Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d like to see Podkolzin with Petey and Höglander. Move Suter to 4th line and play Joshua on that 3rd line when he gets back. 

As you know... I'm the biggest Podz fan... And for my namesake... I feel very vindicated should Podz play with Petey and Högs but yes.... It depends on if he's a better fit there versus being on lindys wing.  They are just starting to build chemistry.  That line looks really dangerous... All lines seem to have great chemistry right now.  If it ain't broke?... But once DJ is back... I can see Tocc trying them together at some point though.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Ultimately, I don't think it matters what line Podz plays on... He'll be very effective regardless.  However, his overall skill sets are best suited for the top 9.

how often do you see the 3rd and 4th lines in the playoffs coming though in huge ways? a lot. We're lucky to be able to have some of the guys we do in the bottom 6. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, farinush said:

I think Pod’s career trajectory can be very surprising (in a good way). Let’s not forget, he’s playing a man’s game in a kid’s body still. He is surrounded by guys like Miller, Tocchet and the Sedins who can show him the way and by all accounts, this kid is eager to learn. In the next 3-5 years when he adds muscle to his frame, why can’t he be a JT Miller? Yes, it’s an extremely homer take, but why not? 

In the last 2 games he’s had 5 hits and 3 shots a piece in limited ice time. He’s shown softer hands than Bains and has exhibited a mature 2-way game. Unlike guys like Bains and Karlsson, we’re not just giving him a pat on the back for fitting in. He’s actually making plays and proving he belongs. That’s not a knock on those guys but Pods has been a noticeable contributor. It would be nice to give him a shot at top 6 minutes but he can also give us depth in the bottom 6, which we’ll need for the playoffs. His chemistry with Lindy and Garland unlocks all sorts of flexibility going forward. Pods, Joshua, Lidholm, and Garland can play up and down the lineup which gives us the option to stack the top 6 or spread the wealth depending on the opponent. 

My memory of Pods at the WJC playing for Russia was his passing. He was controlling the play off his RW. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

My memory of Pods at the WJC playing for Russia was his passing. He was controlling the play off his RW. 

I don't believe Podz will ever be a high scoring player, but he's also showing its going to be hard to score against his line. If he turns into an ideal 3rd line guy who tilts play thats great imo. Maybe he plays up the lineup depending on matchups, etc. from time to time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, farinush said:

I think Pod’s career trajectory can be very surprising (in a good way). Let’s not forget, he’s playing a man’s game in a kid’s body still. He is surrounded by guys like Miller, Tocchet and the Sedins who can show him the way and by all accounts, this kid is eager to learn. In the next 3-5 years when he adds muscle to his frame, why can’t he be a JT Miller? Yes, it’s an extremely homer take, but why not? 

In the last 2 games he’s had 5 hits and 3 shots a piece in limited ice time. He’s shown softer hands than Bains and has exhibited a mature 2-way game. Unlike guys like Bains and Karlsson, we’re not just giving him a pat on the back for fitting in. He’s actually making plays and proving he belongs. That’s not a knock on those guys but Pods has been a noticeable contributor. It would be nice to give him a shot at top 6 minutes but he can also give us depth in the bottom 6, which we’ll need for the playoffs. His chemistry with Lindy and Garland unlocks all sorts of flexibility going forward. Pods, Joshua, Lidholm, and Garland can play up and down the lineup which gives us the option to stack the top 6 or spread the wealth depending on the opponent. 

Podkolzin looks like a man to me. I don’t think he needs to add any more muscle to match Miller. He might even be bigger than Miller. 

IMG_0811.png

3 hours ago, farinush said:

Pods, Joshua, Lidholm, and Garland can play up and down the lineup which gives us the option to stack the top 6 or spread the wealth depending on the opponent. 

Love what you had to say here.  So very true.  What great options!  You can include Suter in that group as well.  

As well, I'd like to highlight from Tocc's post game, he made a point to mention that Podz hockey IQ has improved since being in Abby.  He's playing without thinking to much... Imperative for a player like Podz.  So excited for him and this team!!!

• Cheers 2

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it but he had a great defensive play/read in the 2nd period. There was danger around the net and a Jets player had two passing options, one more obvious than the other. The Jets player tried to bait/fake a pass to the more obvious option and then passed it to the less obvious option, but Podkolzin read the play perfectly and intercepted the pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/10/2024 at 4:19 PM, 112 said:

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it but he had a great defensive play/read in the 2nd period. There was danger around the net and a Jets player had two passing options, one more obvious than the other. The Jets player tried to bait/fake a pass to the more obvious option and then passed it to the less obvious option, but Podkolzin read the play perfectly and intercepted the pass.

I hope his offense will eventually catch up. Would love to see him in the same trajectory as Höglander - an eventual 20 goal scorer would be huge for this organization, especially one that they've developed. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I hope his offense will eventually catch up. Would love to see him in the same trajectory as Höglander - an eventual 20 goal scorer would be huge for this organization, especially one that they've developed. 

He has already scored 14 in his rookie year, so 20+ isn't out of the question.

And yeah, @112 I've been meaning to mention that defensive play. After he intercepted the pass, he calmly fed it forward to Lindholm to break out of the zone. 

Great defensive play! Shows how aware he is of everything going on around him. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

He has already scored 14 in his rookie year, so 20+ isn't out of the question.

And yeah, @112 I've been meaning to mention that defensive play. After he intercepted the pass, he calmly fed it forward to Lindholm to break out of the zone. 

Great defensive play! Shows how aware he is of everything going on around him. 

It's amazing that he's not a bust considering how he was mismanaged earlier in his career under the Benning regime. 

Though, I often look back and think, what if Benning had drafted Boldy instead of Podkolzin? The kid has a 30 goal season, and he's only 22. 

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It's amazing that he's not a bust considering how he was mismanaged earlier in his career under the Benning regime. 

Though, I often look back and think, what if Benning had drafted Boldy instead of Podkolzin? The kid has a 30 goal season, and he's only 22. 

Who fucking cares? 

We got Podkolzin and he's a damn good player. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Boldy was my choice at that draft... Then Podz fell and I was  happy with that choice...

(Picks 10 and 12, 2019 draft)

Think Boeser vs. Eriksson-Ek. (Picks 20 and 23, 2015 draft)

We were all very happy with Boes out of the gates but slowly but surely we've seen Eriksson-Ek become a high end 200ft player.  A big part of that wild team.  I think most of us are happy with Boeser especially this year but I'm sure Wild fans are happy they have Eriksson-Ek.  

I think Podz will turn out to be a better version of Eriksson-Ek... And Boldy a better version of Boeser. 

Time will tell.

By the way... 3 picks after Boes... Noah Juulsen!  Found money!!!

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Podz is getting better each passing game.  He's carving out an identity. The points will come but he's earning a permanent home with the big club.  I just love how he plays.  

He'll be money in the playoffs...

We're damn fortunate to have him! He's a keeper.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

We're damn fortunate to have him! He's a keeper.

I though he played a great game last night.  He is physical, and is starting to find the scoring areas.  He will slot in real nice on our third line next year.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Podz is getting better each passing game.  He's carving out an identity. The points will come but he's earning a permanent home with the big club.  I just love how he plays.  

I have your post a Tank emoji not because i want to tank or think he sucks but because it seemed like that emoji was being wasted sitting there and well Podz is a Tank. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Better yet, his style will be useful for this year's playoffs!

Absolutely.  He will be a playoff beast and I would be willing to bet that he continues his pattern of being more productive in the playoffs than he is in the regular season.

• Cheers 2
  • MillerTime 1

On 3/22/2024 at 1:08 AM, Hogs and Podz said:

The way he is playing out there right now reminds me of the old Podz we seen when we first drafted him.

All his highlights were of him and his relentless motor, banging and crashing, feeding the puck to his players, a possession monster on the ice.

Since he come to North America that version of Podz disappeared. Until this year. He’s been like this all year on the farm too.

Kids got his mojo back! 

Back in the KHL/MHL his points would come and go, but what always remained constant was that motor of his. He’s a wrecking ball and we need that so badly on our team. Glad we stayed patient and let him find his game again.

• Cheers 4