Patrick Johnston: Luongo was willing to go on LTIR to avoid recapture penalty, but Jim Benning never bothered to call

Miss Korea

Just now, R3aL said:

Ya reads funny.

It could mean lounge was open to it but all the canucks had to do was ask.

Or it could mean they never returned his agents call.

Based on Toffoli, Tanev etc I wouldn't put it past our group to not have called proactively or even return a call.

Okay so we cut bait early in COVID with Tanev, Toffoli and Markstrom, that was the extent of COVIDs impact on our roster…. COVID is having a much bigger impact across the league with all these contracts coming up like Nylander who just signed for top dollar while still paying Marner and Tavares top dollar because the cap never caught up to inflation. Same goes for whats about to happen when Draisaitl needs a new deal. 
We have a window to win right now because of Peteys bridge deal, Demko’s deal, Boesers deal, Hughes deal…

Crying over Toffoli and Tanev whos helped Calgary get nowhere and is continually injured at key times is like crying over spilled milk.

Look at the losses WPG has suffered the last 5 years and look at their team. Still competing, still rolling and now contenders. We cant keep complaining as if Tanev and or Toffoli were the missing pieces. Not having them allowed us more cap space overall and gave us a bit more room to squeeze some key players in the bottom 6 today.

8.75mil

we are a much better and deeper team even after letting them go.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Ya reads funny.

It could mean Luongo was open to it but all the canucks had to do was ask.

Or it could mean they never returned his agents call.

Based on Toffoli, Tanev etc I wouldn't put it past our group to not have called proactively or even return a call.

Luongo is also capable of picking up a phone and letting the organization he “loves and respects” know that he is willing to go on LTIR. 

On 1/5/2024 at 8:22 PM, N4ZZY said:

Seems to always be running out of time. Like, what the heck are you doing with your time. The same time that everyone has, but nobody else uses that excuse. I remember when Benning made that comment publicly, which is shameful in itself. Like what a disgrace. What are you doing with your time as a full time GM of a multi-million dollar organization. 

He was getting pictures of Kole Lind developed

11 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Okay so we cut bait early in COVID with Tanev, Toffoli and Markstrom, that was the extent of COVIDs impact on our roster…. COVID is having a much bigger impact across the league with all these contracts coming up like Nylander who just signed for top dollar while still paying Marner and Tavares top dollar because the cap never caught up to inflation. Same goes for whats about to happen when Draisaitl needs a new deal. 
We have a window to win right now because of Peteys bridge deal, Demko’s deal, Boesers deal, Hughes deal…

Crying over Toffoli and Tanev whos helped Calgary get nowhere and is continually injured at key times is like crying over spilled milk.

Look at the losses WPG has suffered the last 5 years and look at their team. Still competing, still rolling and now contenders. We cant keep complaining as if Tanev and or Toffoli were the missing pieces. Not having them allowed us more cap space overall and gave us a bit more room to squeeze some key players in the bottom 6 today.

8.75mil

I think one of the big issues people have is that if you were not planning on signing them, why didn't you at least get assets, either promising players or picks, with us being a bottom feeder and a weak farm for so long that is something we could not afford to be doing

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Just reacting to the title of this thread: If Luongo was hurt he should have been on LTIR, if he was not, then a call from Benning asking him to fudge it would be an incredible No NO. No GM would take that chance on a phone call: first of all tampering, second of all the optics of it seeming to be asking for the guy to commit fraud... I don't think any GM would make that phone call in the same situation.

Now the situation: that was a mess. The league was purely out to punish the Canucks for Luongo's deal structure, even though it was legal at the time it was made, AND likely looking for retribution about the Goalie as Captain issue. The Canucks got egg on Bettmans face there and i think the punishment for a preexisting legal contract was in part pay back for that. Just a thought, I could be totally wrong, but I can't shake the concept even years later. 

I think it's safe to say that had that situation happened, the communication would not be what we're hearing now for obvious reasons. Lu is just showing everything behind the scenes because he's already well past retired. Not to mention other notable LTIR retirments since then, like Hossa, Pronger, Weber, Price. No one's saying a peep about Weber but that trade still happened. So Arizona would have had some assurance, whether on or off the record, that Weber would be 'injured' the remaining two years of his contract.

As for the league, I'll go by the adage to attribute less to malice and more to incompetence. The League only less than a year ago released a memo that they'll be heavily scrutinizing players on LTIR prior to playoffs, when Patrick Kane pulled this shit off 10 years ago for that cup and Kucherov/Stone for Theirs. Not to mention the whole controversy with the Pride tape ban and the fact that they're only just getting into NFTs. I think it's just a case of the league dropping the ball here and doing the wrong thing than just targeting the canucks. 

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I think one of the big issues people have is that if you were not planning on signing them, why didn't you at least get assets, either promising players or picks, with us being a bottom feeder and a weak farm for so long that is something we could not afford to be doing

Let's not forget the pre-covid situation, when presented with either extending/trading Hamhuis and Vrbata in their contract years, we just sat on them and let them walk. The last regime showed a continual pattern of letting UFAs walk with little or no communication. 

yes it's not easy, but that's why GMs are paid the big bucks.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Theo5789 said:

Not everyone loves Lu

If it was actually in proper cursive, then i'd respect that letter ( well a little more anyways).    Luongo,  Bieksa, Kesler and yes the Sedins, asked to wear the skate but were denied.    Know that's going to sting for a demographic that didn't grow up with it and maybe some that did too.   Luongo grew up and wanted to emulate Grant Furh.   So for sure he likes it!

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Luongo is also capable of picking up a phone and letting the organization he “loves and respects” know that he is willing to go on LTIR. 

That's not how things normally work.   You don't cross some lines.   

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

And we also have to be understanding that with the unknown future of the cap, that could have an affect on moves like that. 
also the border crossing issues (which is why Gaudreau left and Tkachuk to a degree) those trades may have been very difficult to make if there was no border crossing, which is why we saw a canadian division immediately following. 
I dont think Benning had zero intentions of signing them prior to COVID, its that COVID Changed the landscape and we had to decide wether it was worth keeping or moving on from.  Ultimately it did not affect our ability to score or find replacements soon after.

prior to acquiring Toffoli the cap was announced to rise 4-8mil the following season. A couple weeks after acquiring Toffoli COVID brought that expectation to a halt. We acquired Toffoli knowing the cap was going up or so we thought. At that point it was time to shit or get off the pot. 

42 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's not how things normally work.   You don't cross some lines.   

Luongo chose to retire a panther. 
either way what impact did this have on us today? None. Its done, its overwith, we survived the 3 year cap hit and a flat fap which if we look back at it we coulda been tied up with another contract exceeding the cap freeze which would have made things very difficult resigning Demko, Hughes, Petey and Boeser

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

8.75mil

Crying over? It was just a fact we didn't even touch base with the camp? It is just incompetence from a management team that was understaffed and didn't have a solid plan.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Teams usually coordinate through players agents. It is why they have them. I dont know why your messages quoting me are reading HOT but we are on the same team here mate!

If you think JB and co was an elite and competent management group, I disagree. 

48 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Teams usually coordinate through players agents. It is why they have them. I dont know why your messages quoting me are reading HOT but we are on the same team here mate!

If you think JB and co was an elite and competent management group, I disagree. 

Nono im not specifically targeting you or anything like that. Dont take any of it personally or the wrong way.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Crying over? It was just a fact we didn't even touch base with the camp? It is just incompetence from a management team that was understaffed and didn't have a solid plan.

Sorry im just generalizing, Im speaking to the large group that hold onto the losses of Tanev and Toffoli waaaay too strongly. Im not speaking to you directly. Those losses dont compare to teams like WPG who have lost lots but have managed to keep retooling and staying competitive. 

COVID threw a wrench in the plans. It changed the future for everyone, the impact we felt from COVID was early… its still having an impact today on teams and more problems are going to arise for clubs around the league due to the cap never recovering and catching up to inflation. We were able to lock in our core of Demko, Hughes and Petey for 20.2mil in a flat cap…..  those deals are what were to come… Benning managed to shed some cap and on short term to prepare for Pettersson and Hughes contracts.

In the end, what impact has the loss of Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli had on the success of todays team? No negative impact. 

hard to have a solid plan when a global pandemic shows up at your front door right after investing in your plans.

21 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

correct me if I’m wrong…

Say we made a trade to acquire Luongo with the intention of putting him on LTIR… we would have to be cap compliant day 1 with Luongo before we could put him on LTIR right? if we werent cap compliant we would be penalized and it would greatly affect our cap situation moving forward if we had any further injuries that would require LTIR… if I understand this correctly, we’d have to clear 5.4mil off the roster to fit Luongo under the cap, then activate him on LTIR for relief. Or use up the entire pool and have no relief?

Yup good point

They'd have to do a lot of paper transactions prior to season to be cap compliant

On 1/9/2024 at 10:06 PM, AnthonyG said:

8.75mil

What are you talking about? 
Both was a great fit then but Benning had a little problem called cap and he was a really bad mf regarding cap and paid mediocre players too much.

Par example, with Tanev we could have Hronek on his own line.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:10 PM, AnthonyG said:

Desperately defending benning… I wonder how low you can go. 

On 1/6/2024 at 3:37 AM, Miss Korea said:

image.thumb.png.8a8e02d85ff2a11a8bc0dba25ff43ab9.png

Thank you Jim

Meh.

It is what it is.  

With respect to Jim Benning, he's not relevant to the Vancouver Canucks' organization in 2024.  

We have a chance to do something really special in 2024 and so let the ghosts of the past be buried there.  

12 - 12 - 17 - [within range?]

I've never been more confident in a President-GM-Coaching staff as I am now.  The Canucks are due for a run here within next 4 years in my opinion, and I'm confident that our current powers-that-be will lead us there.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

What are you talking about? 
Both was a great fit then but Benning had a little problem called cap and he was a really bad mf regarding cap and paid mediocre players too much.

Par example, with Tanev we could have Hronek on his own line.

What are you talking about??

the cap problem was the 4-8mil increase that came to a dead halt right after acquiring Toffoli. 
Schmidt was better than Tanev in every single way. 
Schmidt+Pearson+Holtby= roughly 1.5mil in cap savings during a flattened cap. 

Tanev has been injured every post season and had to play through injury. Not just that, but he was injured every single season in his career right up to COVID. Do you want to take that risk? Probably not a good idea. 
Look at Schmidt vs Tanev

Schmidt>Tanev the whole way.

“Hey come take a pay cut to say goodbye to your hopes of a cup and end your career here!” 
El oh el

By the way….you PAY for cup experience.

4 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

Desperately defending benning… I wonder how low you can go. 

The cell phone came out when exactly? 

you are like a jealous ex, you’ll dig up anything from the past and hold onto it forever. How much longer do you want to hold onto irrelevant shit?

Riddle me this. Why would we PAY to take on FLA’s unwanted LTIR? 
First we’d have to clear out 5.4mil to make room for Luongo, then once we have made room, we would pay and take someone’s unwanted garbage??

You believe everything you read and hear without ANY actual facts.

Luongo “instructed” his agent

Can you confirm his agent actually called??? Because if he’s instructing his agent to call, how come Benning is being blamed? Is he his agent? 

Benning actually spoke to the league and discussed it and tried to fight it. Whats to say the league wouldnt hammer him with tampering if he placed the call and tried convincing Luongo to come here… I mean the league did approve a contract and then came back years later with a change of heart. Oh but wait, we gotta go through Florida’s GM first who would have heard from Luongo’s agent who would have been told by Luongo…. The actual chain of command for a trade that never happened. 

You call it defending Benning, I call it common sense.

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

the cap problem was the 4-8mil increase that came to a dead halt right after acquiring Toffoli. 

Tanev has been injured every post season and had to play through injury. Not just that, but he was injured every single season in his career right up to COVID. Do you want to take that risk? Probably not a good idea. 
Look at Schmidt vs Tanev

“Hey come take a pay cut to say goodbye to your hopes of a cup and end your career here!” 
El oh el

you are like a jealous ex, you’ll dig up anything from the past and hold onto it forever. How much longer do you want to hold onto irrelevant shit?

First we’d have to clear out 5.4mil to make room for Luongo, then once we have made room, we would pay and take someone’s unwanted garbage??

Can you confirm his agent actually called??? Because if he’s instructing his agent to call, how come Benning is being blamed? Is he his agent? 

Benning actually spoke to the league and discussed it and tried to fight it. Whats to say the league wouldnt hammer him with tampering if he placed the call and tried convincing Luongo to come here… I mean the league did approve a contract and then came back years later with a change of heart. Oh but wait, we gotta go through Florida’s GM first who would have heard from Luongo’s agent who would have been told by Luongo…. The actual chain of command for a trade that never happened. 

No club would prefer Nate Schmidt over Chis Tanev. It’s not even close between those two players. Only Benning could move on from Tanev at 4 mil to a worse player in Schmidt at 6 mil and then an even worse player in OElevator at 7.2 mil while giving up huge futures to do so. 

Just now, Alflives said:

No club would prefer Nate Schmidt over Chis Tanev. It’s not even close between those two players. Only Benning could move on from Tanev at 4 mil to a worse player in Schmidt at 6 mil and then an even worse player in OElevator at 7.2 mil while giving up huge futures to do so. 

El oh el

WPG says hello from first place in the league. 

Sorry whats that CGY? Cant hear you and Tanev from the bottom half of the league

7 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Look at Schmidt vs Tanev

ok, Tanev was injured and so is MacKinnon… Let’s get MacKinnon then because Col probably want him off their injure list.

Scmidt was was a mismatch as OEL was since Benning didn’t have the intelligence to target the ”right” players.

Pearson was two mill to expensive for what he had to give.

Holtby… Talk about give up all plans of playoff.

If Benning kept Marky and Demko together we probably reach playoff every year and Benning wouldn’t even try to get OEL.

Marky stills play good so with the right environment he wins games.

7 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

El oh el

If Benning checked with the League I’m fine with that but I didn’t see any proof of that in the thread before.

@Alflives

Christopher Tanev

5v5

Nate Schmidt

VAN Team VGK
D Position D
69 GP 59
1043:05 TOI 1045:10
903 CF 1072
1040 CA 944
46.47 CF% 53.17
682 FF 802
756 FA 706
47.43 FF% 53.18
482 SF 577
561 SA 533
46.21 SF% 51.98
45 GF 46
51 GA 42
46.88 GF% 52.27
42.54 xGF 48.26
45.92 xGA 42.55
48.09 xGF% 53.14
441 SCF 526
541 SCA 479
44.91 SCF% 52.34
186 HDCF 218
200 HDCA 203
48.19 HDCF% 51.78
28 HDGF 26
31 HDGA 22
47.46 HDGF% 54.17
255 MDCF 308
341 MDCA 276
42.79 MDCF% 52.74
13 MDGF 13
14 MDGA 11
48.15 MDGF% 54.17
388 LDCF 448
418 LDCA 393
48.14 LDCF% 53.27
4 LDGF 7
6 LDGA 9
40.00 LDGF% 43.75
9.34 On-Ice SH% 7.97
90.91 On-Ice SV% 92.12
1.002 PDO 1.001
167 Off. Zone Starts 151
264 Neu. Zone Starts 228
169 Def. Zone Starts 136
792 On The Fly Starts 747
49.70 Off. Zone Start % 52.61
310 Off. Zone Faceoffs 322
363 Neu. Zone Faceoffs 344
338 Def. Zone Faceoffs 319
47.84 Off. Zone Faceoff % 50.23

All situations

Christopher Tanev   Nate Schmidt
VAN Team VGK
D Position D
69 GP 59
1347:40 TOI 1278:31
978 CF 1282
1560 CA 1196
38.53 CF% 51.74
746 FF 965
1122 FA 897
39.94 FF% 51.83
537 SF 699
829 SA 665
39.31 SF% 51.25
61 GF 68
83 GA 63
42.36 GF% 51.91
51.75 xGF 64.26
79.88 xGA 60.73
39.31 xGF% 51.41
473 SCF 641
827 SCA 596
36.38 SCF% 51.82
196 HDCF 265
297 HDCA 253
39.76 HDCF% 51.16
33 HDGF 37
43 HDGA 36
43.42 HDGF% 50.68
277 MDCF 376
530 MDCA 343
34.32 MDCF% 52.29
16 MDGF 19
26 MDGA 12
38.10 MDGF% 61.29
408 LDCF 530
643 LDCA 514
38.82 LDCF% 50.77
5 LDGF 9
14 LDGA 14
26.32 LDGF% 39.13
11.36 On-Ice SH% 9.73
89.99 On-Ice SV% 90.53
1.013 PDO 1.003
180 Off. Zone Starts 188
307 Neu. Zone Starts 254
344 Def. Zone Starts 185
884 On The Fly Starts 924
34.35 Off. Zone Start % 50.40
331 Off. Zone Faceoffs 401
424 Neu. Zone Faceoffs 391
641 Def. Zone Faceoffs 414
34.05 Off. Zone Faceoff % 49.20

On 1/6/2024 at 7:04 PM, The Duke said:

Yes, I’m sure the league that retroactively slapped us with the penalty would be just fine with us trading for a guy who was planning to retire and immediately putting him on LTIR.  Mega brain move there.  Nothing suspicious at all.

Haha the luongo rule 2.0

33 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Pearson was two mill to expensive for what he had to give.

Holtby… Talk about give up all plans of playoff.

If Benning kept Marky and Demko together we probably reach playoff every year and Benning wouldn’t even try to get OEL.

Marky stills play good so with the right environment he wins games.

Pearson was not. Thats hooey Pearson performed to his contract or better lol even when he got injured and it looked like his career was in jeopardy we were still able to trade him for a return. 

Marky trade had to happen Seattle was going to snap up one of them. Plus that Marky contract doesn't look great.