[Re-signing] TOR extends William Nylander 8 years, $11.5M AAV (full NMC)

1 minute ago, Devron said:

2 things 

He’s a winger 

and 

He’s not even a PPG over his career. 

Brutal contract imo 

Hindsite is 5050, but this current Leafs run of five years or so will go down in history as a lesson on what "not to do". Too much for a points only winger in Nylander, should of kept Nylander or Kadri or both and traded Nylander. AM always on shorter max money contracts, no goalies, no bottom sox, overpaid captain, crap D, crap bandaid trades and signings, a genius GM that turned out wasn't, crap coaching. Lol. Make a list of the last five six years and put good decisions on one side, bad on the other. But I'm sure this is just another brilliant signing right?

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

really do think hockey media is a big part of the perception problem of what a good team is

So, so accurate. Just so easy to write what the masses want to hear and get your likes and clicks. It's embarrassing. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Leafs are the gym rat that always skips leg day. They’ll never win with those tiny legs trying to hold up that upper body. 

upper body? Just say it, their huge heads.

19 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Now being reported as signed and done.

should hear Petey's contract soon right? I can't see how this gets dragged out until the off-season. anyone else thinks this gets done before then? 

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I really do think hockey media is a big part of the perception problem of what a good team is. They are just so lazy. They love to focus on the smallest number of people possible. McDavid. Oh OK maybe Karlsson for one season if he hits "100" which is a fun number to type.

You rarely see a good, detailed analysis of how teams win. Because its hard work. The fact is most media people are just really lazy.

Yeah I hear you, not many look at it like a chess game where there are so many things to look at to be successful. The big one is how do they play under huge pressure like the playoffs. Handing out contracts like they are cup winners when they haven't barely got out of the regular season. 

Skilled players are usually the most affected when it comes to playoffs because the game becomes much more physical and the room to make plays becomes much much less. That's why I don't get all the hype on these players who produce points but haven't shown they can be like a Kessler and go "Beast Mode" in the playoffs or like Linden who played better in the playoffs then he did in the regular season. That takes a special player to achieve that and there are not too players these days that can do that.

OR.....you can just continue to covet the TV commercial boys of the NHL to your hearts content. :classic_biggrin:

• Vintage 1

Just now, EdgarM said:

Yeah I hear you, not many look at it like a chess game where there are so many things to look at to be successful. The big one is how do they play under huge pressure like the playoffs. Handing out contracts like they are cup winners when they haven't barely got out of the regular season. 

Skilled players are usually the most affected when it comes to playoffs because the game becomes much more physical and the room to make plays becomes much much less. That's why I don't get all the hype on these players who produce points but haven't shown they can be like a Kessler and go "Beast Mode" in the playoffs or like Linden who played better in the playoffs then he did in the regular season. That takes a special player to achieve that and there are not too players these days that can do that.

OR.....you can just continue to covet the TV commercial boys of the NHL to your hearts content. :classic_biggrin:

the "hype" is it's really easy to sort a list of players by points. Zero context. 

I mean look at Winnipeg. Big yawn fest, right? but look at how well they are doing and the threat they pose to teams built top heavy. 

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

should hear Petey's contract soon right? I can't see how this gets dragged out until the off-season. anyone else thinks this gets done before then? 

Its all on Petey. He is playing for a good team like he asked and I am sure that the Canucks are offering him a more then fair deal. If this keeps getting drawn out, then he obviously wants something different then what we can offer him.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Its all on Petey. He is playing for a good team like he asked and I am sure that the Canucks are offering him a more then fair deal. If this keeps getting drawn out, then he obviously wants something different then what we can offer him.

thats it. Its Petey's camp holding things up, not mgmt. 

Allvin seems to be a smart one tho, he won't lose the value that Petey represents if somethings not workable. If delays continue, I just can't see this going past the next draft day. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

the "hype" is it's really easy to sort a list of players by points. Zero context. 

I mean look at Winnipeg. Big yawn fest, right? but look at how well they are doing and the threat they pose to teams built top heavy. 

Its funny you mention Winnipeg because I think they are a great example of a team deciding to play like a team as opposed to a bunch of individuals for a common goal. Much like how we have transformed our group as well. Boeser making sacrifices to the body for the betterment of the team.

A team game is going to win out every time against a bunch of All Stars. :classic_biggrin:

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

These 8 year contracts are like a 96 month car loan. Sure, it lets you buy an expensive shiny new Mustang that you could not afford otherwise, but after 5 or 6 years those payments become a real drag. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

thats it. Its Petey's camp holding things up, not mgmt. 

Allvin seems to be a smart one tho, he won't lose the value that Petey represents if somethings not workable. If delays continue, I just can't see this going past the next draft day. 

I agree, at some point you have to think that if a deal cannot be had, then Management will be forced to go to plan "B".  Not ideal, but something that they will have no other choice then to do. I would suspect that they cannot wait too long and they would move him sooner rather then later. The longer they wait ,the more pull he has as the pressure to find a deal becomes more pressing. 

• ThereItIs 1

I know they aren’t direct comparables but I hope that this spurs on some Petterson contract discussions.

Frankly, Allvin needs to tell his camp that they are busy trying to make moves and improve the team between now and the deadline but not having cost certainty on the Petterson contract going forward is making it harder.

Same goes for Hronek, that should be tied up in a bow already.  Not sure if they are waiting on the Petterson deal, but they need to get the signatures on the dotted line… hopefully while the team is riding a high.

• Miss Korea changed the title to [Re-signing] TOR extends William Nylander 8 years, $11.5M AAV
2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Karlsson getting the Norris was a joke. He cheated for an entire year and the moron press corps couldn't hand it too him fast enough.

It's handed out by the media, that's how it's reconciled. 101 pts and a -26? Literally didn't play defense that year.

There were many people who disagreed with him winning the Norris.  There is no doubt about that.  "Karlsson shouldn't have won" is a fairly safe opinion.  "Karlsson should be benched/be in the AHL" is a completely different, indefensible thing to say.

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

We are too far apart to warrant my time with this discussion, we just look at things completely different. All good, to each their own. 

Where are we far apart?  The fact that I value the regular season?  Or that offensive defencemen have a place in this league?

• ThereItIs 1

• Miss Korea changed the title to [Re-signing] TOR extends William Nylander 8 years, $11.5M AAV (full NMC)
On 1/6/2024 at 11:57 PM, Provost said:

It would be nice to get Petey on that AAV for a max deal.  It will probably come in at that for a 4 Year deal though.

Then he still gets to put the screws to a team for a max term deal when he is still 29 and extend his career earnings.

As we have learned with Klingberg sometimes not taking term when available is not worth it. 

On 1/7/2024 at 7:58 AM, HKSR said:

And that is their best shot at a cup.  The window will slam shut once Nylander is at 11.5, Matthews at 13.25, Tavares at 11, Marner at 10.9.  In other words, next season they will enter the equivalent time frame of when Toews and Kane got their post-Cup contracts.  Chicago was never the same again, and nor will Toronto.

I think most people have it wrong. The timing of Nylanders contract isn't great but Tor had to do it. They just have to get through next year. This signing clearly indicates they aren't re-signing Tavares and if they do it will be for far less then 11 mill per season. 

But the real question that has to be asked is where is Tor without Nylander. After next season Tor would be left with Mathews and Marner as their core and no one to replace Nylander or Tavares. If being honest there aren't a lot of guys with Nylander's score threat

It looks bad for next year absolutely but for the years after the Core will be Mathews, Marner and Nylander and they will have 11 mill in cap space to reallocate to defense and goaltending at the same time the cap is going up.

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

As we have learned with Klingberg sometimes not taking term when available is not worth it. 

Maybe, but I do think we'll see more stars and superstars opting for less than max term going forward. Call it the Matthews effect. Even if Pettersson opts for a four or five year deal and comes down to closer to point per game he'll likely get at least what he makes on this next deal on the following deal, if only because there will almost certainly be a team or two willing to pony up via UFA. Cap increases are a factor too, we're exiting a flat cap era and there's actual incentive to not take the max term deal. 

There's something to be said for stability and certainty, but there are likely several guys out there who are willing to bet on themselves as well. 

I think a lot of guys will continue to opt for the term and security, but I do think we'll see more higher tier guys betting on themselves so as to maximize their earnings.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ahh Treliving with a parting gift to Flames fans and now this little present for Leafs fans. 😂

He sure likes to spend ownerships money.

I'd be scared as a leaves fan with Brad signing the cheques. Its funny tho, TO sure doesn't seem to get any discounts for players wanting to be there.

• Cheers 1