PGT - Vancouver at New Jersey - 01/06/24

PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, Rocket-68 said:

Sign and trade, then yes for sure. TO will be looking to dump of course but I don't see a top 6 C or a bruising winger that they would be willing to part with to play in a top 6 role. For one I do hope PA / JR uncover a trade somewhere for a low cost player with some term that turns into John Druce 2 for the rest of this year and into the playoffs. 

+26 for the John Druce reference. Stellar with the Caps in 89-90 playoffs with the incredible statline. 15 GP 14 G 3 A 17 P 23 PIM

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

+26 for the John Druce reference. Stellar with the Caps in 89-90 playoffs with the incredible statline. 15 GP 14 G 3 A 17 P 23 PIM

I remember vividly some of the games Washington played that playoff year and how he stepped up when Dino Ciccarelli, the Caps leading scorer at the time, went down with injury. He was an absolute monster but didn't replicate the same success in subsequent seasons never living up to the (at the time) big contract he signed with Washington the following year. That is the type of find I am REALLY hoping PA / JR unearth with perhaps one marquee trade if the right deal came along. 

Yes, up late working on emails since I slacked off watching the Canucks - hey priorities right. That and participating in the PGT a lot more than I usually do this time around for some reason.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

Hey I always love your summary.

First time having to disagree. Its kinda like saying this part of the game was great because we stacked one line against a tired team. Sure, the rest of the lines suffered quietly (except josh blue garly)

Its nice to see the 649 but thats like saying your grade 3 student would look great if only he could be in grade one again.

I was going to say more about the strategy of stacking one line (649 or "Lotto"). I might be misunderstanding your main point, I would agree that the LOTTO line strategy might not be successful against good teams (i.e. not tired and not with top D-men out), especially on the road. Putting Miller, Boeser and Petey out together is vulnerable to the strategy of putting a very good shutdown line and top shutdown D pair against them in a  hard match. If that line could be neutralized it would be tough sledding for the rest of the team.

Tocchet is probably wondering the same thing. The Rangers will be a good test case to see how it works out.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

I remember vividly some of the games Washington played that playoff year and how he stepped up when Dino Ciccarelli, the Caps leading scorer at the time, went down with injury. He was an absolute monster but didn't replicate the same success in subsequent seasons never living up to the (at the time) big contract he signed with Washington the following year. That is the type of find I am REALLY hoping PA / JR unearth with perhaps one marquee trade if the right deal came along. 

Yes, up late working on emails since I slacked off watching the Canucks - hey priorities right. That and participating in the PGT a lot more than I usually do this time around for some reason.

Yeah I remember that too. It was a massive playoff story that year, and a good one. I have faith that PA and JR are looking for that very player. I trust their pro scouting approach.

You definitely got your priorities right. And I'm proud of you for getting your chores done in the end too. 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

I missed most of the game but i see the top 6 lines as: 

Pettersson Miller Boeser

Mikheyev Suter Kuzmenko 

I find this a very interesting strategy. Is this what he played and if so how did the pairings look?

The 1st line needs to be a long-term thing in my opinion. They scored 4 goals and an 5th goal that didn’t count.

Trade for a 2nd line centre.

Garland - Lindholm - Kuzmenko could be a good line.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

I'm ready for Shorty to be replaced, or told not to mention streaks and jinx us. I swear he does it all the fucking time.

The only way yer gonna 'jinx' the team is if you're actually at the game and yell shutout loud enough for the goalie to hear you. Get yer head outta the land of make believe

11 minutes ago, Steamer4GM said:

Yesterday you say it's a sure loss

Then we win and you bitch about how we did it

You must be real fun at parties

Looking forward to what you post after we beat the Rangers

This is where CFF Troll gets all his quotes, stats, ideas, etc and then double checks to make sure he is swimming against the prevailing opinions before posting brilliant retorts.

image.png.b1a66d1a244d0eeb60272cc7bd1d12b7.png

Don't feed the troll and ignore (formally if you wish - I did). He will go away 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

It's a tradition since the tank days.  

It was more humourous in those days--sort of tongue in cheek celebrating our wins, despite not meaning much.

6 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I would love to see the Canucks give that much effort and heart that NJD did in the NYI game.  NYI game is our back end of a back to back and 3 games in 4 nights

As would we all but keep in mind, for us, it will be all road games so try to temper expectations accordingly if you're capable

4 hours ago, 88Canuck said:

Either you’re 6 cans short of a 6 pack or a massive troll!! Either way it’s sad and has become a significant annoyance to all the other great people on here. 

For the record, I think your both! 

This weirdo is a troll, Prob mad he/she lives in Alberta and has to cheer a crap ass team!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The Canucks dominated play the entire game and had a 80-30 shot attempt differential. Demko was horrendous and that's the only reason the game ever became close. Wins come in all shapes and sizes, and so do depressive fans, the category you clearly fall under. A win is a win. In a world with cancer, famine, murder etc... you CHOOSE to be upset about a win. That says so much more about you than about the Canucks tonight. 

You watch the whole game or just the goals that got past him?

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The Canucks dominated play the entire game and had a 80-30 shot attempt differential. Demko was horrendous and that's the only reason the game ever became close. Wins come in all shapes and sizes, and so do depressive fans, the category you clearly fall under. A win is a win. In a world with cancer, famine, murder etc... you CHOOSE to be upset about a win. That says so much more about you than about the Canucks tonight. 

You watch the whole game or just the goals that got past him?

If we can get a 2nd line center so Petey can remain on Millers line - we will be contenders for the cup.

Boeser Miller Petey

Mikheyev NEW GUY Kuzmenko

Joshua Bluegar Garland

Aman Sutr Lafferty 

Come on Alvin do your thing!!! This is the year to make a big move. Lots of uncertainty this summer with a lot of key UFA/RFA’s to sign (most of them will have raises so we are bound to lose 1-3 players). 
I’m ok with trading picks (yes even our 1st rounds 2024/2025) and B-C-D prospects 

Tired of 10 years of mediocre bullsh*t

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Very interesting game all around, of course we had the NJD curse but they had just come off a very exhausting Chicago game and lost their top player. On any other given night NJD surely would have whooped us but the stars really aligned for us tonight.

Obviously our top line was unreal, combine for a solid 4 goals plus sort of the empty netter. I thought Petey was pretty rubbish at puck battles but his top-end skill brings him a couple of very nifty goals. Boeser was brilliant despite not scoring and of course Miller ran the show and had a great game, he's certainly putting himself in the conversation for one of the best 1Cs in the game right now - obviously no MacKinnon/McDavid but you can't argue with his production, grit and two-way ability.

Because Blueger's line has been so strong lately it meant Tocchet could load up our top line, so now we had these guys as our 2nd line and they didn't disappoint again - solid forecheck, won so many battles, created a couple of good chances and Garland scores a massive goal out of absolutely nowhere at the end of the 2nd period. Without that goal who knows what happens in the third period.

Our bottom-6 had an adventurous night. I thought they looked good offensively, generated lots of chances and had lots of jump, but boy did they blow their coverage defensively twice late in the 3rd on identical plays which just cannot happen. Lafferty and Aman in particular made a mess of those point shot goals. Specifically I thought Suter and Kuzmenko had great games, and I think someone who doesn't get enough scrutiny is Mikheyev - a 5M guy who is very solid physically, defensively and does lots of intangibles but really doesn't generate much offence on his own or drive the play. When we look at all our 5M guys (Garland, once Beauvillier to a degree, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev), they have to bring something. Garland didn't for the longest time and we wanted him out. Beau didn't do anything so he's gone. Kuzmenko brings top-end offensive ability, PP skills but not much else. Mikheyev brings defence and physicality/speed at times, sometimes scoring but not all together. I think that's just what you get nowadays for 5M, just seems a bit much for me for half a top hockey player.

On defence Hughes and Hronek were circling tonight, absolutely buzzing. A massive performance by our top unit and when they played with our top line they were all-out offence, watching them cycle with forwards at the blueline. That was sometimes scary and no doubt if we did that against Hughes and a rested NJD team we'd be punished for it (that was how we played ironically under Green) but it worked well tonight.

Cole and Juulsen were a solid pairing, no concerns there and Soucy looked good coming back, nothing flashy and no big mistakes from him or Myers.

Have to shine light on Demko who was absolutely terrible, hate to say it but he just got beaten cleanly by so many shots from quite far out which cannot happen. His save % will rightly-so hurt for it. He did make like 2-3 A-grade saves, one off a breakaway and that Toffoli chance in tight, which were very timely, but you cannot be giving up two point shots late in the third with hardly any screen from defencemen who rarely score. Demko has not bee good lately and we need to do something to get him out of this funk. Maybe it'll be as simple as playing DeSmith more. This should have been a comfortable 5-1 or 5-2 win.

On the whole, very solid game. Their goalie stood on his head and we should have blown this game wide open, honestly should have scored about 8-10 goals tonight if it weren't for him. 6-4 flatters their team a lot considering they only played well for 5-10 minutes, but this was a bit of a gimme win with them playing at the end of a back-to-back and losing their top scorer. 

On to NYR and NYI which won't be anywhere near as easy. I'm not sure if loading up our top line is the answer against those teams who are a bit deeper, because we saw how vulnerable our bottom-6 can be defensively. I like the idea of changing it up during a game depending on how we want to start/finish. For example, start with the Lotto line for the first period, try and get an early lead and then split it back down and roll 4 lines afterwards, or the other way around. Tonight we looked vulnerable defending at times with our 4th line out there and you know a well rested NYR team will punish our bottom-6.

• Like 1

IM PS AK might be what theyre trying to do w DJ TB CG line.  Kuz gets the puck more w those two.  🤞 

Juulsen has really turned things around.  Starting to look really comfortable and more confident out there.  He can hit hard too.  NYR / NYI will be a huge test for him.  

The defence is legit fun to watch.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

If we can get a 2nd line center so Petey can remain on Millers line - we will be contenders for the cup.

Boeser Miller Petey

Mikheyev NEW GUY Kuzmenko

Joshua Bluegar Garland

Aman Sutr Lafferty 

Come on Alvin do your thing!!! This is the year to make a big move. Lots of uncertainty this summer with a lot of key UFA/RFA’s to sign (most of them will have raises so we are bound to lose 1-3 players). 
I’m ok with trading picks (yes even our 1st rounds 2024/2025) and B-C-D prospects 

Tired of 10 years of mediocre bullsh*t

You do realize Petey played centre and Miller was the winger, right? 

Lets get the negatives out of the way first... 

Demkos wall had cracks in it last night, and Jersey should not have gotten back into the game at all, + a lucky non call at the end for Millers tripping, but...

This was a great game of hockey.

The first 40 min probably close to the best hockey we've played all season. Only surprise was the 0-0 score line... if they had netted 8 or 9 it wouldn't have been misleading... massive amount of grade A chances...

Lotto line absolutely smashed it.

Zadorov scratched in favour of Juulsen is a massive thumbs up to to Juulsen, who just continues to get better all the time. Great to see QH not really needed on the PK because of Juulsen, Soucy, Cole and Myers taking the heavy lifting. and doing it well...

Most important of all... I could care less, if Devils were on a b2b and Hughes were missing... or the sun were in their eyes, the ice was tilted or whatever.. The Hoodoo is broken... Now lets hammer Rangers as well...

• Like 2