PGT - Canucks at Ringers - 01/08/24

PhillipBlunt

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Wishful thinking, Tusk. If it was that easy, it would have be tried before.  Fact is, if you play good

players with other good players, they get better.  The Lotto Line is nailing it right now with 16pts

in 2 games.  All 3 players have elevated their game playing on that line.

16 points in 2 games. Wow!

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The line of Petey with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev wasn’t that effective though. Definitely not a line that other teams would have a hard time shutting down.

I would argue now we have a legit first line. We always needed another top 6 the only thing that might have changed is we need a center rather than a winger.

I agree.  Mik has never been considered a top 6 player and Kuzy has taken a nose dive this

season.  I don't know how long they can keep the Lotto Line together, when there's such

a deficit of top 6 players on the 2nd line. Suter line handled it well last night, but can that be

expected of them every game?

Absolutely need another top 6 C that can play both C/W.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Was watching the NY broadcast and they were very complimentary. 
‘Man the forecheck was flying last night. They were going in waves. 
Other than a really ugly giveaway by Brock that would have sat Kuz for a week it was almost a perfect game. 

Nhl credited Canucks with only 1 give away - good eye 

nhl said rangers had 13 giveaways …

”Structure”

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Malibu said:

Suter and Blueger are a big reason we are where we are imo.

If they want to keep the Lotto line going, neither of those two are second line centers. I really like their games and they are a big reason for the success so far this year. That #2 center is going to cost a lot to get, which makes me think EP has to play center at some point. Toffoli would be a good add to play on his wing.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

It's not the fans I have any issues with, it's the lazy ass media. Looking for the Sportsnet highlights today on YouTube and it says "jan 8 Canucks vs Bruins" they can f off.

It's not all bad.   It's been the East vs West since I was a kid.    Loved the all-star games back then, that was the best format ever.    Getting to watch Borque and Potvin, versus Coffey and Lowe or whomever...Bossy versus Gretzky.    The West was the bomb in the 80's.     Don't mind the rivalry at all.  

8 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Pretty clever of Tocchet to unite the lotto line when he did. Timing is everything. 

Most challenging trip of the season and a critical point in both standings and timeline. 
I’m not sure when 649 last played together however it’s safe to say Tocchet caught both the Devils and the Rangers off guard. They hadn’t scouted them and  weren’t prepared to manage them.

Now we meet the Islanders with full confidence in a well rested outstanding goalie … Desmith. 

The team plays well for him knowing he’ll step up as needed. 

We’ve got great coaching and team

management going on.  

Coaching staffs keep books on every single team.    It was smart.  It threw a wrench in whatever plans they had to a degree.   And it was Green who last tried to make a real go of it, and it was so bad, he had to dismantle it and try something else.  

Edit: Balls of steel on Tochett, given we traded Horvat.   Garlands line, made this a possibility.    And going back to the pre-season, a very good 3rd C, who can move up as needed, has been one of the missing ingredients.    They fixed the D.  If Allvin can pull off a trade and add that now...we are in for a serious treat down the stretch and the playoffs as well.   I also think EPs a lot safer on that line than on a line with Ilya Mikheyev and whomever (Kuzmennko).   Miller will be in there gloves off right away when things get nasty.   Even Brock would go there too.   These guys grew up in the game together. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

If they want to keep the Lotto line going, neither of those two are second line centers. I really like their games and they are a big reason for the success so far this year. That #2 center is going to cost a lot to get, which makes me think EP has to play center at some point. Toffoli would be a good add to play on his wing.

Toffoli would be the guy if Pete was to become the center we hope for. I believe Pete will need to stay on the wing with Miller though.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

In that case, maybe Tocc should try JT on a line with Mik and Kuz.  Do you think he would sustain

his point totals with those linemates?

Actually I do.   He did that a couple years ago, playing with virtually anyone and everyone on the team.   Went from an 80 pace to 120 under Bruce.   Was EP on his line then?  Only when he was on an 80 point pace, and Green gave up on that.   

Doesn't matter.    JT Miller, even his harshest critics (well aside from one but wont name that person, it's more about being right no matter what the data says with him), on this site, have admitted they were wrong.    And that we kept the right player.    JT Miller is the closest thing to Linden we've had in a long time.   As in a leader that motivates, and produces.   And produces at a better clip as well.   It's actually a little comical, looking at his linemates, when he scored 99 points.   And what they scored.   He's what you call, a line driver.   EP is a game breaker.  

It's not what power forwards used to look like, but JT Miller is his generations prototype.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Mikeyman109 said:

I think it was a great game between two very good teams. Im  glad the refs weren't the deciding factor. in all honesty one of the things you could be negative lately is the lack of power play success. Id rather we win with 6 goals put up at 5 on 5 than have a power play duel where we dont produce.  i was happy with the Refs this game. no major controversies. 

I'm glad they weren't as well.

I wasnt asking for a power play duel. I was asking for an obvious call to go our way when the Rangers had some go theirs. There was potential for this game to be stolen from us as well, but fortunately our boys held up their end.

This was our best game of the year. It wasn't flawless, but the production and excitement value was huge, especially taking into account the quality of the opponent.

I was worried when the Rangers opened the scoring, but the immediate response by the Lotto Line took the fear away

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Actually I do.   He did that a couple years ago, playing with virtually anyone and everyone on the team.   Went from an 80 pace to 120 under Bruce.   Was EP on his line then?  Only when he was on an 80 point pace, and Green gave up on that.   

Doesn't matter.    JT Miller, even his harshest critics (well aside from one but wont name that person, it's more about being right no matter what the data says with him), on this site, have admitted they were wrong.    And that we kept the right player.    JT Miller is the closest thing to Linden we've had in a long time.   As in a leader that motivates, and produces.   And produces at a better clip as well.   It's actually a little comical, looking at his linemates, when he scored 99 points.   And what they scored.   He's what you call, a line driver.   EP is a game breaker.  

That's an excellent comparison.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

16 points in 2 games. Wow!

Just imagine if Tic-Toc had them together for the whole season ... why they would have been on track to score 656 points collectively

giphy.gif

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That's an excellent comparison.

Thanks!    We are so fortunate, to have both these guys.   JT Miller is one of the best trades i've seen any Canucks GM pull off.    A late first and a 3rd, for a cost controlled guy buried in a depth chart.    If Allvin can do that right now,  I'm going to start looking for what hotels.   Or call some old friends and book their spare room.   In late may early June. 

7 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Also real impressed with that +50 goal differential. No one else is even close to that. The Jets are second at +38 and Bruins third at +28.

Just as impressive is this: 

Also check out the loser points.   I love that we aren't a loser point team.   Tie games come playoff time...are always W's or L's.  Boston versus Van.   Would probably be the ideal scene.  Canucks in 4 exorcism. 

IMG_3602.png

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's not all bad.   It's been the East vs West since I was a kid.    Loved the all-star games back then, that was the best format ever.    Getting to watch Borque and Potvin, versus Coffey and Lowe or whomever...Bossy versus Gretzky.    The West was the bomb in the 80's.     Don't mind the rivalry at all.  

didn't say it was all bad, but there's a distinct lack of effort and/or interest and/or respect when it comes to anything west of TO. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Agreed, if they want 649, they need a legit 2C, even if it's just a rental.  As I said earlier, Adam Henrique might be a good option who might be a little cheaper.  The Canucks have no 2nd pick this year, which will make it tougher to make a deal.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

didn't say it was all bad, but there's a distinct lack of effort and/or interest and/or respect when it comes to anything west of TO. 

No disrespect here.   I've lived it.   I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be.   But agree it exists.   And I like it.   Makes it better.    

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

No disrespect here.   I've lived it.   I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be.   But agree it exists.   And I like it.   Makes it better.    

it does make the Leaves 1st round exits particularly enjoyable, I agree.

Also again, my issue is with the media, not any fans. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed, if they want 649, they need a legit 2C, even if it's just a rental.  As I said earlier, Adam Henrique might be a good option who might be a little cheaper.  The Canucks have no 2nd pick this year, which will make it tougher to make a deal.

Allvin is at least a smart GM who's kept making the required trades when opportunity arrives.   Henrique is a solid target.   Thing is, we don't need to use a second necessarily.   And we could do something somewhat expected at this point.   As in trade Kuzmenko, add something, and then wrap things up with a bow.   

Edit:   Team should be planning on the next four years as far as cap goes.   And will be.   This year and next year, IMO unless our recent picks come in lights out right away (don't expect that at all),  is this current version of this teams best chance.   Like you, and others, I don't think JT Miller is going to keep it up forever.  And I don't think EP is going to be that much better in 2-3 years either.    Hope they give this team right now, a good chance at winning a cup.   It's the following year that needs to be considered as well.   I do think we will have two windows when EP signs.   This one and one later.     Right now, this existing core, is all peaking at the same time, and it should be supported. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it does make the Leaves 1st round exits particularly enjoyable, I agree.

Also again, my issue is with the media, not any fans. 

It's wonderful.   Nothing makes me happier, then watching Ron McLean do his best not to cry on Television.   Cherry was the talent, he was the annoying sidekick.  

Edit:  Unlike others, I don't mind Hrudey.  He saved HNIC after Cherry was given the boot (i'm not getting into that, he offended folks his entire tenure)... Sure Hrudey has his biases as well.   They all do.  We had our own super homer forever, and extremely grateful for his service.   We've also been blessed with some incredible radio and TV broadcasters.   Hrudey was the only guy with a bit of flair and colour, and yes he's interested about goalies that's what he was.   Blue bandana and all.   Nobody, could do the fish out of water better than him as a goalie (flop around).     Don't mind that they play it up a little.   Ferraro.   Not bad either.    Colour is just that.    Better than black and white for sure. 

Edit:  Will say, i'm not happy about print media gone by the wayside.   THN.  They set the bar but it's been bought out and it's fluffy  now.   TSN was a better representation than SN as well.   Miss Bob Mac and Duthie.    At least Bieksa is on our side. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Yeah, but still 4 games in hand. I'll be happy when they lose 2 of those 

Yes agreed, BUT

1) LA still have to win those games in hand and if they do then they are still 1 point behind the Canucks; BUT, BUT I say

2) 3 of those games are against the Canucks ... SO ... if the Canucks win those 3 games then the Kings are 15 points behind us with 4 games in hand and to that I would say

giphy.gif

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 2