[Re-signing] TOR extends William Nylander 8 years, $11.5M AAV (full NMC)

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All those guys have full no move clauses. Only Willie currently doesn’t until his new mega deal starts. And now with his next contract locked in he’s pretty much not tradable. 

Agreed, but players with NTC or NMC have been traded before. Will be interesting to see what happens with Toronto this playoff season. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Toronto really screwed everyone but bending over and giving Matthews that term the first time m  Everyone's getting punished because Dubas was too stupid to tell him to either sign a contract with an acceptable term or he will be traded.

The cap being frozen and only inching up slowly is what really fucked everything. Comparing these contracts to previous super star deals the % is roughly the same, but the cap kept jumping and eventually caught up to inflation which allowed teams to build a little deeper in years 4+

now they are just straight up fucked, just like Deadmonton soon will be

• Vintage 1

Vancouver may be smarter to pay EP40 more for 3 years than less for 8, just my two cents, and I really like the guy, but what is he gonna be like in 8 years? I dunno, neither do the coaches and GM. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Lol wow they’re fucked. 
11 guys to re-sign with 21mil cap space. 

:classic_laugh: I wonder if that puts a divide in the locker room with the "have' and "have nots". Who would want to go to Toronto where there is not one cent to spare for anyone to get a raise. Good times in Toronto are coming. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Vancouver may be smarter to pay EP40 more for 3 years than less for 8, just my two cents, and I really like the guy, but what is he gonna be like in 8 years? I dunno, neither do the coaches and GM. 

I would do at least a 4 or 5 year deal with Petey. Hughes current deal expires in 3 years after this season. Would rather not have both of them as UFA’s at the same time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

The cap being frozen and only inching up slowly is what really fucked everything. Comparing these contracts to previous super star deals the % is roughly the same, but the cap kept jumping and eventually caught up to inflation which allowed teams to build a little deeper in years 4+

now they are just straight up fucked, just like Deadmonton soon will be

The problem with Matthews is that they agreed to give him a deal that walked him right to UFA status without buying any years while not receiving any discount.  Dubas should have been fired on the spot for agreeing to that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanuckMan said:

I would do at least a 4 or 5 year deal with Petey. Hughes current deal expires in 3 years after this season. Would rather not have both of them as UFA’s at the same time. 

Four is still substantially better than the what if's of years 6 seven and 8 on a long term deal worth 8 digits. 

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, just looking over the Leafs cap numbers and this was probably their best option.  They COULD bring back Domi and Bertuzzi given that Bertuzzi's cap hit will likely be lower, and Domi's a bit higher, but I think they'd be better off moving Robertson into the top 6 and putting that extra cap to defence/goaltending.

That'll leave the Leafs with $16.5M to grab a couple top 4 D ($9M for 2?), and a decent goalie ($4M), while filling out the rest of the roster with cheaper contracts (ELCs like Minten... although I wasn't impressed with Minten at all in the WJHC).

Their forward lines could remain intact:

Knies-Matthews-Marner

Robertson-Tavares-Nylander

Holmberg-Domi-Jarnkrok

Reaves-Kampf-???

Their defence is pretty bad unless they find some good replacements.  If I were a Leafs fan, I'd hope for Tanev and Edmundson as UFAs.

Reilly-(Tanev)

(Edmundson)-McCabe

???-Liljegren

That would be a much stronger lineup overall. 

So I actually think the Leafs did what they had to do here.  Might not be perfect, but it's better than letting Nylander walk. 

:classic_laugh: That's a Stanley Cu[p winning line up right there, I wonder if they have a goaltender as well? :classic_ninja:

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Leafs just have to be smart enough to not have four players making 10M+ going forward once Tavares's deal is up, whether they can accomplish that remains to be seen

If they can't get Tavares back on a sweetheart deal they'd probably be better off letting him walk, captain and still productive or not 

Continuing to build such a top heavy team would be a mistake, they need to spread their cap around more effectively if they want to be more than a regular season darling

I don’t think having a top heavy team is the issue in Toronto.. it’s having a top heavy team where they spent everything on the offense is the problem. They would be fine if one of those 11mil guy is an elite 11mil defenceman. Spreading the cap only works if everyone is pulling their weight.. otherwise it’ll be like the Canucks mikheyev kuz not pulling their weight for the cap they command. Garland playing right on the 3rd line but he’s very overpaid if he’s a 3rd liner. I would much rather we had a legit 7-8mil winger on ep wing plus a cheap 2-3 mil winger on the other side than have a 5mil mikheyev 5.5mil kuzmenko

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think Petey would, I think the team would want a smaller cap hit and probably more term

Could see a compromise of a 5 year deal

Still takes Pettersson through what should be most of his peak years and gives both sides a chance to reassess sooner than later

Why would he do it? Takes him to 31 with 0 assurance he can get one last 7-8 year contract. Ep have to be dumb if he’s taking anything more than 3 years if it’s not a max term contract.. at 29 great chance he can get a max contract at max money.. at 30 he might be looking at a reduce money max term or max money short term.. or neither.. much easier for him to get max term/money now and when expire do short term deals or retire then it is to take a 4-5 year deal that takes him to 30-31 where it’s unlikely team will give out max term/money deal.

there’s like 0 guarantees he even gets a 10mil+ deal next time if he signs a 4-5 year deal that takes him to 30-31 

23 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

I think the Canucks dodged a bullet with Nylander. He seems greedy. 

Matthews - $13,250,000 NMC

Nylander - $11,500,000 NTC?

Tavares - $11,000,000 NMC

Marner - $10,903,000 NMC

Yikes, and no goaltending.  WTF is Toronto doing? 

Like 46.5M for four players. And they wonder how they lose good players like Hyman and Lafferty etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don’t think having a top heavy team is the issue in Toronto.. it’s having a top heavy team where they spent everything on the offense is the problem. They would be fine if one of those 11mil guy is an elite 11mil defenceman. Spreading the cap only works if everyone is pulling their weight.. otherwise it’ll be like the Canucks mikheyev kuz not pulling their weight for the cap they command. Garland playing right on the 3rd line but he’s very overpaid if he’s a 3rd liner. I would much rather we had a legit 7-8mil winger on ep wing plus a cheap 2-3 mil winger on the other side than have a 5mil mikheyev 5.5mil kuzmenko

Why would he do it? Takes him to 31 with 0 assurance he can get one last 7-8 year contract. Ep have to be dumb if he’s taking anything more than 3 years if it’s not a max term contract.. at 29 great chance he can get a max contract at max money.. at 30 he might be looking at a reduce money max term or max money short term.. or neither.. much easier for him to get max term/money now and when expire do short term deals or retire then it is to take a 4-5 year deal that takes him to 30-31 where it’s unlikely team will give out max term/money deal.

there’s like 0 guarantees he even gets a 10mil+ deal next time if he signs a 4-5 year deal that takes him to 30-31 

It's a gamble, certainly, but he could potentially make more on two smaller deals than one big one at the end of the day, if he doesn't want a max deal a 3-4 deal would likely make more sense for him though, absolutely. 

He turned 25 in November, he'll be 26 shortly into the first year of any new deal. a 3-4 year deal would take him to 29-30ish. Still plenty of time to cash in if he wanted, he should be productive enough over the next few seasons that if nothing else a team would probably throw the bag at him in UFA. 

Depends on how much he's willing to bet on himself, but he's already demonstrated a willingness to do so by going into this season without an extension. 

It's hard to know what Pettersson wants regarding term, but he will likely get market value on whatever deal he gets. I don't see the Canucks getting a discount, neither Hughes or Pettersson gave them one last time they sat out in negotiations. Wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks end up paying Hughes market value down the road too, he'll very likely command more than Pettersson when you factor in cap increases. Particularly if he wins any hardware before his deal is up.

The cost of having players put up top line/elite numbers without winning it all is having to pay them, but I'd rather have to pay the piper than be capped out and mediocre the way we were for years. Some folks want to have top notch talent without having to pay top tier dollars, you don't typically get one without the other.

Edited by Coconuts

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, just looking over the Leafs cap numbers and this was probably their best option.  They COULD bring back Domi and Bertuzzi given that Bertuzzi's cap hit will likely be lower, and Domi's a bit higher, but I think they'd be better off moving Robertson into the top 6 and putting that extra cap to defence/goaltending.

That'll leave the Leafs with $16.5M to grab a couple top 4 D ($9M for 2?), and a decent goalie ($4M), while filling out the rest of the roster with cheaper contracts (ELCs like Minten... although I wasn't impressed with Minten at all in the WJHC).

Their forward lines could remain intact:

Knies-Matthews-Marner

Robertson-Tavares-Nylander

Holmberg-Domi-Jarnkrok

Reaves-Kampf-???

Their defence is pretty bad unless they find some good replacements.  If I were a Leafs fan, I'd hope for Tanev and Edmundson as UFAs.

Reilly-(Tanev)

(Edmundson)-McCabe

???-Liljegren

That would be a much stronger lineup overall. 

So I actually think the Leafs did what they had to do here.  Might not be perfect, but it's better than letting Nylander walk. 

Better watch out we might be called Tor fans for looking at it in Tor's perspective, Trust me people just want to hate on certain teams 

But luckily I don't care, The Signing is a great one with the Cap going up we the fans will start seeing many more teams have 2-3 guys above the 10 mill mark. The timing is terrible for the team because the Tavares contract is still on the books and it is unmovable 

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

:classic_laugh: That's a Stanley Cu[p winning line up right there, I wonder if they have a goaltender as well? :classic_ninja:

Well, don't look now, but our top tier backup DeSmith is a UFA and could potentially be too expensive for us to keep.  At $4M, I think the Leafs could land him.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Well, don't look now, but our top tier backup DeSmith is a UFA and could potentially be too expensive for us to keep.  At $4M, I think the Leafs could land him.

You think they have 4 Million to spare to pay him? :classic_biggrin:

19 hours ago, Rekker said:

Leafs fans are the biggest bunch of misguided clowns on the planet. Their kiss ass media leading the way with their brainwash stories. How many years have the Leafs been cup favourites now? How many years have fans bought into that crap now? The results. It's a shinny team that can score, and score well. That's it, that's all they do well. Figures the same fan base that believes that team is a contender, believes Reilly to be a good dman, because he puts up points. Most dense and gulllible fan base on the planet.

I don't really mind it. TO will continue to bleed out solid bottom 6 players that they can't afford to resign. Keep poaching. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Better watch out we might be called Tor fans for looking at it in Tor's perspective, Trust me people just want to hate on certain teams 

But luckily I don't care, The Signing is a great one with the Cap going up we the fans will start seeing many more teams have 2-3 guys above the 10 mill mark. The timing is terrible for the team because the Tavares contract is still on the books and it is unmovable 

Probably, times are a changing. We'll undoubtedly have two of them in both Pettersson and Hughes down the road if Pettersson signs longer term. Folks need to start wrapping their heads around NHL players making 10M+ as being more of a norm going forward, because it will be as the cap continues to rise.

Edited by Coconuts

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

DeSmith will help us win a playoff game or three. He might want to stay and see that through. Say if Dem goes down, he's the man.

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's a gamble, certainly, but he could potentially make more on two smaller deals than one big one at the end of the day, if he doesn't want a max deal a 3-4 deal would likely make more sense for him though, absolutely. 

He turned 25 in November, he'll be 26 shortly into the first year of any new deal. a 3-4 year deal would take him to 29-30ish. Still plenty of time to cash in if he wanted, he should be productive enough over the next few seasons that if nothing else a team would probably throw the bag at him in UFA. 

Depends on how much he's willing to bet on himself, but he's already demonstrated a willingness to do so by going into this season without an extension. 

It's hard to know what Pettersson wants regarding term, but he will likely get market value on whatever deal he gets. I don't see the Canucks getting a discount, neither Hughes or Pettersson gave them one last time they sat out in negotiations. Wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks end up paying Hughes market value down the road too, he'll very likely command more than Pettersson when you factor in cap increases. 

The cost of having players put up top line/elite numbers without winning it all is having to pay them, but I'd rather have to pay the piper than be capped out and mediocre the way we were for years. Some folks want to have top notch talent without having to pay top tier dollars, you don't typically get one without the other.

That’s why I said a 3 year make sense for him 4-5 0 sense as it’s massive risk age wise. Not many players have gotten a 10+ mil a year contract at the age of 30+ long or short term only one so far is like huberdeau and im sure the flame regretted. 

I also think ep is waiting to see what the team does with kuzmenko or basically what they do for him in terms of wingers. They are not letting kuzmenko play the way he can. Mikheyev is not a legit top 6 in this league.. he’s better suited as a 3rd liner that can play in the top 6 occasionally. I don’t think he wants to continue playing with teammates that drag him down. Yes he’s expected to elevate his teammates.. but I think they are asking too much when he needs to elevate 2 winger and 2 defenceman offensively.. all the top players in the league have a sidekick whether it’s forward or defenceman. Ep is one of the rare few that doesn’t have one 

Nylander's on pace for about 120 points this year. If he's actually that level of a player, this deal is perfectly reasonable. That said, historically, he's more of an 80-85 point player. The reality is probably somewhere in between, a 90-105 point player. Still very good and maybe slightly overpaid.

An interesting comparable for Petey. Currently, he's scoring more than Petey, but Petey has two 100-point pace seasons to his name, so he's a more certain commodity. In addition, Petey's defense is better. He's also two years younger. I think those things probably place Petey a bit above Nylander, putting him at about $12M or so if he were to sign an 8-year deal. My gut is that Petey signs for 4-6 years and not all eight, so he can maybe cash in on one more big deal later in his career.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probably, times are a changing. We'll undoubtedly have two of them in both Pettersson and Hughes down the road if Pettersson signs longer term. Folks need to start wrapping their heads around NHL players making 10M+ as being more of a norm going forward, because it will be as the cap continues to rise.

absolutely Just look at the other leagues the money does not flow down as much as it does flow up

Some guys just have that old school mentality that if I got paid $25 an hour when I was his/her age why should I pay $35-$40 to my employee. Because it is called inflation. Trust me when I say that the business owners will get this. It is literally how you retain and attract good employee's and not have to deal with the bottom of the barrel or the headaches that come along with not paying a decent wage 

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

That’s why I said a 3 year make sense for him 4-5 0 sense as it’s massive risk age wise. Not many players have gotten a 10+ mil a year contract at the age of 30+ long or short term only one so far is like huberdeau and im sure the flame regretted. 

I also think ep is waiting to see what the team does with kuzmenko or basically what they do for him in terms of wingers. They are not letting kuzmenko play the way he can. Mikheyev is not a legit top 6 in this league.. he’s better suited as a 3rd liner that can play in the top 6 occasionally. I don’t think he wants to continue playing with teammates that drag him down. Yes he’s expected to elevate his teammates.. but I think they are asking too much when he needs to elevate 2 winger and 2 defenceman offensively.. all the top players in the league have a sidekick whether it’s forward or defenceman. Ep is one of the rare few that doesn’t have one 

You're not wrong, the Kuzmenko conundrum is a bit of a head scratcher and Mikheyev is a middle six tweener by the looks of it, despite being an effective two-way player. 

Canucks are top heavy in regards to point production this season from both their forwards and their D, they're fortunate that their depth guys have performed pretty well. That second line needs more, although 19 points in 33 games from Kuzmenko and 21 in 35 from Mikheyev isn't terrible. You'd just expect someone of better caliber alongside Pettersson. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

tbh toronto doesn't really have to do anything.. they just don't re-sign bertuzzi, woll being the starter and get a cheap backup with the cap going up 4mil ish along with brodie coming off the cap they can afford to find some defence and then tavares falls off the following year.. they are not really in that bad of a cap situation like people suggest. depth is a little suspect.. but their top end talent will get them to the playoff at least and as long as woll stays healthy

Toronto isn't interested in winning the Stanley Cup.  They have proven this over the last 53 years.  Their end goal each year is simply to make the playoffs and give their fans some hope.  They don't know how to build an actual roster to win it all.

So, their team is fine as you can ride those 5 guys into the playoffs each and every year.  Once they get in and find out they don't have a goalie or defencemen that play defence then they are hooped.

Allvin is obviously taking a different approach.  He is trying to build a Stanley Cup champion.  He will re-sign Petey that is for sure.  However, I can see Brock getting traded if he wants more than $7 million.  Allvin already traded BO after he felt his demands were too high, so the same thing will happen with Brock.  Even signing Hronek isn't a sure bet if he comes in asking like $9 million.  Hronek has to also be in the $7 million range IMO...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1