[Re-signing] TOR extends William Nylander 8 years, $11.5M AAV (full NMC)

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

buyout proof too. 

I mean I get it, teams need to retain their talent, but this is a team bending over. 

I still believe you can fill the rest of the roster out with good talent.  But it does leave you with ZERO flexibility and ZERO room for error.  Just one bad contract and you're in trouble.  They cannot make even one mistake with their depth signings.

Just so happens that literally all of Treliving's summer signings have flopped.

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Somebodies getting moved. There is no way they are going into next season with 60% of the salary cap allocated to 5 guys. 

One of Tavares or Marner would make sense, although both have NMC's and control their destiny's 

Both have a season remaining on their deals after this season, Tavares will have to take less if he wants to return as he'll be 35 before the first season of any extension begins 

Matthews, Nylander, and Marner are likely just cannibalizing the cap his expiring deal will free up tbh, Leafs would be smart to look for a more cost effective 2C going forward if they can 

Could get a good haul for Marner, it'd be tough to walk away from a player who's put up 3 90+ point seasons before he turned 26 though

Edited by Coconuts

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Somebodies getting moved. There is no way they are going into next season with 60% of the salary cap allocated to 5 guys. 

Matthews: NMC

Marner: NMC

Tavares: NMC

Rielly: NMC

Nylander: NMC

Someone is going to get moved, but not those 5 guys.

It wasn't Kyle Dubas after all.  It was Brendan Shanahan all along.

• ThereItIs 1

22 hours ago, stawns said:

People forget, players have an obligation to their union and to other players to maximize their earnings so that other players can maximize theirs.  

None of the players wants to be the guy signing a deal that looks terrible in the back half though. That hurts the union more than taking a little less to make a team work.

Some players have earned a raise by taking less before or way over-performing on an early contract, but even then there's a compromise.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Buyout looming on Tavares maybe if no one will waive.

this is the most grossly core in the league. 60% between 5 guys…. Leaving 35ish mil for 18 players….. an average of roughly 2mil value for the rest of their roster…. Good luck finding a starting goalie that is vezina calibre at that price tag.

Maybe Shanatard is an anti-leaf guy and went there purely to fuck shit up? 

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Dunno how Shanahan still has a job tbh, he's been at the helm for as much failure as Dubas 

Only silver lining for the Leafs is that the core 4 likely becomes the core 3 sooner than later, and that Marner's raise shouldn't be as significant as Nylander's 

Edited by Coconuts

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

One of Tavares or Marner would make sense, although both have NMC's and control their destiny's 

Both are up in a couple years too though, Tavares will have to take less if he wants to return as he'll be 35 before the first season of any extension begins 

Matthews, Nylander, and Marner are likely just cannibalizing the cap his expiring deal will free up tbh, Leafs would be smart to look for a more cost effective 2C going forward if they can 

tbh toronto doesn't really have to do anything.. they just don't re-sign bertuzzi, woll being the starter and get a cheap backup with the cap going up 4mil ish along with brodie coming off the cap they can afford to find some defence and then tavares falls off the following year.. they are not really in that bad of a cap situation like people suggest. depth is a little suspect.. but their top end talent will get them to the playoff at least and as long as woll stays healthy

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

this is the most grossly core in the league. 60% between 5 guys…. Leaving 35ish mil for 18 players….. an average of roughly 2mil value for the rest of their roster…. Good luck finding a starting goalie that is vezina calibre at that price tag.

Doubt it, Tavares's contract is only a roadblock for one more season after this one, they'll likely just ride it out and use him as their own rental if he can't be flipped 

Not worth the headache of a buyout if he's still productive 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I still believe you can fill the rest of the roster out with good talent.  But it does leave you with ZERO flexibility and ZERO room for error.  Just one bad contract and you're in trouble.  They cannot make even one mistake with their depth signings.

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Both have a season remaining on their deals after this season, Tavares will have to take less if he wants to return as he'll be 35 before the first season of any extension begins 

Could get a good haul for Marner, it'd be tough to walk away from a player who's put up 3 90+ point seasons before he turned 26 though

We are now starting to see the devastating impact COVID had on the league…. We were immediately affected when we had to let guys go. Teams that were locked in on inflated deals are still reeling from the inflation and are now having to re-up at top level inflation while the cap hasnt gone up anywhere near what it should be at by now.

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Nope.  I checked the numbers and buying pajama boy out this summer saves them a total of $600,000 in cap.

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/john-tavares

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno how Shanahan still has a job tbh, he's been at the helm for as much failure as Dubas 

Only silver lining for the Leafs is that the core 4 likely becomes the core 3 sooner than later, and that Marner's raise shouldn't be as significant as Nylander's 

He's not in his contract year yet.  Just you watch...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

tbh toronto doesn't really have to do anything.. they just don't re-sign bertuzzi, woll being the starter and get a cheap backup with the cap going up 4mil ish along with brodie coming off the cap they can afford to find some defence and then tavares falls off the following year.. they are not really in that bad of a cap situation like people suggest. depth is a little suspect.. but their top end talent will get them to the playoff at least and as long as woll stays healthy

Not much further than that though, and with how poorly Treliving has done on new additions, it remains to be seen how they'll make better use of Tavares' cap space later on.

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, but I do think we'll see more stars and superstars opting for less than max term going forward. Call it the Matthews effect. Even if Pettersson opts for a four or five year deal and comes down to closer to point per game he'll likely get at least what he makes on this next deal on the following deal, if only because there will almost certainly be a team or two willing to pony up via UFA. Cap increases are a factor too, we're exiting a flat cap era and there's actual incentive to not take the max term deal. 

There's something to be said for stability and certainty, but there are likely several guys out there who are willing to bet on themselves as well. 

I think a lot of guys will continue to opt for the term and security, but I do think we'll see more higher tier guys betting on themselves so as to maximize their earnings.

Toronto really screwed everyone but bending over and giving Matthews that term the first time m  Everyone's getting punished because Dubas was too stupid to tell him to either sign a contract with an acceptable term or he will be traded.

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Leafs just have to be smart enough to not have four players making 10M+ going forward once Tavares's deal is up, whether they can accomplish that remains to be seen

If they can't get Tavares back on a sweetheart deal they'd probably be better off letting him walk, captain and still productive or not 

Continuing to build such a top heavy team would be a mistake, they need to spread their cap around more effectively if they want to be more than a regular season darling

On 1/7/2024 at 8:09 AM, HKSR said:

Between Matthews and Nylander, it's over $6m in cap increase for next year.  The cap is going up by $4m.  A net cap space decrease of over $2m.  That's potentially 1 or 2 bottom 6 guys.  It makes a difference.

Nicely put. I suspect one of the big four "might" be moved for cap space next year but that may also depend on (1) whether they get to the playoff - most likely, and (2) if they go deep into the playoffs. In my opinion, if the make it to the 3rd round and bow out then perhaps none of the big guns are moved, but if they either miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round then changes would almost certainly occur with one of the big 4 forward contracts (not Free Willie of course).

27 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, but I do think we'll see more stars and superstars opting for less than max term going forward. Call it the Matthews effect. Even if Pettersson opts for a four or five year deal and comes down to closer to point per game he'll likely get at least what he makes on this next deal on the following deal, if only because there will almost certainly be a team or two willing to pony up via UFA. Cap increases are a factor too, we're exiting a flat cap era and there's actual incentive to not take the max term deal. 

There's something to be said for stability and certainty, but there are likely several guys out there who are willing to bet on themselves as well. 

I think a lot of guys will continue to opt for the term and security, but I do think we'll see more higher tier guys betting on themselves so as to maximize their earnings.

Petey 4x$12m... would you do that? Would Petey do that?

3 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Nicely put. I suspect one of the big four "might" be moved for cap space next year but that may also depend on (1) whether they get to the playoff - most likely, and (2) if they go deep into the playoffs. In my opinion, if the make it to the 3rd round and bow out then perhaps none of the big guns are moved, but if they either miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round then changes would almost certainly occur with one of the big 4 forward contracts (not Free Willie of course).

All those guys have full no move clauses. Only Willie currently doesn’t until his new mega deal starts. And now with his next contract locked in he’s pretty much not tradable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Leafs just have to be smart enough to not have four players making 10M+ going forward once Tavares's deal is up, whether they can accomplish that remains to be seen

If they can't get Tavares back on a sweetheart deal they'd probably be better off letting him walk, captain and still productive or not 

Continuing to build such a top heavy team would be a mistake, they need to spread their cap around more effectively if they want to be more than a regular season darling

Honestly... the five players just have to all perform well in the postseason.  No exceptions.  It's not too much to ask - they are all talented players capable of doing it.

Last year, Nylander and Rielly lived up to those expectations and it got them past the first round.  For Matthews/Marner, there were too many instances where they would score four points each one game, but then zero the next two games.

19 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I think most people have it wrong. The timing of Nylanders contract isn't great but Tor had to do it. They just have to get through next year. This signing clearly indicates they aren't re-signing Tavares and if they do it will be for far less then 11 mill per season. 

But the real question that has to be asked is where is Tor without Nylander. After next season Tor would be left with Mathews and Marner as their core and no one to replace Nylander or Tavares. If being honest there aren't a lot of guys with Nylander's score threat

It looks bad for next year absolutely but for the years after the Core will be Mathews, Marner and Nylander and they will have 11 mill in cap space to reallocate to defense and goaltending at the same time the cap is going up.

11 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Yeah, just looking over the Leafs cap numbers and this was probably their best option.  They COULD bring back Domi and Bertuzzi given that Bertuzzi's cap hit will likely be lower, and Domi's a bit higher, but I think they'd be better off moving Robertson into the top 6 and putting that extra cap to defence/goaltending.

That'll leave the Leafs with $16.5M to grab a couple top 4 D ($9M for 2?), and a decent goalie ($4M), while filling out the rest of the roster with cheaper contracts (ELCs like Minten... although I wasn't impressed with Minten at all in the WJHC).

Their forward lines could remain intact:

Knies-Matthews-Marner

Robertson-Tavares-Nylander

Holmberg-Domi-Jarnkrok

Reaves-Kampf-???

Their defence is pretty bad unless they find some good replacements.  If I were a Leafs fan, I'd hope for Tanev and Edmundson as UFAs.

Reilly-(Tanev)

(Edmundson)-McCabe

???-Liljegren

That would be a much stronger lineup overall. 

So I actually think the Leafs did what they had to do here.  Might not be perfect, but it's better than letting Nylander walk. 

I don’t understand how people are convinced or even worried that Tavares’ production is going to fall off a cliff starting next season. He’s the same PPG player he has ever been.

The fact that he was never going to live up to his $11M price tag by production alone has always been the issue with his contract. He’ll still command ~$8Mper year on a multi year deal come next contract. 

2 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Petey 4x$12m... would you do that? Would Petey do that?

I think Petey would, I think the team would want a smaller cap hit and probably more term

Could see a compromise of a 5 year deal

Still takes Pettersson through what should be most of his peak years and gives both sides a chance to reassess sooner than later