PGT - Canucks at Ringers - 01/08/24

PhillipBlunt

2 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Our D played a great game and will only just get better - kuzz played a much simpler game and played safe hockey - ya Brock was the more sloppy one…

maybe cuz they had a tougher matchup? 
im guilty of being critical but at the same time you can never grow complacent in competitive sports 

Trocheck was their Garland tonight. He was driving their play and was not going to be denied, tip your hat kinda.

Personally I would have had someone knock him on his ass. Git!!

Overall our team defense held the fort and helped Demmer out back there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Was watching the NY broadcast and they were very complimentary. 
‘Man the forecheck was flying last night. They were going in waves. 
Other than a really ugly giveaway by Brock that would have sat Kuz for a week it was almost a perfect game. 

Other than that giveaway, Brock was excellent last night. Not only offensively, but noticed a lot of great work defensively, breaking up numerous plays.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

The Lotto line essentially makes the Canucks a one line team. I know the Garland line will be productive but it also means the Canucks won't have a very effective 2nd line. 

Problem now is that teams will simply just adjust to shutdown the Lotto line. In theory a 2nd like with Mikheyev and Kuzmenko is pretty good but the line also lacks a true 2nd line center and Kuzmenko is still not on Tocchet's good side. 

That's why I asked if they're now looking for a legit 2C rental, rather than a winger for Petey.  Can they use kuz as an asset and promote from within without losing much?

Lotto line

Hogz Rental 2C Mik

Joshua Blu Gar

Laff Suter Karlsson/PodZ

Aman

Looks like Pettersson is back in business! Was tough to watch him play through what I assume was an injury, since we all knew he had this level play in him. Very happy with the entire team, I counted 0 passengers last night and all of our players driving the play, looking composed, methodical, and at a high tempo. Very hard to stop this team when they're playing like this! 🔥

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Other than that giveaway, Brock was excellent last night. Not only offensively, but noticed a lot of great work defensively, breaking up numerous plays.

He was.  Just a bad gaffe. He was all over, in the corners, playing with pace. His turn around this year just from an effort standpoint has been remarkable. 

• Cheers 2

The Lotto line essentially makes the Canucks a one line team. I know the Garland line will be productive but it also means the Canucks won't have a very effective 2nd line. 

Problem now is that teams will simply just adjust to shutdown the Lotto line. In theory a 2nd like with Mikheyev and Kuzmenko is pretty good but the line also lacks a true 2nd line center and Kuzmenko is still not on Tocchet's good side. 

Teams can adjust  but then we go back to Petey centering the other line. Theres always a Ying to that Yang.  I am sure Alvin is looking for another C if he can get one without giving up the farm. Theres not much wrong with this team at this time. If you cant trust the Gm after this season you arent paying attention

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Teams can adjust  but then we go back to Petey centering the other line. Theres always a Ying to that Yang.  I am sure Alvin is looking for another C if he can get one without giving up the farm. Theres not much wrong with this team at this time. If you cant trust the Gm after this season you arent paying attention

IMHAO there are fans (a lot maybe?) who are still suffering from PBSD. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO there are fans (a lot maybe?) who are still suffering from PBSD. 

with our history Alf i know why people have a hard time believing we are contenders. but i think you can feel this building into something special. Its been a long time since i can say we are maybe one player away from being the favorite. We have all the pieces right now. Vezina calibre goaltending. Depth on D including a Norris candidate in Hughes. scoring including top 10 scoring Miller Petey Boeser. Depth on forward and a tenacious bottom 6 that can score as well. One thing i knew in 2011 was our bottom 6 could outscore most teams bottom 6 and not get scored on at the same time. This looks like it is happening again.Garland Joshua Aman Hoglander making believers in this group. We knew we had special players in Petey Hughes and Miller. Now the rest of the team has come along for the ride. If i was looking for the final piece i would want a top faceoff winning center to add to the second line. Starting with the puck in our own end on the PK or starting with it in their end on the PP would be the finishing touch. Miller is great in the circle but he cant be on the ice all the time.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

That absolutely becomes the metric you start thinking about. 

Truly do think, that our ability to come back after a loss, is going to give any team we play in the post season fits.    Even NJ.   Aside from our depth and D-core developing and paying dividends, believe it could be our superpower.    Know we just won two in a row, against good teams,  we've been doing that all season as well... 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

For good reason a lot of the time. Usually it's laziness on the medias part. I've lived out east, the lack of coverage or interest about things here is real.

There is a jealousy in central Canada of our climate and how beautiful a region we live in. When they can retire, and if they can afford it, they move here. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

For good reason a lot of the time. Usually it's laziness on the medias part. I've lived out east, the lack of coverage or interest about things here is real.

if anyone out west still watches TSN its brutal. The opening of their sportscenter could be 

Canucks score 10 against Stars

Kings plane goes down in Florida

Flames trade their entire team to devils but lets get out to Scotiabank center and see what the Leafs are doing on their day off. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

The blackouts are the worst thing, so that's coverage, don't have any issue with the Ottawa media, they've had a secret crush on Vancouver since I moved back East, the peak Sedin era made a lot of Canuck fans in Ottawa.   It's tamed a little, but you will still hear "Go Canuck Go" chants in their building.   And a lot of jerseys (used to be a lot of blue ... now it's about 50/50 black and blue).  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

There is a jealousy in central Canada of our climate and how beautiful a region we live in. When they can retire, and if they can afford it, they move here. 

Been like that since I was a kid.   We moved to the Island in 78 from the Kootenays..knew 20k or so folks by the time I left, through my business, and yes I worked for mostly rich folks who moved from all over Canada.   CAL and WNP, and ONT mostly. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The blackouts are the worst thing, so that's coverage, don't have any issue with the Ottawa media, they've had a secret crush on Vancouver since I moved back East, the peak Sedin era made a lot of Canuck fans in Ottawa.   It's tamed a little, but you will still hear "Go Canuck Go" chants in their building.   And a lot of jerseys (used to be a lot of blue ... now it's about 50/50 black and blue).  

It's not the fans I have any issues with, it's the lazy ass media. Looking for the Sportsnet highlights today on YouTube and it says "jan 8 Canucks vs Bruins" they can f off.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Refs jut put that whistle away. To be honest we put up 6 at 5 on 5. Id take that kind of game anytime.

For sure.

It was brutal seeing some obvious ones go uncalled though, especially when the refs were still willing to blow the whistle against us.  If they had only called it when Hronek got high-sticked, or the elbow in the third that got Aman (I think it was him), I would have been happy. I know they let some of our stuff go, too, so I wasn't looking for much.  Especially after how our other game against the Rangers ended.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, Kragar said:

For sure.

It was brutal seeing some obvious ones go uncalled though, especially when the refs were still willing to blow the whistle against us.  If they had only called it when Hronek got high-sticked, or the elbow in the third that got Aman (I think it was him), I would have been happy. I know they let some of our stuff go, too, so I wasn't looking for much.  Especially after how our other game against the Rangers ended.

I think it was a great game between two very good teams. Im  glad the refs weren't the deciding factor. in all honesty one of the things you could be negative lately is the lack of power play success. Id rather we win with 6 goals put up at 5 on 5 than have a power play duel where we dont produce.  i was happy with the Refs this game. no major controversies. 

11 hours ago, Tusk said:

Well why does Brock and JT have to make Petey better? Petey is supposed to be making Mik and Kuz better.

In that case, maybe Tocc should try JT on a line with Mik and Kuz.  Do you think he would sustain

his point totals with those linemates?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

In that case, maybe Tocc should try JT on a line with Mik and Kuz.  Do you think he would sustain

his point totals with those linemates?

yep. Its worth a try to get Mik and Kuzy going.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Tusk said:

yep. Its worth a try to get Mik and Kuzy going.

Wishful thinking, Tusk. If it was that easy, it would have be tried before.  Fact is, if you play good

players with other good players, they get better.  The Lotto Line is nailing it right now with 16pts

in 2 games.  All 3 players have elevated their game playing on that line.

The line of Petey with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev wasn’t that effective though. Definitely not a line that other teams would have a hard time shutting down.

I would argue now we have a legit first line. We always needed another top 6 the only thing that might have changed is we need a center rather than a winger.