[Re-signing] TOR extends William Nylander 8 years, $11.5M AAV (full NMC)

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Yes the opportunity was there to make the team better but not good decisions at all like you said.. 

The goalie situation has improved with them removing Samsonov, but it remains to be seen if they have what it takes to carry the team deep into the playoffs. 

That D core though is thin and one good injury and they are really hooped. 

Goaltending and defence should absolutely be addressed if Toronto hopes to go deep.  But if they do (and I think everyone expects them to), the team should look pretty good on paper.

I hate how people here just blindly hate on teams they don't like.  Toronto is a very strong team with tons of talent, but they are also extremely top-heavy with some superstars who've underperformed in the playoffs.  They are not trash, they are not garbage.  They make the playoffs every year, which is far better than our team's record in the last decade.  They have some obvious issues to address (defence and goaltending) but it's definitely something that can be fixed with a couple trades.

5 minutes ago, boziffous said:

You always hear that Nylander is the only one of Toronto's top players to show up in the playoffs. Was surprised to see

Nylander - 50 playoff games 40 pts

Matthews - 50 playoff games 44 pts

Marner - 50 playoff games 47 pts

I think it's because Matthews in particular should be over a PPG in the playoffs to be considered "showing up".  Same could be said of Marner.  However, now that Nylander is making the big bucks, the expectation would be that he will be at least a PPG as well.

Edited by HKSR

46 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

How long have we been saying Toronto needs a D core?  5-6 years? PA rebuilt one in barely a season🤣🤣🤣

We were also top heavy on forwards. Allvin managed to turn one of our core forwards into a top pairing RHDman in Hronek. Then he bought out OEL and went out and got some defensive dmen in Cole and Soucy. Cole a guy who has won 2 cups. Then on top of that he went out and beat Toronto to get Zadorov, a 6’6” monster who will be a great addition in the playoffs. 

He did this in less than one year. Meanwhile Toronto has been trying to do the same thing for going on 54 years. They just don’t get it. Their main concern is making the playoffs to appease their fanbase. They have no aspirations at all in winning a Stanley Cup. 

Oh and they’ve had 54 years to find a playoff goalie. The best they could do was Curtis Joseph at 31 years old. He was great but it only lasted 4 years. And no cup. I mean what else have they’ve done in net since the days of Terry Sawchuk and Johnny Bower?  

They literally traded Bernie Parent to Philly before he became a superstar and won those cups. They got Jacques Plante when he was 41. Mike Palmateer was supposed to be their saviour. Then Ken Wregget.  They even tried to revive Grant Fuhr’s career at age 30. Ed Belfour was another beauty. Tried to get him going at 37 years old.  Felix Potvin was another supposed saviour of the franchise. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

his ntc doesn't kick in till July ( only a mtc 10 team on current contract ), thus this could be a sign and trade, closer to the draft, type of situation.

17 minutes ago, boziffous said:

You always hear that Nylander is the only one of Toronto's top players to show up in the playoffs. Was surprised to see

Nylander - 50 playoff games 40 pts

Matthews - 50 playoff games 44 pts

Marner - 50 playoff games 47 pts

Imagine how good Hughes, Miller, Boeser and Petterson's numbers are going to look this year in playoffs.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think it's because Matthews in particular should be over a PPG in the playoffs to be considered "showing up".  Same could be said of Marner.  However, now that Nylander is making the big bucks, the expectation would be that he will be at least a PPG as well.

Or, just win. That's the problem with that shinny team, they care to much about scoring, all their core is of that mind set. Just win, prevent the other team from scoring, win battles, win 2 to 1, whatever. It's why I laff at posters here that bring up stats for this, stats for that. Who cares, that team can't win when it counts and the Nylander extension today changes none of that. Nylander has better stats then Dustin Brown had. Who do I want in their prime, for playoffs? Dustin Brown over Flamingo boy all day long.

14 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Imagine how good Hughes, Miller, Boeser and Petterson's numbers are going to look this year in playoffs.

Amazing the narrative the media will continually spew to appease Leaf Nation. I'm surprised by those stats when I've heard so much today about Nylander being the Leafs playoffs Lone Ranger.

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Amazing the narrative the media will continually spew to appease Leaf Nation. I'm surprised by those stats when I've heard so much today about Nylander being the Leafs playoffs Lone Ranger.

You know they are going to tank now, right? They are done. 4 players getting %60 of the cap does not make a helpful team, it makes 4 guys have to earn the $$$

Rest of the team know there aint no money for them. 

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We were also top heavy on forwards. Allvin managed to turn one of our core forwards into a top pairing RHDman in Hronek. Then he bought out OEL and went out and got some defensive dmen in Cole and Soucy. Cole a guy who has won 2 cups. Then on top of that he went out and beat Toronto to get Zadorov, a 6’6” monster who will be a great addition in the playoffs. 

He did this in less than one year. Meanwhile Toronto has been trying to do the same thing for going on 54 years. They just don’t get it. Their main concern is making the playoffs to appease their fanbase. They have no aspirations at all in winning a Stanley Cup. 

Oh and they’ve had 54 years to find a playoff goalie. The best they could do was Curtis Joseph at 31 years old. He was great but it only lasted 4 years. And no cup. I mean what else have they’ve done in net since the days of Terry Sawchuk and Johnny Bower?  

They literally traded Bernie Parent to Philly before he became a superstar and won those cups. They got Jacques Plante when he was 41. Mike Palmateer was supposed to be their saviour. Then Ken Wregget.  They even tried to revive Grant Fuhr’s career at age 30. Ed Belfour was another beauty. Tried to get him going at 37 years old.  Felix Potvin was another supposed saviour of the franchise. 

Toronto fans are the most stupid, uneducated fools of the lot.   Like you said, as long as they make the playoffs, fans will remain happy. 
why fix anything? They sell out at 100% capacity game after game, year after year.   They will never be built properly because there is zero urgency to do so!   

• ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

his ntc doesn't kick in till July ( only a mtc 10 team on current contract ), thus this could be a sign and trade, closer to the draft, type of situation.

He has a 10 team NTC. His NMC doesn't kick in till July.

26 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Or, just win. That's the problem with that shinny team, they care to much about scoring, all their core is of that mind set. Just win, prevent the other team from scoring, win battles, win 2 to 1, whatever. It's why I laff at posters here that bring up stats for this, stats for that. Who cares, that team can't win when it counts and the Nylander extension today changes none of that. Nylander has better stats then Dustin Brown had. Who do I want in their prime, for playoffs? Dustin Brown over Flamingo boy all day long.

I think in fairness, the Leafs are missing an Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, and Jonathan Quick lol

On 1/6/2024 at 9:37 PM, N4ZZY said:

Looking like if that's the deal Toronto signs Nylander to, we're probably exceeding that with Petey who plays a far more important role on the team as a centreman. I think the number will be higher than 11.5M now, especially if the Nylander deal is accurate. Might even be closer to the 12M number, over 8 years. If he wants that high of a salary, then he's going to have to sign longer ish term. 

Only he's not a good center man.  Can't drive a line, can't win face offs and spends a lot of time on his but.   He's awesome but he's not Mackinnon,  mathews or McDavid or Crosby....

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Only he's not a good center man.  Can't drive a line, can't win face offs and spends a lot of time on his but.   He's awesome but he's not Mackinnon,  mathews or McDavid or Crosby....

At least Petey doesnt have to play in Toronto.... thats quite favorable for a down to earth contract. Like a whole team gets paid contract.

8 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

It's because he never was a centre his entire career.  The Canucks lacked a 1C, so they placed him in the role.  Petey is a natural winger, and we're beginning to see why that is the case.  Being a winger doesn't mean he can't be solid defensively either -- see Marner and Stone. 

13 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Who do you think drives that line? Mikheyev or Kuzmenko?

44 minutes ago, Tusk said:

You know they are going to tank now, right? They are done. 4 players getting %60 of the cap does not make a helpful team, it makes 4 guys have to earn the $$$

Rest of the team know there aint no money for them. 

Tank, maybe? Move forward? Really doubt it, just more of the same and even less cap space to fill holes next season. Media probably still pins them as cup favourites though, lol.

On 1/7/2024 at 2:35 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

This deal pretty much signifies that the Leafs will move on from Tavares when his deal is up.  

Toronto fans on Reddit seem to think Tavares will take a massive discount (think $4m) to stay in TO. Utterly delusional. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, bhoodlum said:

Toronto fans on Reddit seem to think Tavares will take a massive discount (think $4m) to stay in TO. Utterly delusional. 

That's hilarious considering how badly he bent them over with the current deal.

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Yeah and Toews caps him off at 7.25. 

Hronek should sign for 7 and call it a day. I don't even care if he doesn't go 8 years. As I was saying earlier, I have no issues with signing guys to 4-5 year deals instead of 8. 

We should pair Hronek with another player to see where his stats go. As opposed to gaining points off of Hughes.

• Upvote 1