Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

14 minutes ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

He had 14 NHL goals as a 19 year old. If you can't see that since then he's been developing and was building that scoring touch in the AHL this year with goals in 4 straight games before a scary concussion... you're out to lunch.

I hope I am. I really do. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Your bias plays into your evaluation... Truth is, there isn't enough data to prove boom or bust.  I just think you're impatient.  You expect a linear progression, and if not, they're trash.  Just glad you have no say either way.  Looking forward to rehashing this differing of opinion in the not to distant future.

Like I said to the other poster. I hope I’m wrong. I don’t hate Podz I just think his ceiling is low. 

17 minutes ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

He had 14 NHL goals as a 19 year old. If you can't see that since then he's been developing and was building that scoring touch in the AHL this year with goals in 4 straight games before a scary concussion... you're out to lunch.

Podkolzin was never 19 in the NHL...he was 20 his entire rookie year.

His rookie draft +3 year was almost identical to Dustin Brown's draft +3 year. I still think that's the player he should be trying to emulate and who he reminds me of in play style. Ultimately Dustin Brown built on that year though whereas Podkolzin took a step back.

Podkolzin is clearly a character guy as evidenced by Larionov naming him captain of the WJC team and has been praised for his work ethic by coaches. I'm not sure if it's partially a language barrier, but it seems Podkolzin gets stuck trying to figure out what the coaching staff wants rather than just playing. Maybe having Gonchar on staff can help translate for him when he gets a call-up. As you pointed out, something did seem to finally click for him in the AHL so hopefully the concussion is only a minor setback.

Regardless of how high his hockey IQ may or may not be, his work ethic and size should make him a pretty solid 3rd liner at the very least 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Like I said to the other poster. I hope I’m wrong. I don’t hate Podz I just think his ceiling is low. 

As far as scoring is concerned.... You very well may be right.  I don't expect him to be a top six scorer.  Assists yes but scoring, probably not.  I hope I'm underestimating.  What I see is a clutch, do all the little things... Tough in the corners, garbage goal, puck support, big timely hits, go to the net.  Relentless, hard to play against player that you need to win championships with.  

Say... Average 25 goals, 35 assists player.

Would you consider a player like that a bust at 10 oa?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

As far as scoring is concerned.... You very well may be right.  I don't expect him to be a top six scorer.  Assists yes but scoring, probably not.  I hope I'm underestimating.  What I see is a clutch, do all the little things... Tough in the corners, garbage goal, puck support, big timely hits, go to the net.  Relentless, hard to play against player that you need to win championships with.  

Any player you draft that plays good two way hockey and can score 60 points would be considered a massive success.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

On 11/21/2023 at 6:40 PM, LaBamba said:

This reminds me of the days when people kept making excuses for Kassian. 

Mufu retired and people still be saying power forwards take longer to develop. 

Hmm. I didn't know Podkolzin gets fucked on coke at a McDon's at 5 AM, and rips on the team that traded for him towards unsuspecting customers....

True story, actually. He grilled the Canucks for making that Hodgson trade, saying that it was a stupid move. 🤣

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

2 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

That’s great and everything but how on earth do you come up with this? Lol. Based on what I’ve seen. He is likely a Russian Curtis Lazar. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Podkolzin was never 19 in the NHL...he was 20 his entire rookie year.

His rookie draft +3 year was almost identical to Dustin Brown's draft +3 year. I still think that's the player he should be trying to emulate and who he reminds me of in play style. Ultimately Dustin Brown built on that year though whereas Podkolzin took a step back.

Podkolzin is clearly a character guy as evidenced by Larionov naming him captain of the WJC team and has been praised for his work ethic by coaches. I'm not sure if it's partially a language barrier, but it seems Podkolzin gets stuck trying to figure out what the coaching staff wants rather than just playing. Maybe having Gonchar on staff can help translate for him when he gets a call-up. As you pointed out, something did seem to finally click for him in the AHL so hopefully the concussion is only a minor setback.

Regardless of how high his hockey IQ may or may not be, his work ethic and size should make him a pretty solid 3rd liner at the very least 

Dustin Brown was a 30 goal scorer.  If Podkolzin can get anywhere near the numbers of Dustin Brown he would be a huge success in the NHL…

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, LaBamba said:

That’s great and everything but how on earth do you come up with this? Lol. Based on what I’ve seen. He is likely a Russian Curtis Lazar. 

Even Dakota Joshua and Sam Lafferty are better than Curtis Lazar.  He is like a 6-8 goal scorer in the NHL.  Podkolzin got 14 goals as a 20 year old and then regressed.  

He will definitely be an NHL player.  The talent is there.  I can see him on the 3rd line getting 15 goals and 40 points and being a two way force.  Not sure he is going to be a top 6 player though.  But at the time of the draft he was ranked as high as #5 on some boards, so it’s not like we severely reached to pick him.

I personally wanted Matthew Boldy at #10, I knew he was gonna be a top 6 guy.  Other than Boldy though and the midget Caulfield, the rest of the 1st round was pretty bad…

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dustin Brown was a 30 goal scorer.  If Podkolzin can get anywhere near the numbers of Dustin Brown he would be a huge success in the NHL…

He hit 30 once. Mostly Brown was a ~25 goal scorer. But yes, my hope is still that Podkolzin can become a similar player.

• Cheers 3

On 11/25/2023 at 1:47 PM, Hogs and Podz said:

On 11/25/2023 at 2:12 PM, flat land fish said:

Any player you draft that plays good two way hockey and can score 60 points would be considered a massive success.

Yeah, massive win, especially where he's at now.

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Even Dakota Joshua and Sam Lafferty are better than Curtis Lazar.  He is like a 6-8 goal scorer in the NHL.  Podkolzin got 14 goals as a 20 year old and then regressed.  

He will definitely be an NHL player.  The talent is there.  I can see him on the 3rd line getting 15 goals and 40 points and being a two way force.  Not sure he is going to be a top 6 player though.  But at the time of the draft he was ranked as high as #5 on some boards, so it’s not like we severely reached to pick him.

I personally wanted Matthew Boldy at #10, I knew he was gonna be a top 6 guy.  Other than Boldy though and the midget Caulfield, the rest of the 1st round was pretty bad…

I wanted Boldy too. I like Podz though. He's got the heart.

• Cheers 3

20 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, massive win, especially where he's at now.

I wanted Boldy too. I like Podz though. He's got the heart.

Think we were many, who were looking towards Boldy... But with Podz dropping, it was a fair chance to take... At some stage Podz was considered a top 3 pick... Don't think any of us expected Podz to fall to us...

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Think we were many, who were looking towards Boldy... But with Podz dropping, it was a fair chance to take... At some stage Podz was considered a top 3 pick... Don't think any of us expected Podz to fall to us...

Yeah that's true. I wasn't happy when we picked and I'm still not. 

• Cheers 1

I was big on Newhook at the draft, was sitting with his team mates at Rogers so just a little caught up in the atmosphere haha. I remember the team butchering the pronounciation of his name and got a laugh.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 8:49 AM, MattJVD said:

I was big on Newhook at the draft, was sitting with his team mates at Rogers so just a little caught up in the atmosphere haha. I remember the team butchering the pronounciation of his name and got a laugh.

same, I was going for Zegras, but if we didnt get him I wanted Newhook

6 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

same, I was going for Zegras, but if we didnt get him I wanted Newhook

So the pick could have been really terrible if we did get Zegras. Why would any club want that selfish piece of craperolla? Imagine wasting cap on him and having his selfishness in the room! Yuk C828916E-9ADE-494C-8AFC-599AEE60D7A0.gif.7783fde8fccc8a5a4fa620f8259cbeb9.gif

• Upvote 1

Just now, flat land fish said:

If these are comments around podkolzin couldn't be more wrong.  Way more fast twitch explosiveness than either of these guys and much better shooter and athlete.  Lazar is an all hustle 4th liner.  Gaunce has the hockey sense and hustle just lacks the athleticism to be full time nhl player.  Give podkolzin a confidence implant and you have an immediate top 9 contributor.

Yea I think I'll go with Miller's assessment of Podz over the hoopleheads.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

If these are comments around podkolzin couldn't be more wrong.  Way more fast twitch explosiveness than either of these guys and much better shooter and athlete.  Lazar is an all hustle 4th liner.  Gaunce has the hockey sense and hustle just lacks the athleticism to be full time nhl player.  Give podkolzin a confidence implant and you have an immediate top 9 contributor.

We saw that for an extended period of time in 2021. He appeared to be coming out of his shell, and using his size to compliment his skill. I SO hope he refinds that game; tahts a HUGE hole for us right now IMHO.

• Cheers 1

Podkolzin is something we are missing. 

I hope he's going to be alright and regain the intensity he had prior to that BS injury. 

Actually, it sounds like he was playing with fire last game, so that's great to hear. 

He should get a call up, soon. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Barn Burner said:

Podkolzin is something we are missing. 

I hope he's going to be alright and regain the intensity he had prior to that BS injury. 

Actually, it sounds like he was playing with fire last game, so that's great to hear. 

He should get a call up, soon. 

I'm so sick of Calgary taking shots at us, the preseason and AHL stuff is utter bullshit.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1