[Re-signing] TOR extends William Nylander 8 years, $11.5M AAV (full NMC)

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

After reading through this topic I realize there are a bunch of Leaf fans here that will defend this to death as a Great move for Toronto! When in reality, it was fiscally irresponsible, it once again drives up salaries across the board for everyone, and the Leafs will only get worse in the long run from it. 

Not sure if I completely buy that. I think  the notion that the Leafs' management of the cap has been atrocious the past few years is seeping into the fanbase. Steve Dangle's been somewhat critical of the signing on his podcast. 

Not to mention Sid Seixeiro gave a pretty over-the-top rant on the deal. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I don't have much to contribute but I feel the need to get in my two cents.

1. With Toronto signing Nylander long term at a cap hit of 11.5 that pretty much sets the minimum for Petey at 12.0 as EP is a center and is a better all-around player. Nylander is a winger, is having a career year that he is unlikely to repeat, and is not as good defensively as Petey. He also does not drive play like Petey does.  He has a lot of PP points playing with top players. In 5-on-5 scoring he has 23 pts, sitting at 29th place in the league. (Petey is 5th.)  Nylander is not exactly known as a team guy, either.

2. Treliving signed Huberdeau and Kadri to boat-anchor contracts in Calgary just before leaving and the Nylander deal is worse.

3. I personally would not go over 12 million for Petey. It just takes up too much cap space. I think a short term deal at 11 to 12 is likely.

4. A straight-up trade of Bedard for Petey this summer would be a great move for Vancouver. It is all about the cap. You win by having players who perform well relative to their cap hit. Bedard will be cost controlled for a while yet whereas Petey will go to the "market value" for UFAs. Also, while Petey is great, Bedard looks like the next superstar. I think his floor is where Petey is now and he is likely to be even better. Petey is a great player but a straight-up trade of Petey for Bedard is a no-brainer.

I don't think #4 will happen unless EP forces the hands of management.  I haven't seen Bedard's playmaking skills yet, just his goals.  Obviously he would be great for the future of the club but I'm not sure management would want to rock this boat we're currently in.  It's JR, so you never know.

For #1 and #2 above.....just because a few bonehead GMs sign ridiculous deals to players, doesn't mean that the new bar is set for the rest of the league.  Otherwise most D-men would be making more than OEL or Myers 😆.  I don't see JR or PA playing those games in this cap structure unless they can unload a lot of coin.  I understand the star players are different and EP deserves his payday........this team would look wickedly different without him.  But my guess is that JR and PA will say that the Hughes and JT contracts set the bar with EP making more but not 150% more......they'd be right to do so and crazy to pay EP what he wants if they want a string of years of being a contender.

I'm hoping they'll find a way to keep this group together as much as possible.  I like the team the way it is.  Kuz and Mikeyev are $10M/yr tied up in a way that's not really seeing the same kind of return and perhaps that's the fat that's trimmed in the off-season but then I don't mind those guys on the team neither.  Garland is earning his money right now although there's likely players out there that could perform equally with lower pay.  Do you change all of this to pay EP $12M/yr though?  No.....because then what do you pay the rest of the team that's outperforming their salaries?  Recipe for disaster.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I don't think #4 will happen unless EP forces the hands of management.  I haven't seen Bedard's playmaking skills yet, just his goals.  Obviously he would be great for the future of the club but I'm not sure management would want to rock this boat we're currently in.  It's JR, so you never know.

For #1 and #2 above.....just because a few bonehead GMs sign ridiculous deals to players, doesn't mean that the new bar is set for the rest of the league.  Otherwise most D-men would be making more than OEL or Myers 😆.  I don't see JR or PA playing those games in this cap structure unless they can unload a lot of coin.  I understand the star players are different and EP deserves his payday........this team would look wickedly different without him.  But my guess is that JR and PA will say that the Hughes and JT contracts set the bar with EP making more but not 150% more......they'd be right to do so and crazy to pay EP what he wants if they want a string of years of being a contender.

I'm hoping they'll find a way to keep this group together as much as possible.  I like the team the way it is.  Kuz and Mikeyev are $10M/yr tied up in a way that's not really seeing the same kind of return and perhaps that's the fat that's trimmed in the off-season but then I don't mind those guys on the team neither.  Garland is earning his money right now although there's likely players out there that could perform equally with lower pay.  Do you change all of this to pay EP $12M/yr though?  No.....because then what do you pay the rest of the team that's outperforming their salaries?  Recipe for disaster.

You are bang on with this situation. We can't go by another GM's mistakes and I don't think ours are that gullible to begin with anyway. 

Yes Miller and Hughes set the bar for the rest of them and yeah, they would be OK for Petey to take a little more, but I don't think they will tolerate greediness. 

Petey just needs to take the crazy money he is being offered and if he needs more? Then go do a few more commercials or do some work with a stick company or something. He is not going to have to worry about money in his life time I am pretty sure of that.

• Cheers 1

On 1/7/2024 at 1:04 AM, Coryberg said:

Its not their fault, it's in their DNA. Not many people know this but the leafs have never been past the 3rd round.... EVER!!!!

They haven’t even been TO the third round EVER.  1967 only had 2 rounds of playoffs.

edit: actually just remembered we killed them once in the third round jk

Edited by Rindiculous

25 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

They haven’t even been TO the third round EVER.  1967 only had 2 rounds of playoffs.

They went to the third round twice. In 93 against the kings and then in 94 against us. But yeah never won a 3rd round

13 hours ago, JamesB said:

4. A straight-up trade of Bedard for Petey this summer would be a great move for Vancouver. It is all about the cap. You win by having players who perform well relative to their cap hit. Bedard will be cost controlled for a while yet whereas Petey will go to the "market value" for UFAs. Also, while Petey is great, Bedard looks like the next superstar. I think his floor is where Petey is now and he is likely to be even better. Petey is a great player but a straight-up trade of Petey for Bedard is a no-brainer.

If Chicago ever were to offer Bedard for Petey you take it and runnnnnnnnn Forest runnnnnnn. Ain't happening but we can dare to dream lol.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Greg Adams, step on up!

52 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

If Chicago ever were to offer Bedard for Petey you take it and runnnnnnnnn Forest runnnnnnn. Ain't happening but we can dare to dream lol.

Chicago would be silly to trade Bedard for any single player return.