The Winnipeg Jets are the best?

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, the bones of a good team were always there, they've been a little disappointing the past couple seasons but they've also only missed the playoffs once since 17-18 and they're on track to make it again. 

Jets have been good enough to make the playoffs for a while, it's the playoffs that they've struggled with, but they've been good enough to be in the mix. Could be the year they go deep again, they may have done more last season if they hadn't run into Vegas in the first round. 

It is strange to see people here criticize Edmonton for their postseason failures while avoiding the Jets' monumental playoff collapses every year.  Largely the same team (minus Wheeler and PLD) that blew a tire (as expected) and showed "no pushback" last April.  It is crazy that the best team in the NHL can't fill its own stadium.

image.png.500a9a06d83792eb33eb4bc6d10c2422.png

52 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It is strange to see people here criticize Edmonton for their postseason failures while avoiding the Jets' monumental playoff collapses every year.  Largely the same team (minus Wheeler and PLD) that blew a tire (as expected) and showed "no pushback" last April.  It is crazy that the best team in the NHL can't fill its own stadium.

image.png.500a9a06d83792eb33eb4bc6d10c2422.png

I think some of it is that Winnipeg isn't shoved in anyone's face the way Edmonton has been, in fact they're probably the least likely Canadian team to get widespread coverage, it's either them or Ottawa imo

Winnipeg has generally been more likeable too, when they've been good they've appeared well built despite their inability to have playoff success 

If Edmonton didn't have McDavid, who is shoved in our faces the way Crosby and Ovi were when they were younger, folks might cut them more slack

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I think some of it is that Winnipeg isn't shoved in anyone's face the way Edmonton has been, in fact they're probably the least likely Canadian team to get widespread coverage, it's either them or Ottawa imo

Winnipeg has generally been more likeable too, when they've been good they've appeared well built despite their inability to have playoff success 

If Edmonton didn't have McDavid, who is shoved in our faces the way Crosby and Ovi were when they were younger, folks might cut them more slack

A couple thoughts here, including one that won't be popular.

First one is regarding WPG.  They are weird team that does not have the confidence of its own fanbase.  Jets have some of the most passionate fans and even they're hesitant about this team.  Last all-star break, Winnipeg looked amazing.  Thefm following months, they limped their way into the playoffs and got blasted by Vegas.  Bowness went on the "no pushback" tirade and Wheeler/Scheifele got defensive about it.  The whole mutiny between players/coach played out in front of the media - it was insane.  A year later, and Bowness is surprisingly still in charge, and they're in a similar position that they were in last January.

Two years before, the Jets also got clobbered by Montreal.  They looked absolutely pathetic, and it was noted by Scheifele's infamous hit on Jake Evans.  Of course, he was defensive about the suspension too, trying to justify his actions.  That hit completely soured my opinion of him as a player.  I don't think he's particularly dirty but I don’t respect him and I hate how he never takes accountability in his interviews.  He was petulant then, and he was petulant last May also.  No surprise Lowry got the 'C' ahead of him.

As for why WPG gets so much slack here?  The easy answer is lack of media exposure and the fact their team is built from the goaltender outward.  Toronto and Edmonton are built from the forwards down.  It's old school versus new school, and this forum is full of old people.

Which brings me to my controversial take.  I find Canucks fans here irritating.  They have a massive inferiority complex that manifests itself whenever the Oilers and Leafs are mentioned in the media.  They can't seem to stand the fact Canadian media favours the superstars of the NHL. No shit.  McDavid is the best player in the league.  Matthews is the best scorer in the league.  But on any given night... McDavid scores 3?  "Oh he's a diver and a whiner he'll never win anything".  Matthews scores 3?  "Oh he's a regular season champ he'll never amount to anything in the playoffs".  It's always the same crap.  In any other sport, if some athlete goes off and puts up crazy numbers in the regular season, it is acknowledged.  But here with those two teams, it always goes straight to "haha no cups". 

I think part of the inferiority complex comes from them having some of the best players (thanks to good lottery odds which we've never had), but also the fact that we almost never make the playoffs.  In recent years, Vancouver has been deemed a top-heavy team not unlike TOR and EDM, but the difference is that unlike them, we have typically been regular season LOSERS.  How can a Canucks fan from this decade ridicule Edmonton or Toronto when our team doesn't even make it past the first hurdle?  This forum has barely reconciled with the fact that Benning was one of the worst GMs in NHL history - they're too busy pointing the finger at other teams.  It was pathetic.  And now that the Canucks are doing well again, everyone gets angry whenever a new article from Toronto isn't kissing our asses.  New cup odds don't have us at the top?  Who cares??

On 1/8/2024 at 5:18 PM, Miss Korea said:

A couple thoughts here, including one that won't be popular.

First one is regarding WPG.  They are weird team that does not have the confidence of its own fanbase.  Jets have some of the most passionate fans and even they're hesitant about this team.  Last all-star break, Winnipeg looked amazing.  Thefm following months, they limped their way into the playoffs and got blasted by Vegas.  Bowness went on the "no pushback" tirade and Wheeler/Scheifele got defensive about it.  The whole mutiny between players/coach played out in front of the media - it was insane.  A year later, and Bowness is surprisingly still in charge, and they're in a similar position that they were in last January.

Two years before, the Jets also got clobbered by Montreal.  They looked absolutely pathetic, and it was noted by Scheifele's infamous hit on Jake Evans.  Of course, he was defensive about the suspension too, trying to justify his actions.  That hit completely soured my opinion of him as a player.  I don't think he's particularly dirty but I don’t respect him and I hate how he never takes accountability in his interviews.  He was petulant then, and he was petulant last May also.  No surprise Lowry got the 'C' ahead of him.

As for why WPG gets so much slack here?  The easy answer is lack of media exposure and the fact their team is built from the goaltender outward.  Toronto and Edmonton are built from the forwards down.  It's old school versus new school, and this forum is full of old people.

Which brings me to my controversial take.  I find Canucks fans here irritating.  They have a massive inferiority complex that manifests itself whenever the Oilers and Leafs are mentioned in the media.  They can't seem to stand the fact Canadian media favours the superstars of the NHL. No shit.  McDavid is the best player in the league.  Matthews is the best scorer in the league.  But on any given night... McDavid scores 3?  "Oh he's a diver and a whiner he'll never win anything".  Matthews scores 3?  "Oh he's a regular season champ he'll never amount to anything in the playoffs".  It's always the same crap.  In any other sport, if some athlete goes off and puts up crazy numbers in the regular season, it is acknowledged.  But here with those two teams, it always goes straight to "haha no cups". 

I think part of the inferiority complex comes from them having some of the best players (thanks to good lottery odds which we've never had), but also the fact that we almost never make the playoffs.  In recent years, Vancouver has been deemed a top-heavy team not unlike TOR and EDM, but the difference is that unlike them, we have typically been regular season LOSERS.  How can a Canucks fan from this decade ridicule Edmonton or Toronto when our team doesn't even make it past the first hurdle?  This forum has barely reconciled with the fact that Benning was one of the worst GMs in NHL history - they're too busy pointing the finger at other teams.  It was pathetic.  And now that the Canucks are doing well again, everyone gets angry whenever a new article from Toronto isn't kissing our asses.  New cup odds don't have us at the top?  Who cares??

They def stumbled down the stretch last season, looked like a top team and somehow fumbled their way in, and just barely. But they've been a playoff team for a while throughout some ups and downs, wonder if shipping a couple guys out might end up having been better for their team culture. It was messy, I hope things end up being better, maybe some stability would draw fans in. 

I was a bit surprised they brought Scheifele back, but top guys can be hard to find. I'm more surprised Helle stayed. 

I dunno, I like Winnipeg and I've liked how they've been built prior to the past couple seasons. They looked like a top team, just couldn't get it done. Big, skilled, but not overly dirty. 

I don't disagree with you, Canucks fans can be annoying, and I am a Canucks fan. I don't like the Leafs or the Oilers, they're my two least favourite teams, but I'm willing to recognize and acknowledge skill. I won't cheer for either team, but I'm not going to whine about them either for the most part. Do I expect either team to win a cup any time soon? No. But I don't expect us to win one either. Playoff disappointments or not, at least they've made the playoffs while we spun our wheels in mediocrity as a capped out team. Some folks absolutely let their hatred kind of mess with their lens so to speak. 

We are a top heavy team to this day, all one has to do is look at our point production. Difference is this year Demko's been better and we have a management group that's actually placed some emphasis on defense. We have something resembling depth too, but we're still top heavy. There's quite a drop off after Hughes, Hronek, Boeser, Miller, and Pettersson. Not sure Tochett will be a long-term coach or whether we'll be a consistent top team, but coaches are hired to be fired and at least we've seemingly taken a step forward. Making the playoffs alone is a success given the past decade, but I fully expect us to be bounced in the first or second round. That ain't me being a pessimist, it's just unlikely we'll return to the playoffs and waltz straight to a conference or cup final, most teams have to beat their heads against the playoff wall before getting that far. 

Mind you, I also take a less Canuck-centric view than some folks. Used to be a diehard homer but it got old, I've actually enjoyed hockey more as I've paid more attention to other teams around the league over the years. This coincided with time where the Canucks were mediocre at best, but it is what it is. The Canucks are my team but that doesn't mean I have to hate everyone else or view everything through blue tinted glasses.