Rick Tocchet's treatment of Kuzmenko is starting to get upsetting

12 minutes ago, tas said:

it's not about being terrible. it's about certain non-negotiables that he hasn't been able to navigate.

there's leeway for lots of things but not that. if he had 0 pts this year but was consistently upholding toc's staples and not hurting the team and hindering their ability to play their system, he'd be in the lineup every night. 

again, it's not that's he's been terrible. it's not that anybody is upset with him. nobody is down on kuz. everybody wants him to succeed. 

Thing is that it was his give aways in neutral ice that hurt the team (put way too much pressure on the D). Tocchet called him out on that at his first benching. He said something to the effect that we want Kuzy to be creative below the hashes and responsible above. I have watched him closely since; he has avoided the turnovers. I don't really get how other things he does hurt the team. They just need to put him in a spot to succeed IF we keep him around.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

If Kuz puts up nearly 40 goals, I'm fine with it.  Clearly Tampa can win cups with a defensive liability like Kucherov, but somehow it's Kuzmenko that would be the problem if the Canucks don't win a cup.

good thing you're not the coach then. I prefer the decisions made by the guy that's going to win the Adams and has turned this team around unbelievably in a matter of months. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

How would he have proven that if he got demoted and benched after potting 29 goals and 65 points in his 2nd season in the NHL?  Curious your thoughts on that.

the +38 probably helped convince his coach he wasn't a liability. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

good thing you're not the coach then. I prefer the decisions made by the guy that's going to win the Adams and has turned this team around unbelievably in a matter of months. 

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for changing your avatar.

Just now, tas said:

the +38 probably helped convince his coach he wasn't a liability. 

Thats a team stat, and you know it.  Try again.  Advanced stats show he is a huge defensive liability.

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Thing is that it was his give aways in neutral ice that hurt the team (put way too much pressure on the D). Tocchet called him out on that at his first benching. He said something to the effect that we want Kuzy to be creative below the hashes and responsible above. I have watched him closely since; he has avoided the turnovers. I don't really get how other things he does hurt the team. They just need to put him in a spot to succeed IF we keep him around.

that's what they're doing by teaching him. he's learning a new system, new language, new country all at the same time. being in the press box isn't punishment, it's an opportunity to learn. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for changing your avatar.

I might go back if I can successfully brutally police this place into respectability. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Thats a team stat, and you know it.  Try again.  Advanced stats show he is a huge defensive liability.

I choked on my spit laughing at your mention of advanced stats. 

oh you're one of THOSE?  whoops. 

I'm going to go talk hockey with a magpie instead, at least it's sentient. 

On the one hand it feels kind of like Kuzmenko is being underutilized given how many goals he scored last year.  On the other hand the team sucked ass last year and has sucked ass for most of the last decade and now they are in the running for the best team in the NHL so...I smell what the Tocchet is cooking.

5 minutes ago, tas said:

since this seemed to confuse a certain member, what would happen if you trained for 6 months for a heavyweight MMA fight and then found out that whoops, you forgot that you were actually doing a triathlon instead?

Not in disagreement, but I don't get how a 27 year old hockey player doesn't know how to work out to make himself more effective? I get out of shape, but he is not a young guy; he has been playing professional hockey and working with professional conditioning staff for years.

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I might go back if I can successfully brutally police this place into respectability. 

OK, so if you fail at your nonsense, you're gonna go back?

I'll start working on drumming up the resistance then. I recently learned that 70% of this site is up in arms about being a top team so I have quite a field to pull from. 

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Not in disagreement, but I don't get how a 27 year old hockey player doesn't know how to work out to make himself more effective? I get out of shape, but he is not a young guy; he has been playing professional hockey and working with professional conditioning staff for years.

because rather than listening to the program the team wanted their players to focus on, kuz flew his trainer friend to bali and had fun playing on the beach, focused on the wrong things. 

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

OK, so if you fail at your nonsense, you're gonna go back?

I'll start working on drumming up the resistance then. I recently learned that 70% of this site is up in arms about being a top team so I have quite a field to pull from. 

no. try reading again. 

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh, you're a simpleton.  I'll leave advanced stats out of it since you cant understand that.  So plus minus is how you define a players defensive ability?  How about the following season then... 

77 games, 66 points, a massive +9 ... now what's your excuse?

BENCH HIM! HE WILL LEARN!

there isn't a single publicly available "advanced stat" that's worth a second of anybody's time. 

Just now, tas said:

there isn't a single publicly available "advanced stat" that's worth a second of anybody's time. 

In your opinion.  However it is funny how NHL executives and professionals disagree.  Now you're moving off topic anyways.

Just now, tas said:

no. try reading again. 

i did.

you might go back to the silly moving avatar if you can brutally, blah, blah.

i want you to keep this one. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

In your opinion.  However it is funny how NHL executives and professionals disagree.  Now you're moving off topic anyways.

nhl executives don't use the public data, they devise their own metrics. 

edit: lmao at this guy thinking stevie y is basing his decisions on some twitter clown's war chart. 

Edited by tas

Just now, bishopshodan said:

i did.

you might go back to the silly moving avatar if you can brutally, blah, blah.

i want you to keep this one. 

try reading a third time?

Just now, tas said:

nhl executives don't use the public data, they devise their own metrics. 

You really are arrogant enough to think you know better than advanced statistics huh?  So much so that you go off plus minus stats to define a player's defensive ability.  I even pointed out Kucherov's measly +9 on a stacked team and you just choose to ignore it and sling personal attacks instead.  You've lost all credibility son.

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, tas said:

rutherford said it plain as day. kuz worked his bag off all summer and is in terrific shape, but not hockey shape. did the wrong exercise because he didn't listen to what the org wanted. 

yea, I really to think this whole thing might be that simple. 

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

16 minutes ago, tas said:

🤔