[Re-signing] TOR extends William Nylander 8 years, $11.5M AAV (full NMC)

5 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

This deal pretty much signifies that the Leafs will move on from Tavares when his deal is up.  

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wonder if they try and trade Tavares for a defenceman or even just cap space to fit Nylander.

They could try and move him this offseason since he will only have 1 year left on his deal.  Retaining $3m for 1 year and picking up a $6m top 4 D would still save the Leafs $2m in cap and make them a better team overall.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And that is their best shot at a cup.  The window will slam shut once Nylander is at 11.5, Matthews at 13.25, Tavares at 11, Marner at 10.9.  In other words, next season they will enter the equivalent time frame of when Toews and Kane got their post-Cup contracts.  Chicago was never the same again, and nor will Toronto.

Really isn’t significantly different then the situation they are in now and have been last few years. With the cap increase those 4 aren’t really taking up any more % of the cap then when he signed the last deal. 
It isn’t a good distribution of cap but really isn’t much different situation than what they have been in. They do have a lot of dead cap coming off the books. 
Treliving has his work cut out, needs a starting goalie and most of a D-core to really be thought of as contender’s again.  I still think at some point they will overpay to bring in Markstrom and Tanev before the season is out. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Really isn’t significantly different then the situation they are in now and have been last few years. With the cap increase those 4 aren’t really taking up any more % of the cap then when he signed the last deal. 
It isn’t a good distribution of cap but really isn’t much different situation than what they have been in. They do have a lot of dead cap coming off the books. 
Treliving has his work cut out, needs a starting goalie and most of a D-core to really be thought of as contender’s again.  I still think at some point they will overpay to bring in Markstrom and Tanev before the season is out. 

Between Matthews and Nylander, it's over $6m in cap increase for next year.  The cap is going up by $4m.  A net cap space decrease of over $2m.  That's potentially 1 or 2 bottom 6 guys.  It makes a difference.

10 hours ago, EdgarM said:

:classic_laugh: Can someone remind again me how many cups that group has won again with these high price players? Too Funny!:picard:

You laugh, but this is going to fuck us over with signing Petey, which means we're also going to have a very tough time building a winner. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 2

So instead of at least trying to spend money on defence, or a good goalie, just become even more top heavy on forwards. Not my team, and happy they aren't because I would be looking for a new team. What a bunch of morons running that shit show.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You laugh, but this is going to fuck us over with signing Petey, which means we're also going to have a very tough time building a winner. 

Yeah probably the worst thing that could have happened in the Petey negotiations.  Leave it to Toronto to fuck things up for everybody.  I'd be surprised if Nylander can replicate this season at any point over his 8 year deal too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Its interesting to compare Elias Lindholm, Double Flamingo and Petey: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_compare.php?players[]=3914&players[]=4044&players[]=4901&period=2023-2024%3AR%3A99

Over the last 3 years, Petey and Flamingo boy have nearly identical production. Petey exceeds Lindholms numbers by a decent amount but Lindholm is better on face offs, and has a bit more size. 

So looking at this overpay for Flamingo, yeah Petey is going to demand 12.5 and probably get it from us or someone else.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Vintage 1

I don't like building a team around mega contracts on wingers. Marner and Nylander at that price is a killer. EP gonna be pricey, but he is a legit number one center. How many of those have the Canucks drafted in franchise history? Sign the man. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, sassbs said:

Fun fact, last time leafs won the cup, the Vancouver didnt have a team!

also fun fact, last time leafs won a cup television was still in black n white 

Cracking Up Lol GIF

As far as I'm concerned leafs have never won a cup. 6 teams don't count in my books and they have never even been in a real Stanley cup final then. All they have is the media out east pumping them up as more then what they are, LOSERS.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yeah probably the worst thing that could have happened in the Petey negotiations.  Leave it to Toronto to fuck things up for everybody.  I'd be surprised if Nylander can replicate this season at any point over his 8 year deal too.

Fingers crossed Allvin can point to Toronto's poor playoff performance and persuade him to sign something reasonable, since he has always said it's about seeing where the team is at. Well, the team is crushing it this year, so if Petey truly wants to win, he must be pragmatic about his contract. 

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Fingers crossed Allvin can point to Toronto's poor playoff performance and persuade him to sign something reasonable, since he has always said it's about seeing where the team is at. Well, the team is crushing it this year, so if Petey truly wants to win, he must be pragmatic about his contract. 

That's a pipe dream, imo 

Just now, Jester13 said:

If so, then fingers crossed Allvin starts shopping him a little.

It's an option, for sure.  My favourite Canuck, but team first.  However, I'd rather see them find another avenue to cut costs first. 

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

If so, then fingers crossed Allvin starts shopping him a little.

I don't believe this situation makes it past the next draft. It might take the pressure of a potential trade to bring Petey's agent to the table. 

I think the Canucks dodged a bullet with Nylander. He seems greedy. 

Matthews - $13,250,000 NMC

Nylander - $11,500,000 NTC?

Tavares - $11,000,000 NMC

Marner - $10,903,000 NMC

Yikes, and no goaltending.  WTF is Toronto doing? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Marner - $10,903,000 NMC

Greedy?  He's a top 10 player in the world, why shouldn't he get paid like it?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, 27 Percent said:

I don't understand why we have to even match this for Petey. Nylander usually out produces Pettersson and Petterssons defense is marginally better than nylanders D play

Its not like Petey is going out there dominating the dot...6 yrs 10.5.

HAHAHAHAHA

image.png.71688ac3605828cac5629f3854c00b1a.png image.png.4e6c0b7dd1ed658b5a04ef68a7d76445.png

3vKJqc7.gif.e58f343cd427a124612c3a2ea13541cd.gif

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

And that is their best shot at a cup.  The window will slam shut once Nylander is at 11.5, Matthews at 13.25, Tavares at 11, Marner at 10.9.  In other words, next season they will enter the equivalent time frame of when Toews and Kane got their post-Cup contracts.  Chicago was never the same again, and nor will Toronto.

2 hours ago, gwarrior said:

So instead of at least trying to spend money on defence, or a good goalie, just become even more top heavy on forwards. Not my team, and happy they aren't because I would be looking for a new team. What a bunch of morons running that shit show.

There is no doubt that the Leafs are going to be extremely top heavy.  But Domi, Bertuzzi and Brodie all come off the books next year.  That's $13.5M to work with, or $9M if you offset the extension.

The year after that, Tavares can either walk or extend for much cheaper, and Marner will likely extend for more.  Again - not the most ideal situation for Toronto, but one that they can at least work with.  It'll probably be good enough to get them into the playoffs each year.  Treliving can always fill out the bottom six/bottom pairing with cheap hometown veterans.  Realistically, they have no other choice.

• ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Marner - $10,903,000 NMC

They are going all in.... ha ha but with 48% Cap in 4 players... but look at who is waiting in "LTIR" for playoffs, and hiding the goalie cap in the minors.

Come playoffs, everyone comes back as the Cap no longer counts.

Its ridiculous but it just might work.

Muzzin, Jake
Salary Relief: $5,625,000
P.Bonus Relief: $0
M-NTC LD LTIR Injury Trade 34 6.7 $5,625,000
UFA

Murray, Matt
Salary Relief: $4,687,500
RSM-NTC G LTIR Injury Trade 29 5.6 $4,687,500
UFA

Klingberg, John
Salary Relief: $4,150,000

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

HAHAHAHAHA

image.png.71688ac3605828cac5629f3854c00b1a.png image.png.4e6c0b7dd1ed658b5a04ef68a7d76445.png

3vKJqc7.gif.e58f343cd427a124612c3a2ea13541cd.gif

There is no doubt that the Leafs are going to be extremely top heavy.  But Domi, Bertuzzi and Brodie all come off the books next year.  That's $13.5M to work with, or $9M if you offset the extension.

The year after that, Tavares can either walk or extend for much cheaper, and Marner will likely extend for more.  Again - not the most ideal situation for Toronto, but one that they can at least work with.  It'll probably be good enough to get them into the playoffs each year.  Treliving can always fill out the bottom six/bottom pairing with cheap hometown veterans.  Realistically, they have no other choice.

They do come off the books, but those roster spots don't disappear and those players will have to be replaced

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

They do come off the books, but those roster spots don't disappear and those players will have to be replaced

Treliving had about $14M to work with in the offseason and spent it on Klingberg, Domi, Bertuzzi, and Reaves.  Two forwards, one goon, and one hyper-offensive D-man.  As long as Toronto is smart with the rest of the money they dish out (doubtful with Treliving in charge), they can fill that roster out with decent players.  That or improve college scouting so they can snap up any Ontario NCAA kids.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Treliving had about $14M to work with in the offseason and spent it on Klingberg, Domi, Bertuzzi, and Reaves.  Two forwards, one goon, and one hyper-offensive D-man.  As long as Toronto is smart with the rest of the money they dish out (doubtful with Treliving in charge), they can fill that roster out with decent players.  That or improve college scouting so they can snap up any Ontario NCAA kids.

They just stashed 20 million in contracts between LTIR and Minors, and they can pull everyone up in the playoffs. We are going to see a Toronto/Vancouver Stanley Cup Final!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Tusk said:

They are going all in.... ha ha but with 48% Cap in 4 players... but look at who is waiting in "LTIR" for playoffs, and hiding the goalie cap in the minors.

Come playoffs, everyone comes back as the Cap no longer counts.

Its ridiculous but it just might work.

Muzzin, Jake
Salary Relief: $5,625,000
M-NTC LD LTIR Injury Trade 34 6.7 $5,625,000
UFA

Murray, Matt
Salary Relief: $4,687,500
RSM-NTC G LTIR Injury Trade 29 5.6 $4,687,500
UFA

Klingberg, John
Salary Relief: $4,150,000

Those guys are on Robidas Island.  Muzzin hasn't played in almost two years.  His playing days are over.  Klingberg just had major hip surgery.  His playing days in Toronto are definitely over.  Murray... is rumoured to be recovering from his own hip surgery.  Judging by the Leafs' current goaltending situation, it seems they're seriously considering playing Murray as soon as he's ready.  They can't afford to gamble the entire second half of the season.