[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ New York Rangers | Jan 8th, 2024 @ 4PM PST

futurefilm

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

At what cost though?

A 1st and a prospect or two is what I'd be willing to do for someone who puts us over the top for this year and next. 

33 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

You’re right about the seniors thinking they’re special and being ignorant. You handled the idiot well, especially after such a trying day 

My family went to a BCHL (junior A) game over the holidays. It was in an arena we had never been in. Six of us had seats two or three rows above the home bench. 

My son asked if it would be okay to take his boy to the washroom mid period.
I said “Of course, do what ever you need to do.”

We had six seats on the aisle so the two of them getting up didn’t disturb anyone. Then as he nears the top of the aisle stairs with his child in tow some miserable old prick tells him to sit down while a bunch of them are all glaring at him. 

Turns out this seating section had the local fossilized super fans over 70 fan club. 

The cheap bastards valued their discounted $15 Junior A tickets so much they were happy to humiliate a young man and his boy who may have momentarily obscured their view while trying to get to the washroom. 

You know the type; miserable scowls on their face and ensconced in cheap fan regalia… team scarves, pins, hats and matching seat pads for their decrepit asses. 

Ruined the game experience for my son and his boy. I felt bad because I had assured him it would be fine. 

All for a friggin Junior A hockey game in a two bit arena with old assholes who have forgotten the whole idea is to have fun. 

If I ever go back I know where to find them. 

Way to generalize. Ok, all the seniors are assholes and all the young ones are incredible human beings 🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

A 1st and a prospect or two is what I'd be willing to do for someone who puts us over the top for this year and next. 

A 1st and a prospect should net a top 4 D or 2nd C. Who do you think is a viable candidate?

1 minute ago, RomanPer said:

Way to generalize. Ok, all the seniors are assholes and all the young ones are incredible human beings 🙂 

Most people are decent folks, lots of good canucks fans. There are young jerks too, but there a lot of entitled older ones who think they can be jerks because of their age. I'm sure they were always jerks though.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

My son and his boy took the brunt of it. 
I’ve learned in life that these things can escalate badly and are best left alone. No one wins if you react badly. 

We agreed that next time we would take seats in sections that were clearly not domineered by the miserable. 

Ain't "privileged" people grand? :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

----

Going to post this here. I really wish guys, especially older guys, would stop being assholes. There's endless examples of it towards women but plenty of times guys are jerks to other guys. Specifically calling out guys over 40 who think they have some right to be a jerk.

So i'm in the line for food at the devil's game. I'm tired. I barely sleep before travel anyway and was up by 6am, sorting out my dog and house (my wife has covid so have been taking care of all last week while working at home, have only left my dog one other night since he was sick last year) and had the spent the entire day with my daughter navigating the metro, getting snowed on, working out amtrak and new jersey railways. I had made a lot of reservations at places but it wasn't easy to find where to go. My daughter isn't the best walker but she did it all but was complaining about her feet in the food line so i took her order so she could go sit down.

I'm in the line, no idea how it works. It's moving slow. Three younger women in front of me talk to the counter staff and get drinks. There is another counter staff who i go to order from but she walks off. The guy in line next to me then grabs food from a shelf. As i go to get it some guy in the line shouts "you're holding up the line" in a smartass way. I get my food and then order drinks and he's still yammering. I pay, tap thing wasn't working so he's yammering more and so i insert card and get my stuff. Way out he's still yammering and i see him in a canucks jersey. I said something like "take it easy" and went to my seats.

Had a great night otherwise but one old jerk who was a canucks fan decided to get his laugh at a younger guy. I'm also short so another reason why he heckled me. Just wish old guys like him had some empathy at times.

I did see him in the hotel lobby when i exited the next day. He was clueless as to who i was and while a part of me dreamed of accidentally body-checked him i just let the old jerk go about his morning.

yeah if i was there in a canucks jersey I would have heckled you too. WEAR YOUR COLORS PEOPLE!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I am 60 years old and I am the nicest guy in the world😀. Not all older folks are jerks, and not all younger guys are saints. 

I’m 63 years old and have a sense of common decency, manners and self awareness. I’ve passed these social skills into my children.

You’re right, not all are jerks however many are when they think their ‘privileges’ have been infringed upon. 

Anyone that needs to belittle people trying to look after children, especially in public, is an asshole. 

The old ones can be the worst as they act so entitled in their miserable lives. 

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Only guy shorter than 6' is QH. 

I saw someone suggest putting QH as petey's winger, then we could have Jewels in the linup still... Would that not be awesome!

4 minutes ago, Tusk said:

yeah if i was there in a canucks jersey I would have heckled you too. WEAR YOUR COLORS PEOPLE!

I was wearing a canucks shirt. Why does that matter?

You sound like a jerk. You'd probably heckle me for not singing the Canadian anthem too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

I specified to a particular group of seniors. Read the entire post. If you can’t relate to the story you don’t get  out much. 

Show me where I said young people are all “incredible human beings”.

You’re just making up shit up.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Barnstorm said:

I specified to a particular group of seniors. Read the entire post. If you can’t relate to the story you don’t get  out much. 

Show me where I said young people are all “incredible human beings”.

You’re just making up shit up.

we are just getting ready for the game which cannot start too soon.... Its all in good fun please dont be offended anyone. Said an old jerk.

• Like 1

Just now, Tusk said:

we are just getting ready for the game which cannot start too soon.... Its all in good fun please dont be offended anyone. Said an old jerk.

See it's not. Same as the asshole in the line who's "joke" was the only damn negative in my night. Same as your post here. You're proving my point about old entitled jerks.

You'd probably heckle me about the anthem too except I'm not Canadian. There's canucks fans worldwide so quit assuming your jokes are universal. 

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Tusk said:

My post, which you quoted, was clearly referring to @RomanPer .

When did he or she ask you to represent them on this board?

Best that you speak for yourself not “we”.

46 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

My son and his boy took the brunt of it. 
I’ve learned in life that these things can escalate badly and are best left alone. No one wins if you react badly. 

We agreed that next time we would take seats in sections that were clearly not domineered by the miserable. 

Sorry that happened to you all. Sucks when you're only out for a good time. I find these types of incidents are good opportunities to create dialogue and educate young ones about appropriate and inappropriate behavior. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Barnstorm said:

My post, which you quoted, was clearly referring to @RomanPer .

When did he or she ask you to represent them on this board?

Best that you speak for yourself not “we”.

I guess I didnt see that but because I am an old Jerk I felt included in your conversation.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Sorry that happened to you all. Sucks when you're only out for a good time. I find these types of incidents are good opportunities to create dialogue and educate young ones about appropriate and inappropriate behavior. 

Appreciate your empathy and wise words. 

That’s exactly what I did with the situation,  I explained that people forget that the game is all about fun, even the players are having fun. We were all there for fun. People lose sight of that. Same reason I’m here, fun and sharing experiences.

I also explained that we were lucky to be not the sort that would let a small disruption in our sight lines upset us. Going through life like that isn’t healthy. 

• Cheers 3

This is a preview of the SC Finals this year or next.

We meet Boston in the finals this year or next.

Double redemption ghosts of 94 and 11 exorcised.

Ya I said it remember this post in June!!!

• ThereItIs 1

Never thought we'd be in the position to be sad to see N Juulsen scratched. But that's just how much better he has been playing man kids helped out a lot this season. The last month or so he's been great with Cole just being a great 2nd pair D. See how he And general Zad do to ight

• Like 1