One of the biggest Contributing factors to the Canucks success (giving credit where it is Due to the one guy most of you would probably never expect from me)

On 1/8/2024 at 11:00 AM, CanuckFanForever said:

I still don't think he is the right coach for this team and at the same time still hold the believe that Tocchet could and probably will be a good/great coach down the road. He's just not the guy IMO for this team right now. If the Team was younger and EP40 and Hughes where still on their ELC's then damn right bring him on. 

You're correct man.....would love to have Torts back....or real good Willy.  Maybe clear out the assistant bums too.  

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I can say this as I have been on many teams in sports and have been really bad to same team going undefeated across Vancouver.

First coach was like RT demanding and demanded fitness first.

Well second coach came in and within a couple years we were the top team as his approach was friendly but at the same time called us out on everything.

I say yes a hard coach teaches you but a more friendly guy once you know your role you want to win for.

The thing about RT (and his assistants) is that he's improved the team in multiple facets.  The fitness factor was huge (and necessary).......all one needs to do is look back at the 2010/11 team to see how fast and non-stop they were.  Exciting hockey for the fans and team fitness was a huge reason for that entertainment.

The systems are really different though.  Having 2 guys forechecking and the emphasis on puck possession has led to a lot more turnovers and hemming teams in their own zone more.  The new roster is an obvious improvement, but seeing guys join the club and not look out of sorts for the first 10 games is great.  Lastly, seeing multiple players make huge improvements within a season is a fantastic sign that the coaches (not just RT) are supporting the players more than ever.  Juulson, Myers, Hoglander, Joshua.....the list goes on with guys that look more organized, confident and composed.  So I think the coaching staff are hitting many buttons correctly and it would be incomplete to simply label RT as demanding and fitness-focused.

JR's impact on this team has been huge though and likely the biggest factor in the rapid turnaround.....for all of the mistakes Benning made, his biggest was thinking he was right and didn't need a bigger team of brains around him.  The coaching and management team has never been so robust and it's paying dividends. JR's approach to overhaul from the top down leading to the results we're seeing so quickly is something that may stand out as one of his more impressive achievements in an already amazing career......despite his current age.

On 1/8/2024 at 3:24 PM, CanuckFanForever said:

I think we could both agree that Alain Vigneault is a great coach.

Go take a deep dive into his past. It looks very similar to that of Tocchet up to the point of where Tocchet is now. However

Alain came to the Canucks when the core of the 2011 cup run wasn't even established. In the First year for Alain he made the playoffs his record was 49-26-7 and lost in semifinals. The next year they missed the playoffs. In O6-07 was Kesler's 3rd season and 2nd as a full time regular. 06-07 Burrows 2nd season. 06-07 the Sedin's became the top scores of the Canucks the year before Naslund. 06-07 was Bieksa's 2nd season. The 3rd and forth line depth of the 2011 wasn't yet traded or signed for yet. 

The timing of Alain's hiring was good because he was inexperienced when he was hired but the Core of the team had not been established it. This current season the core is established the depth has been traded for or signed as free agents the window is now 1-4 years. Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty all UFA's and not all of them are coming back. EP40 is going to sign the largest deal in franchise history (less cap space going forward). As the team makes the playoffs are draft position get worse who replaces Boeser or Kuz, Mikheyev if they don't work out or re-sign them. There is lots of talk about Lekkerimaki but to be NHL ready he still has 2-4 years. UFA signing mean paying a premium.

So yeah if Tocchet can coach playoff runs and get this team a lot of experience quickly then he is a miracle worker. But the truth is coach's of his experience level historical don't win cups it takes time which the Canucks don't have.  The Core is established it is here and now and we have heard the core players say that they want to win now and i think the fans do it.

Does it help the upper management has his back YES. Did he do a good thing last year by demanding good fitness, YES. Does that make him a great coach NO. Why because great coaches only prove they are great coaches when they achieve something that matters.

AV isn't great because he didn't win the Cup he is great because he Coach to separate teams to the Stanley Cup Final, Won back to back President's Trophies with the same team. Those are the Achievement they put banners in Arenas for.

So I throw the question back at you, What achievements as a Head Coach has Tocchet done that makes him a great coach. Or the right coach for this team a team that needs to gain the experience to be winners in the playoffs.

Tell us, what coach, the Canucks should hire.   Please not Babcock.   AV never won a cup. 

Edited by IBatch