PGT - Vancouver at New Jersey - 01/06/24

PhillipBlunt

3 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

In my humble opinion, if we only drafted Matthew Tkachuk instead of OJ is the same argument or statement. Drafting MT could have led to not having Petey and/or Huggy. We didn't have Tocchet / Foote / Gonchar / etc. at the beginning of last year so anything I say (or anyone else) would be pure speculation. BUT, having Tic-Toc, Gonch and Footy would absolutely have elevated their game, however they weren't there and we have (thankfully in my ever so humble opinion) moved on to a bigger, better D.

Very kind my good man. 
You are so absolutely right that we have moved on, and anything else is speculation. 

We have and rightfully so moved in to a heavier and harder D, that also can play, as this has been a revelation.
This was something the vast majority of fans had been crying out for in years. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

I'll never understand why they let Burroughs walk.  He was a solid #6 D.   Lead the team in hits, after Schenn.  And now is doing the same in San Jose. And he hit mostly to remove the player from the puck efficiently. He was great with the first pass out of the zone. And in keeping the puck in the O zone at the point. He wasn't a "star" player, but he did his job very well.

I don't get how a multi year deal, which the Canucks were unwilling to do, was not considered at all.  Yes it locks down that cap hit for three years, as the Sharks signed him for 1.1 x 3 .   That means the Canucks probably could have signed him for a cool million per year x 3.  The upside is that you have that particular position taken care of for three years, and on the cheap. No need to scramble to fill that position a year later. (Cole is only signed one year).

Kyle was already starting to get acclimatized to Tocchet's system.  He was trusted to be Schenn's stand in partner with Hughes after Schenn was gone after the TD.  I was certain he'd earned a spot on Tocchets team and was shocked that the Canucks excuse was that he wanted a multi year deal.  To me, that was a plus, not a minus.  1.1 x 3  for a good hardworking physical and committed RHD is a figure a GM should not be frightened of.

Makes a lot of sense... 

yes not sure, if they thought Brisebois was a better depth LD at the time. Him being out long term changed the dynamics some what. 
But yes I also like Burroughs and in particular his willingness to stand up for his team mates. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Makes a lot of sense... 

yes not sure, if they thought Brisebois was a better depth LD at the time. Him being out long term changed the dynamics some what. 
But yes I also like Burroughs and in particular his willingness to stand up for his team mates. 

Yeah we miss that pugilism. I'm hoping we can upgrade on Aman on the 4th for a tough hard hitting forward. Someone to help protect our stars. I was hoping PDG was that but he's not. 

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

Lol even Alf?

Alf may be unhinged.

Delusional even.

And a closet Leaf fan.

But you don't have to go that far.

I get ticked with some posters on here. But let's keep it civil.

Calling him a Leaf fan probably hurts him more.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It will be nice once Zadorov gets back. It’s too bad he was injured for this game. Hopefully he isn’t out too long.

Why? Juulsen was great. He has gained the confidence of Tocchet and Foote to the point that he was on the ice with Cole for the 6 on 4 at the end of Joshua's penalty. Zadorov has been okay, but the larger the sample size we see, the more he looks like what the Calgary fans told us we were getting, a bottom pairing or #7 guy. I think Juulsen has been better of late and continues to improve his decision making and pace of play, and more importantly, he's the one that the team will be able to fit under the cap after signing EP and FH, and maybe acquiring a winger to play with Petey. Juulsen looks more and more like the player he was projected to be in his draft year, and I think he'll be a fixture in the bottom pairing, or higher until our top prospects like Willander an D-Petey are ready for the big club.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Why? Juulsen was great. He has gained the confidence of Tocchet and Foote to the point that he was on the ice with Cole for the 6 on 4 at the end of Joshua's penalty. Zadorov has been okay, but the larger the sample size we see, the more he looks like what the Calgary fans told us we were getting, a bottom pairing or #7 guy. I think Juulsen has been better of late and continues to improve his decision making and pace of play, and more importantly, he's the one that the team will be able to fit under the cap after signing EP and FH, and maybe acquiring a winger to play with Petey. Juulsen looks more and more like the player he was projected to be in his draft year, and I think he'll be a fixture in the bottom pairing, or higher until our top prospects like Willander an D-Petey are ready for the big club.

Juulsson is our Myers replacement (and upgrade) for a fraction of the cost. Allvin again massively improving of Benning. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah we miss that pugilism. I'm hoping we can upgrade on Aman on the 4th for a tough hard hitting forward. Someone to help protect our stars. I was hoping PDG was that but he's not. 

The team's not going to be able to afford to improve on Aman. Don't forget, he's in just his second year of professional North American hockey, so he will continue to improve. Right now he has his size and skating ability working for him. As he gets more comfortable with the system he will be better. As he gains some size and strength he will be better on the wall and in the dirty areas. He's not ideal, but as a 4C he's fine, and getting better.

49 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

There's no way they would trade Brady but if it was ever a possibility I'd make a huge offer. Basically our best assets aside from Willander. It'll never happen though.

Maybe when Ottawa is ready to Tank for Celebrini.... we could help them out then

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

LA lost their game 🙂

PLD - 0 goals 0 assists -2

Terrible value at 8.5M x 8yrs

He has 7 goals 9 assists in 36 games. PLD is also -7 on the season.

Meanwhile on a power forward play driver comparison, our JT last night got 2 goals, 1 assist and was +5.

So far JT has 18 goals 35 assist in 39 games (+18 on the season)

Great value at 8M per for 7 years!

This is how Calgary was hoping the Tkachuk trade would work out for them. To an extent. Trade one guy for 2 good pieces and end up having a deeper overall team. Instead Huberdeau forgot how to play hockey. Weegar is pretty good though all things considered. But yeah. Winnipeg dumped a meh dude for 2 really solid pieces, one of which is young and has upside and they are currently one of the best teams in the league because of it. Winnipeg deserves more credit for that trade.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

LA lost their game 🙂

PLD - 0 goals 0 assists -2

Terrible value at 8.5M x 8yrs

He has 7 goals 9 assists in 36 games. PLD is also -7 on the season.

Meanwhile on a power forward play driver comparison, our JT last night got 2 goals, 1 assist and was +5.

So far JT has 18 goals 35 assist in 39 games (+18 on the season)

Great value at 8M per for 7 years!

Kings made a huge mistake, just like the islanders did with Horfat Wallet, giving up so much for a “me me” player.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

I'll never understand why they let Burroughs walk.  He was a solid #6 D.   Lead the team in hits, after Schenn.  And now is doing the same in San Jose. And he hit mostly to remove the player from the puck efficiently. He was great with the first pass out of the zone. And in keeping the puck in the O zone at the point. He wasn't a "star" player, but he did his job very well.

I don't get how a multi year deal, which the Canucks were unwilling to do, was not considered at all.  Yes it locks down that cap hit for three years, as the Sharks signed him for 1.1 x 3 .   That means the Canucks probably could have signed him for a cool million per year x 3.  The upside is that you have that particular position taken care of for three years, and on the cheap. No need to scramble to fill that position a year later. (Cole is only signed one year).

Kyle was already starting to get acclimatized to Tocchet's system.  He was trusted to be Schenn's stand in partner with Hughes after Schenn was gone after the TD.  I was certain he'd earned a spot on Tocchets team and was shocked that the Canucks excuse was that he wanted a multi year deal.  To me, that was a plus, not a minus.  1.1 x 3  for a good hardworking physical and committed RHD is a figure a GM should not be frightened of.

I think they rightfully had their sights higher, and it sure looks like they've succeeded so far. Plus they have drafted a number of defenceman and gotten a few college and European contracts. Maybe they just felt if they were going to just waive him again maybe he deserved to get a more solid contract somewhere else for his future. 

45 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Makes a lot of sense... 

Yeah, they did have our homegrown talent in Brisbois as well who looked solid as well last year. I actually really like the fact our management hasn't just signed payers because they're not bad and we can get them for a fair price. Ultimately they can clog up the system. At least he's playing in SJ. Here he'd be in the pressbox or AHL most of the time except for injury. I doubt he's at 36 games in Vancouver. More like 4.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Already in the Big Apple, ehe

I wonder if the Ringers are going to gum the refs whistles before the game, like they did in the last game, to get the calls going their way again. 

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Rumour has it Alf is a closet Matthews fanboy. I think that TSN feature about him wearing a new jacket won Alf over. 

He has a life size portrait of Nylander and Matthews doing the double flamingo on the ceiling over his four post bed. Of course it's studded with diamonds and close by is his Montreal Canadiens alarm clock and NY Rangers toothbrush. 😂

• Haha 4

Juulson is interesting,he’s been solid,improving under this coaching staff can’t waive him so he stays imo at least as a healthy scratch his capability and cap hit are to good to give up i believe

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wonder if the Ringers are going to gum the refs whistles before the game, like they did in the last game, to get the calls going their way again. 

I hope we suck and the Rangers have no idea how good we actually are till we beat them in 4 strait

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Bobby Lou said:

Thing is if he holds up for the first 5 yrs of the deal its a steal... I have no doubt he will, at which point the cap will rise and make it negligible... We lucked out getting him for a 1st.  I remember people complaining at the time too.

I've always liked the deal and was happy if we kept 1 of Horvat or JT it was JT. He's been a point per game player since his first season here. When he was paid I think a bargain bin rate of 5.5? 

Its one of the many reasons Alvin and JR make the deals and not us fans. Absolute steal regardless of him about to be on the wrong side of 30 (barely turned 30 last March)

If we had 3 more #9s we'd be bringing a cup home.

Yeah 5 year $5.25 mil and we had him for four of those. Great deal.

44 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The Chrysler Building is one of my favourite skyscrapers.

Yeah me too. It's on my bucket list to go down there. I always wanted to take like $25,000 and go rent a place for a month. Now I'd probably need a $100,000. lol. It might just remain a dream ... we'll see.

• Cheers 1