Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

16 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They've definitely got him playing more aggressively, and you love to see it.

10 goals, not bad at the halfway point after missing time and recovering from serious injury. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

10 goals, not bad at the halfway point after missing time and recovering from serious injury. 

He's been a shooting monster this year too, he's unlucky not to have more goals. Averaging 4 shots per game and still (through 24 games!) has not had a game without a shot on goal. Had a career high 10 shots just before Christmas in the game against the Ontario Reign

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Of those 10 goals, 3 are game winners. And it is nearly a 35 goal pace.  He was hot before his injury and is hot again. He is a very direct player, the kind that Tocchet likes to complement his stars with - can he be that guy?

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, Captain insano said:

My dream for podz is to turn into a version of Perron, he has the perfect tool set and we have seen him get under the skin of the opposition in the past, Perron had 42 points in 57 games at podkolzins age I believe, that career is achievable for podkolzin offensively and I think we all are aware he plays the defensive side of the game right 

Mine is to be more like barbashev and a playoff beast

but ya I think it’s still possible for him too

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Mine is to be more like barbashev and a playoff beast

but ya I think it’s still possible for him too

He's always been a playoff beast. Check his KHL stats; in the playoffs his production and icetime shoot up like a rocket. 7 goals and 12 assists in 68 regular season games, 7 goals and 7 assists in 20 playoff games.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

He's always been a playoff beast. Check his KHL stats; in the playoffs his production and icetime shoot up like a rocket. 7 goals and 12 assists in 68 regular season games, 7 goals and 7 assists in 20 playoff games.

Ya so you agree right?

Barbashev is his best comp projectable NHL Player I see.

He also took like 8 years to figure it out 

39 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Ya so you agree right?

Barbashev is his best comp projectable NHL Player I see.

He also took like 8 years to figure it out 

Maybe. But where Barbashev has had one really good playoff year, like most players he is generally less productive in the playoffs than the regular season. But Podz almost invariably produces dramatically more in the playoffs. I am hoping to see what he looks like on the big team this spring.

Edited by WeneedLumme

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Maybe. But where Barbashev has had one really good playoff year, like most players he is generally less productive in the playoffs than the regular season. But Podz almost invariably produces dramatically more in the playoffs. I am hoping to see what he looks like on the big team this spring.

you are comparing a proven NHL scorer who has produced on a Stanley cup run to a player in the AHL?

And I am comparing barbashev last year as a peak of what we could hope from for podz stylistically these are my hopes for him at this point.

I am not sure he will be on the big club in the spring. He will be in the AHL for the entire year and the AHL playoff push I expect. Just like Hoglander last year. But who knows!

14 hours ago, R3aL said:

you are comparing a proven NHL scorer who has produced on a Stanley cup run to a player in the AHL?

And I am comparing barbashev last year as a peak of what we could hope from for podz stylistically these are my hopes for him at this point.

I am not sure he will be on the big club in the spring. He will be in the AHL for the entire year and the AHL playoff push I expect. Just like Hoglander last year. But who knows!

Yes. Is that not what you are doing? I am comparing the same players you are,  but I am comparing their regular season v/s playoff production (because you used the term "playoff beast") in various leagues over the course of their careers, rather than just looking at one year as you are.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes. Is that not what you are doing? I am comparing the same players you are,  but I am comparing their regular season v/s playoff production (because you used the term "playoff beast") in various leagues over the course of their careers, rather than just looking at one year as you are.

Didn't Podkolzin lead his team in points in the KHL playoffs the year before he joined the Canucks? 

Either way, he's a competitor who'll be on this team sooner than later. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Didn't Podkolzin lead his team in points in the KHL playoffs the year before he joined the Canucks? 

Either way, he's a competitor who'll be on this team sooner than later. 

Yes he did, in both goals and points. 50% more playoff goals and almost twice as many playoff points that year as Kuzmenko, who was on the same team.

And absolutely he is a competitor and will be on the team very soon.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes he did, in both goals and points. 50% more playoff goals and almost twice as many playoff points that year as Kuzmenko, who was on the same team.

And absolutely he is a competitor and will be on the team very soon.

Unless there is a raft of injuries to the big club, I expect Pods to play the rest of the regular season in Abby.

No room on the team for him while they are healthy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Unless there is a raft of injuries to the big club, I expect Pods to play the rest of the regular season in Abby.

No room on the team for him while they are healthy.

Yes and no. 

If he forces his way onto Vancouver, he'll be there this year. 

6 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Yes and no. 

If he forces his way onto Vancouver, he'll be there this year. 

Rutherford said on the Radio just before Christmas that the team is in no rush to bring Podz up and are happy to let him marinate in the AHL all year. He said "never say never" to him being called up, but they aren't planning on it currently.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Rutherford said on the Radio just before Christmas that the team is in no rush to bring Podz up and are happy to let him marinate in the AHL all year. He said "never say never" to him being called up, but they aren't planning on it currently.

At this point we have enough depth that it's unnecessary it would almost be easier to forecast a spot if he played centre

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Fair enough. 

As he said, it is a possibility. 

Either way, barring any unforeseen circumstances, he's on the team next year. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I’m saying my hope for podz is that he can become a player like barbashev still since they have some similarities in style and in time to impact NHL

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

And I am saying that I have higher hopes and expectations than that for Podz, who is a bit bigger, more skilled and productive at a younger age, and has proven to be a playoff beast (ie: MORE productive in the playoffs than in the regular season) his whole life, rather than just for one season.

Yup. It’s very rare for a player to develop in the Russian leagues and be an impactful player in the National League at 20-22. They most often either need to come here and play in junior or wait until older to come over. Podz is learning his lessons and will be a big part of our club during this year’s coming Cup run and for many seasons after. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

And I am saying that I have higher hopes and expectations than that for Podz, who is a bit bigger, more skilled and productive at a younger age, and has proven to be a playoff beast (ie: MORE productive in the playoffs than in the regular season) his whole life, rather than just for one season.

Maybe I just misunderstood or didn’t communicate myself well on this. But  I feel like we have similar hopes for the player.

i hope he does develop into that. And I still believe in him. He’s just had a weird dev path. And I’m really happy they are letting him cook in abby right now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:40 AM, R3aL said:

And I’m really happy they are letting him cook in abby right now.

They need to. He needs a ton of playing time, and the coaching staff in Abby to work with him. If he continues his offensive play, I think he could get a call up at some point maybe before the playoffs. 

21 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

They need to. He needs a ton of playing time, and the coaching staff in Abby to work with him. If he continues his offensive play, I think he could get a call up at some point maybe before the playoffs. 

Maybe. Not sure. They might keep him there all the way through espexially if we add at the deadline. I wish he was there last year while hoggy was the entire time too but happy he’s there now