Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I guess it depends on how far it goes. If he's annoying like some bible thumper it might be a problem, or if he goes public with something, it could harm the room.

For me it just makes him trade bait if he goes weird. 

He's young, sometimes young people try on ideas. Doesn't mean it's permanent .

Kind of an unnecessary comment. Didn’t seem to bother the rest of the team with Hamhuis or others who were religious. And it could be said of Atheists as much as the religious, regardless of which belief they follow.

I agree with Alf that as long as he performs on the ice, the rest shouldn’t matter.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Kind of an unnecessary comment. Didn’t seem to bother the rest of the team with Hamhuis or others who were religious. And it could be said of Atheists as much as the religious, regardless of which belief they follow.

I agree with Alf that as long as he performs on the ice, the rest shouldn’t matter.

Well to each their own, I find pushy happy clappers quite annoying and could see it harming a room if it went too far.

49 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Can't see that happening, we need young, ELC guys to round out the roster. He is playing well and is rounding out his game. Most power forwards need a little more development time before they enter the NHL.

And time to get their stuff.

As with all trades if we end up a better team I'm usually for it. Say he was the key part of a deal for Rasmus Andersson, pretty sure most folks would be pretty happy.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

First time since we drafted him, I was begining to be worried about his game... As far as points were concerned since the head shot. 

Both Abby and the big teams brass have been very patient with him... And for this I am so thankful.  The kid has had a really challenging year so far.  Not all bad just a lot on his plate. 

Now however, it looks like the patiences and faith they've shown is paying off.  It's not a matter of if... just when he'll get the call up.  When it happenes, I think it will be for good.

It might be best for him to stay the season in Abby.... But I think he could be the impact pf we need on Petey's wing.  Balance out the lines.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They've definitely got him playing more aggressively, and you love to see it.

And no stupid celebration making him look more important than the club.  Love this guy. Get him up and playing with Miller or Petey. Podzilla is a beauty. 

Hope he's gonna be a strapping 200+ lb. disruptive specimen on the wing with a shot when he comes up.  Wouldn't mind adding another power forward up front without giving up any assets.  If he could land on Petey's wing that would be gravy (and if by the looks of it Kuzmenko doesn't fit anymore I'd hope we can trade him).

Mikheyev - Petey - Podkolzin (lots of speed, playmaking and shooting, plus two-way play)
Hoglander/ PDG - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Suter/ Blueger - Garland
PDG/ Aman - Blueger - Lafferty 

• Like 1

Hoglander's time in the AHL only helped him this year. Podz might be ready for 4th line and maybe even 3rd line minutes but if we let him keep cooking we could potentially drop him right into the top 6 in a few months. Love to see his progress with Abby this year!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

First time since we drafted him, I was begining to be worried about his game... As far as points were concerned since the head shot. 

Both Abby and the big teams brass have been very patient with him... And for this I am so thankful.  The kid has had a really challenging year so far.  Not all bad just a lot on his plate. 

Now however, it looks like the patiences and faith they've shown is paying off.  It's not a matter of if... just when he'll get the call up.  When it happenes, I think it will be for good.

It might be best for him to stay the season in Abby.... But I think he could be the impact pf we need on Petey's wing.  Balance out the lines.

why do you think he's ready to come up to the NHL for good?

On 12/27/2023 at 5:37 AM, Boudrias said:

Where did you see or hear him discuss his politics? I do consider it an issue if he is pro Putin. 

I'm gonna go out on a long and say the fact that none of our Russian guys went back to Russia this summer indicates that they are pro Putin.

Also Zadorov was friends with Micky and Kuz before the trade and has been the only Russian player to speak publicly against the war. I'm gonna assume Kuzy and Mikheyev, and probably Podz share his views.

Two goals and the shootout winner tonight from Podz in Abby. I still think he's got top six potential. Just gonna take a bit longer than most.

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

why do you think he's ready to come up to the NHL for good?

I said when they (management) thinks he's ready to come up, I think it will be for good. 

1) Because they're taking the patience route... Otherwise he'd be up right now... And maybe going up and down over course of the year.

2) Next season, he'll be waiver eligible like Högs is this season.

3) Högs if not waiver eligible, would probably be cookin with Podz right now, getting 19 min a game on the top line with Podz.  Not 14 mins, in and out of line-up, up and down the lines.

16 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I said when they (management) thinks he's ready to come up, I think it will be for good. 

1) Because they're taking the patience route... Otherwise he'd be up right now... And maybe going up and down over course of the year.

2) Next season, he'll be waiver eligible like Högs is this season.

3) Högs if not waiver eligible, would probably be cookin with Podz right now, getting 19 min a game on the top line with Podz.  Not 14 mins, in and out of line-up, up and down the lines.

The question might be is how PA evaluates Podz versus trading for another big winger like Greenaway in Buffalo. IMHO something has to be done on the top 6. Reuniting Loto is not the long term solution. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Podz still has much to prove before he steps up to the NHL.  He's a top 10 pick who clearly

has not performed as expected (so far).  I still think he will make the NHL, but he has some

competition along the way; mainly Sasson and Nielson.  Both those players have similar

offense, but they also play a more rugged game than Podz.  Bains is competition as well.

I would rather they hold off on bringing Podz up to the NHL until they are certain he

will stay there.  This is the last year of his ELC, so he really needs the development

time in Abby to get him to the next level.  Bains, Nielsen and Sasson still have another

year of ELC.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1