Patrick Johnston: Luongo was willing to go on LTIR to avoid recapture penalty, but Jim Benning never bothered to call

Miss Korea

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Only thing I have to ask, is what FLA was asking them to trade for the Luongo contract. If it was a 6th or something, then it's ridiculous it didn't happen. If it was a first however... That part of the story is mysteriously missing.

Yeah, this part is missing for me too. What was Florida wanting in the trade? And why wouldn’t they just put him on LTIR themselves?  
I remember there were points in those years where, due to injuries, Canucks had taken up all 50 of the player contracts that they could have in a season - I wonder if that may have been a potential reason as well. I’m having a hard time believing it without knowing all the facts. But I do like how Luongo was aware of the hurt he was causing Vancouver and is conveying that it mattered to him and he tried to avoid it in certain ways.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

Yeah, this part is missing for me too. What was Florida wanting in the trade? And why wouldn’t they just put him on LTIR themselves?  
I remember there were points in those years where, due to injuries, Canucks had taken up all 50 of the player contracts that they could have in a season - I wonder if that may have been a potential reason as well. I’m having a hard time believing it without knowing all the facts. But I do like how Luongo was aware of the hurt he was causing Vancouver and is conveying that it mattered to him and he tried to avoid it in certain ways.

Yup. makes me feel a lot better about Luongo...but we're still missing a LOT of information here.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Slegr said:

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. makes me feel a lot better about Luongo...but we're still missing a LOT of information here.

The point is that we'll never know because Jet Black Jim didn't even bother asking.

Yeah, I'm glad Lu cleared that up.  Makes me regard him in a better light now.

My gawd, just when you thought you'd heard the last of the crap in how JB screwed the team. 

Just promoting Trevor to GM, inexperienced though he is, would have been better.  So many dumb mistakes it reminds me of Trump.  When there are so many crimes compounded on one another its too overwhelming to try and describe his disaster of a job.

Utter ineptness in pro scouting

Futility and capitulation to agents in contract negotiations for his FAs.

Incompetence in developing the draft picks we did get, especially early on

Giving up on prospects too early

Trading away far too many draft picks and prospects for a team on the rebuild

No contact with Tanev, or any other players up for a contract, Tofoli and Stecher either. Ran out of time. wtf?

The only success he had he gets praise for is picking Petey and Hughes. But even on the 5 top ten draft picks he had, through eight years, which he got gifted to him through his own failures to make the team better.  Two worked out, one traded away (for the privilege of taking on OEL's cap hit), two duds not playing in the NHL at all, One still working things out in Abby.  For top ten picks, those are not great numbers.

And now this.  Yikes.  What a miserable failure. He took all the positive energy and momentum from the Sedin era and dragged the team down into the gutter of the league, and still strapped it with buyouts, capped up to the hilt, and no good prospects coming up the pike. Went on for years. I have to blame Francesco too for not realizing how bad he was. That or he was complicit and felt guilty firing him for doing what he was told. Or at least trying to. But a retool is harder than  a rebuild, where its a simple formula. Retooling you have to juggle so much more. And Jim just wasn't smart enough to handle the job.

People can brag one way or the other that we all supported JB, or that they saw through his ineptness from day one. Truth is in the middle. We all trusted him at first, because why wouldn't we? There just came a point when the crap got to such a big pile that some of us started doubting his skills as a GM. Then the stink got so bad we had to speak out. Some of us just saw it sooner than others. Some, amazingly, still have not realized just how bad he was. Reminds me, where are the Benning Bros?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The point is that we'll never know because Jet Black Jim didn't even bother asking.

Do we know that? All these posts say is that FLA offered to trade him back, not what for.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Do we know that? All these posts say is that FLA offered to trade him back, not what for.

There is enough of a narrative from both Brisson and Luongo to infer that Benning simply didn't try.

It was bad publicity when Luongo retired.  Had Benning tried and the ask was too high, he probably would've said something to calm the fans/media down.

Edited by Miss Korea

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Narrative. Excellent choice of words.

Again.  No effort to cover tracks when Luongo retired, no effort ever since.

It is odd to give Benning the benefit of the doubt when he's had a track record of doing this.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Again.  No effort to cover tracks when Luongo retired, no effort ever since.

It is odd to give Benning the benefit of the doubt when he's had a track record of doing this.

I'm just noting it's curious that very vital piece of information has been left out. You were correct with your "narrative" comment.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm just noting it's curious that very vital piece of information has been left out. You were correct with your "narrative" comment.

Please start over.  I'm losing your train of thought here.

Edited by Miss Korea

Even if it was true that Benning never called Florida about it - which is entirely possible, a couple of things still bother me about this.

1) Luongo seems like he’s trying to completely wipe his hands of it, but wouldn’t it still be his decision to retire? A team can’t make someone retire. He could have been put on LTIR with Florida, even if Florida didn’t prefer it as an option.

2) By Luongo admitting to the possibility of a trade to Canucks to have him on LTIR rather than retire, isn’t Luongo pretty much admitting that he could no longer play, because if he got traded to Vancouver to stay on LTIR, it means he could no longer medically play. If that is true, the Canucks should have been exempt from the cap hit. If Luongo is saying he’d prefer to have been traded to be on LTIR, he’s admitting it, yet the NHL still penalized the Canucks on it. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, kilgore said:

Yeah, I'm glad Lu cleared that up.  Makes me regard him in a better light now.

My gawd, just when you thought you'd heard the last of the crap in how JB screwed the team. 

Just promoting Trevor to GM, inexperienced though he is, would have been better.  So many dumb mistakes it reminds me of Trump.  When there are so many crimes compounded on one another its too overwhelming to try and describe his disaster of a job.

Utter ineptness in pro scouting

Futility and capitulation to agents in contract negotiations for his FAs.

Incompetence in developing the draft picks we did get, especially early on

Giving up on prospects too early

Trading away far too many draft picks and prospects for a team on the rebuild

No contact with Tanev, or any other players up for a contract, Tofoli and Stecher either. Ran out of time. wtf?

The only success he had he gets praise for is picking Petey and Hughes. But even on the 5 top ten draft picks he had, through eight years, which he got gifted to him through his own failures to make the team better.  Two worked out, one traded away (for the privilege of taking on OEL's cap hit), two duds not playing in the NHL at all, One still working things out in Abby.  For top ten picks, those are not great numbers.

And now this.  Yikes.  What a miserable failure. He took all the positive energy and momentum from the Sedin era and dragged the team down into the gutter of the league, and still strapped it with buyouts, capped up to the hilt, and no good prospects coming up the pike. Went on for years. I have to blame Francesco too for not realizing how bad he was. That or he was complicit and felt guilty firing him for doing what he was told. Or at least trying to. But a retool is harder than  a rebuild, where its a simple formula. Retooling you have to juggle so much more. And Jim just wasn't smart enough to handle the job.

People can brag one way or the other that we all supported JB, or that they saw through his ineptness from day one. Truth is in the middle. We all trusted him at first, because why wouldn't we? There just came a point when the crap got to such a big pile that some of us started doubting his skills as a GM. Then the stink got so bad we had to speak out. Some of us just saw it sooner than others. Some, amazingly, still have not realized just how bad he was. Reminds me, where are the Benning Bros?

Chris Gear doesn't agree with your statement LOL

Gawd I hope Conquestcondoms, whatever his name and AnnoyingG- oof start chiming in. After the loss against the Blues, we could use some entertainment from the dellusional Benning Bros and their conspiracies

Edited by filthy animal
  • ThereItIs 1

13 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I remember years ago when so many people on CDC were talking about how nobody should talk about how poor of a job Jim was doing because he knows so much about hockey and that nobody else could truly understand his plan.

It was MAGA level pied-piper self-delusion.

Oh they still exist up to now. Apparently the teams success now is due to Benning and Bennings failure with his tenure here was Gillis fault. Summarize, Benning gets all the credit and none of the blame. The Benning bros have a fondness of discrediting success and making excuses for failure, which is probably theyre unemployed since they'll respond to every shred of Benning hate in all hours of the day. Quite sad

Nobody understood Bennings plan whatesoever

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

LOL nice one!

Im curious what your (or others) opinion on Katts interview. IMO sounds like the guy is running on pure jealousy

Thanks, But to be honest, My opinion only, I don't think he's cappin'..He's been exposing a lot in the past 5-6 yrs..really not unexpected and even if he is than I guess he's a genius, Got over a mill views!.

At the same time, I'm going to listen to the interview properly, I only heard snips here and there as i was cleaning so i would have to get back to you with an honest opinion.

6 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Thanks, But to be honest, My opinion only, I don't think he's cappin'..He's been exposing a lot in the past 5-6 yrs..really not unexpected and even if he is than I guess he's a genius, Got over a mill views!.

At the same time, I'm going to listen to the interview properly, I only heard snips here and there as i was cleaning so i would have to get back to you with an honest opinion.

The interview is like 2 hours 45 minutes, Ive finished an hour and a half so far, its quite the marathon. No doubt Katt's a smart guy but to me at least, when a guy start attacking guys that were once his peers, guys he came up with, that reached a level now far greater than his, it sounds like jealousy. Again, just my opinion but all i know is if Katt and Kevin Hart were to have a stand up show in Van at the same day, I think we both know whos show is going to sell out first.

Disclaimer, Im not a Kevin Hart fan, never have been and never will, but I can't knock the guy's hustle. The guy was starring in straight to dvd movies 20 years ago and now wiill probably be a billionaire somewhere down the near road

7 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

The interview is like 2 hours 45 minutes, Ive finished an hour and a half so far, its quite the marathon. No doubt Katt's a smart guy but to me at least, when a guy start attacking guys that were once his peers, guys he came up with, that reached a level now far greater than his, it sounds like jealousy. Again, just my opinion but all i know is if Katt and Kevin Hart were to have a stand up show in Van at the same day, I think we both know whos show is going to sell out first.

Disclaimer, Im not a Kevin Hart fan, never have been and never will, but I can't knock the guy's hustle. The guy was starring in straight to dvd movies 20 years ago and now wiill probably be a billionaire somewhere down the near road

I respect your opinion But Katt didn't come up with them..He created his own brand going back to even the Friday movies...

name one Kevin hart joke that sticks out, he's a puppet..

I'd buy 10 tix to a Katt williams concert before i buy 1 to Kevin's..honestly dude doesn't make me laugh..and you know what else Katt doesn't do...

wear this!

kevinhart_510x450-3d5cf6602bea4561b0f3ee9c34ddb072.jpg.43952b678eba3e26935597e23fed2c93.jpg

Respect a man for not selling out, You might as well be a Gary Bettman fan!

27 minutes ago, Canucks 2003 said:

only reason I see is that Aqua man and Benning didn’t want to pay $3 million for someone to be not playing on the team, so they rather took the recapture penalty 

Yeah, and then goes out to pay Ferland 4 mill to just double down on the idiocracy.

I warned you all about how bad Benning was many years ago. You should have listened back then… His way of saving his own face all the time gave him away.

So stop blaming FA for everything Benning did.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Canucks 2003 said:

only reason I see is that Aqua man and Benning didn’t want to pay $3 million for someone to be not playing on the team, so they rather took the recapture penalty 

Same owner that was willing to sign the check to bring in and overpay OEL, Dickinson, Beagle, and Roussel? 

Let's not forget the buyout of Holtby 

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

This makes a fan wonder if our owner might have actually wanted the penalty, because he saved 3 mil per season (during our down years) and the fans aren’t upset at him? 

This I agree with. He could see Benning was losing control of his spending. Just grasping at straws to try to save his job.He was signing players with injury problems thinking he was getting them cheap. Ferland ,Poolman come to mind.

I also wonder what the ask was for the trade. I also wonder why the wait for this to come to light. Lou could have retired a Canuck. One of my favourite  Canuck goalies along with Gary Smith, Kirk Mclean and Richard Brodeur. 

Edited by Joe King

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Same owner that was willing to sign the check to bring in and overpay OEL, Dickinson, Beagle, and Roussel? 

Let's not forget the buyout of Holtby 

Willing to overpay a player and paying a player to not play is different. They were gonna spend to the cap regardless of overpaying or not. 

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Willing to overpay a player and paying a player to not play is different. They were gonna spend to the cap regardless of overpaying or not. 

Well there's than and there's the OEL buyout money