[Re-signing] TOR extends William Nylander 8 years, $11.5M AAV (full NMC)

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Hmm... I don't know why I've made that mistake the entire time.  I've looked at the Canucks capfriendly roster so many times this year and for some reason I always thought he was a UFA.

I feel stupid now.

1 minute ago, AatuD2 said:

I missed out on a $2000 grant last year by confusing deadlines. Don't feel bad haha 

I watched part of the Leafs game the other day... don't worry... we all make mistakes.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Two things behind a Hronek trade scenario.  We have two months before the trade deadline.  After that, his trade value drops right off.  We might be able to get something back in a June trade or a sign-and-trade deal, but that really doesn't give us a lot of time to figure things out.  Most likely, there will be no negotiations of any kind until the end of the season.  So if Hronek wants a lot, there's only two real options - settle or let him go for (almost) nothing.

If for some reason we do trade Hronek at the deadline, there's almost no way that makes the team better this year.  Maybe we flip him for a forward (ie. your wonderboy Jake Guentzel) and make a second trade to acquire... Tanev and throw him with Hughes, but the chemistry of Hughes-Hronek is unbelievable.  We shouldn't be messing around with that.

We aren't trading Hronek at the deadline, just like we didn't trade BO at the deadline.  Negotiations will happen in the summer.  If they don't work out then Hronek will be traded.  I disagree that we will get almost nothing for him in the summer.  He's a top pairing RHD.  We got a 1st round pick plus a top prospect for BO in January last year.  So we should get at minimum the same or more with Hronek, even if we wait until next season to trade him.  His value is actually higher now than it was when we traded for him.  He could end up with 70 points this year...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Rekker said:

A great one? Full-max monies, max 8 year term, full NTC. All for a one dimensional winger with one 100 point season under his belt. Winger!? How is that a great deal? It's a deal, not a team friendly deal and absolutely no home town discount, especially considering Nylander got the extra year he wouldn't of in free agency. The extra year should of knocked the AAV down to at least 10.5.

where's the rest of my quote you cut it off because I already explained it

46 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I mean the lotto line only worked that 1 year and then it was pretty average the next and horrible the year after. I still don’t think it’ll work long term. Too much puck driver/carrier on the same line not enough puck to go around. Miller EP Hughes all 3 likes to carry the puck 

They do Ok with the "run and gun" type of teams its the heavy physical teams who play a tough defensive system is where i would like to see how they stand up to. 

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We aren't trading Hronek at the deadline, just like we didn't trade BO at the deadline.  Negotiations will happen in the summer.  If they don't work out then Hronek will be traded.  I disagree that we will get almost nothing for him in the summer.  He's a top pairing RHD.  We got a 1st round pick plus a top prospect for BO in January last year.  So we should get at minimum the same or more with Hronek, even if we wait until next season to trade him.  His value is actually higher now than it was when we traded for him.  He could end up with 70 points this year...

No, it was my mistake.  I thought he was a UFA and he's not.  Exact same situation as Pettersson this summer.

Which also means they're definitely not going to discuss extensions until at least... April.  Sometimes I see contract extensions in the middle of a playoff series, which I always find interesting.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

No, it was my mistake.  I thought he was a UFA and he's not.  Exact same situation as Pettersson this summer.

Which also means they're definitely not going to discuss extensions until at least... April.  Sometimes I see contract extensions in the middle of a playoff series, which I always find interesting.

I think Petey gets done in the next few weeks.  And I think Hronek will get done in the summer...

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

If we let Hronek walk, we better win the cup this year.  The Horvat trade essentially becomes nullified.  Horvat wanted more money because he was playing out of his mind, but the Canucks were already committed to J.T. Miller.  No opinion - right or wrong, that's just what happened.

I said this earlier and I'll say it again - the success/failure of Toronto in the postseason rests heavily on those five guys.  If any of them doesn't show up in a full seven game series, it severely hurts their chances of advancing.  They cannot afford to have a single star struggle.  It's an extreme risk to take, but I also think it's not unreasonable to expect Matthews/Marner to be your best players.

Its a team game we will keep who helps us succeed and we will move on from those that don't , it all works itself out in the end. 

If they are relying on those 5 guys then they have already lost. Its a team game and those guys can't play defense or goalie, no matter how hard they try. :classic_biggrin:

47 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

If we let Hronek walk, we better win the cup this year.  The Horvat trade essentially becomes nullified.

Hronek is under club control for another year. We have plenty of time to trade him if we cant meet his demands.

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek won't walk.  He will get traded just like BO if he wants crazy money.  Same with Brock.  I trust our management to get maximum value for both players if they need to be traded.

When JR won the cup with Pittsburgh in 2016 he had Letang and then a bunch of 5-6 guys that knew how to play defence.  In 2017, Letang was injured so Shultz was the guy and again they had a bunch of 5-6 Dmen.  Allvin is building our defence the same way.  Fun fact, Ian Cole was on both those teams.

It's not ideal to trade Hronek, but if we can move him for other assets, then we should be fine.  Especially if Willander can come in and take his spot.  I think we end up keeping Hronek and he signs in the $7 million range....

This goes for Petey as well, he will be no different then Hronek if he wants too much money.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The problem with Matthews is that they agreed to give him a deal that walked him right to UFA status without buying any years while not receiving any discount.  Dubas should have been fired on the spot for agreeing to that.

True, its a bit of column a and column b for sure.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Petey gets done in the next few weeks.  And I think Hronek will get done in the summer...

Oh, you think Petey is getting the Nylander extension, then.  The domino effect.

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Its a team game we will keep who helps us succeed and we will move on from those that don't , it all works itself out in the end. 

If they are relying on those 5 guys then they have already lost. Its a team game and those guys can't play defense or goalie, no matter how hard they try. :classic_biggrin:

Their goaltending situation has gotten infinitely better just by getting rid of Samsonov.  Woll/Jones might not be the long-term solution but they're doing just fine with that tandem.

Defence is an obvious issue and I'm surprised Treliving hasn't done anything about it, especially when some of their guys went down.  Right now the blueline is actually fully healthy (ignore Klingberg), so that puts them at having five NHL-level defencemen.  A good team should ideally have seven.  If they can find another Giordano-type player or two and snap them up for cheap, that'll really help them out.   Honestly, that's all Toronto can do right now - sign veterans for cheap and throw them into depth roles.  They won't be amazing and they won't score much but they'll put in the hard work.  Think of guys like Samuelsson and Salo when they played for us.

2 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Hronek is under club control for another year. We have plenty of time to trade him if we cant meet his demands.

I cannot catch a break

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Oh, you think Petey is getting the Nylander extension, then.  The domino effect.

Their goaltending situation has gotten infinitely better just by getting rid of Samsonov.  Woll/Jones might not be the long-term solution but they're doing just fine with that tandem.

Defence is an obvious issue and I'm surprised Treliving hasn't done anything about it, especially when some of their guys went down.  Right now the blueline is actually fully healthy (ignore Klingberg), so that puts them at having five NHL-level defencemen.  A good team should ideally have seven.  If they can find another Giordano-type player or two and snap them up for cheap, that'll really help them out.   Honestly, that's all Toronto can do right now - sign veterans for cheap and throw them into depth roles.  They won't be amazing and they won't score much but they'll put in the hard work.  Think of guys like Samuelsson and Salo when they played for us.

I cannot catch a break

When you are paying those guys the money you are, then I would say you are going "ALL IN". 

That defensive core and goalie tandem is not saying the same thing.

They are relying on scoring their way out of trouble, which may work in the regular season? but the post season is going to be a whole different story.

The D and goalies are going to get exposed and god help them if the big 4 go on dry spells like they have in the past. 

I won't be laying any bets on them to win the Cup anytime soon.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

I have been saying from day one of we get Pettey in under 12.5X8 we have done well. 
EP is the better defensive player, the better offensive player and plays a premium position. 
Lives in a better city though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I have been saying from day one of we get Pettey in under 12.5X8 we have done well. 
EP is the better defensive player, the better offensive player and plays a premium position. 

But will play with so much guilt and pressure he will huberdeau.

2 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Better watch out we might be called Tor fans for looking at it in Tor's perspective, Trust me people just want to hate on certain teams 

But luckily I don't care, The Signing is a great one with the Cap going up we the fans will start seeing many more teams have 2-3 guys above the 10 mill mark. The timing is terrible for the team because the Tavares contract is still on the books and it is unmovable 

At the same time people can acknowledge that they have too much cap wrapped up in the WRONG players objectively speaking, without just being haters. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

When you are paying those guys the money you are, then I would say you are going "ALL IN". 

That defensive core and goalie tandem is not saying the same thing.

They are relying on scoring their way out of trouble, which may work in the regular season? but the post season is going to be a whole different story.

The D and goalies are going to get exposed and god help them if the big 4 go on dry spells like they have in the past. 

I won't be laying any bets on them to win the Cup anytime soon.

Well, I really can't justify Treliving's decisions this past summer.  Dubas left Toronto with tons of money to upgrade the defence.  Treliving spent most of it on forwards who have all underperformed, as well as a hyper-offensive D-man who was clearly too broken to play.  Toronto needed Zadorov more than us.  They need Tanev more than us.  They should absolutely be giving up picks for defencemen right now.  If they do, that's one problem addressed.

In terms of goaltending, Woll actually did a decent job in net last postseason.  He stole a game against Florida.  And now he's backed it up with an excellent regular season campaign.  There's obviously a bunch of kids ahead of him, but Woll is probably a dark horse candidate for the Calder this year.  And Jones as backup is 2.08 GAA and .932 SV% in 10 games.  He's surprisingly doing better than Casey DeSmith, and he's dirt cheap.  How can you argue against those numbers?

I'll say it again: Samsonov was their biggest problem.  He was literally the worst performing goalie in the NHL this year.  With him gone, everything in Toronto has stabilized.

image.png.64d02f63efadff1de72d1d48fb830c27.png

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

12.5, imo, would make all his 'I want to play on a good team' talk sound hypocritical. Both players have similar stats over the last 3 years with Nylander scoring more goals (40 last year, on pace for ~45 this year). If Pettersson was actually good at taking faceoffs then I could be convinced that he is worth considerably more than Nylander. He is better at defense so 12 would be my top... and that's only if the Nylander signing truly influences the market. Prior to this I was thinking 11-11.5 was fair.

On 1/7/2024 at 8:26 AM, Drakrami said:

To be fair Nylander's been playing at a discount contract for 2-3 years now. 40 goal scorer, ppg+ at 6.9mil. 

Remember that off year he had ? He will probably have another one next year. He's capable of it. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Well, I really can't justify Treliving's decisions this past summer.  Dubas left Toronto with tons of money to upgrade the defence.  Treliving spent most of it on forwards who have all underperformed, as well as a hyper-offensive D-man who was clearly too broken to play.  Toronto needed Zadorov more than us.  They need Tanev more than us.  They should absolutely be giving up picks for defencemen right now.  If they do, that's one problem addressed.

In terms of goaltending, Woll actually did a decent job in net last postseason.  He stole a game against Florida.  And now he's backed it up with an excellent regular season campaign.  There's obviously a bunch of kids ahead of him, but Woll is probably a dark horse candidate for the Calder this year.  And Jones as backup is 2.08 GAA and .932 SV% in 10 games.  He's surprisingly doing better than Casey DeSmith, and he's dirt cheap.  How can you argue against those numbers?

I'll say it again: Samsonov was their biggest problem.  He was literally the worst performing goalie in the NHL this year.  With him gone, everything in Toronto has stabilized.

image.png.64d02f63efadff1de72d1d48fb830c27.png

Yes the opportunity was there to make the team better but not good decisions at all like you said.. 

The goalie situation has improved with them removing Samsonov, but it remains to be seen if they have what it takes to carry the team deep into the playoffs. 

That D core though is thin and one good injury and they are really hooped. 

• Cheers 1

You always hear that Nylander is the only one of Toronto's top players to show up in the playoffs. Was surprised to see

Nylander - 50 playoff games 40 pts

Matthews - 50 playoff games 44 pts

Marner - 50 playoff games 47 pts

• Upvote 1