Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Craig button had Jake nailed as a second round pick. I know many scouts had him in the top ten tho.

Yea and it was Aquaweenie who wanted Virtanen. JB just took the job and was the voice for the selection on a guy he spent little to no time scouting. If you go look at Bostons 2014 draft and then the rest of their drafts after JB left, he was no slouch at all. Bostons drafting fell a part completely. Ours improved exponentially.

There's no better way to describe Podz's game than a disappointment, so far.

The scouting reports were fabulous and his final year with KHL; especially

the playoffs looked very good indeed.

His 1st season as a 20yr old playing in the NHL showed a lot of promise.

There's been a lot of speculation as to what happened to his game later.

I won't bother going into that, as we already know these opinions.

The bottom line is that he is no longer waiver exempt, so he can't be sent

down to Abby.  He needs to make the team and show enough improvement

that he can outplay anyone else contending for the 4th line position. As

long as he can continue to improve his game, he'll stay with the team.

The coaching and management staff seem to think that Podz has

potential that he hasn't really shown yet. They are giving him a fair chance

to prove himself.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea and it was Aquaweenie who wanted Virtanen. JB just took the job and was the voice for the selection on a guy he spent little to no time scouting. If you go look at Bostons 2014 draft and then the rest of their drafts after JB left, he was no slouch at all. Bostons drafting fell a part completely. Ours improved exponentially.

lol... praises Benning's scouting prodigee. But thinks that he would have no clue who to draft in 2014 just coming from Boston working in high management. 

Ok. 

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Joshua was also showing far more than Podz even prior to his arrival. He was a solid NHL level 4th line guy in St. Louis. Podz can't even stick in the NHL outside of his rookie year thus far. He needs to take a big step this year. Either he needs to be dominant in Abbotsford or make the big club. Anything less at his age (now 23) will make me pretty strongly feel he won't live up to his potential.

I've always thought Podkolzin lacked the production to be as highly touted as he was. Dorofeyev for example out-produced Podkolzin in their draft year but didn't go until the 3rd round. His production never really justified him being ranked in the top 10 (and apparently as high as 4th) by a number of scouts, but he was always viewed as a good two-way high leadership guy. But it's always seemed like he should have been more of a mid to late round pick. It's also why my hope was that he could become a similar player to Dustin Brown.

However, Larionov trusted him to captain the Russian U20 team and he has enough physical tools that at the very least he should be able to make the NHL and a 3rd line checking forward. I'm still hopeful he can become something more, but this coming season I'd just like to see him make the team full-time. Along with Miller, DeBrusk might be another guy for him to try and model his game after.

33 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Benning was the AGM for Boston up until one month before the 2014 draft.  Wouldn't he have already had his prospects list nailed down and had his team look at all of the top 10 prospects including Virtanen?  I find it impossible to believe that Benning had no clue who Virtanen was and that Boston spent zero time scouting him considering he was a top 10 prospect and a power forward...

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

lol... praises Benning's scouting prodigee. But thinks that he would have no clue who to draft in 2014 just coming from Boston working in high management. 

Ok. 

Umm Boston was drafting in the bottom 6, we drafted top 6 and lower half of the mid first round. McCann was ranked much higher than where he fell to. We took BPA and there is an article from that 2014 draft on Boston selecting Pastrnak and how they we’re worried Benning would take him, but luckily for them McCunt fell in the draft which led us to take BPA.

• Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning was the AGM for Boston up until one month before the 2014 draft.  Wouldn't he have already had his prospects list nailed down and had his team look at all of the top 10 prospects including Virtanen?  I find it impossible to believe that Benning had no clue who Virtanen was and that Boston spent zero time scouting him considering he was a top 10 prospect and a power forward...

Benning was a moran. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Umm Boston was drafting in the bottom 6, we drafted top 6 and lower half of the mid first round. McCann was ranked much higher than where he fell to. We took BPA and there is an article from that 2014 draft on Boston selecting Pastrnak and how they we’re worried Benning would take him, but luckily for them McCunt fell in the draft which led us to take BPA.

Could there have been an agreement between us a Boston that certain players were not to be drafted by us until after Boston had their first pick? Could have been as part of the hire of Benning? 

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You don’t invest all your scouting time and research in the top 10 if you’re picking bottom 6. It’s common sense. You’ll look like a fucking idiot trying to select Draisiatl at 27th when he’s already gone. You don’t invest your time in an unrealistic pick, you tailor your scouting roughly to where you know you will be drafting as the year progresses. You want to make sure you find those key details that separates a boom from a bust that much lower in the draft. It’s already lower odds, so do everything you can to increase your odds as best as possible. Why do you think Benning took advice from the scouts and put a ton of eyes on Pettersson and made an off the board pick at 5th overall when his final projected ranking was 17th.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Could there have been an agreement between us a Boston that certain players were not to be drafted by us until after Boston had their first pick? Could have been as part of the hire of Benning? 

Nope and that’s why Boston was concerned. He wasnt allowed to take any documents/paper information and shit like that, but he already knew the plan.

edit: there may have been a mutual agreement, but there is nothing Boston could enforce. Benning could have taken Pastrnak but McCann fell and that’s what ultimately probably saved them. 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Nope and that’s why Boston was concerned. He wasnt allowed to take any documents/paper information and shit like that, but he already knew the plan.

Then Benning is even a bigger moran than I thought. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You don’t invest all your scouting time and research in the top 10 if you’re picking bottom 6. It’s common sense. You’ll look like a fucking idiot trying to select Draisiatl at 27th when he’s already gone. You don’t invest your time in an unrealistic pick, you tailor your scouting roughly to where you know you will be drafting as the year progresses. You want to make sure you find those key details that separates a boom from a bust that much lower in the draft. It’s already lower odds, so do everything you can to increase your odds as best as possible. Why do you think Benning took advice from the scouts and put a ton of eyes on Pettersson and made an off the board pick at 5th overall when his final projected ranking was 17th.

I do agree with that.  However, teams do trade up in the draft and have a draft board that ranks every player.  Boston scouts may not have paid as close attention to Virtanen as Vancouver scouts, but they certainly knew who he was and had to at least give him a ranking on their board.

Also, Bob McKenzie had Petey at #7...

McKenzie's Draft Ranking: Top 93 and honourable mentions - TSN.ca

18 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

In fairness to Benning, he went BPA on both picks...

10 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

lol.. if I hired a GM and he told me he had no clue who to draft with the #6 pick (even if the GM was just newly hired), I would fire him. 

And the thing about Aquilini demanding to draft Virtanen, did you pull that out of a hat? 

9 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol.. if I hired a GM and he told me he had no clue who to draft with the #6 pick (even if the GM was just newly hired), I would fire him. 

And the thing about Aquilini demanding to draft Virtanen, did you pull that out of a hat? 

Tell me who scouted Virtanen the closest? Boston or Vancouver? You think in just a few weeks you could confidently say you know who to take at number 6 and disregard the entire scouting departments work for an entire season and say they, the ones who watched closely, were the ones who were wrong?

it was another poster a long while back who broke the rumour that Aquaweenie wanted Virtanen, homegrown BC boy power forward with speed, skill and physicality, ranked in the top 10 and very close to where he was taken... You think Aqualini who is a known meddling owner wouldn’t want to have any say in a home grown potential super star???? Do you not see how that type of pick is not just a pick from an organizational needs standpoint but the business side of things too? Coming from a filthy greedy rich businessman, who owns this team and has been labeled with a control issue, yea I don’t fucking doubt it one bit.

We can all cry about our meddling owner but no one here knows what or when he meddled just all conjecture , maybe Benning had a love for Virt, who the hell knows. We were just bad at developing picks and you you can't lay all the blame on Aqua for that. Benning did a poor job in free agency and contract signing also, but but but damn you Aqua

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

So Olli instead of Brady, mmm, let me think a sec? YRPBhd3vscg5Fxx1DQ.webp

It was Matthew, but yeah.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1