PGT - Canucks at Ringers - 01/08/24

PhillipBlunt

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it does make the Leaves 1st round exits particularly enjoyable, I agree.

Also again, my issue is with the media, not any fans. 

Wouldn't it be great, to see an all Canadian final?    Canucks were picked, early on, and still are, the best chance at bringing it home. 

• Jess unpinned and unfeatured this topic
12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Can it be us vs Ottawa?

That would be great.   Not sure Ottawa will climb out of their hole.   But maybe next season.   They need a better goalie for starters.   I think they are a couple years away, but they've done a great job of locking their guys in.    And yes it maybe could be.    

This year, Boston would be the ideal scenario.   Sure would love to see Marchand cry and cry and cry.     

Edit:  As for Ottawa couldn't really care less.  Don't have a second favourite team, and haven't since the 80's.    There was a time no way i'd cheer for an Alberta team to beat us in the early 90's.   But id do that now over a US team.  Except Toronto, unless they play a team that beat us in the Conference Final.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

The line of Petey with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev wasn’t that effective though. Definitely not a line that other teams would have a hard time shutting down.

I would argue now we have a legit first line. We always needed another top 6 the only thing that might have changed is we need a center rather than a winger.

Horvat, a perfect 2nd line center.... jkd

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Can it be us vs Ottawa?

Ok.  Boston versus Canucks would be my first choice.  Only because of Marchand though.

My second choice would be a re-match against the NYR.  

That's to win a cup and serendipity's sake. 

If i really consider it,  Canucks beating TO would be even better.    Watching Ron McLean have a sour puss face, and Bieksa smiling like a Chestire Cat (and then going to

celebrate after with them in the locker room), probably takes the cake.     Remember 94 well, and that was a TO team I highly respected.   After 93.    It's the only one I have since too.  And as a Canucks fan, knew we had them after the first game.    Not going to happen, because they don't have it all like we do.   But it does make for a fun fantasy. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Yeah I know that. That's what I was trying to explain to the other guy. 

I've lived in Manhattan, so I know the area quite well. 

Those guys are playing fantastic. It's great to see the whole team buying into the system and bringing it, more than not. 

Keep it rolling.

Yes spot on...

This is also, why I haven't been overly concerned about Tocchets treatment of Kuzy. 
The players can see the fruit of their labour, and they know they'll play, if they play hard and fast. 

• Cheers 3

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Allvin is at least a smart GM who's kept making the required trades when opportunity arrives.   Henrique is a solid target.   Thing is, we don't need to use a second necessarily.   And we could do something somewhat expected at this point.   As in trade Kuzmenko, add something, and then wrap things up with a bow.   

Edit:   Team should be planning on the next four years as far as cap goes.   And will be.   This year and next year, IMO unless our recent picks come in lights out right away (don't expect that at all),  is this current version of this teams best chance.   Like you, and others, I don't think JT Miller is going to keep it up forever.  And I don't think EP is going to be that much better in 2-3 years either.    Hope they give this team right now, a good chance at winning a cup.   It's the following year that needs to be considered as well.   I do think we will have two windows when EP signs.   This one and one later.     Right now, this existing core, is all peaking at the same time, and it should be supported. 

I don't see the lotto line as a permanent thing,, which is why I think they'll be looking for a pure rental like AH.  The other option is a big trade for a more permanent 2/3C, like an Anthony Cirelli kind of player.

If they went the rental route, they can probably keep Kuz, but if they're looking something long term, kuz will have to be in play

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see the lotto line as a permanent thing,, which is why I think they'll be looking for a pure rental like AH.  The other option is a big trade for a more permanent 2/3C, like an Anthony Cirelli kind of player.

If they went the rental route, they can probably keep Kuz, but if they're looking something long term, kuz will have to be in play

Don't disagree with that.   The only other thing to consider, is that it could take two trades to get where they want to be.   And a month or so inbetween.   We should have a pretty clear idea of where they are going,  after the All-Star break. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Kings might miss the playoffs. They are falling like a rock. 

I don't think they will.  But do think their goaltending, is going to settle down.  

Edit: In other words, they don't have that.

Edited by IBatch

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don't disagree with that.   The only other thing to consider, is that it could take two trades to get where they want to be.   And a month or so inbetween.   We should have a pretty clear idea of where they are going,  after the All-Star break. 

I definitely think it could.  Not having a second pick this makes getting a rental a little tougher.

41 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Yes agreed, BUT

1) LA still have to win those games in hand and if they do then they are still 1 point behind the Canucks; BUT, BUT I say

2) 3 of those games are against the Canucks ... SO ... if the Canucks win those 3 games then the Kings are 15 points behind us with 4 games in hand and to that I would say

giphy.gif

Oh, I’m not bitching, lol. Just not getting too cocky yet. I’m hoping they lose all 4. Yes, we just need to take care of business and beat them, to ensure a large gap remains. Believe me, I’m extremely happy with where we’re at and enjoying every minute of it 😃

Hoping to see them lay a smackdown on Bo and the Isles. Will be a tall order on the back of last night. Pull it off and they are truly “Elite”.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Let’s hope 🤞That would just be wonderful. Is Pouty still there? Or has he moved on. I know nothing about the Kings roster these days.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Snet is replaying the this game. I missed it.

Cool to see Hoglander scoring the same kind of goals he got in Abbotsford a year ago , except vs Stanley cup contenders and one of the best goalies in the world.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Here is Patrick Johnston on December 20th hyping the Kings over the Canucks right at the start of the video 

A few posters here and Drance were also hyping them at the time.

Edited by Blue
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Here is Patrick Johnston on December 20th hyping the Kings over the Canucks right at the start of the video 

The players won’t use schedule as an excuse for struggling but it does for certain affect play. We went through a very tough stretch and came out of it .500 The Kings are in a tough stretch now. And they aren’t doing nearly so well as we did. They don’t have our elite skill guys and don’t have Demko. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm pretty annoyed with some fans here who are singling out and criticizing Kuz despite an amazing game by the ENTIRE team. 

I really liked Soucy game tonight. Made some nice plays and really brought calmness to the D. 

Lately my top 4 would be Hughes Hronek Soucy and Cole. 

Zad has dropped off a bit so he and Myers should be 3rd pairing. 

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

The Lotto line essentially makes the Canucks a one line team. I know the Garland line will be productive but it also means the Canucks won't have a very effective 2nd line. 

Problem now is that teams will simply just adjust to shutdown the Lotto line. In theory a 2nd like with Mikheyev and Kuzmenko is pretty good but the line also lacks a true 2nd line center and Kuzmenko is still not on Tocchet's good side. 

I would like to comment on these two points.

What a lot of people (including me) have been saying about Kuzy, at least for the past two games, is that he had been playing well but is clearly "squeezing his stick" and "not playing with confidence".  I think that is an objective assessment. He has contributed to both wins despite not getting on the scoreboard but, right now, I would say he is the only guy on the team who is playing below expectations. It is not a question of Tocchet's good side or bad side. It is a question of how Kuzy reacts. Tocc has done a great job with Miller, Boeser, Garland, Joshua and Hogs. Kuzy is taking a bit longer but I think he is making progress.

The good news is that if he really does take the next step and combines his offensive skill with solid defensive play that will go a long way toward solving the "one-line problem."

This brings me to the point about a "one-line team". This has been discussed a lot. If that one line is the best line in the league and is scoring at a high rate, I think we can live with that. But if Kuzy can elevate his game to the level I think we believe he can, the Canucks would have a good second line along with maybe the best third line in the league (and don't forget Hoggy on the 4th line).

A lot of people are saying that we "need" a high-end 2C. It would be nice to have one, but they are not easy to get. While Suter is regarded as natural 3C, with two good wingers (Kuzy and Mik) the line could be a very good two-way line that is at least respectable as a second line. 

The combination of arguably the best top line in the league, the best third line in the line, an above-average 4th line, and a respectable second line would be pretty darn good -- better than other other team  in the NHL can muster. (There is a reason the Canucks lead the NHL is scoring and in scoring differential.)

Right now, I would say don't mess with success. If and when other teams do react effectively to the Lotto line, then Tocc can look as other adjustments.

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Ya with the quality of defence, goal tending and forwards we have - as well as high level management, coaching and scouting staffs - this is a legit team on the rise - the wait has been worth it 

It's nice to finally hear people say that.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Yes spot on...

This is also, why I haven't been overly concerned about Tocchets treatment of Kuzy. 
The players can see the fruit of their labour, and they know they'll play, if they play hard and fast. 

Yeah exactly. It's pretty obvious you earn your spot or you don't play. Kuz should be fine.

Tocchet benched JT for the rest of the period to get him to get his head back in the game. 

Nobody should be getting any special treatment. 

It's great to see. 

And where are those "fire Tocchet" guys? 😆

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

He's not taking a pay cut, which is what $10M would be, since he makes more than that this year, and no way be signs for the same money Eichel signed for back in Buffalo. He will also get more than Nylander, because centers get paid more. It's going to be $12M. If the Lotto Line stays together, Petey will be top five, maybe top two in scoring this season. 

I sadly agree this is the likely scenario. 

8 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

The third and fourth can and will score - the second needs a CENTER or just needs to work on chemistry 

I think miky and kuzy are trying to set up each other too much instead of shooting. I could count at least two instances where both should have shot in great position but they passed it to each other 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mordekai said:

I think miky and kuzy are trying to set up each other too much instead of shooting. I could count at least two instances where both should have shot in great position but they passed it to each other 

this exactly shoot the puck

• Cheers 1