Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

30 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I do worry that Garland isn't able to replicate his niche play next year, especially if Blueger and/or Joshua are not around. I also am not a fan of his $5 mil salary that far down the line-up. It's also possible we could sell high on a player we couldn't give away before this year started. Hugs aside I think he is a strong candidate to be moved in the off-season due to cap reasons.

I agree, that line has chemistry. You bust it up it won't be the same. I think we can manage losing Bleuger as its Joshua and Garland who have the chemistry. We lose Joshua to UFA, then its likely time to move Garland. When you catch lightning in a bottle with chemistry, if you break it up, often you lose that lightning. Very good point.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I do worry that Garland isn't able to replicate his niche play next year, especially if Blueger and/or Joshua are not around. I also am not a fan of his $5 mil salary that far down the line-up. It's also possible we could sell high on a player we couldn't give away before this year started. Hugs aside I think he is a strong candidate to be moved in the off-season due to cap reasons.

The original line started clicking with Suter($1.6x2) as the C, but then he was injured. 

Both Blueger and Joshua will want raises and Garland already makes too much for a

3rd liner.  Unfortunately, I think all three will not be here for next season.

If there ever was a good time for the farm team players to make the big club, it is next

season.  Podz & Karlsson will be waiver eligible, while Bains & Sasson are exempt for

1 more year.  With a little luck, we could be looking at  Podz - Suter - Karlsson  with

Bains/Sutter in the mix.  Hogs & Aman will also be in the mix.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

I agree, that line has chemistry. You bust it up it won't be the same. I think we can manage losing Bleuger as its Joshua and Garland who have the chemistry. We lose Joshua to UFA, then its likely time to move Garland. When you catch lightning in a bottle with chemistry, if you break it up, often you lose that lightning. Very good point.

I see what you're saying and I too think Joshua may just get too good of an offer somewhere else. He may value what he's done and the support he's gotten here too though. A nice 4 year deal might entice him. 4x2.25 or something like that.

I notice the part from Higgy below about Suter playing there to start the year but I really also believe Blueger playing the right way defensively and never making the wrong play really allows Garland and Joshua to so there thing ... moreso than Suter. However, Suter is singed for next year and Blueger is not. He's certainly earned a multi year deal somewhere too.

42 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The original line started clicking with Suter($1.6x2) as the C, but then he was injured. 

Both Blueger and Joshua will want raises and Garland already makes too much for a

If there ever was a good time for the farm team players to make the big club, it is next

season.  Podz & Karlsson will be waiver eligible, while Bains & Sasson are exempt for

1 more year.  With a little luck, we could be looking at  Podz - Suter - Karlsson  with

I definitely see Pods being in the mix for sure but I haven't been thrilled Karlsson's play. He's been steady but has been pretty much invisible in his couple of games. Bains is really cooking and deserves a shot at some point. Like you said though he's still waiver eligible. Sasson definitely is an interesting player, it's too bad he isn't a bit bigger as I don't see an offensive role opening up anytime soon.

Edited by Gawdzukes

On 2/9/2024 at 12:23 PM, Gawdzukes said:

I definitely see Pods being in the mix for sure but I haven't been thrilled Karlsson's play. He's been steady but has been pretty much invisible in his couple of games. Bains is really cooking and deserves a shot at some point. Like you said though he's still waiver eligible. Sasson definitely is an interesting player, it's too bad he isn't a bit bigger as I don't see an offensive role opening up anytime soon.

Thing is, though, LK isn't a 4th liner,  he's a goalscorer (remember, he broke  Petey's Swedish Rookie goal scoring record in his own rookie year, and last season was Abby's leading goalscorer over the season).  Colliton has been working on his 200' game, with success, as even Tocchet has complimented his boardwork and attention to defensive details.  Karlsson plays both powerplay and kills penalties in Abbotsford.  Does need to add a bit more pace, though.  I'm not saying they are anything equivalent in skill level,  but playing Karlsson on the 4th line would be akin to playing Boeser on that line.

I'd like to see a Karlsson-Suter-Podkolzin line in action, but not as a checking or shutdown line, but for LK to excel at the NHL level, he simply has to get faster

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Thing is, though, LK isn't a 4th liner,  he's a goalscorer (remember, he broke  Petey's Swedish Rookie goal scoring record in his own rookie year, and last season was Abby's leading goalscorer over the season).  Colliton has been working on his 200' game, with success, as even Tocchet has complimented his boardwork and attention to defensive details.  Karlsson plays both powerplay and kills penalties in Abbotsford.  Does need to add a bit more pace, though.  I'm not saying they are anything equivalent in skill level,  but playing Karlsson on the 4th line would be akin to playing Boeser on that line.

I'd like to see a Karlsson-Suter-Podkolzin line in action, but not as a checking or shutdown line, but for LK to excel at the NHL level, he simply has to get faster

Karlsson is Swedish. He shouldn’t have a problem playing defence. 

The issue with Karlsson is that he’s already 24 and can’t even crack the Canucks yet. The clock is ticking on him. Podkolzin and Bains are both ahead of him IMO so not sure Karlsson will even make the Canucks next season. 

Luckily he still has one more year of waiver eligibility so he has one more year to figure it out. Even then we have Lekkerimäki on the way too so that’s one less spot for Karlsson to take. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:22 AM, Bardown said:

Yup, signing Joshua would be the key to keep Garland going as they looked really good with Suter. Bleuger is in line for a big raise come July, he can probably fetch 2.5 - 3 mill the way hes season has gone

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Karlsson is Swedish. He shouldn’t have a problem playing defence. 

The issue with Karlsson is that he’s already 24 and can’t even crack the Canucks yet. The clock is ticking on him. Podkolzin and Bains are both ahead of him IMO so not sure Karlsson will even make the Canucks next season. 

Luckily he still has one more year of waiver eligibility so he has one more year to figure it out. Even then we have Lekkerimäki on the way too so that’s one less spot for Karlsson to take. 

I have been thinking Bains-Lindholm-Petey. Lekker should start in Abby next year. It will be interesting if he comes this spring for a stretch of games. 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have been thinking Bains-Lindholm-Petey. Lekker should start in Abby next year. It will be interesting if he comes this spring for a stretch of games. 

Lekkerimaki will be on the big club. He’s defensively very good. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Some kids can move right from the shl... But do you think he's strong enough?

Absolutely Lekkerimaki is strong enough for the big club. The A is for guys to learn the defensive game. Lekkerimaki is elite defensively. He will play (big club) third line minutes next season. He’s Garlsnd’s replacement. Garland will be in another club’s garden. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely Lekkerimaki is strong enough for the big club. The A is for guys to learn the defensive game. Lekkerimaki is elite defensively. He will play (big club) third line minutes next season. He’s Garlsnd’s replacement. Garland will be in another club’s garden. 

Sometimes I do get concerned that some Cowtown dough head in the AHL goes head hunting for one of our guys. So if JL is ready to make the big jump, that's great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Yup, signing Joshua would be the key to keep Garland going as they looked really good with Suter. Bleuger is in line for a big raise come July, he can probably fetch 2.5 - 3 mill the way hes season has gone

They've been the most consistent line for the Canucks this year and will be a major part of any

success in the playoffs.  Unfortunately, the increased salaries will result in a $10m 3rd line, which

will not fit into the team salary cap.  We'll see what happens, but I suspect all 3 players will not

be in Vancouver next season.

58 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pettersson    Lindholm    Lekkerimäki 

This is what I want to see. The ultimate Swedish line. 

That is sure to be an explosive line; very exciting indeed.

As for Podz, I am hopeful for him taking over Joshua's spot (due to earning hefty raise).

Blueger goes to UFA and gets a much deserved raise as well).

Garland will likely be traded in the offseason.

I like the sound of  Podz - Suter - Mik 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

As for Podz, I am hopeful for him taking over Joshua's spot (due to earning hefty raise).

Not so sure they´ll let Joshua leave, but of course everyone has a limit...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 2/9/2024 at 11:41 AM, higgyfan said:

I think Hogs moves up to the third line. Joshua I think will be a hard player to replace. I'd be surprised if management can bring him back. 

Bains could make the 4th line as an energy guy. I can see him hitting and a fast forechecker. 

I think if Karlsson goes on waiver, not sure if any other team picks him up. He's a good depth piece, but players other teams would have similar ilk kind of players in their organizations as well. I think he passes. 

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Who can score on that line? Mikeheyev has hands of stone. 

I think Garland is now worth his contract. He drives that line. Why wouldn't we want to keep him? Podkolzin hasn't proven he can produce offensively in the NHL. That line could be a black hole. 

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think it's a stretch to say that Lekkerimaki is going to do what Garland has been doing this season. 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Of the Corrollas it is Joshua who has to be resigned. Canucks have nothing in their pool that comes close. I can see Bains getting a look with Joshua. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Of the Corrollas it is Joshua who has to be resigned. Canucks have nothing in their pool that comes close. I can see Bains getting a look with Joshua. 

“Podslovin” will be on the big club next season. Joshua will be elsewhere, making way too much and providing a lot less. 

Well, I think garland is as good as gone.......sell high!

This is what I think it will look like next season

Pettersson(10,350,000)    Lindholm(7,500,000)    Boeser(6,650,000)                 Hughes(7,850,000) Tanev(3,000,000)                Demko(5,000,000)        Mikheyev(4,750,000)        Miller(8,000,000)          Lekkerimaki(950,000)           Zadorov(3,750,000) Hronek(7,500,000)              Silovs(950,000)            Hoglander(1,100,000)       Suter(1,600,000)           Podkolzin(1,250,000)*           Soucy(3,250,000)    Friedman(775,000)                                                      Lafferty(1,150,000)            Blueger(2,250,000)      DSP(775,000)                                             Juulsen(775,000)                                                                                                                    Aman(825,000)

Priority signings will be in this order. Pettersson (10,350,000), Hronek (7,500,000), Lindholm (7,500,000), Tanev (3,000,000), (1,250,000),Blueger (2,250,000) 

Total cap will be in the around the $80,000,000* (79,750,000 to be exact)

Now expect the cap to be $84,500,000, which will allow us approx. $4,750,000 cap space. this allows us to look at Joshua, and still have extra to top up Pettersson, Hronek, Tanev, and Lindholm if I am out any large amount.

* I would not also be surprised if Podkolzin starts on the second line with Miller, for 2 reasons. Mikheyev has hands of stone, and miller has chemistry with Pods

** just a question that occurs to me.......who actually contributes more to the team, Mikheyev or Joshua? who is more dependable?

Edited by JIAHN

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Who can score on that line? Mikeheyev has hands of stone. 

I think Garland is now worth his contract. He drives that line. Why wouldn't we want to keep him? Podkolzin hasn't proven he can produce offensively in the NHL. That line could be a black hole. 

They will keep the 3rd line intact for this season/playoffs for sure.  They will have to be

creative in the offseason to keep the team together, but salary cap will make it tough.

Mik is struggling this year; perhaps still recovering from injury.  He was never suited to a

top 6 role, but he certainly played well as a 3rd liner in TO.  It's quite possible he returns

to form over the final stretch and into the playoffs.

I've always been a supporter of Garland and I love what he's doing on the 3rd line.  The big

concern is the salary cap with so many signings for next season.  I don't see how the team

team can take on a $10m 3rd line.  I wouldn't mind if they keep Garland, but they would

have to let Josh and Blue go and make a desperation trade of Mik.

Pods will more than likely get a long look next season.  The coach and management really

want him to make the team; especially with his waiver eligibility.  If they think he is

close to making the jump, he will be on the team at the beginning of the season.

Bains may also get his chance.

They might even look at the UFA market and find a player that is underrated/underpriced

like they did this season with Suter & Blueger.

The management team has proven to be a very competent and crafty group, so I trust

the decisions they make moving forward.  It's a shame there are cap restrictions that

will create some difficult choices.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It all depends on how much Josh and his agent think he's worth.