Spotify

Rob Eh

35 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

75 canadian artists made for me right now

Gotta love Spotify. I calculate that if every one of the 1407 CFF members listen to all 75 songs the artists will make just over $0.56 each.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

24 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Gotta love Spotify. I calculate that if every one of the 1407 CFF members listen to all 75 songs the artists will make just over $0.56 each.

Damn i supposed to feel bad for the millionaires?

1 minute ago, MidKnight Ego said:

Damn i supposed to feel bad for the millionaires?

You're supposed to feel bad for the thousands of musicians who will never have a chance to become one let alone have a chance to make what might be described as a decent income.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You're supposed to feel bad for the thousands of musicians who will never have a chance to become one let alone have a chance to make what might be described as a decent income.

Guess they need to look at it as marketing, and hope the spotify exposure generates ticket and merch sales.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Guess they need to look at it as marketing, and hope the spotify exposure generates ticket and merch sales.

They do.  That's all they have left.   In the old days bands toured to promote album sales.  These days they release albums to promote shows and t shirt sales.

I've been a touring musician.  It's a hard life.  I gave it up long ago.  Feel sorry for anybody at it now and hope they can make enough for food and shelter let alone millions.

• Huggy Bear 1

26 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

So your pretty informed, what is the EXACT difference in pay between sites... curious does everyond get paid the same?

Also how much money did people make on the radio in the 70's?

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

They do.  That's all they have left.   In the old days bands toured to promote album sales.  These days they release albums to promote shows and t shirt sales.

I've been a touring musician.  It's a hard life.  I gave it up long ago.  Feel sorry for anybody at it now and hope they can make enough for food and shelter let alone millions.

The landscape has definitely changed, but kids still dream big, and artists as a whole are always aware of how difficult it is for them to reach the top. It's just the reality of the starving artist.

I was also somewhat of a touring musician in my youth, but it only took a few "tours" of BC dive bars for me to recognize how long the road ahead would be, and how I really didn't wanna fucking do it. I spent far more than I ever earned, but I regret nothing. It's fun to look back on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

So your pretty informed, what is the EXACT difference in pay between sites... curious does everyond get paid the same?

I was in it in the 80's not 70's but radio royalties have pretty much unchanged since then and you can still do very well if you get enough airplay.

I suggest Google to investigate various streaming rates.  I was out of the game before streaming even existed.  You'll see the rates suck unless you are streamed as often as somebody like Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran.  

5 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

https://soundcamps.com/blog/spotify-links-how-to-share-your-music/

Sorry rob eh... boy... this the best i can do...

I'll get the app, i should have gotten it already.

My old mac book, its almost ten year old.

Maybe you would go fund me so i can get a new one and some nice studio gear.

I'll give you a cut of my spotify sells, of course.

11 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

On YouTube, you need at least 1,000 followers and 4,000 hours of views in the last year before they will monetize you. Thats why Youtube is all reaction videos and social media influencers while musicians get nothing. You'd need to listen to a lot of 3 minute songs. A dweeb talking about video games makes money because there are droves of people that watch it. It's the same reason there are 500 Canucks and hockey accounts. 

It's also why politics are so polarized now, the left and right can grift for easy money, especially if they talk about Trump.

• Like 1

image.png.e52e5c8c48167b5015d37d6717a24278.png

For the sake of the folks for whom spotify links break their shit: lets play nice and try not to gum up the works with spotify links. Seems reasonable. Not a hard rule, but asking nicely that @MidKnight Ego acquiesce to this request, at least for now. I will read up on why spotify mucks things up in the meantime and see if there is a better fix. 

16 hours ago, Satchmo said:

a guy that used to drive for me was the drummer in this really decent band, they had a contract, put out an album, got 250k advance (in theory) and a tour up and down the eastern seaboard in support of the album: at the end of the tour they owed the record company money...any wonder he gave it up?

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

image.png.e52e5c8c48167b5015d37d6717a24278.png

For the sake of the folks for whom spotify links break their shit: lets play nice and try not to gum up the works with spotify links. Seems reasonable. Not a hard rule, but asking nicely that @MidKnight Ego acquiesce to this request, at least for now. I will read up on why spotify mucks things up in the meantime and see if there is a hey i was foing that

And @Optimist Prime

Thanks for singling me out again... 

Btw kind of hard for me to follow rules, when some angry spicy person is huling insults and demands like they own the place... 

And if you noticed i did everything this guy asked except resubmit my own links...

Play nice people, and dont think so bad of everybody..

• Huggy Bear 3

1 minute ago, MidKnight Ego said:

And @Optimist Prime

Thanks for singling me out again... 

Btw kind of hard for me to follow rules, when some angry spicy person is huling insults and demands like they own the place... 

And if you noticed i did everything this guy asked except resubmit my own links...

Play nice people, and dont think so bad of everybody..

if you find something against the rules, use the report feature like everybody else. Thanks for helping Rob Eh out with his request, much appreciated.

They still do Socan?

I used to get a little bit from them and a yearly cheque from the Phonograph Record Manufacturers' Special Payments Fund ( had to look that name up, been quite a while).

Had a cup of coffee in the 90's, signed to A&M Records Canada. It was before all this streaming stuff. 

Toured a lot. Best days of my life. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They still do Socan?

I used to get a little bit from them and a yearly cheque from the Phonograph Record Manufacturers' Special Payments Fund ( had to look that name up, been quite a while).

Had a cup of coffee in the 90's, signed to A&M Records Canada. It was before all this streaming stuff. 

Toured a lot. Best days of my life. 

I probably missed it in the music threads, but any links to some of your work? I listen any and all music all day long every day, love to check it out. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Still waiting for the bishop leak 

We had a cup of coffee.

If we were an NHL player, I would think...maybe....Dean Malkoc?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I probably missed it in the music threads, but any links to some of your work? I listen any and all music all day long every day, love to check it out. 

Sorry it was so long ago and want to keep anonymous.

We have our videos on youtube but my real name is tagged...so

Anyway, we were mid 90's Vancouver heavy band. Played the Town Pump, Starfish Room, Commodore a bunch...

Toured Canada 6 times and the States twice.

We once drove from Austin Texas to Regina straight!...massive booking screw up..still I loved the road life. 

I wonder how Socan works now, with all the streaming...I am such a luddite about it.

Edit: I have some songs I recorded in another band 20 years ago, but never released. I am actually singing in this project( was the drummer in the A&M band).

One day I will put some of them on youtube, I want to do some art visuals to them, I am quite proud of the songs and would like to set them free. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sorry it was so long ago and want to keep anonymous.

We have our videos on youtube but my real name is tagged...so

Anyway, we were mid 90's Vancouver heavy band. Played the Town Pump, Starfish Room, Commodore a bunch...

Toured Canada 6 times and the States twice.

We once drove from Austin Texas to Regina straight!...massive booking screw up..still I loved the road life. 

We managed to pay our bar tab a few times.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1