working their asses off, wants him to take it more seriously? Have more of a killer instinct and not all fun and games. While we've come to love that killer grin and enthusiasm....maybe more serious game face is needed? When Miller was taking things to heart and smashing sticks/gates closed he was called out for that. Maybe there's an extreme at the other end too.

Throwing that out there because being upset at him sitting without knowing all the facts and just assuming he's being punished and treated unfairly is only doing so with some information. Maybe there's more that we're not privy to.

I just get tired of always complaining about something/someone. Willy, Green, Benning....now Tocchet and company? Despite the success they are having, even if imperfect? I think they're doing something right in comparing where we were a year ago. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This is a good portion of CFF right now in a nutshell. 

I really like it. A sign we are alive!

Engaged intelligent fans hoping for the best.

• Cheers 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

The other thing to consider if we're just totally speculating on the why's in all of this.

I've seen Kuz celebrating/having fun in practice....maybe the team, that shows others working their asses off, wants him to take it more seriously? Have more of a killer instinct and not all fun and games.

Throwing that out there because being upset at him sitting without knowing all the facts and just assuming he's being punished and treated unfairly is only doing so with some information. Maybe there's more that we're not privy to.

I just get tired of always complaining about something/someone. Willy, Green, Benning....now Tocchet and company? Despite the success they are having, even if imperfect? I think they're doing something right in comparing where we were a year ago. 

Why you gotta speculate and complain about Kuz like that?

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Why you gotta speculate and complain about Kuz like that?

Because this entire conversation is based on speculation of unfair treatment. I just try to consider all sides, that's all.

I just wish we could all be happy for awhile...that's mostly why I'm in here. It's always something, even when the team is, by all accounts and purposes, doing fairly well. I've been opting out a lot lately because I want to be happy about my team (and am).

• Cheers 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

Because this entire conversation is based on speculation of unfair treatment. I just try to consider all sides, that's all.

I'm teasing you Deb but I make a point.

It is acceptable to assume a bunch about Kuz  but not about Coach.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

You do if you want him to rebuild his game to play a more complete game. 

They're trying to build a championship team. That means no holes in the top 6 and a defensively solid team. 

I would rather they sit him now to teach when playoffs are pretty much secured than sit him during the playoffs because he's a defensive liability. 

My hope is that we see him in every single playoff game. 

I love that management isn't chasing reg season stats. It's about playing the right way and building this team for the playoffs. 

lol they are far from a championship team.. they have more holes in the top 6 than swiss cheese.. your top 2 line is already struggling.. and you are taking the most gifted winger EP have played with and gimping his offensive capability and trying to turn him into some defensive grinder that won't cheat up the ice.. take chances offensively and be one of the first back in the defensive zone. 

that is a very bold statement playoffs are pretty much secured.. we were pretty sure edmonton would be out of the playoffs by november and they 2 points from the last wc with 4 games in hand.. we have a very tough january schedule.. we can easily be in 4th in the pacific by the end of january.. new jersey who we beaten once in like 8 years.. rangers.. the top team in the east at msg.. then islanders on a back to back.. if we dont win 1 of the next 2 games.. we have a very high chance of losing 4 in a row with the back to back game.

i don't think we have to worry about kuzmenko being in every single playoff game.. chances are high he'll be long gone before the playoff. kuzmenko will never play the style of hockey RT wants to play.. if like you said the playoff is pretty much guaranteed.. might as well play kuzmenko and let him do whatever he wants so he can rebuild his value.. sitting him in the pressbox and benching him every game ain't gonna help.

• Cheers 1

I want to pick on Mik a bit.

Love the speed, works hard and does the right things but he just doesn't seem to have instinctive creativity. 

Not sure if he is  the right Petey pal. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol they are far from a championship team.. they have more holes in the top 6 than swiss cheese.. your top 2 line is already struggling.. and you are taking the most gifted winger EP have played with and gimping his offensive capability and trying to turn him into some defensive grinder that won't cheat up the ice.. take chances offensively and be one of the first back in the defensive zone. 

that is a very bold statement playoffs are pretty much secured.. we were pretty sure edmonton would be out of the playoffs by november and they 2 points from the last wc with 4 games in hand.. we have a very tough january schedule.. we can easily be in 4th in the pacific by the end of january.. new jersey who we beaten once in like 8 years.. rangers.. the top team in the east at msg.. then islanders on a back to back.. if we dont win 1 of the next 2 games.. we have a very high chance of losing 4 in a row with the back to back game.

i don't think we have to worry about kuzmenko being in every single playoff game.. chances are high he'll be long gone before the playoff. kuzmenko will never play the style of hockey RT wants to play.. if like you said the playoff is pretty much guaranteed.. might as well play kuzmenko and let him do whatever he wants so he can rebuild his value.. sitting him in the pressbox and benching him every game ain't gonna help.

We are a Championship team. Champions are built around great players. We have the best core in the league. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Love the speed, works hard and does the right things but he just doesn't seem to have instinctive creativity. 

Not usre if he is  the right Petey pal. 

Nor a good shot

Missed a lot of opportunities 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Not usre if he is  the right Petey pal. 

I'd give Mikeyehev a game off, now and then, anyway.

Coming back from that surgery-a day off, occasionally, would likely help him.

His speed is his greatest asset, and without being fresh-his speed is not that much better than his opponents.

Edited by Gurn
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I've seen Kuz celebrating/having fun in practice....maybe the team, that shows others working their asses off, wants him to take it more seriously? Have more of a killer instinct and not all fun and games. While we've come to love that killer grin and enthusiasm....maybe more serious game face is needed? When Miller was taking things to heart and smashing sticks/gates closed he was called out for that. Maybe there's an extreme at the other end too.

Exactly! The club knows they can’t teach any player the elite skills Kuz Missile has. But they know 100% they can teach how to play winning hockey. Kuz is learning to play the right way. Once done he will be a huge piece to our winning. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are a Championship team. Champions are built around great players. We have the best core in the league. 

Yes.

You and I have been saying this about our core for a while now.

It's why my microscope is tighter these days. Brass included. This is our window. 

Plan the parade.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2