PGT - Vancouver at New Jersey - 01/06/24

PhillipBlunt

Petey is great, but he also needs great linemates. That's what I took away from this game. So give him a couple of true top line wingers, pay him his money, and watch the best line in hockey do its thing.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rocket-68 said:

Yes, agreed which is why I said in a separate post Sid the Kid is a pipe dream. Guentzel is at least within the realm of possibility although I personally think Lindholm would be more likely than Guentzel. As a wise man once said "everything is for sale, it all depends on the price paid and circumstances surrounding the transaction." Just ask Peter Puck and Wayne Gretzky.

Yes that's true. I think Lindholm would be very pricey but way more likely than Guentzel. He's a lock with Crosby and Pittsburgh hasn't been a seller in as long as I can remember. You never though ... I guess he commented he wants more clarity on the future in Pitt before he signs long-term. The article I just read from a day ago suggests he may be in the $9 mil dollar range. Obviously too rich for our blood as anything but a rental. 

I'd love a big name player like that too but I think Allvin and co will be looking for that right type of player who is a better fit salary wise, and I would think they will be looking at the future as compared to going purely with a rental. Who knows though like you said, that's the beauty of hockey, and it sure would be exciting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

He's a UFA. You want more of that? so its June or bust? no thanks man... slow up a bit.

If we can get a long term forward on a long contract that someone needs to dump, that is our target. Looks like Toronto will have a few they are willing to retain on come TDL

Sign and trade, then yes for sure. TO will be looking to dump of course but I don't see a top 6 C or a bruising winger that they would be willing to part with to play in a top 6 role. For one I do hope PA / JR uncover a trade somewhere for a low cost player with some term that turns into John Druce 2 for the rest of this year and into the playoffs. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

I would go Hogz + 1st for Lindholm.

Hoagie is still a RFA after his current contract and tonight was a good example of how good a forechecker he can be.  Im on team keep developing Hoagie.  Canucks need a wave of young talent.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Tusk said:

He's a UFA. You want more of that? so its June or bust? no thanks man... slow up a bit.

If we can get a long term forward on a long contract that someone needs to dump, that is our target. Looks like Toronto will have a few they are willing to retain on come TDL

Lindholm makes $4.85M.  He will be 30yr.  So he’s looking for $$ and term.  I think he would be in the range of $5.5-6M x 4-6yr.  He’s a 2nd line centre and is paid accordingly.  

Myers will not be getting $6M from the Canucks next year and Cole and Friedman will probably not be re-signed.  So there is some room (not much) to make it happen.

1 minute ago, Cromeslab said:

How about standing pat unless a great deal comes along,nothing like dealing from a position of strength.theres no need to panic as long as we win,sounds easy I know

Exactly that. We dont have cap to overspend.... So there are a few other teams that are way over cap, and will have to consider buyouts, trades with %50 retention, so lets just not be those guys anymore. 

But we could trade a 5million guy for a 10 million guy with the right deal.... and have the same cap hit.....

If someone was smarter than me anyways.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Lindholm makes $4.85M.  He will be 30yr.  So he’s looking for $$ and term.  I think he would be in the range of $5.5-6M x 4-6yr.  He’s a 2nd line centre and is paid accordingly.  

Myers will not be getting $6M from the Canucks next year and Cole and Friedman will probably not be re-signed.  So there is some room (not much) to make it happen.

you just dropped 3 defenseman off the roster. you got some chickens that like to eat pucks or something to replace them with?

2 hours ago, NucksIn50 said:

Not pinning it on Aman - I actually like him as a depth bottom 4th line player. 

All I’m saying is we have a good problem on our hands but the Kuz benching/press box can stop now. Let the trio Suter/Mik/Kuz gain some steam. We have 2 lines going: 6-40-9 and 8-53-81. 

Go Canucks!

Aman is to light 176 pounds we need a beef eater back there on the 4th. Someone who makes life miserable for other teams rat fink bastads.

• Vintage 3

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Not with the way they played tonight they won't. 

Demko let in a few goals that I think he wish he could take back. 

Most definitely. And luckily he's got a  good team in front of him that can help him out when they have to. Nice for a change 🙂

7 minutes ago, Tusk said:

you just dropped 3 defenseman off the roster. you got some chickens that like to eat pucks or something to replace them with?

I suspect Myers will re-sign at a lower cap hit.  So there’s some savings there.  

Friedman lost his spot to Juulson.

Hirose / McWard didn’t look too out of place on their call-ups.  Perhaps they can land a spot like Juulson did this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JamesB said:

1. Great to get the win. The 6-4 score actually does not do justice to the Canucks. The Canucks were completely dominant through about the first 26 minutes with lopsided numbers for corsi, shots, expected goals, O-zone time, and other metrics. And they were up 3-0.

2. The most obvious point about the game was how dominant the Lotto Line was. Petey, Miller, and Boeser were just able to overpower a depleted and tired New Jersey lineup, scoring 4 goals plus a disallowed goal on a close play.

3. While Jersey did mount something of a comeback, the Canucks continued to be the better team and were unlucky to end up winning "only" 6-4.  The first two Devils' goals were against the run of the play. The first was a clean faceoff win (by Lazar), back to the point for a slapshot from a guy who almost never scores. That is a low probability shot and Demko makes that save almost all the time but this one went in.

4. The Canucks have been perfect so far this year (21-0) when taking a lead into the 3rd period and that continued tonight. But things did get disorganized in the 3rd period, especially with the 4th line on the ice (Aman, Hogs, and Lafferty). 

5. Like a lot of other people I was watching Kuzy closely, hoping for him to play well. He actually did play well and had a large on-ice 5-on-5 Corsi advantage (22-6) and an 84% expected goals percentage. He had the advantage of playing with Suter and Mikheyev, who are both very good defensively. He did not actually get on the scoreboard and I thought he played the 4th Devils goal poorly. He just wasn't quick enough to make a check on a couple of occasions and, in my view, was kind of ineffectual in the D-zone. He did not play another shift after that. Still, that line was good overall and I think it would make sense to put them together again next game. They were unlucky not to score tonight.

6. I thought Hogz had a missed assignment or two and so did Aman, so their line was on the ice for two Devils' goals. Hoggy hardly played in the 2nd half of the third period. But even so they were not bad. I would keep them together for another game. And of course I would keep the Garland line together.

7. As for individual performances, in the Hockey statcards, Miller, Petey, Boeser and Hughes were at the top with big numbers.

8. Turning to the D, Soucy looked pretty good in his first game back. He was not on the ice for any goals against and he looked solid in over 20 minutes of ice time. He also had good underlying numbers. While I am happy to have Z on the team, it looks to me like Soucy is more consistent. Hughes was great again and Juulsen had a very good statistical night. I would have a few criticisms of both Myers and Hronek, but no-one played badly.

9. Demmer did not have a good night. The expected goals number was under 2. Of the 4 shots that went in, Demmer normally stops at least 2. Fortunately this off-night came on a night when the Canuck skaters were dominant.

10. 50% on the road trip so far. I would be happy to get through this tough road trip at 50-50. Really happy about how the Canucks bounced back and played well, especially for the first part of the game. 

Well said. Well thought out. 

Many Canucks supporters will appreciate your post. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JamesB said:

1. Great to get the win. The 6-4 score actually does not do justice to the Canucks. The Canucks were completely dominant through about the first 26 minutes with lopsided numbers for corsi, shots, expected goals, O-zone time, and other metrics. And they were up 3-0.

2. The most obvious point about the game was how dominant the Lotto Line was. Petey, Miller, and Boeser were just able to overpower a depleted and tired New Jersey lineup, scoring 4 goals plus a disallowed goal on a close play.

3. While Jersey did mount something of a comeback, the Canucks continued to be the better team and were unlucky to end up winning "only" 6-4.  The first two Devils' goals were against the run of the play. The first was a clean faceoff win (by Lazar), back to the point for a slapshot from a guy who almost never scores. That is a low probability shot and Demko makes that save almost all the time but this one went in.

4. The Canucks have been perfect so far this year (21-0) when taking a lead into the 3rd period and that continued tonight. But things did get disorganized in the 3rd period, especially with the 4th line on the ice (Aman, Hogs, and Lafferty). 

5. Like a lot of other people I was watching Kuzy closely, hoping for him to play well. He actually did play well and had a large on-ice 5-on-5 Corsi advantage (22-6) and an 84% expected goals percentage. He had the advantage of playing with Suter and Mikheyev, who are both very good defensively. He did not actually get on the scoreboard and I thought he played the 4th Devils goal poorly. He just wasn't quick enough to make a check on a couple of occasions and, in my view, was kind of ineffectual in the D-zone. He did not play another shift after that. Still, that line was good overall and I think it would make sense to put them together again next game. They were unlucky not to score tonight.

6. I thought Hogz had a missed assignment or two and so did Aman, so their line was on the ice for two Devils' goals. Hoggy hardly played in the 2nd half of the third period. But even so they were not bad. I would keep them together for another game. And of course I would keep the Garland line together.

7. As for individual performances, in the Hockey statcards, Miller, Petey, Boeser and Hughes were at the top with big numbers.

8. Turning to the D, Soucy looked pretty good in his first game back. He was not on the ice for any goals against and he looked solid in over 20 minutes of ice time. He also had good underlying numbers. While I am happy to have Z on the team, it looks to me like Soucy is more consistent. Hughes was great again and Juulsen had a very good statistical night. I would have a few criticisms of both Myers and Hronek, but no-one played badly.

9. Demmer did not have a good night. The expected goals number was under 2. Of the 4 shots that went in, Demmer normally stops at least 2. Fortunately this off-night came on a night when the Canuck skaters were dominant.

10. 50% on the road trip so far. I would be happy to get through this tough road trip at 50-50. Really happy about how the Canucks bounced back and played well, especially for the first part of the game. 

Hey I always love your summary.

First time having to disagree. Its kinda like saying this part of the game was great because we stacked one line against a tired team. Sure, the rest of the lines suffered quietly (except josh blue garly)

Its nice to see the 649 but thats like saying your grade 3 student would look great if only he could be in grade one again.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Petey is great, but he also needs great linemates. That's what I took away from this game. So give him a couple of true top line wingers, pay him his money, and watch the best line in hockey do its thing.

All the more reason for him to sign a reasonable / slightly team-friendly contract soon so they can build around him.  

28 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Sign and trade, then yes for sure. TO will be looking to dump of course but I don't see a top 6 C or a bruising winger that they would be willing to part with to play in a top 6 role. For one I do hope PA / JR uncover a trade somewhere for a low cost player with some term that turns into John Druce 2 for the rest of this year and into the playoffs. 

The opposite. Its the top 6 the Leafs are going to have to trade someone with retention or buy out a contract if they dont make it this year. There are some skill guys there. Overpay your guys because you love em.... typical canadian. Have to cripple team because of it... typical old Canucks.....

It was nice to see Petey and Miller dominate together at the same time. Our defense pairings look great and will only look better once Zadarov comes back. I am liking the physical element that we have been missing the last few years back there. Juulsen, Soucy, Myers, and Zadorov bring that element to the table. I think we need to add that element to our forwards in some way over the next couple of years. We need to be able to be imposing to other teams defense and forwards. Right now I think we have too many of the same type of forwards in terms of not having that nasty element. I do think if we can at least come away .500 on this road trip we will be looking great. 

• Cheers 4

38 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I didn't read it that way, I agree that Cole probably won't be back at $3M and Myers definitely will not be offered a Benning type contract. Myers will be offered a contract and I hope it is for $2M x 3 or a bit less. However, there is probably a decent chance a Benning-type-GM will out bid us on Meyers thus a 50/50 chance he is also gone. Fried Green Tomatoes will definitely be back as he is an excellent depth defenseman. The games I have watched Friedman play, for the most part he played exactly as expected, excelled some games and knows his role - a depth fill-in when someone higher up the pecking order goes down.

As for D, there are some in Abby that should be ready to step up to the big club. Cole McWard is one that springs to mind with. Hirose is playing well but I think his size hurts him a bit and especially if all the elephants remain on D (Chaos, Big Zeke and BBQ Sauce). To be in the top six with the elephants, Huggy / Honker, Hirose would have to trend heavily towards Huggy / Honker light and I just don't see that happening. Would be thrilled to be proven wrong. 

Given what is up on the big team and what is down on the farm, the D is pretty solid this year and next. A lot of course will depend on whether Myers is back next year and if Zeke is extended (I think he will be). This leaves, in my humble opinion, a true top 6 C acquisition moving Petey to wing with occasional center duties or a solid, scoring power forward that will not be dislodged from the top 6 position even if a cannon was used to try and do so.

I, being one of the homer-ist fan of homer Canuck fans that exist, expected good things this season but not where we are at now. I am pleasantly surprised and extremely pleased to even be talking about breaking 105 points and possibly 1 solid forward piece (preferably a C) away from going deep in the playoffs. 

It is an excellent position to be in where we can talk about making swing for the fences trades now while simultaneously holding firm for a great deal that comes our way, a Godfather deal even. If nothing that moves the needle materializes then we would all be happy or at least content to watch this group take us into the promised land with not just hopes and dreams but realistic expectations of getting out of the first round.

Exciting times to be a Canucks fan indeed. Go Canucks Go and make it 3-1-1 on the next 5 games please starting with a regulation win on  Monday.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

I didn't read it that way, I agree that Cole probably won't be back at $3M and Myers definitely will not be offered a Benning type contract. Myers will be offered a contract and I hope it is for $2M x 3 or a bit less. However, there is probably a decent chance a Benning-type-GM will out bid us on Meyers thus a 50/50 chance he is also gone. Fried Green Tomatoes will definitely be back as he is an excellent depth defenseman. The games I have watched Friedman play, for the most part he played exactly as expected, excelled some games and knows his role - a depth fill-in when someone higher up the pecking order goes down.

As for D, there are some in Abby that should be ready to step up to the big club. Cole McWard is one that springs to mind with. Hirose is playing well but I think his size hurts him a bit and especially if all the elephants remain on D (Chaos, Big Zeke and BBQ Sauce). To be in the top six with the elephants, Huggy / Honker, Hirose would have to trend heavily towards Huggy / Honker light and I just don't see that happening. Would be thrilled to be proven wrong. 

Given what is up on the big team and what is down on the farm, the D is pretty solid this year and next. A lot of course will depend on whether Myers is back next year and if Zeke is extended (I think he will be). This leaves, in my humble opinion, a try top 6 C moving Petey to wing with occasional center duties or a solid, scoring power forward that will not be dislodged for a top 6 position even if a cannon was used to try and do so.

I, being one of the homer-ist fans of homer Canuck fans that exist, expected good tings this season but not where we are at now. I am pleasantly surprised and extremely pleased to even be talking about breaking 105 points and possibly 1 solid forward piece (preferably a C) away from going deep in the playoffs. 

It is an excellent position to be in where we can talk about making swing for the fences trades now while simultaneously holding firm for a great deal that comes our way, a Godfather deal even. If nothing that moves the needle materializes then we would all be happy or at least content to watch this group take us into the promised land with not hopes and dreams but realistic expectations of getting out of the first round.

Exciting times to be a Canucks fan indeed. Go Canucks Go and make it 3-1-1 on the next 5 games please starting with a regulation win on  Monday.

This leaves 

I see where you are coming from. I just figure the savings from a cheaper Myers deal, Cole being dropped, will just go to extending Heronik and big Z.

I also think there is talent in Abby but from Woo, Wolanin, more than the others till dEP and Villinager show up in a few years.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Tusk said:

The opposite. Its the top 6 the Leafs are going to have to trade someone with retention or buy out a contract if they dont make it this year. There are some skill guys there. Overpay your guys because you love em.... typical canadian. Have to cripple team because of it... typical old Canucks.....

Unless I am missing something here, I don't see where I said "have Calgary sign Lindholm to a 8 x 11.5M AAV ( with $10M signing bonus each year) and then trade Kuz plus Hogz with a sweetener of Podz to make the deal work." Sign & trade under a PA / JR regime would mean a reasonable contract not a sink the ship type albatross contract.