Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

On 7/8/2024 at 11:41 AM, Alflives said:

At 6OA was Virtanen BPA? 

I remember there being a clear cut top 5 and then the next 4 forwards (Ehlers, Nylander, Virtanen, Ritchie) were lumped together. I think for the most part Nylander was the consensus #6 but basically it was a question of do you choose the skilled forward (Nylander/Ehlers) or the potential power forward (Virtanen/Ritchie).

They all had knocks against them. Nylander and Ehlers were viewed as possibly too small (even though they were both measured at 5'11" at the combine), Virtanen had all the physical tools but hockey sense was always a question, and Ritchie was a poor skater.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, -AJ- said:

That's not a Moran!

Moran: An unmarried Maasai or Samburu warrior. 

Moron: A stupid person.

Don't be a moron by spelling "moron" as "moran"!

(I'm sorry, but it brings out the teacher in me! LOL!!)

• Cheers 1

Just now, MathIsFun said:

See also: Brad Moran, former Vancouver Canuck.

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2024 at 10:04 AM, higgyfan said:

There's no better way to describe Podz's game than a disappointment, so far.

The scouting reports were fabulous and his final year with KHL; especially

the playoffs looked very good indeed.

His 1st season as a 20yr old playing in the NHL showed a lot of promise.

There's been a lot of speculation as to what happened to his game later.

I won't bother going into that, as we already know these opinions.

The bottom line is that he is no longer waiver exempt, so he can't be sent

down to Abby.  He needs to make the team and show enough improvement

that he can outplay anyone else contending for the 4th line position. As

long as he can continue to improve his game, he'll stay with the team.

The coaching and management staff seem to think that Podz has

potential that he hasn't really shown yet. They are giving him a fair chance

to prove himself.

Hes had such a weird journey though with teams played, deployment to injuries.

Its unfortunate. But it is his path and I hope he can figure it out here before he runs out of organizational rope and needs to move elsewhere to progress. 

He has the tools and the work ethic to be a nhl player. I like the kid a lot and hope he can stick this year.

• Cheers 2

When you track his progress through various leagues I think it's mostly a confidence thing.  I think they need to let him play with the freedom of allowing a mistake or two with the puck so he makes/creates higher danger chances with the puck.

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, MathIsFun said:

Brian knows best. 
image.thumb.jpeg.c298f73efacbcb6422ddb9d6d2203478.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Tell me who scouted Virtanen the closest? Boston or Vancouver? You think in just a few weeks you could confidently say you know who to take at number 6 and disregard the entire scouting departments work for an entire season and say they, the ones who watched closely, were the ones who were wrong?

it was another poster a long while back who broke the rumour that Aquaweenie wanted Virtanen, homegrown BC boy power forward with speed, skill and physicality, ranked in the top 10 and very close to where he was taken... You think Aqualini who is a known meddling owner wouldn’t want to have any say in a home grown potential super star???? Do you not see how that type of pick is not just a pick from an organizational needs standpoint but the business side of things too? Coming from a filthy greedy rich businessman, who owns this team and has been labeled with a control issue, yea I don’t fucking doubt it one bit.

You are quoting from posters and think it is real? That's worse than believing in blog posts. 

By the way, Benning was the one who announced the Virtanen pick. You think he'd stake his name on it if this wasn't his pick? He coulda gotten someone else to announce the pick on the podium, but he did it himself. Benning was hired on May 23 2014. The draft was on June 27 2014. To say that Benning didn't make the Virtnanen pick is just..... preposterous. But. As expected in forum speculation and every day chit chat. 

Edited by Drakrami

11 hours ago, Drakrami said:

You are quoting from posters and think it is real? That's worse than believing in blog posts. 

By the way, Benning was the one who announced the Virtanen pick. You think he'd stake his name on it if this wasn't his pick? He coulda gotten someone else to announce the pick on the podium, but he did it himself. Benning was hired on May 23 2014. The draft was on June 27 2014. To say that Benning didn't make the Virtnanen pick is just..... preposterous. But. As expected in forum speculation and every day chit chat. 

Gee thanks tips, the GM announced the pick. WOW.

how many games do you think JB was able to watch of Virtanen, then watch the exact same amount of footage and study the same reports, for the other possible selections in and around that pick? Or hey how about the Ryan Kesler trade??? What do you think he really needs to devote his time to? A draft pick that was scouted all year long by our scouting department, A rumoured favourite of Aquaweenie’s?? Or a highly pressing issue of a disgruntled Ryan Kesler. Funny enough leading up to the draft and on that very day he traded Kesler for Bonino, Sbisa, 1st and 3rd. Kesler nixed the trade to Chicago which left Benning having to scramble. If you think he was lackadaisically trading Kesler and not having to keep going back and forth and find the right trade partner who Kesler would waive for and had pieces that Benning wanted, you sir are dead wrong. The scouting department does their job, they advise the GM, meanwhile the GM deals with all the other shit behind the scenes such as negotiations, trades etc. There are people who have jobs to assist in giving the best information possible to help make a pick.

You don’t think it’s strange he changed the scouting department right after? Obviously wasn’t pleased with their work. You think if he gave zero fucks about them he wouldn’t just fire them right there, hire his guys, get them to review all the tapes and give their answer? You don’t think he lacked trust in the scouting department when he himself spent a fair share of time watching Brock Boeser in person himself? Kinda funny how different the 6th vs 23rd overall pick outcomes were with Virtanen vs Boeser. One guy JB hardly looked at, the other was taken so much lower in the draft with a much lower likelihood of becoming an impact player.

edit: should also add that there was the Garisson trade to deal with.

oh… and an entire coaching staff to replace. Which was completed June 23rd 2014.

so yea.. you wanna tell me Jim Benning strong armed our owner and scouting department into taking Virtanen while only taking a glance, while dealing with everything I just listed plus other stuff we probably don’t know about. LOL OKAY BUD.

Edited by AnthonyG

I think Podz actually improved a lot in the AHL last year, he should be a decent bottom 6 player. Not the top-line power forward we were hoping for with a #10 pick, but I think he still has a future as a decent NHL player. His point totals don't jump off the page from his 23/24 AHL season, but he was a high-effort, high shot volume player. Maybe not the most consistent offensively, but definitely consistent with his effort. Still has upside as a middle 6 player imo.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

I think Podz actually improved a lot in the AHL last year, he should be a decent bottom 6 player. Not the top-line power forward we were hoping for with a #10 pick, but I think he still has a future as a decent NHL player. His point totals don't jump off the page from his 23/24 AHL season, but he was a high-effort, high shot volume player. Maybe not the most consistent offensively, but definitely consistent with his effort. Still has upside as a middle 6 player imo.

I hope that fans will be more realistic about Podz potential in the NHL.  I agree your evaluation as a bottom 6

player who might fill in on the 2nd if there are injuries.  I will be happy if he ends up on the 3rd line; not as a

Joshua type player, but more like a big version of Garland.

Podz is well liked by the players, coaches, management and fans.  I don't want to see huge disappointment

from the fan base due to their overvaluation of his skill set. We all know how nasty that can become.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

I honestly think this is the year Podz goes from boy to man in a mental and physical sense.

Married, new dad, really likes the team, they like him, this year could see him turn into a real professional NHL player.

GCG

I agree.  
I think he starts on the 4th and makes a really solid case for breaking up the chemistry of the 3rd line to move him up.   
Definitely spends some time with Miller.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I agree.  
I think he starts on the 4th and makes a really solid case for breaking up the chemistry of the 3rd line to move him up.   

Spending time with dad,,, if you saw the video clip it was great.

19 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I agree.  

Podz: Pass it to me Dad!

Miller: Here you go Son!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/latest-news/canucks-podkolzin-records-multi-point-performance-in-2024-nhl-vs-khl-all-star-match

Canucks Podkolzin Records Multi-Point Performance In 2024 NHL vs. KHL All-Star Match

Vasily Podkolzin participated in the All-Star Match for Team NHL this past weekend in Moscow.

Vancouver Canucks forward Vasily Podkolzin left his mark on the NHL vs. KHL All-Star Match this past weekend. In what was an 8-8 final, Podkolzin scored Team NHL's seventh goal while also recording the primary assist on Dmitry Voronkov's first goal of the night. Team NHL also featured a former Canucks forward behind the bench as Igor Larionov was one of the three coaches at the event

• Like 1

You can tell Podkolzin was feeling himself again prior to his concussion in Abbotsford. He looked like he re-gained form as the former 1st round pick.

He was a near point per game, and really seemed to push the play. When he returned though, he looked like he was trying to find his game and confidence again. I still believe he can be a difference maker, but time is running out and if he doesn't come in blazing hot in training camp, likely he is wearing another team's jersey.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

If we let him go... Because he's not ready and management is impatient and stupid as fuck... I swear to God... He'll turn into a Neely sort of player.  Not as many points but as invaluable, heart and soul, clutch and tough.  Mark my words.  And then the doubters here will say... "yah but he was never going to be this good in Van... Blah, blah, blah. 

• Vintage 1

Podkolzin is just my favorite player on this team.
what a work ethic, what a personality.

hope he will have the same chances as Suter had last season.
for me, he's the perfect 3rd member of the DeBrusk Petey line.

• Vintage 1

22 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

If we let him go... Because he's not ready and management is impatient and stupid as fuck... I swear to God... He'll turn into a Neely sort of player.  Not as many points but as invaluable, heart and soul, clutch and tough.  Mark my words.  And then the doubters here will say... "yah but he was never going to be this good in Van... Blah, blah, blah. 

So if he doesn't impress I'm camp then what do you do? He requires waivers now so you can TRY to sneak him through, but a team with little depth and no current cupnadpueationa might claim him to fill a roster spot.  So do you let him ve the 13th forward and ride the pressbox for most of the season? How does that help him develop? Based on all the bottom 6 ufa signings it doesn't seem like they're expecting him to make a push for a spot 

12 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

So if he doesn't impress I'm camp then what do you do? He requires waivers now so you can TRY to sneak him through, but a team with little depth and no current cupnadpueationa might claim him to fill a roster spot.  So do you let him ve the 13th forward and ride the pressbox for most of the season? How does that help him develop? Based on all the bottom 6 ufa signings it doesn't seem like they're expecting him to make a push for a spot 

If he struggles in camp... You have him as 13 forward and get him extra reps in practice and any one on one with any coach/trainer or therapist to see if they can get him over that last hump.  Some guys take longer... Period.  BUT, if somehow none of that works, then their hand might be forced.  However, if that's the case, I think they should wait until trade deadline to pull trigger. 

27 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

If he struggles in camp... You have him as 13 forward and get him extra reps in practice and any one on one with any coach/trainer or therapist to see if they can get him over that last hump.  Some guys take longer... Period.  BUT, if somehow none of that works, then their hand might be forced.  However, if that's the case, I think they should wait until trade deadline to pull trigger. 

If he's the 13th forward then waiting for the trade deadline will have zero effect on his trade value. He wont return much in that situation whether it's January or March 

I really hope we give him opportunities up the lineup to get him going.  As discussed before, I do see him as a possible late bloomer, though he did start his first season with 26 points in 74 games already so for folks saying he's behind Joshua I must beg to differ (Joshua only broke out in his 26 year old season, whereas he had 9 points in 42 games in his first two seasons where he was in the league, so he wasn't some ready-made power forward).  

We know what guys like Heinen, Sprong, Sherwood etc. can do, but I think at least at the start of the season they should give him at offensive role to exhibit what he could do with a playmaker.  With the right confidence and deployment I think he could be a 35 point guy with a strong all-around game.  Guys like Sherwood and Sprong can still get theirs in bottom-6 minutes, whereas Podkolzin might get buried in the depth chart for good if he's stuck in a bottom-6, defensive role.

Edited by Phil_314