PGT - Vancouver at New Jersey - 01/06/24

PhillipBlunt

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don't think the Lotto line is a the long term solution. The question becomes how long can Garland-Joshua-Bluegar continue producing at the rate they are. It certainly worked last night as the Canucks absolutely dominated the NJD. The score flattered NJ. Other than the somewhat ill advised pinch by Meyers the d-core looked good especially with Soucy returning. O-zone chances by the Canucks were off the charts. 

I like that RT played Kuz down the lineup. As you mentioned earlier it might allow easier competition for Kuz and a possible rebuild of his game. IMHO the Canucks have to have another soring winger for playoffs.  

When you have a hot streak that lasted a month and have chemistry to go with it, it is sustainable.  You can have a hot streak and lacked chemistry, it will fade away into obscurity.   You can clearly see that they have the chemistry when they know where they are at all times, we do have a 2nd line, depending on how other teams look at them in term of match-up.  It will allow the Kuz to have an easier match-up and score a timely goal down the road.  I think that Kuzzy is having a hard time playing a harder match-up.  It will help him a lot for sure.

I honestly think that we do not need to make a trade for a top winger if two lines are working extremely well and we have our D set up for success.  Let's wait until LA and Vegas match-up before the trade deadline to see where we are.  If we are having a trouble with them then we can consider that trade later to relieve the pressure in the playoffs and one extra goal will be the difference in a playoff series.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Every player in Vancouver Canucks history to average at least one point per game for their entire career:

Pavel Bure - 428 games 478 points - 1.117 PPG

JT Miller - 322 games 352 points - 1.093 PPG

Elias Pettersson - 364 games 371 points - 1.019 PPG

Whew ... good thing we didn't trade Miller and Petey! 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Canuck You said:

Not that it matters now but I was watching the highlights and the 3rd jersey goal was offside, Kinda surprised no coaches challenge.

58 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Screenshot_20240107-133905.png

Yeah, that's not offside.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Not only that, people have to recognize that teams behind in the 3rd, especially by multiple goals, will come at you hard and we should also give credit when/where it's due. It's not JUST about what this team did/didn't....the other team comes into play. The Devils, in their building, wanted to get back into the game (and did).

It's not easy to keep large scoring gaps throughout games, they tend to go back/forth a bit. 

Some are SO critical of this team that they're focused on finding things to bitch about and it becomes tunnel vision. We were having slow/lousy starts and they've addressed that and come out in the first to grab huge leads....but it's a difficult pace to maintain throughout 60 minutes. To just blow through teams. It's a bit unreasonable to demand that.

Every team looks at our record in the 3rd period and knows that they have to push as hard as possible. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t remember a player of ours embellishing that badly this season.

Refs should never make calls based on fan reactions though and thankfully they didn’t.

The crowd were screaming for a penalty and were very hard on ref in last 3 minutes is a distraction for everybody involved and credit to the Canucks, they were focused on their role.  I'm sure that the Devils were distracted by the crowd as well, for sure and weren't that sharp in their play but they almost tied it up.   It is a clear dive but the crowd was baited to that dive.  No way that he is tripped with the air-time like that, it's not physic possible.  If he is truly tripped, he would be down on the ice unexpectedly without that airtime flying.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'd run with Demko on NYR, DeSmith NYI

I'd consider it the other way as I think the team may rally around DeSmith getting the start but your way would also keep Demko fresher for the remainder of the trip.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I'd consider it the other way as I think the team may rally around DeSmith getting the start but your way would also keep Demko fresher for the remainder of the trip.

I would go with Demko for Rangers and DeSmith for Islanders game for one following reason, we want our very best against the top team in the NHL, Islanders are not but is respectable.  We do not want to disrespect them by icing our back-up if the game will affect us down the road, in term of SCF in home-ice advantage scenarios.  We are not taking this season for granted considering how last season have gone for them. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well Drance would tell you it's really the 40-9-6 line. 🤣

What a freaking goof! :picard:

Drance is a fisher. Petey plays centre even though Miller takes some draws. He knows this but chooses to fish our fan base. 

4 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I would go with Demko for Rangers and DeSmith for Islanders game for one following reason, we want our very best against the top team in the NHL, Islanders are not but is respectable.  We do not want to disrespect them by icing our back-up if the game will affect us down the road, in term of SCF in home-ice advantage scenarios.  We are not taking this season for granted considering how last season have gone for them. 

I suppose one could argue if you're just trying to get points on the road trip perhaps you dress your starter against the Isles and take your chances with the Rangers. I agree though in this situation you want to match your best against the best in a marquee matchup like this.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Drance is a fisher. Petey plays centre even though Miller takes some draws. He knows this but chooses to fish our fan base. 

I don't really care who plays where as long as it works. Didn't Petey play wing the entire game though?

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not opposed to that but in this case I think you need go best on best, #1 guy vs. #1 guy rather than hoping the team rallies around DeSmith. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dom said:

Apparently we injured 4 Devils last night. 

Siegenthaler broken foot

Lazar lower body

Miller upper body

Daws hip

LOL, if true then reminds me of the game against Arizona a while ago where Martin Hanzal single-handedly knocked 3 Canucks out of the same game, including Daniel  Henrik Sedin if memory serves me correctly. Wasn't a playoff game, just a regular season game. Hanzal was a beast when he wanted to play like one. At least one of those plays should have resulted in a penalty and perhaps a game misconduct.

This game

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm not opposed to that but in this case I think you need go best on best, #1 guy vs. #1 guy rather than hoping the team rallies around DeSmith. 

I guess that theory goes hand in hand with RT's meet pressure with pressure staple.

• Cheers 1

Happy with the game

Canucks played well most of the game. They played with pace and energy.

I was watching Kuz closely and thought he had a really good game

It just seemed like we controlled the game and outchanced them by a lot but we would have a breakdown in coverage and then the puck would be in the back of our net.

Myers overplayed the 3 on 2 when we had backpressure on the trailer.  He just needed to stay in his lane but crossed the middle of the ice. (Thought Demko could have had it though)

and then 2 goals where we overplayed/overloaded and let the cross seam pass to the far point man and gave them a big lane.

Weird that pros still make these mistakes where 2 guys go after the same guy from a similar angle and leave a wide open lane for a pass to go to an uncovered guy.

Other than that, I thought we controlled the play and naturally let our foot off the peddle (prob trying to shut it down and conserve energy on this road trip.)

Also... lock Joshua up!

The sample size is big enough where this isnt a  blip.

Whatever coaching that staff told him and his conditioning has obviously worked. He is a solid player.  He's like a Tyler Motte with more size so he can hit harder, protect the puck and skate just as fast without getting injured. I didnt realize he had such decent hands.  Its actually really good. Like probably better than Mikheyev.

After the main pieces like Petey, Hronek and Zadorov, Joshua needs to be signed.

I predict another really solid effort against NYR.

I am excited about this road trip

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I suppose one could argue if you're just trying to get points on the road trip perhaps you dress your starter against the Isles and take your chances with the Rangers. I agree though in this situation you want to match your best against the best in a marquee matchup like this.

I don't really care who plays where as long as it works. Didn't Petey play wing the entire game though?

After the draw Petey played the role of centre. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Happy with the game

Canucks played well most of the game. They played with pace and energy.

I was watching Kuz closely and thought he had a really good game

It just seemed like we controlled the game and outchanced them by a lot but we would have a breakdown in coverage and then the puck would be in the back of our net.

Myers overplayed the 3 on 2 when we had backpressure on the trailer.  He just needed to stay in his lane but crossed the middle of the ice. (Thought Demko could have had it though)

and then 2 goals where we overplayed/overloaded and let the cross seam pass to the far point man and gave them a big lane.

Weird that pros still make these mistakes where 2 guys go after the same guy from a similar angle and leave a wide open lane for a pass to go to an uncovered guy.

Other than that, I thought we controlled the play and naturally let our foot off the peddle (prob trying to shut it down and conserve energy on this road trip.)

Also... lock Joshua up!

The sample size is big enough where this isnt a  blip.

Whatever coaching that staff told him and his conditioning has obviously worked. He is a solid player.  He's like a Tyler Motte with more size so he can hit harder, protect the puck and skate just as fast without getting injured. I didnt realize he had such decent hands.  Its actually really good. Like probably better than Mikheyev.

After the main pieces like Petey, Hronek and Zadorov, Joshua needs to be signed.

I predict another really solid effort against NYR.

I am excited about this road trip

Yeah I was surprised by that blown coverage too. Both Canucks followed the Devil to the boards leaving the slot wide open.

Joshua good. Grunt grunt.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's the utterly hilarious thing on this site. No critical thinking and acceptance when it comes to plays like this. I mean he definitely got tripped up right in front of his own net if you watch the play. Could have easily and probably should have been called a penalty but game management came into play and they opted not to give Jersey the two man advantage. I agree with the non call as it was fairly unintentional, but I don't think any impartial fan could argue if it was called either. It was a blatant trip from an errant stick.

Did he embellish, maybe a bit but really he just went where the foul took him. There is no rule that says you have to fight to stay on your feet when you get tripped.

There is literally an embellishment rule.

The ref 100% didn’t call it because of his dramatic twirl. I agree it was absolutely a trip. He didn’t get the call because he embellished. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1