[Re-signing] TOR extends William Nylander 8 years, $11.5M AAV (full NMC)

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Those guys are on Robidas Island.  Muzzin hasn't played in almost two years.  His playing days are over.  Klingberg just had major hip surgery.  His playing days in Toronto are definitely over.  Murray... is rumoured to be recovering from his own hip surgery.  Judging by the Leafs' current goaltending situation, it seems they're seriously considering playing Murray as soon as he's ready.  They can't afford to gamble the entire second half of the season.

Oct. 9, 2023

Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs Matt Murray's hip injury status has been updated. The expected duration is 6 months.

Dec. 6, 2023

Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs John Klingberg's hip injury status has been updated. The expected duration is 6 months.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

He is this year, not for his career. 

It's too much for a winger.

While I do value C of W, it's not a huge difference, especially when he's the one player out of the big 3 who has shown up when it matters.  Position only matters on faceoffs and the d-zone (to a degree).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

While I do value C of W, it's not a huge difference, especially when he's the one player out of the big 3 who has shown up when it matters.  Position only matters on faceoffs and the d-zone (to a degree).

But isn't that more of a comment on Tavares and Marner?

Dunno, just seems way too much to me. I'd want TO to trade him for a young stud defender.

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

Oct. 9, 2023

Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs Matt Murray's hip injury status has been updated. The expected duration is 6 months.

Dec. 6, 2023

Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs John Klingberg's hip injury status has been updated. The expected duration is 6 months.

Did you watch any of the Leafs games this year?  Klingberg was an absolute disaster.  Despite being arguably the worst defender in the league, his numbers actually got worse during the 14 games he played.  Do you really think he (or Samsonov in the minors) can make any kind of positive impact for Toronto in the playoffs?  They're only even considering using Murray right now because they're desperate.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

Greediest core ever

Disagree. Players are looking out for themselves as they should be. People should know we got incredibly lucky with the Twins - those two were absolute saints.

Leafs management are the only ones to blame. Management manages teams, not players.

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Dunno, just seems way too much to me. I'd want TO to trade him for a young stud defender.

Honestly, I'd deal Marner before I dealt Nylander.  To me, WN is the best overall player on their team.

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Disagree. Players are looking out for themselves as they should be. People should know we got incredibly lucky with the Twins - those two were absolute saints.

Leafs management are the only ones to blame. Management manages teams, not players.

People forget, players have an obligation to their union and to other players to maximize their earnings so that other players can maximize theirs.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Did you watch any of the Leafs games this year?  Klingberg was an absolute disaster.  Despite being arguably the worst defender in the league, his numbers actually got worse during the 14 games he played.  Do you really think he (or Samsonov in the minors) can make any kind of positive impact for Toronto in the playoffs?  They're only even considering using Murray right now because they're desperate.

Na, only when Canucks play them. But I know bad hips are more fixable now, and you got two guys who obviously were playing hurt but the hip replacement is almost instant now (recent family history) and it seems like Toronto figured out a way to circumvent the Cap for this year but obviously they are way over next year.

SO it seems like they are all in.... will be some great guys available come july when they have to eat some contracts.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

A young stud defender?  Who's available and willing to trade for a forward in his prime?  Has to be a cup contender willing to risk overpaying for a 5-month rental.  K'Andre Miller or Braden Schneider?  Oh god - you're not thinking... Quinn Hughes, are you??

Either way, it'd make zero sense for Toronto to trade away Nylander.  That would literally crater their chances of making the playoffs this year.  He has put the team on his back.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

That's fair. Actually might get a better player back for Mitch.

I really like Marner, but I don't think any player on that team has worked harder on his game than Nylander.  He went from a one dimensional perceived primadonna to, arguably, the most important player on that club.  Not only would I keep him, he'd be my next captain

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Honestly, I'd deal Marner before I dealt Nylander.  To me, WN is the best overall player on their team.

This may actually be the plan. Of their stars, besides AM, Marner is the most tradeable contract. NMC may be an issue though. 

Just now, stawns said:

People forget, players have an obligation to their union and to other players to maximize their earnings so that other players can maximize theirs.  

Absolutely.

It's not Nylander's fault that the Leafs decided to tie themselves down with the core four. Why should he feel obligated to bite the bullet on behalf of the team when the others haven't?

Leafs have the complete freedom to walk away from players that are too rich for their cap structure.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, 27 Percent said:

Nylander usually out produces Pettersson and Petterssons defense is marginally better than nylanders D play. 

In what world is any of this true? 

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Fingers crossed Allvin can point to Toronto's poor playoff performance and persuade him to sign something reasonable, since he has always said it's about seeing where the team is at. Well, the team is crushing it this year, so if Petey truly wants to win, he must be pragmatic about his contract. 

I think a better strategy is to claim overpayment thanks to Toronto media hype. I doubt either method gets Petey signed for under 12 now though…. Thanks centre of the universe. 

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

Greedy?  He's a top 10 player in the world, why shouldn't he get paid like it?

Come again? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Greedy?  He's a top 10 player in the world, why shouldn't he get paid like it?

Top ten winger, maybe. Top ten player? No. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I think Edmonton might be an example of a team where a player has a hand in managing the team, seeing as how the captain's former agent, Jeff Jackson, is the CEO of hockey operations

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

Na, only when Canucks play them. But I know bad hips are more fixable now, and you got two guys who obviously were playing hurt but the hip replacement is almost instant now (recent family history) and it seems like Toronto figured out a way to circumvent the Cap for this year but obviously they are way over next year.

SO it seems like they are all in.... will be some great guys available come july when they have to eat some contracts.

What are you talking about?  Muzzin, Murray and Klingberg all have expiring deals.  All that money is off the books in July.

Muzzin is straight up done.  His playing career is over.  Murray and Klingberg were so bad, apparently due to bad hips.  We've already covered the current goalie situation, but if you honestly think Klingberg is going to return in May and actually make a positive impact, you really haven't been paying attention.  He has been hot garbage for several years now.  He is a complete liability on the ice, and he's going to be coming off major surgery.  This is not a Kucherov/Stone/Landeskog situation.  Can't be further from the truth.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, sassbs said:

also fun fact, last time leafs won a cup television was still in black n white 

Almost correct. CBC began broadcasting hockey in colour in September 1966. The Leafs last won the cup in May 1967. But you are right in that most of us still had black and white TVs. Fun fact: Even today, in some arenas the centre red line is broken, with alternating squares of red and white. This is a throwback to the days of black and white TV when the cameras needed some way to show the difference between the red line and the blue lines, which both showed as black on TV.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

How is Toronto going to fit this under the cap?

Fun fact: Toronto in it's history has NEVER won more than 2 rounds in the playoffs.

In 1967 the last of the original 6. Only four teams of the six get in the playoffs. Winning 8 games won you the Stanley Cup.

So despite 13 cup wins. They have never won more than 2 rounds.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How is Toronto going to fit this under the cap?

Fun fact: Toronto in it's history has NEVER won more than 2 rounds in the playoffs.

In 1967 the last of the original 6. Only four teams of the six get in the playoffs. Winning 8 games won you the Stanley Cup.

So despite 13 cup wins. They have never won more than 2 rounds.

For the millionth time....

They have $25M of salary coming off the books this upcoming summer (if you include the LTIR players).  Of course they're going to have tighten the belt elsewhere but they can absolutely make it work.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

There were some years in the early 60's when the playoffs were over by the third week in April. Hockey stuff got put away and everybody moved on to baseball.

• Like 1

Gotta think the Leafs may move on from Tavares when his deal is up if he can't be brought back at a much smaller cap hit

Nylander, Matthews, and Marner will likely cannibalize Tavares's cap

One more season left on his deal, he'll be 34 in September and 35 before the first season of any new deal

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

I think the Canucks dodged a bullet with Nylander. He seems greedy. 

Matthews - $13,250,000 NMC

Nylander - $11,500,000 NTC?

Tavares - $11,000,000 NMC

Marner - $10,903,000 NMC

Yikes, and no goaltending.  WTF is Toronto doing? 

How can he be the Greedy one when he was basically taking a pay cut in comparison the monster contracts the others in the core 4 had? \

It's still a big number but I guess Tavares' contract expiring helps their cap issues but it's also likely The Leafs need to convince Tavares to waive his NMC next season.