Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

Just now, Hogs and Podz said:

You're a plague and a curse... God will not listen.... Thank God!

Podz is just now ready for the big club perminantely.   If they trade him now... We'll never get his value back. 

You're just impatient.   How's Forsling doing? 

Podz will prove the doubters wrong this season.  

I love some of what we see out of Podz, but the reality is that seeing some "good stuff" isn't enough to stick in the NHL. You need actual results. He hasn't produced enough offense to be an NHL player as of now. I too hope he can finally put it together and get some points on the board this year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I love some of what we see out of Podz, but the reality is that seeing some "good stuff" isn't enough to stick in the NHL. You need actual results. He hasn't produced enough offense to be an NHL player as of now. I too hope he can finally put it together and get some points on the board this year.

I remember, guess it was training camp and they introduced Podkolzin to Mik and Kuzmenko at the time. I remember the look on his face. It was a smile but it was

a smile that said ah geez, Back to Abbotsford. where he was OK. like you say, his all round  game has to be better and consistent for the Canucks.

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I remember, guess it was training camp and they introduced Podkolzin to Mik and Kuzmenko at the time. I remember the look on his face. It was a smile but it was

a smile that said ah geez, Back to Abbotsford. where he was OK. like you say, his all round  game has to be better and consistent for the Canucks.

IMHAO Pods will be next season’s DJ. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Artemus said:

Interesting.

Read the last half dozen or so comments.

Suggestions that he should be a sweetener to add to a Mikhayev trade. That he needs to hit the gym. That he hits the gym too much. That he needs a shrink.

Myself, I was pleasantly surprised with Podkolzin's play when he came up for a few games this spring. He was hitting, winning board battles, forechecking hard and playing a decent defensive game. I am thinking that he is now ready to contribute and that he could be an important addition to the roster next year. Looking forward to training camp.

I have this same feeling! His re-up confirms that management thinks along the lines you're thinking, I completely agree.

Stick with Pod, believe in Pod. 

The man has a good heart, the physical tools and 2 years of considerable pay. Bet on Pods.

• Cheers 3

IMO, Podkolzin regressed after that fight he had a couple of years ago, which he lost I believe. After that he was sent down and hasn't been able to stick with the big club since. 

He needs to dig deep and decide if he really wants a career in the NHL. He's going to need to improve his game, play more aggressive, be physical and go to the dirty areas. No fear.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

IMO, Podkolzin regressed after that fight he had a couple of years ago, which he lost I believe. After that he was sent down and hasn't been able to stick with the big club since. 

He needs to dig deep and decide if he really wants a career in the NHL. He's going to need to improve his game, play more aggressive, be physical and go to the dirty areas. No fear.

You just described his game. Which is why he will be on the big club next season.

• Like 1

What I miss in Podz, is how he used to flash down the ice and plow right into the goal mouth and

score.  He seemed so fast and his hustle was amazing.  All those clips from his Russian career and

even when he had his 1st year with the Canucks.  He was an exciting player and we were all thinking

top 6.  The players and coaches loved him; thought he was the real deal.

Something really went sideways with him.  Maybe the messy coaching changes and how badly

the team was playing.  Very discouraging for him.  Sure hope he can get his game back.  Next

season will be a big one for Podz; he's got to bring it all to the game.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

What I miss in Podz, is how he used to flash down the ice and plow right into the goal mouth and

score.  He seemed so fast and his hustle was amazing.  All those clips from his Russian career and

even when he had his 1st year with the Canucks.  He was an exciting player and we were all thinking

top 6.  The players and coaches loved him; thought he was the real deal.

Something really went sideways with him.  Maybe the messy coaching changes and how badly

the team was playing.  Very discouraging for him.  Sure hope he can get his game back.  Next

season will be a big one for Podz; he's got to bring it all to the game.

I think you hit the important concern with Podz's development. As has been typical with Canuck 1st rdrs Podz was the next coming, the next savior. First under Green and then Boudreau he was rushed way to fast. Media sliced and diced his progress. His time in Abby will serve him well. He can settle into NHL play on the 4th line and look for opportunity. I also have great hope for him under Tocchet this fall. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not so sure about people saying Podz will have a DJ season this year. I think Podz has more to give, for sure, but I don’t think he has the soft hands that Joshua has. Podz is a bit of a tease, making great power forward moves but then no finish. 

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

I’m not so sure about people saying Podz will have a DJ season this year. I think Podz has more to give, for sure, but I don’t think he has the soft hands that Joshua has. Podz is a bit of a tease, making great power forward moves but then no finish. 

Joshua was also showing far more than Podz even prior to his arrival. He was a solid NHL level 4th line guy in St. Louis. Podz can't even stick in the NHL outside of his rookie year thus far. He needs to take a big step this year. Either he needs to be dominant in Abbotsford or make the big club. Anything less at his age (now 23) will make me pretty strongly feel he won't live up to his potential.

The kid lacks confidence, and he needs to fix that before he makes any progress, if he ever will...at this point it's doubtful, he's shown shit since his rookie season...when he gets opportunities, he should REALLY give er bullets and impress, not pull a Brendan Gaunce and wet the bed, like in his latest 19 game no-show:image.thumb.png.4070b0a1ce097648e13e016474614fff.png

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Joshua was also showing far more than Podz even prior to his arrival. He was a solid NHL level 4th line guy in St. Louis. Podz can't even stick in the NHL outside of his rookie year thus far. He needs to take a big step this year. Either he needs to be dominant in Abbotsford or make the big club. Anything less at his age (now 23) will make me pretty strongly feel he won't live up to his potential.

Joshua struggled to stay in the Blues lineup. His last year in St. Louis he played more games in the NHL than he did in the NHL. A bit of a stretch to say he was a solid 4th line guy. Joshua is what 5 years older than Podz. I don't disagree that Podz has to make real strides this year. If he doesn't make the Canucks coming out of camp I suspect he plays the entire year in Abby or gets traded. I doubt PA will risk losing him on waivers. Camp is going to be very crowded.  

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Joshua struggled to stay in the Blues lineup. His last year in St. Louis he played more games in the NHL than he did in the NHL. A bit of a stretch to say he was a solid 4th line guy. Joshua is what 5 years older than Podz. I don't disagree that Podz has to make real strides this year. If he doesn't make the Canucks coming out of camp I suspect he plays the entire year in Abby or gets traded. I doubt PA will risk losing him on waivers. Camp is going to be very crowded.  

I will grant you the age difference, but at the time, it was much less.

You're also correct--I mis-remembered and he still wasn't a regular in the NHL in St. Louis. His first consistent year as an NHLer was in 2022-23 when he was 26 with Vancouver. Maybe Podz will need three more years!

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I will grant you the age difference, but at the time, it was much less.

You're also correct--I mis-remembered and he still wasn't a regular in the NHL in St. Louis. His first consistent year as an NHLer was in 2022-23 when he was 26 with Vancouver. Maybe Podz will need three more years!

Power forwards do tend to take longer to reach their potential. I could see 2 to 3 years being the window where Podz will begin to shine.

• Like 1

Just now, Fantomex said:

Power forwards do tend to take longer to reach their potential. I could see 2 to 3 years being the window where Podz will begin to shine.

I tend to agree with that, but I can't help but hear "Jake Virtanen" when I hear that.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I tend to agree with that, but I can't help but hear "Jake Virtanen" when I hear that.

At least nobody is calling Pods the next Bertuzzi.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Virtanen did improve each and every season other than his final season. He did show progression and never saw offensive opportunities on PP1, net empty, skilled line mates etc. he had some learning experiences to go through as do all players. He had to learn what it takes to be a true pro. The fitness, dieting, offseason.. that was his struggle, which he did start showing he was starting to understand. Sure on paper he had poor production…. But if you actually look into it a little further, Travis Green was the fucking reason.

a guy puts up 18g 18a 36pts came into camp in shape and then the following season he shows up in shape again and gets demoted and sees his offensive zone distribution get cut significantly. He goes from 52.7%oZS to 38.0% at 5v5

Right after he just had his most productive fucking season. Like wtf????

all situations 55.1%oZS to 39.6%.

Virtanen had much higher takeaways than giveaways, our goalies every single season had very very solid on ice sv% when JV was on the ice and rarely got scored against and that’s with a career sub 50 oZS distribution. 
Green saw him as a better defensive zone player than pretty much any other option and he sacrificed Virtanen’s offensive contribution for defensive zone leverage.

10 goals against in 38 games played in all situations. Ten fucking goals that’s it. With 39% dzone starts.

as for the pick??? Who picked him vs who wanted him?

JB took over shortly before that draft. Francesco Aquaweenie wanted Virtanen, HE was the one who made it clear Virtanen was their guy and the scouts in place did their scouting on him and that was the guy they were taking. Immediately following that draft, JB changed the department.  and his guy that Boston took was Pasta, Boston was scared JB would take him, but because McCunt dropped so far they took BPA. 

Edited by AnthonyG