Patrick Johnston: Luongo was willing to go on LTIR to avoid recapture penalty, but Jim Benning never bothered to call

Miss Korea

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

IMHO, its too easy to put the bulk of the blame on the owner in this case.  At best, it makes Jim Benning as nothing more than a stooge for the owner.

Believe me, I agree and I'm not defending Benning.  I'm just opening up the blame to extend to the full organization for botching this

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Goalie29 said:

Big picture, did it even matter?  What would have Benning done with the additional cap space?  He probably would have just locked the team into another bad long-term deal.  So maybe the recapture penalty saved us in reality.

Maybe or maybe Canucks wouldn't need to talk contract extension with Pettersson right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SV. said:

Believe me, I agree and I'm not defending Benning.  I'm just opening up the blame to extend to the full organization for botching this

That's fair.  

Again, I think everyone is glad we have Alvin & JR running things now.  They'll make mistakes (everyone does) but again, I doubt it'll be anything like this kind of mistake.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

He may be a good scout but an idiot as an GM, obviously.   If that is true, he is truly a bad gm for not doing his due diligence and complain to the NHL about the cap recapture penalty.  I remember that very well and said, nothing we can do anything about it.  He didn't do his job to make one phone call.

24 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

He may be a good scout but an idiot as an GM, obviously.   If that is true, he is truly a bad gm for not doing his due diligence and complain to the NHL about the cap recapture penalty.  I remember that very well and said, nothing we can do anything about it.  He didn't do his job to make one phone call.

This is on Benning no matter how you slice it, but he clearly took on much more than he was capable of. It's not an excuse; it's an explanation as to not make the mistake. We often talk about bureaucracy being slow to get things done, but this is where having multiple voices COULD help (or it could also be the weak spot of an organization).

The worst thing about the Benning regime was that they'd make a GREAT MOVE or a GREAT draft, but then handcuff themselves. They could've learned from the successes and mistakes of Gillis. Gillis had his share of buyouts that HE himself signed, plus the poor drafting/development. However, Gillis did do a lot of other things well, such as signing free agents wisely (pro scouting). Under Benning, the pro scouting aspect was just not there.

• Upvote 1

JIM BENNING FROM THE START I KNEW WAS A DUD..ONLY REASON HE LOOKED GOOD IN BOSTON WASTHEY WERE SET UP FOR SUCCESS ALREADY...SAME GOES FOR CRAWFORD IN COLORODO...WAS NEVER A SUPER COSCH JUST HAD TALENT GIVEN TO HIM FOR SUCCESS...WEIBORD AND COMPANY WERE NOTHING BUT PISS TANKS AND NOT SMART IN HOCKEY WORLD...WASTED THE ORGANIZATIONS TIME AND LUCKY WE GOT OUT OF IT IN WHAT WE GOT. STILL THINK GILLIS WAS A GOOD GUY FOR THE ORG. BUT YA POOR DRAFTING AND JUST HORRIBLE CONTRACTS..

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I remember years ago when so many people on CDC were talking about how nobody should talk about how poor of a job Jim was doing because he knows so much about hockey and that nobody else could truly understand his plan.

It was MAGA level pied-piper self-delusion.

I just have to copy this message because I agree with it so strongly. It was obvious (in my view) that Benning did not have intellectual ability to be a good GM. He did not "get" numbers, could not manage the cap effectively, had no interest in analytics, and was not logical in his thinking. I kept hoping for the best, but I found Benning very disappointing from pretty much the beginning.

But so many people would say "he knows hockey better than any fan". Yes, he was an old school hockey guy  and no doubt could evaluate players by the eye test better than most people on CDC (including me). But he was not better at thinking through asset management issues, cap issues, contractual issues, human resource management issues, or analytics than a lot of fans, especially people who do similar things professionally. And I think he was the worst GM in the league over his tenure with the Canucks.

It still disturbs me that Aquilini kept him around for so long. But at least we finally got a good president (JR) and GM (PA).

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HOCKEYGOD77 said:

JIM BENNING FROM THE START I KNEW WAS A DUD..ONLY REASON HE LOOKED GOOD IN BOSTON WASTHEY WERE SET UP FOR SUCCESS ALREADY...SAME GOES FOR CRAWFORD IN COLORODO...WAS NEVER A SUPER COSCH JUST HAD TALENT GIVEN TO HIM FOR SUCCESS...WEIBORD AND COMPANY WERE NOTHING BUT PISS TANKS AND NOT SMART IN HOCKEY WORLD...WASTED THE ORGANIZATIONS TIME AND LUCKY WE GOT OUT OF IT IN WHAT WE GOT. STILL THINK GILLIS WAS A GOOD GUY FOR THE ORG. BUT YA POOR DRAFTING AND JUST HORRIBLE CONTRACTS..

Why are you yelling? You can get your point across without it. I get that your passionate, but calm down a bit.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

I just have to copy this message because I agree with it so strongly. It was obvious (in my view) that Benning did not have intellectual ability to be a good GM. He did not "get" numbers, could not manage the cap effectively, had no interest in analytics, and was not logical in his thinking. I kept hoping for the best, but I found Benning very disappointing from pretty much the beginning.

But so many people would say "he knows hockey better than any fan". Yes, he was an old school hockey guy  and no doubt could evaluate players by the eye test better than most people on CDC (including me). But he was not better at thinking through asset management issues, cap issues, contractual issues, human resource management issues, or analytics than a lot of fans, especially people who do similar things professionally. And I think he was the worst GM in the league over his tenure with the Canucks.

It still disturbs me that Aquilini kept him around for so long. But at least we finally got a good president (JR) and GM (PA).

Bias and proximity will do that.  It also didn't help that Benning came from *that* Stanley Cup-winning team, which gaslit fans into thinking he was better than he ever was.

Had Benning been managing in a different market, people here would have ruthlessly laughed at him and criticized his decisions.  I mean, Arizona, Buffalo, and Toronto (of all teams) catch strays here all the time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Jim Benning forgetting/not bothering to make phone calls should not shock anyone at this point.

Seems to always be running out of time. Like, what the heck are you doing with your time. The same time that everyone has, but nobody else uses that excuse. I remember when Benning made that comment publicly, which is shameful in itself. Like what a disgrace. What are you doing with your time as a full time GM of a multi-million dollar organization. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

This makes a fan wonder if our owner might have actually wanted the penalty, because he saved 3 mil per season (during our down years) and the fans aren’t upset at him? 

nah, Benning just gambled that FLA wouldn't want to lose any money either. 

43 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Why are you yelling? You can get your point across without it. I get that your passionate, but calm down a bit.

People stopped believing in the first 76 hockey gods because they spoke in lower case letters.  The man's gotta do what he's gotta do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Seems to always be running out of time. Like, what the heck are you doing with your time. The same time that everyone has, but nobody else uses that excuse. I remember when Benning made that comment publicly, which is shameful in itself. Like what a disgrace. What are you doing with your time as a full time GM of a multi-million dollar organization.

Leaked footage of Jim Benning in his office from 9 am to 5 pm...

daffy-duck-ahh.gif

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

nah, Benning just gambled that FLA wouldn't want to lose any money either. 

Only thing I have to ask, is what FLA was asking them to trade for the Luongo contract. If it was a 6th or something, then it's ridiculous it didn't happen. If it was a first however... That part of the story is mysteriously missing.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2