PGT - Vancouver at New Jersey - 01/06/24

PhillipBlunt

Happy to see the team get a lot of shots,  42 is likely a season high.

A rare Demko -meh- game.

Heard the guys say that former coach Travis Green may have suggested shooting blocker side of Demko, as that was what teams did a couple years back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

ideally. If JR can do his usual early deal we can actually bank some cap space to help make it work. 

I’m pretty sure he’s been “working the phones” as Dhaliwal likes to say.

They can see this team needs another top 6. It’s why names like Guentzel and Crouse are circulating right now.

Alex Tuch would be another great target although cost and whether the Sabres are willing to trade him might be an issue. That team has gotta do something though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Happy to see the team get a lot of shots,  42 is likely a season high.

A rare Demko -meh- game.

Heard the guys say that former coach Travis Green may have suggested shooting blocker side of Demko, as that was what teams did a couple years back.

Both of those long range goals were just perfect shots.

And on both plays our guys were late to take away the lane (Aman and Mikheyev). Normally we’re pretty good in that department so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m pretty sure he’s been “working the phones” as Dhaliwal likes to say.

They can see this team needs another top 6. It’s why names like Guentzel and Crouse are circulating right now.

Alex Tuch would be another great target although cost and whether the Sabres are willing to trade him might be an issue. That team has gotta do something though.

Tuch would be the best fit but that seems like a long shot to me, but would be awesome. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

You watch the whole game or just the goals that got past him?

Watched the whole game, he seemed very solid in the 1st, but as soon as the first went in you could tell his mental was shocked. Would you be happier if I said he was horrendous compared to his usual elite Vezina-level self?

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

Just now, Bob Long said:

Tuch would be the best fit but that seems like a long shot to me, but would be awesome. 

I agree it’s a long shot but if Buffalo is open for business it’s worth a call.

The player we need fits that mould though. We need a big body player that can skate and has a bit of an edge (Tuch/Crouse). Failing that we need a legit sniper (Guentzel). And if that fails we keep the lotto line and just get a reasonably priced 2C that can get the job done on the short term.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Yes, absolutely!

Even if he's a little off, he's still damn hot with some of his saves. 100% agree

And we won. That’s what’s key. Our club is really good. The goalie can make a mistake (all goalies do; even the best ones like Demko) and the club still scores enough to win the game. We are a very good club with elite skill at key positions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The player we need fits that mould though. We need a big body player that can skate and has a bit of an edge (Tuch/Crouse). Failing that we need a legit sniper (Guentzel). And if that fails we keep the lotto line and just get a reasonably priced 2C that can get the job done on the short term.

What about that Casey Middlestadt guy? 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The player we need fits that mould though. We need a big body player that can skate and has a bit of an edge (Tuch/Crouse). 

just checking the cap friendly, Tuch only has a 5 team no trade list, so good chance we're not on that? 

what would Buffalo want @Sabrefan1?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about that Casey Middlestadt guy? 

RFA at the end of the season and gonna be looking for a big contract.

Doesn’t make sense with the players we need to sign and center not really being a huge area of need.

Thats why guys like Crouse and Tuch are good targets because they’re locked in for at least 2 more years.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And if that fails we keep the lotto line and just get a reasonably priced 2C that can get the job done on the short term.

I like this idea.

Garland - Trade - Kuzmenko/Mikheyev could be a good 2nd line. 

Boeser - Miller - Pettersson

Garland - TRADE - Kuzmenko/Mikheyev 

Joshua - Blueger - Hoglander

Lafferty - Suter - 

• Cheers 2

Been saying from the start that we need a 2C. You don't really want Petey and Miller to be primary 2-way guys, you want them to focus on what they're very good at. You extract more potential out of both Miller and Petey putting them together - I think if we could acquire a two-way 2C that would probably be the missing piece.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

They're learning how to get it done...even on the road, against a team that's had their number (yes, missing Jack but Demko sort of balanced that out last night by not being his usual stellar self). No team is perfect and this team is addressing imperfections one at a time. Which is really great.

Also: How about that Miller guy, huh? 😉

Ya, Colin Miller played great ... got two goals, first two of the year for him.

🤣😂

JT did well along with Petey and BB6

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ducklover said:

I thought P. Shooter between the russians worked out quite well and should get some more time together. Great game overall by the team. GCG

It will work in the short term but long term we definitely need another top 6.

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I like this idea.

Lafferty - Suter - 

Petey is our 1C. If Miller moves onto Petey’s line it’s on the wing. 

36 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Zadorov wasn't scratched, he is day-to-day with an injury but yes, Donkey is playing very well, really coming into his own as a depth D player. I like Jules play and he keeps getting better. Bodes well for the Canucks D.

Amazing to think not that long ago, like last season, the Canucks D included the vaunted Stillman / Burroughs pairing. Not that they were bad, just that this years Canucks D core is just a WEE BIT better.

Cheers amigo. I wasn't aware of that. 
Nevertheless great to be able to leave decent players out of the line up without it creating any problems....

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I like this idea.

Lafferty - Suter - 

I'd scarred of breaking up the Garland line, as it a magic line. They've really found some chemestry. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t remember a player of ours embellishing that badly this season.

Refs should never make calls based on fan reactions though and thankfully they didn’t.

I know, but had he just gone down without the swirling, it would have been a tripping call. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey is our 1C. If Miller moves onto Petey’s line it’s on the wing. 

I don’t care who plays centre at the end of the day. It just gives us an elite first line.

A 2nd line of Garland - Lindholm - Kuzmenko could be a good line as well.

Or what about the Blue Jackets captain. He’s a good enough centre to be on that 2nd line? 

An elite first line like that and this team can compete with contenders in my opinion. But you need a good 2nd line centre. 

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I know, but had he just gone down without the swirling, it would have been a tripping call. 

Thats what I was thinking when I saw it.

He didn’t even need to sell it because it was clearly a trip. I think he pissed off the ref with that little twirl.

Good veteran reffing though. I think a lot of refs might have bent to the home crowd and wanted to be part of the “show” by helping their comeback bid.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I'd scarred of breaking up the Garland line, as it a magic line. They've really found some chemistry

As a member of the Internet Grammar Committee along with a BSc Mathematics with a minor in just about every other science discipline, I corrected you. We thank you for your patience and diligence in adhering to the the rules of the English language.

Now, mov'in onta betters-like matters, I dunna about breakin' up Garfield, Beluga and Joshua Tree either. De be GRATE! ... as one Tony the Tiger once said.

Unless of course, a Godfather deal came along that needed the Angry Elf as a piece moving the other way, then up comes Podzilla.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Almost made me throw my coffee cup. My lucky coffee cup.

413047316_10160711821860549_239530341084

I was expecting an instant ban for a few minutes before you came to your senses and read the last line, LOL. 

• Haha 2