PGT - Vancouver at New Jersey - 01/06/24

PhillipBlunt

The whole 3rd line was promoted to the 2nd line tonight and they totally deserved that. They saved the team so many times this season so far, and tonight the Garland’s 4-2 goal late in the second period was probably as big as a winning goal.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Been saying from the start that we need a 2C. You don't really want Petey and Miller to be primary 2-way guys, you want them to focus on what they're very good at. You extract more potential out of both Miller and Petey putting them together - I think if we could acquire a two-way 2C that would probably be the missing piece.

Bo Horvat Ugh GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I'd scarred of breaking up the Garland line, as it a magic line. They've really found some chemestry. 

I agree but if it results in an elite 1st line of Boeser - Pettersson - Miller and a good 2nd line of Garland - Trade - Kuzmenko. Then it’s something I would consider.

Joshua and Blueger have been good with and without Garland. I think they can keep the line going.

We will see what management does here but I think they are definitely trading for a top line winger or second line centre/winger very soon. In my opinion it should be a centre, but I trust management. They’ve been good at their job so far.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I agree but if it results in an elite 1st line of Boeser - Pettersson - Miller and a good 2nd line of Garland - Trade - Kuzmenko. Then it’s something I would consider.

Joshua and Blueger have been good with and without Garland. I think they can keep the line going.

We will see what management does here but I think they are definitely trading for a top line winger or second line centre/winger very soon. In my opinion it should be a centre, but I trust management. They’ve been good at their job so far.

Personally, I would like to see Garland go out as part of a package for Lindholm, if that is possible or Bucknevich from the Blues - although I don't think the latter would be a doable trade without overpaying (yes, I sit beside PA while he makes his daily "lets make a deal" phone calls 😁). Then bring up Podz for Poz - Blueger - Joshua for a 3rd line. 

This would keep Kuzmenko in the line up (I would pick him over Garfield) and put to rest, for this season at least, "let's trade Kuzy" discussions. I believe (and hope) that Kuzmenko will revert back to form with improved "staples" that Tocchet keeps harping on finishing the season with 30 goals and a much more well-rounded game. 

Edited by Rocket-68

8 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Personally, I would like to see Garland go out as part of a package for Lindholm, if that is possible or Bucknevich from the Blues - although I don't think the llatter would be a doable trade without overpaying (yes, I sit beside PA while he makes his daily "lets make a deal" phone calls 😁). Then bring up Podz for Poz - Blueger - Joshua for a 3rd line. 

This would keep Kuzmenko in the line up (I would pick him over Garfield) and put to rest, for this season at least, "let's trade Kuzy" discussions. I believe (and hope) that Kuzmenko will revert back to form with improved "staples" that Tocchet keeps harping on finishing the season with 30 goals and a much more well-rounded game. 

I know Garly was trade bait early in the year but a solid 3rd is so important especially in the playoffs.

I wouldn't want to remove that chemistry from this team 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Lets get the negatives out of the way first... 

Demkos wall had cracks in it last night, and Jersey should not have gotten back into the game at all, + a lucky non call at the end for Millers tripping, but...

This was a great game of hockey.

The first 40 min probably close to the best hockey we've played all season. Only surprise was the 0-0 score line... if they had netted 8 or 9 it wouldn't have been misleading... massive amount of grade A chances...

Lotto line absolutely smashed it.

Zadorov scratched in favour of Juulsen is a massive thumbs up to to Juulsen, who just continues to get better all the time. Great to see QH not really needed on the PK because of Juulsen, Soucy, Cole and Myers taking the heavy lifting. and doing it well...

Most important of all... I could care less, if Devils were on a b2b and Hughes were missing... or the sun were in their eyes, the ice was tilted or whatever.. The Hoodoo is broken... Now lets hammer Rangers as well...

Zadorov is injured day to day

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Yep if you can get a pick and flip it in a package deal for a top 6 center it might be the biggest area of need now.

Petey needs legit top 6 players to play with. That was pretty obvious last night. So we either need to find a 2nd line center or a top left winger for him to play with.

There is a certain player in Columbus that will be coming off injury soon that is 100% what this team needs for the next 3 or 4 years.. (Boone Jenner) IMHO.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Trade Demko for Ullman or 

Hmmm, very solid plan. Did you fall asleep mid thought or?

What a seemingly baseless idea. Why on earth would either team even consider this? I mean I guess Boston would as Demko has one more cost controlled year but ...why?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Both players are still onside though.

Has the puck crossed the line in that photo?

The middle Devils guy has the puck.  All good

I looked at the play again when the poster made the claim, but it was too close for me to tell, as I can't frame-by-frame while streaming.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I agree it’s a long shot but if Buffalo is open for business it’s worth a call.

The player we need fits that mould though. We need a big body player that can skate and has a bit of an edge (Tuch/Crouse). Failing that we need a legit sniper (Guentzel). And if that fails we keep the lotto line and just get a reasonably priced 2C that can get the job done on the short term.

They probably are, although I wouldn't count out anyone just yet. Buffalo is 6.5 points behind (tie breaker) the second wild card spot currently held by NJD. With the exception of Tampa Bay, all the teams between them and WC2 have games in hand. NJD has 2 games in hand and currently hold the tie breaker. 

On the balance of probabilities, Buffalo probably doesn't seriously threaten a wild card position so Tuch probably could be on the market and would then have multiple suitors beside just the Canucks. However, Big Zeke had a number of teams pursuing him yet the Flames traded within their division at the end - price paid, circumstances surrounding transaction will dictate at the end of the day where anyone goes. 

Tuch certainly seems to be the type of player Tocchet and the rest of the Canucks organization would covet. 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Tochett going to the Lotto line needs some props too.   Shows he's willing to shake it up, and yet again, this team follows up a loss with a win.    It's also something he can plan for again depending on the opponent.    Or during games when we are behind and need a goal.   Ideally EP has his own line, but he's working with what we have.    Until Kuzmenko figures his stuff out, and can be a reliable addition to the top six or we bring in another guy ... this is what we have.    HKSR might be right about EP, as making him a winger instead.    Would need a solid C (like Miller), to really shine though.  

Yeah I definitely agree on Tocchet getting some props. You know I've seen a number of comments regarding how he's unable to adapt and nonsense like that. It's usually from those folks who weirdly decided to not like him right off off the bat for really flimsy reasons they can't seem to put into words. 

Really we've seen tones of adaptation on that front. From starting Garland on the first line, then stapling him to the fourth, and finally putting the third line together. He also worked Aman into the fold after he started in the AHL. He now looks like a regular to stay up for sure. He also put Hughes and Hronek together, played McWard and Hirose, also placed Myers in a position to succeed, and had success with Friedman, Soucy, Cole, and now Zadorov, in whichever configuration he has gone with. He always seemed to pick the right partner for Cole, which has been huge to our success.

Not only that we've now seen the lotto line, Suter bumped up to the second line, Kuz as a scratch, and Karlsson getting a couple games, plus even Lafferty playing some huge games on the first line. All of this while winning hockey games and keeping us top 5 in the league. I'd say those comments are way off base. You don't just go and randomize the lines every time you face a tiny bit of adversity and call that good coaching. A good coach knows to keep working at the process and not panic.

Also I totally agree on moving Petterson to the wing at times, especially if we can pick up a heavier center that can pot some goals too.

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Both players are still onside though.

Has the puck crossed the line in that photo?

It was on side. 

That's why coaches didn't challenge it. 

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

tbh had it been the other way around, we would have screamed murder....lucky non call I'd say... especially being in their barn.

If calling both or neither is more or less the same thing then I think most refs prefer no call if possible.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We criticize the refs a lot but that was a great non call.

If anything was gonna be called there it should have been embellishment. Embarrassing bit of flopping there.

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

tbh had it been the other way around, we would have screamed murder....lucky non call I'd say... especially being in their barn.

That's the utterly hilarious thing on this site. No critical thinking and acceptance when it comes to plays like this. I mean he definitely got tripped up right in front of his own net if you watch the play. Could have easily and probably should have been called a penalty but game management came into play and they opted not to give Jersey the two man advantage. I agree with the non call as it was fairly unintentional, but I don't think any impartial fan could argue if it was called either. It was a blatant trip from an errant stick.

Did he embellish, maybe a bit but really he just went where the foul took him. There is no rule that says you have to fight to stay on your feet when you get tripped.

• Like 2

You have no idea how satisfying it was to listen to this game at work. I seemed to tune in for the goals. 

You can't fault the canucks for making it close. They were managing their energy for the road trip. The devil's came back. Canucks needed to shut them down with a goal and they did that 

• Like 4