Rick Tocchet's treatment of Kuzmenko is starting to get upsetting

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

He has proven he can't be a 200' player; they have tried  for almost a year to do that. That is not who he is. You can work on someone's game and try to improve (all great steps), but continuing to sideline a pure goal scorer and not utilize 5.5m on a cap strapped team is not the solution.

The canucks are currently lucky that the 3rd line is playing lights out, otherwise the struggle to score goals from the Top6 would be costing the team points right now. We need to get the top 2 lines going again, and sidelining Kuz and his 5.5m in cap is not the answer

Period.

If that 3rd line offence dries up, we will have a LOT more people realize that benching a 39 goal scorer is idiotic.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Don't think so ... those 143 goals didn't all come from the 3rd line.

IMG_20240105_132250.jpg.41efc8106a6def0a9a40c3cabfeeed94.jpg

Large chunk came in the first 15 to 20 games of the season.  That's where we had several blowout wins.  Lately it's been the 3rd line carrying the offensive load.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

And that is great, but we lost by 1 goal last night where the top 6 looked lost with Lafferty; offense died on his stick. Last night, Kuzmenko could of been the difference.

I agree.

Another point I'll add to my earlier one is that once a player has found his way into the coach's doghouse, it's very difficult to get out of it.

I'm happy with the way the season has gone, but last night was a wasted opportunity....especially with more difficult games coming up on this road trip.

I'd love to know what Allvin and JR think about this, because they can't be too thrilled to see the guy they gave a 2 year $11 million deal sitting in favor of AHL call-ups.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Those 143 goals also came from our Top 6. They've bounced back and will again.  

Not saying they didn't.  Just saying the top 6 is offensively more gifted with Kuzmenko than without him.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not saying they didn't.  Just saying the top 6 is offensively more gifted with Kuzmenko than without him.

He's also a liability in his defensive game. His GA prove that. That's why they're working with him. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Large chunk came in the first 15 to 20 games of the season.  That's where we had several blowout wins.  Lately it's been the 3rd line carrying the offensive load.

people seem to totally misunderstand the point of having depth in the lineup. 

the point of having depth isn't so that you can have 4 lines firing on all cylinders all the time and put up 7 burgers on teams every night. the point is so that when some guys aren't going, others are. 

it's a long season. every single player has ups and downs. it's a team game for a reason 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Playing guys like Lafferty and Suter on Petey's wing is the dumbest shit ever and I have no idea why Tocchet is doing this.  

If coaching wants Kuzmenko to have less minutes while he gets his conditioning up to snuff, that's fine, but why make Petey suffer for it?

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser (welcome back Lotto line)

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Mikheyev-Suter-Hoglander

Kuzmenko-Lafferty-PDG

Or something like that.  So - if it truly is an issue of getting Kuzmenko's fitness back, then fine, but atleast give Petey some good line mates

Get the frustration.   Let's see how things go.   Do think that we don't have all the data.   Seems like this teams version of JV.    Also don't think he's going to last as a Canuck much longer (or that they will let this carry on past the TDL if it doesn't sort itself out ).     Highly doubt Tochett is petty and making an example of him too.   Pushing some buttons maybe.   I'm sure he just wants to see him put a better effort in on the other side of the puck ...  Doesn't seem to trust him.  Sure would be great if things work out.  Not sure if it will anymore, so get it.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, tas said:

the point of having depth isn't so that you can have 4 lines firing on all cylinders all the time and put up 7 burgers on teams every night. the point is so that when some guys aren't going, others are. 

it's a long season. every single player has ups and downs. it's a team game for a reason 

This team, firing on all cylinders, can beat anyone in the league.     

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This team, firing on all cylinders, can beat anyone in the league.     

definitely, as they proved storming out of the gate. personally, I'm comfortable with them saving some wear and tear on some of those cylinders for the playoffs.  

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

He's also a liability in his defensive game. His GA prove that. That's why they're working with him. 

So are many other high end offensive talents around the league.  You coach to their strengths.  Imagine forcing guys like Panarin or Kaprizov to play hard nosed 200ft games... it's totally removing their strongest asset from the lineup.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't care too much about players having ups and downs.  It's when the downs are coach driven in the sense they are completely removed from the lineup that has me questioning things.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I don't care too much about players having ups and downs.  It's when the downs are coach driven in the sense they are completely removed from the lineup that has me questioning things.

is there a wall somewhere I can smash my head into real quick?

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

kuzmenko wasn't the guy putting up those points from the top 6. 

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So are many other high end offensive talents around the league.  You coach to their strengths.  Imagine forcing guys like Panarin or Kaprizov to play hard nosed 200ft games... it's totally removing their strongest asset from the lineup.

They're adding other dimensions to his game. It's required in the system/structure/culture from top to bottom in the organization. No one is exempt. Tocchet and management said they will not sacrifice playing the right way for short term wins playing the wrong way.

Boeser has improved dimensionally, so has Joshua and Hoglander. With Kuz, that's what this is about. 

It's just what is. It's either going to make Kuz and the team better or he gets traded. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I want our team to dress the best roster possible.  Not having 3rd or 4th line players taking spots of a 39 goal top 6 winger.  I don't care how many hits Kuzmenko has.  I care about how many goals he helps to generate.  You know... the scoreboard.

We can't have 3 guys on a line standing around waiting for back door tap in's someone has to get the puck. 

Here are all of Kuzziz goals from last year. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, tas said:

kuzmenko wasn't the guy putting up those points from the top 6. 

He was on the ice when they were happening when given the opportunity. Kuzmenko's +/- took a hammering when he was shifted to the 4th line.

Not saying he's a fit on this team longterm, but the guy can score and he put up 39 goals last year. In addition, the Petersson line drives more offense with him on it; example last nights performance. Not sure if you watched the game, but Lafferty's performance was sub-top6 by a longshot. Mik and Petersson's play/effort was decent.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

We can't have 3 guys on a line standing around waiting for back door tap in's someone has to get the puck. 

Here are all of Kuzziz goals from last year. 

Then maybe play Kuz with Miller and Hogs then? Oh wait, Boeser plays the same game most nights now, but no one says anything because he was getting goals.

55 minutes ago, HKSR said:

For sure there is more than that going on.   It's not like he's trying to ask them to play like he did, not sure you could even find anyone like that.   He's not tapping him on the shoulder and cueing him to risk bodily injury (by going out to fight someone).   Maybe he just hates Russians lol.   Bad rumour.    He's not Panarin, and he's not Kaprizov either.   A regression was always in the cards, even with Bruce as his coach and run and gun.  

My keep Kuz plan, esp. if they dont plan on re-signing Myers.

Trade Myers

Acquire Brandon Tanev

BT EP AK

IM JTM BB

AJ TB CG

NH/NA PS SL

NH/NA

Id be really keen on seeing that forward group

8 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He was on the ice when they were happening when given the opportunity. Kuzmenko's +/- took a hammering when he was shifted to the 4th line.

Not saying he's a fit on this team longterm, but the guy can score and he put up 39 goals last year. In addition, the Petersson line drives more offense with him on it; example last nights performance. Not sure if you watched the game, but Lafferty's performance was sub-top6 by a longshot. Mik and Petersson's play/effort was decent.

I think you and many others here need to have a longer scope than one game. 

this isn't about WIN THIS ONE GAME AT ALL COSTS. I know it's tough to adjust to this mindset because we're so used to needing to scratch and claw for every single possible point, but that's not the situation now. 

yes, kuzmenko is obviously a better offensive player (at least on paper) than lafferty, or suter, or whatever other bottom 6 guy you want to plug in there. but that simply isn't and shouldn't be the priority right now. the priority is what's best long term for both kuzy and the team. what's best for both is turning kuzmenko into an nhl pro. the team's culture now will not allow players who do not uphold the basic minimum. there is no room to make exceptions because a guy scored 39 goals last year and has offensive pedigree.

do you want a joke organization like the oilers or leafs, or do you want a real one like the bruins or lightning or vegas?

everybody wants what's best for kuzmenko. why are so many of us wired to assume that every single person in the organization and the player's agent are just liars?