PGT - Vancouver at New Jersey - 01/06/24

PhillipBlunt

3 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

The only way yer gonna 'jinx' the team is if you're actually at the game and yell shutout loud enough for the goalie to hear you. Get yer head outta the land of make believe

Obviously the comment I made was tongue in cheek, and was not serious.. I do not believe that Shorty is actually jinxing us, just like I don't actually believe someone saying shutout will ruin a shutout(even as an ex-goaltender).

There is a big coincidence though when Shorty mentions something and it happens, though it's literally just a coincidence and the reason we notice it is because when we hear it, we focus on what was said and revert back to it. IE When the Canucks were up 5-2, Shorty mentions we haven't won there for 10 years and the streak is about to be broken, and then all hell breaks loose and suddenly the game is at 5-4. In jest, people will be like WTF Shorty, shutup, don't see many people actually saying that being serious or truly thinking Shorty actually has an impact on the hockey game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'd have to disagree with your disagreement there. 😁 It was fun to see the Lotto line together again and totally dominate the Devils. Our lines haven't been so great that the rest of the game was any different from the tight checking staples game we attempt to play every game. The third line was still doing their thing too. Kuzmenko attacked the net well. It's always fun when you win the game the way we did. We scored some real quality goals and played winning hockey in the rest.

Tochett going to the Lotto line needs some props too.   Shows he's willing to shake it up, and yet again, this team follows up a loss with a win.    It's also something he can plan for again depending on the opponent.    Or during games when we are behind and need a goal.   Ideally EP has his own line, but he's working with what we have.    Until Kuzmenko figures his stuff out, and can be a reliable addition to the top six or we bring in another guy ... this is what we have.    HKSR might be right about EP, as making him a winger instead.    Would need a solid C (like Miller), to really shine though.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I just don’t understand the hate sometimes.  Petey is literally on the same pace as Pavel Bure in terms of points per game and will most likely break most of the scoring records in Vancouver if he signs an 8 year extension.  His jersey certainly will be retired and he will probably become a Hall of Famer too.  

One thing that Petey can do that Pavel never did is win a cup for the Vancouver Canucks.  If Petey, Miller, Hughes and Demko can win the Stanley Cup, then they will secure their legacy in Vancouver and become the greatest players in Vancouver Canucks history…

Think it's ok to worry and speculate over his extension.   But it's not ok at all to refer to him as Bambi, and be mean about things he simply isn't.   Like the Sedins, they weren't like Thornton, and other big players that could throw hits (EPs actually added this to his toolbox this year) and drop the gloves and pile up points.   Wasn't their game.    As stakeholders (fans), it's ok to have our opinion of course, but there are some lines we should avoid crossing, even we are frustrated.   EP will end up with all the scoring records if he signs an 8 year contract, and can play 75-82 games a season throughout.    Like some have said since the start, he's part of a very small group of guys we've ever drafted,  that could produce from the start.  18 year old Linden, 20 year old Bure, and 19 year old QHs..  Brock looked like he could join that group too, didn't work out that way.    Nedved took a couple years but was close...It simply doesn't come around often.    Have my own opinion on who his best comps are in this league, and they are considered some of the best forwards in the game.   Doesn't mean we need to do something silly like MIN did with Parise and Suter either.     And with Kane and Toews, at least they'd brought in 3 cups first.     

We need EP, that's for sure.   Would be stoked if he signs an 8 year extension.   That would provide the team a shot with two different looking teams, much like Naslund had.  And Linden (for him it was 3).   And the Sedins. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think it was a more a matter that the third line was playing so well they got promoted to second line. 
‘Sometimes you just need to stack a line to get things going. 

Was thinking he could do this about a week ago.  Choosing NJ was a great play, no Hughes, no Timmo Meier.    Not at all saying we didn't deserve this win, we absolutely did!   They are still a very good team, even without some key parts, and it was properly lopsided.   Not sure if Tochett will stick with it, but also don't see any reason not to give it a go either.   Garland is channeling his inner Cliff Ronning/Martin St. Louis at the moment. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Demko is part of the team. If Demko's not having a good game it's on the team to help him out a little more

And so they did... scored 6... maybe should have had 8 or 9... great performance.

• ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Canucks got into trouble in the game specifically because Aman failed to cover his man twice.

Both goals by Miller and Smith were down to Aman not covering them.

I don't like Aman centering the 4th line, he is not good enough.

Yeah today the Pettersson/Miller/Boeser line looked good, but it is not a long term solution.

Team needs the top two lines to be goalscorers to be a real contender.  With Pettersson on the first line, the second loses all its creativity.

Meanwhile Kuzmenko had tons of chances, but he was mostly on his own on his line in generating chances... no chemistry with the other guys.

Put Suter back on the 4th line as center, and put Pettersson back on the 2nd line with Kuzzy and Mikheyev.

Well they did score 6... won in a barn that they haven't won in like forever. 4th in the league top scoring team in the league (or close), and yet lets be unhappy... 

PS. the garland line scored again... they have scored lots of goals for us the last 6-7 games+... does it really matter, who scores the goals?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

image.thumb.png.cc1ff76699ef922559172009674ed9b3.png

Devil revealed (this thread reminded me of that M Shamalyn movie from 2010 when the old lady was revealed as The Devil.  Legit scared the monkey piss out of me.  Anyways.....sorry, thought I'd share.  

Nice to see the boys finally get a win here.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. Great to get the win. The 6-4 score actually does not do justice to the Canucks. The Canucks were completely dominant through about the first 26 minutes with lopsided numbers for corsi, shots, expected goals, O-zone time, and other metrics. And they were up 3-0.

2. The most obvious point about the game was how dominant the Lotto Line was. Petey, Miller, and Boeser were just able to overpower a depleted and tired New Jersey lineup, scoring 4 goals plus a disallowed goal on a close play.

3. While Jersey did mount something of a comeback, the Canucks continued to be the better team and were unlucky to end up winning "only" 6-4.  The first two Devils' goals were against the run of the play. The first was a clean faceoff win (by Lazar), back to the point for a slapshot from a guy who almost never scores. That is a low probability shot and Demko makes that save almost all the time but this one went in.

4. The Canucks have been perfect so far this year (21-0) when taking a lead into the 3rd period and that continued tonight. But things did get disorganized in the 3rd period, especially with the 4th line on the ice (Aman, Hogs, and Lafferty). 

5. Like a lot of other people I was watching Kuzy closely, hoping for him to play well. He actually did play well and had a large on-ice 5-on-5 Corsi advantage (22-6) and an 84% expected goals percentage. He had the advantage of playing with Suter and Mikheyev, who are both very good defensively. He did not actually get on the scoreboard and I thought he played the 4th Devils goal poorly. He just wasn't quick enough to make a check on a couple of occasions and, in my view, was kind of ineffectual in the D-zone. He did not play another shift after that. Still, that line was good overall and I think it would make sense to put them together again next game. They were unlucky not to score tonight.

6. I thought Hogz had a missed assignment or two and so did Aman, so their line was on the ice for two Devils' goals. Hoggy hardly played in the 2nd half of the third period. But even so they were not bad. I would keep them together for another game. And of course I would keep the Garland line together.

7. As for individual performances, in the Hockey statcards, Miller, Petey, Boeser and Hughes were at the top with big numbers.

8. Turning to the D, Soucy looked pretty good in his first game back. He was not on the ice for any goals against and he looked solid in over 20 minutes of ice time. He also had good underlying numbers. While I am happy to have Z on the team, it looks to me like Soucy is more consistent. Hughes was great again and Juulsen had a very good statistical night. I would have a few criticisms of both Myers and Hronek, but no-one played badly.

9. Demmer did not have a good night. The expected goals number was under 2. Of the 4 shots that went in, Demmer normally stops at least 2. Fortunately this off-night came on a night when the Canuck skaters were dominant.

10. 50% on the road trip so far. I would be happy to get through this tough road trip at 50-50. Really happy about how the Canucks bounced back and played well, especially for the first part of the game. 

Nice job!   Took awhile to find it.  Like you, i'd be happy .500.    Love that the Canucks, yet again, follow up a loss with a W.   Also felt it was a good time tactically, to load up a line or shake it up a little.    With Garland's line playing like a top six line the past month or so... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

With our new possible Top 6:   

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Barring a trade, I could see a duo of Mikheyev-Suter creating the makings of an excellent shut down line.  Both Mikheyev and Suter are known for their tremendous defensive play and aren't exactly slouches offensively.  

Mikheyev and Suter for sure can be exactly that.   Kuzmenko was creating as well.   Giving them lesser competition might help as well.   Garlands line this year, 13 minutes plus change, could see Tochett pushing that up, and giving this a go.   Tough to say for sure.   We win most games if our top line does what they did last night, and we get support as well (Garland saying FU to the late goal in the second)...

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

NJ is the best comeback team in the league 

And they got lucky.   Lucky a goal was disallowed, lucky 3 point shots went in.   Batch was saying he was pretty sure Green told them to go blocker side.    Demko has bailed the team out a lot, nice to see it go the other way.   A sign of a good team...and well aside from coming back after a loss with a W (yet again!), we waffled somewhat, but managed to keep our lead again.     Tochett may have just stumbled onto something with the resurrection of the Lotto line too.   Last time it wasn't working (Brocks stuff and EP wasn't himself to start the year).    They've matured and all are in their primes now.  

Edited by IBatch
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

And they got lucky.   Lucky a goal was disallowed, lucky 3 point shots went in. 

Yep there's that too. 

Aman seems to be struggling a bit tho, but not sure what other options we have right now.

That Garland wrap around was a thing of beauty.  It was also a veteran move, he probably sensed that he had the edge over some tired legs out there, them having played the night before. Garland seems so good at finding that edge, and working it to his advantage.  Such moxy. Gold star.

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And they got lucky.   Lucky a goal was disallowed, lucky 3 point shots went in.   Batch was saying he was pretty sure Green told them to go blocker side.    Demko has bailed the team out a lot, nice to see it go the other way.   A sign of a good team...and well aside from coming back after a loss with a W (yet again!), we waffled somewhat, but managed to keep our lead again.     Tochett may have just stumbled onto something with the resurrection of the Lotto line too.   Last time it wasn't working (Brocks stuff and EP wasn't himself to start the year).    They've matured and all are in their primes now.  

I don't think the Lotto line is a the long term solution. The question becomes how long can Garland-Joshua-Bluegar continue producing at the rate they are. It certainly worked last night as the Canucks absolutely dominated the NJD. The score flattered NJ. Other than the somewhat ill advised pinch by Meyers the d-core looked good especially with Soucy returning. O-zone chances by the Canucks were off the charts. 

I like that RT played Kuz down the lineup. As you mentioned earlier it might allow easier competition for Kuz and a possible rebuild of his game. IMHO the Canucks have to have another soring winger for playoffs.  

So far 5 really solid periods on this road trip. They played really solid road game in STL just couldn’t score.  2 dominant periods here. 
.500 but the loss was a really good effort on a night where the finish just wasn’t there. 
I don’t worry about losses like that until it becomes a pattern. 

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Bingo.....

To think Petey and Miller are scoring at the same pace as Bure is just insane... And Petey hasn't even entered his prime yet... Pay the boy.

To be fair, Bure played at a time when even having a guy like Gino watching his back wasn't enough to prevent guys similiar to Brad Marchment for 'head hunting' after him.  Scott Stevens at least partially got into the HHOF with his patented (and then legal) headshot hits.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1