[Re-signing] TOR extends William Nylander 8 years, $11.5M AAV (full NMC)

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Toronto isn't interested in winning the Stanley Cup.  They have proven this over the last 53 years.  Their end goal each year is simply to make the playoffs and give their fans some hope.  They don't know how to build an actual roster to win it all.

So, their team is fine as you can ride those 5 guys into the playoffs each and every year.  Once they get in and find out they don't have a goalie or defencemen that play defence then they are hooped.

Allvin is obviously taking a different approach.  He is trying to build a Stanley Cup champion.  He will re-sign Petey that is for sure.  However, I can see Brock getting traded if he wants more than $7 million.  Allvin already traded BO after he felt his demands were too high, so the same thing will happen with Brock.  Even signing Hronek isn't a sure bet if he comes in asking like $9 million.  Hronek has to also be in the $7 million range IMO...

Hard to put a finger on Hronek. I'd say somewhere in the low 7s max. Hampus Lindholm's AAV is 6.5.  

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

That’s why I said a 3 year make sense for him 4-5 0 sense as it’s massive risk age wise. Not many players have gotten a 10+ mil a year contract at the age of 30+ long or short term only one so far is like huberdeau and im sure the flame regretted. 

I also think ep is waiting to see what the team does with kuzmenko or basically what they do for him in terms of wingers. They are not letting kuzmenko play the way he can. Mikheyev is not a legit top 6 in this league.. he’s better suited as a 3rd liner that can play in the top 6 occasionally. I don’t think he wants to continue playing with teammates that drag him down. Yes he’s expected to elevate his teammates.. but I think they are asking too much when he needs to elevate 2 winger and 2 defenceman offensively.. all the top players in the league have a sidekick whether it’s forward or defenceman. Ep is one of the rare few that doesn’t have one 

I think they will keep the Lotto Line together.  Doesn't make sense to split it up at this point.  McDavid plays with Hyman and RNH.  MacKinnon plays with Rantanen.  You can't expect Petey to play with Lafferty and Mikheyev and expect him to score 100 points and be happy.  That's probably why he hasn't been signed yet.  He knows his career will go down the toilet if the Canucks keep playing him with 4th line plugs.

Play Petey with Miller and Boeser and trade for a 2C.  I think that is the only way this works IMO.  When Lekkerimaki comes in then you can move Mikheyev to the 3rd line.  We might even need to trade Boeser if he wants $8-9 million.  But I think Petey and Miller need to be a thing and play on the same line.

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think they will keep the Lotto Line together.  Doesn't make sense to split it up at this point.  McDavid plays with Hyman and RNH.  MacKinnon plays with Rantanen.  You can't expect Petey to play with Lafferty and Mikheyev and expect him to score 100 points and be happy.  That's probably why he hasn't been signed yet.  He knows his career will go down the toilet if the Canucks keep playing him with 4th line plugs.

Play Petey with Miller and Boeser and trade for a 2C.  I think that is the only way this works IMO.  When Lekkerimaki comes in then you can move Mikheyev to the 3rd line.  We might even need to trade Boeser if he wants $8-9 million.  But I think Petey and Miller need to be a thing and play on the same line.

I mean the lotto line only worked that 1 year and then it was pretty average the next and horrible the year after. I still don’t think it’ll work long term. Too much puck driver/carrier on the same line not enough puck to go around. Miller EP Hughes all 3 likes to carry the puck 

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't really mind it. TO will continue to bleed out solid bottom 6 players that they can't afford to resign. Keep poaching. 

Oh ya, keep on keeping on Toronto. It's working well for you.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Toronto isn't interested in winning the Stanley Cup.  They have proven this over the last 53 years.  Their end goal each year is simply to make the playoffs and give their fans some hope.  They don't know how to build an actual roster to win it all.

So, their team is fine as you can ride those 5 guys into the playoffs each and every year.  Once they get in and find out they don't have a goalie or defencemen that play defence then they are hooped.

Allvin is obviously taking a different approach.  He is trying to build a Stanley Cup champion.  He will re-sign Petey that is for sure.  However, I can see Brock getting traded if he wants more than $7 million.  Allvin already traded BO after he felt his demands were too high, so the same thing will happen with Brock.  Even signing Hronek isn't a sure bet if he comes in asking like $9 million.  Hronek has to also be in the $7 million range IMO...

If we let Hronek walk, we better win the cup this year.  The Horvat trade essentially becomes nullified.  Horvat wanted more money because he was playing out of his mind, but the Canucks were already committed to J.T. Miller.  No opinion - right or wrong, that's just what happened.

I said this earlier and I'll say it again - the success/failure of Toronto in the postseason rests heavily on those five guys.  If any of them doesn't show up in a full seven game series, it severely hurts their chances of advancing.  They cannot afford to have a single star struggle.  It's an extreme risk to take, but I also think it's not unreasonable to expect Matthews/Marner to be your best players.

1 hour ago, CanuckFanForever said:

The Signing is a great one with the Cap going u

A great one? Full-max monies, max 8 year term, full NTC. All for a one dimensional winger with one 100 point season under his belt. Winger!? How is that a great deal? It's a deal, not a team friendly deal and absolutely no home town discount, especially considering Nylander got the extra year he wouldn't of in free agency. The extra year should of knocked the AAV down to at least 10.5.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

If any of them doesn't show up in a full seven game series, it severely hurts their chances of advancing

They've had several attempts to all show up. Haven't even come close. But ya, they just keep hoping. Definition of insanity.

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

If we let Hronek walk, we better win the cup this year.  The Horvat trade essentially becomes nullified.  Horvat wanted more money because he was playing out of his mind, but the Canucks were already committed to J.T. Miller.  No opinion - right or wrong, that's just what happened.

I said this earlier and I'll say it again - the success/failure of Toronto in the postseason rests heavily on those five guys.  If any of them doesn't show up in a full seven game series, it severely hurts their chances of advancing.  They cannot afford to have a single star struggle.  It's an extreme risk to take, but I also think it's not unreasonable to expect Matthews/Marner to be your best players.

Hronek won't walk.  He will get traded just like BO if he wants crazy money.  Same with Brock.  I trust our management to get maximum value for both players if they need to be traded.

When JR won the cup with Pittsburgh in 2016 he had Letang and then a bunch of 5-6 guys that knew how to play defence.  In 2017, Letang was injured so Shultz was the guy and again they had a bunch of 5-6 Dmen.  Allvin is building our defence the same way.  Fun fact, Ian Cole was on both those teams.

It's not ideal to trade Hronek, but if we can move him for other assets, then we should be fine.  Especially if Willander can come in and take his spot.  I think we end up keeping Hronek and he signs in the $7 million range....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rekker said:

Mostly just not a fan of eight years contracts, too long and unpredictable. Should be six max by the team holding your rights, five year max otherwise. Maybe a one per club exemption. 

You know, I'd be totally fine with a 4 or 5 year deal for Petey. 6 would be optimal, while 3 would be the lowest I would go. 

1 and 2 year deals are unacceptable. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wasn't there a missing person's report issued out for Auston Matthews in the second round last year against Florida?

Close.  It was an Amber Alert.

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek won't walk.  He will get traded just like BO if he wants crazy money.  Same with Brock.  I trust our management to get maximum value for both players if they need to be traded.

When JR won the cup with Pittsburgh in 2016 he had Letang and then a bunch of 5-6 guys that knew how to play defence.  In 2017, Letang was injured so Shultz was the guy and again they had a bunch of 5-6 Dmen.  Allvin is building our defence the same way.  Fun fact, Ian Cole was on both those teams.

It's not ideal to trade Hronek, but if we can move him for other assets, then we should be fine.  Especially if Willander can come in and take his spot.  I think we end up keeping Hronek and he signs in the $7 million range....

Damn, didn't realize that Ian Cole won a cup with Pens too. How many cups does he have? 

I'm also not worried about either one of the big two RFAs walking. People are going way overboard with worrying. They're RFAs, not UFAs. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Hard to put a finger on Hronek. I'd say somewhere in the low 7s max. Hampus Lindholm's AAV is 6.5.  

Yeah and Toews caps him off at 7.25. 

Hronek should sign for 7 and call it a day. I don't even care if he doesn't go 8 years. As I was saying earlier, I have no issues with signing guys to 4-5 year deals instead of 8. 

1 minute ago, AatuD2 said:

Damn, didn't realize that Ian Cole won a cup with Pens too. How many cups does he have? 

I'm also not worried about either one of the big two RFAs walking. People are going way overboard with worrying. They're RFAs, not UFAs. 

He won those two cups with Pittsburgh.  He missed out with Colorado and Tampa...

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, Hronek is settling into that range.  He started off the season in that $8M range, but I see him between Lindholm and Dunn.  So right in that $7M ballpark which we can totally afford.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Two things behind a Hronek trade scenario.  We have two months before the trade deadline.  After that, his trade value drops right off.  We might be able to get something back in a June trade or a sign-and-trade deal, but that really doesn't give us a lot of time to figure things out.  Most likely, there will be no negotiations of any kind until the end of the season.  So if Hronek wants a lot, there's only two real options - settle or let him go for (almost) nothing.

If for some reason we do trade Hronek at the deadline, there's almost no way that makes the team better this year.  Maybe we flip him for a forward (ie. your wonderboy Jake Guentzel) and make a second trade to acquire... Tanev and throw him with Hughes, but the chemistry of Hughes-Hronek is unbelievable.  We shouldn't be messing around with that.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Two things behind a Hronek trade scenario.  We have two months before the trade deadline.  After that, his trade value drops right off.  We might be able to get something back in a June trade or a sign-and-trade deal, but that really doesn't give us a lot of time to figure things out.  Most likely, there will be no negotiations of any kind until the end of the season.  So if Hronek wants a lot, there's only two real options - settle or let him go for (almost) nothing.

If for some reason we do trade Hronek at the deadline, there's almost no way that makes the team better this year.  Maybe we flip him for a forward (ie. your wonderboy Jake Guentzel) and make a second trade to acquire... Tanev and throw him with Hughes, but the chemistry of Hughes-Hronek is unbelievable.  We shouldn't be messing around with that.

I disagree... 

Nobody is trading for Hronek without a deal in place. He's an RFA and we are 100% going to qualify him. 

His QO is 5.2 million. 

So we have a lot of time to figure out a deal. 

Edit: so I disagree that his trade value drops off after the trade deadline. It should go up as we will have the entire league going after him instead of just the playoffs teams. 

Edited by AatuD2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I like Eck's takes on things.  There is a lot money coming off the books next year for Toronto.  Bertuzzi can go.  Brodie can go (that one will hurt a bit).  Domi can probably re-sign for the same amount.  They have some great, cheap contracts in Jarnkrok and Kampf.  Knies and Woll are still good for another year.  Martin Jones is probably good enough to get an extension as their backup goalie.

This cap situation can work out... in theory.

Edited by Miss Korea

Just now, AatuD2 said:

I disagree... 

Nobody is trading for Hronek without a deal in place. He's an RFA and we are 100% going to qualify him. 

His QO is 5.2 million. 

So we have a lot of time to figure out a deal. 

Hmm... I don't know why I've made that mistake the entire time.  I've looked at the Canucks capfriendly roster so many times this year and for some reason I always thought he was a UFA.

I feel stupid now.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

Hmm... I don't know why I've made that mistake the entire time.  I've looked at the Canucks capfriendly roster so many times this year and for some reason I always thought he was a UFA.

I feel stupid now.

I missed out on a $2000 grant last year by confusing deadlines. Don't feel bad haha 

• Sad 1